[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How difficult is your first programming job out of college? Pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

How difficult is your first programming job out of college? Pic not related unless it describes how you feel.
>>
>>61683209
I was hired fresh out of school and my superiors knew this. So it was a good learning environment with deadlines, so I spent a lot of time learning on blogs and stackoverflow (I had to learn Adobe Flex form nothing).

The first year was tough, the second year was fun and any subsequent years are now boring.
>>
>>61683209
I was given nigh impossible tasks of achitecturing out enterprise software and administration fresh out of college. Was funny how they thought i was going to do that. Next job i actually learned things and got gud
>>
picture describes how I feel but it's not what your thinking it's not because of my experiences finding a programming job right out of college because thats not my profession but rather I feel like the picture you posted because you were born and because you posted this question
>>
Like running rusty razors up your balls all day, but now it's a bit easier
>>
>>61683209
>Pic not related unless it describes how you feel.
Thats one of the best movies I've ever seen. Still gives me fucking shivers.
>>
>>61683209
My first job was actually way before college, straight out of highschool not even completed it.

But after college it was a far easier job, making cashregisters, erp & booking systems etc. Walk in the park. Kinda boring though
>>
>>61683512
Did they fire you?
>>
what .mov, anon?
>>
>>61683626
No, i asked them for a raise and then quit when i didnt get it and had a recruiter find me a better job
>>
>>61683680
Kickass
>>
>>61683567
What's it from?
>>
>>61684165
come and see
>>
>>61684206
That kid was a great actor. Looked like he was legitimately fucked up for life.
>>
File: 1492294032603.jpg (222KB, 914x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1492294032603.jpg
222KB, 914x1200px
>>61683209
Pic related
>>
>>61683209
Android educational apps. the hardest part was all the standards that needed to be followed to the letter. quit a year later and been working alone since.
it taught me that deadlines are for pussies. android SDK is shit, never again. and that you can only make real money when working for yourself.
>>
I'm in my second year(CS).

You guys got any tip?
What would you say I should do to find work or start working in this field?

Can I do it now without a degree?
>>
>>61684165
>What's it from?
>>61684206
>come and see
>>61684225
>That kid was a great actor. Looked like he was legitimately fucked up for life.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

One of the best films ever. Probably the best WW2 movie ever... because it's not a glorification of war and doesn't showcase war in a positive light.
>>
>>61684400
look for internships, it'll help a little more when you graduate.
>>
>>61684437
Thanks
>>
File: 016_image.jpg (95KB, 372x361px) Image search: [Google]
016_image.jpg
95KB, 372x361px
my day
>welp guess i'll work from home today
>jack off and shitpost on 4chan all day
>do the days work just before bed
"maybe i'll do better tomorrow"
>>
>>61684400
Internships. Seriously.
Some pay very well.

I was making $20/hr as an intern while still in school.
>>
>>61684572
My day:
>git branch -b refactor-[some component that's horribly written and nearly impossible to understand that i'm really tired of trying to maintain]
>spend 6 hours trying to clean up the code
>make a build, send it to testers
>gets rejected because it broke something I didn't even know was affected
>git checkout master
>git branch -d
>clock out, go home
>do it again tomorrow
>>
Larger company's tend to have programs in place to get grads up to speed. If you don't have the opportunity to intern anywhere I'd like look at bigger places instead of startups.
>>
how much do programmers usually get paid?
>>
>>61684847
Depending where you live.. but 50k is generally the minimum / entry. Much higher if you get in at a nice place. I started at 70k with Shopify
>>
>>61683209
It should be easy if you freaking practice, you darned numbskull!
>>
>>61684870
wtf /biz/ told me 90k starting
>>
File: 1501628049675.jpg (705KB, 1836x2295px) Image search: [Google]
1501628049675.jpg
705KB, 1836x2295px
Not as difficult as becoming Kevin Parnell
>>
>>61684887
he fell for the compact shill
>>
>>61684930
compsci

I fell for the autocorrect shill
>>
>>61684887
Tech and finance hubs have an alright chance of landing $90k out of college, but the cost of living is substantially higher.
>>
really want a programming job in a smaller town close to nature/trees/mountains, it's fucking hard. just looking at glassdoor, the entire state of vermont has like 500 listings whereas a decently large metro area like Minneapolis has 4k.

Manchester, New Hampshire has 700 listings in total, but I'm unsure if that's enough to move over there and hope I can land one over time
>>
>>61684987
Look into defense contractors.
Military bases are all over the country, and most of them do some kind of software.

Logistics, simulations, commerce, you name it and some defense contractor out there does it - and often in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>61684887
Yeah, you may get that much or possibly more in Silicon Valley etc, but living there is also incredibly expensive.
>>
>>61684987
Going to school around there for CS right now. It's pretty cheap and there's some decent stuff around, as well as that wilderness you're looking for. I'd say you could do worse.
>>
>>61684244
What's the ISBN? I can't find it on Amazon.
>>
>>61685300
are you retarded?

you can make custom books from orelly

https://dev.to/rly
>>
>>61683209
that depends on how well you networked with your fellows and professors, and if you did internships and left a favorable impression
>>
>>61685140
which school? also considering transferring to the area for my final two years to begin networking
>>
File: 1493015419633.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1493015419633.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>>61684887
Not without a maths degree
>>
berkeley undergrad here now working an entry position at some faceless enterprise java shithole. After you read up on whatever framework they're entrenched in, each sprint is about the difficulty of a data structures weekly programming assignment except you get a month to do it. But you're gonna need the entire month cause your retard indian teammates keep demanding explanations with every function you write even though they really don't have anything to do with it so they can regurgitate it to your manager to make it look like they're doing more than jack shit. Fuck you Arun&Rahaj.
>>
Worked as a developer in a database team for my first 3 years out of college. I was a god on their team. There were only two hardcore guys, and they were hardcore with shell scripts and Linux (very respectable, surely). But not a single person knew an actual programming language.
>>
>>61683209
Still one semester away from graduation in electronics engineering, my first job as an intern require a lot of self-learning. It was not easy, but not impossible. In most cases, if you have good coding practices and discipline, an entry level job should not be so difficult as a jr developer.
>>
File: mgth.jpg (18KB, 188x202px) Image search: [Google]
mgth.jpg
18KB, 188x202px
>>61683209
If you can land a gig during your last semester it is really a lifesaver. That or nepotism.
Took me ~7 months of playing the recruiting game. Hr is awful at discriminating between bulshitters and the real deal. They want literally superman, confidence is key.
Have an extremely positive attitude and know the basics very well.
>Apply to everything which is entry-mid level
>do not waste time with pajeet recruiters
>92% of recruiters are a waste of time
>have a fucking great resume
>work on projects in free time
>work a part time gig for sanity
>filling out resume's sucks
>do 50 a week, hear back from 3-7
>maybe an in person interview with 1 or 2

Literally prepare for dozens of rejections
>>
>>61684870
>>61684887

50,000 dollars?

I am in the UK studying Computer science at Uni just because I am interested in computers where everyone says the average graduate salary (not for cs grads just grads in general) out of Uni is 20k pounds (around $26,000).
>>
File: generate.png (204KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
generate.png
204KB, 500x700px
>>61685327
>>61685300

Nice
>>
File: n6mcQPp.png (137KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
n6mcQPp.png
137KB, 267x400px
>>61684887
you better be double major in math, math minor, or specializing in statistics if you are trying to do that
>>
>>61686386
raw and solid advice
>>
At first I was running circles in programming around all my fellow coworkers, had the impression they never got done anything.

Then gradually as I gained "experience" and saw the implications of cowboy programming I spent more and more days crafting 20 lines of C.

I have the impression that the more I work the less I know about stuff, it's very difficult to keep afloat of current technologies or to improve yourself.

For example I thought I had a good grasp of python, now I can merely do basic stuff without looking.

Yes, there is such a thing as negative experience, I hope this ends one day.
>>
>>61687914
it's basically the opposite with me. I spend too much time perfecting the little details that people think i don't work productively enough.

>Yes, there is such a thing as negative experience, I hope this ends one day.
but what did he mean by this?
>>
>>61686386
This is good advice.

I applied for over 100 places for internships and ended up getting one at a big tech company. It's a lot of just shooting in the dark.

>>61687286
UK has terrible software engineer salaries, but also terrible software engineers, so it makes sense.
>>
Going into my second year of college at 25 years old but a good friend of mine has already graduated and got a job fresh out of his state school with Lockheed Martin working on random shit.
He loves it, we're always talking about it. He feels overqualified for the work they're giving him but still fulfilled in his work. I don't think this is the normal experience. It seems his story is more of the exception than the rule but it still serves as my motivation for now.
Just try to study hard even if you don't want to and take a real joy in the field then hope employers can see your enthusiasm as genuine. They even gave him a relocation package and like 60k(50k? don't remember, i have no idea what i would even do with that much money i've lived on ~12k a year for 7 years on my own now)
>>
>>61683209
just pick a time when you are goodwith money from parents, and go shitting tinterviews, get to learn their needs, and get used to the system, get a job, stay 6-12 months, try the next one
>>
>>61683680
How much did the recruiter charge?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.