[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/ 08/01/new-test-pilot-exp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/08/01/new-test-pilot-experiments/

mozilla have completely lost the plot; they're wasting time and money on shit like this instead of a compatibility shim for firefox addons.

you know, the thing that is 90% of the reason anyone even uses firefox in the first place? they think they're clever for ditching the thing that brought people to firefox in the first place, but they're just being bullheaded about all this.

I understand some people's argument that these non-webextension addons are somehow holding firefox back in terms of speed, but the truth is actually nothing of the sort:
1. they don't want addons having any sort of control to how the browser itself behaves
2. they think making webextensions easily portable to chrome extensions will bring in new users

at this point we're basically holding water in our hands.

I'm just tired of this shit.
>>
>>61678697
>all of the screenshots are from mac
Hmmm, really makes you think.
>>
>>61678697
Fuck off, Firefox Screenshots is one of the best things to ever happen to the browser, there's no more need to install extra add-ons contributing to the bloat.
>>
>>61679445
See, this is what I hate; mozilla apologists.

Easy Screenshot is the furthest thing from "bloat" you'll find as an extension, and the fact that mozilla doesn't have to worry about breaking it nor even spend an ounce of thought about maintaining it is part of why they never needed to integrate that feature in the first place.

features that add functions to the browser should always remain addons and the focus of the browser can be performance while still allowing addons to modify and extend its core functions.

but what they're doing is essentially locking out modifications to the browser in favor of conforming to the limitations they're imposing without any benefits.

few of the features they're integrating into the browser itself are actually being used, and that figure will be even smaller if there was actual widespread use of the browser. as it stands only the few and the informed actually use firefox anymore. and only then only a small set of those use those features.
>>
>>61678697
>mozilla have completely lost the plot; they're wasting time and money on shit like this instead of a compatibility shim for firefox addons.

There's already a compatibility shim for the addons, the shims are part of the problem. They degrade performance and hinder development. 57 they remove them and let the pieces fall where they may
>>
>>61681906
>57 they remove the only useful feature differentiating them from another generic Chrom* like Vivaldi
If I wanted a free, secure browser that I COULDN'T change the UI of, I'd be using a Chrom*
>>
B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T
>>
File: duckduckbotnet.png (2MB, 1701x8000px) Image search: [Google]
duckduckbotnet.png
2MB, 1701x8000px
DuckDuck Go is a botnet, as is Firefox without the security tweaks, but unlike Chromium it gives you the ability to tweak.
>>
>>61678697
test
>>
>>61678697
What I do not understand myself is why they do not directly develop for Chrome.
They have committed browser sudoku and as a result FF market share is about to disappear once 57 hits.
>>
>>61678697
>voice fill
>implying this is them losing it in any way

do you even accessibility
>but that's progressivist and humanitarian bullshit

literally every other stt solution is either A. shit or B. proprietary
>>
>>61682148
I use Seamonkey.
>>
>>61682401

>lets switch our entire base for some proprietary garbage

Look mom I'm retarded.
>>
>>61683184
Since when chromium is proprietary.
>>
>>61683191

Since having google dictating every change in it, having source code online doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>61683235
You seem to use some meme definition of proprietary. Have a nice delusional day.
>>
>>61682377
To add to this, CuckCuckGo results are frustratingly off-the-mark in a lot of queries.
>>
>>61683235
it's FLOSS, you can make any changes you want
>>
>>61678697
nice blog post
>>
>>61682401
>browser sudoku
lel
>>
>>61678697

>Greatest TNG epsiodes
>1. The Inner Light

lol
>>
>>61683251
>>61683429

>source code is under an open source license so it'll be developed in the interest of the people instead of Google managers even when 99. 9% of devs are Google employees

Jesus are you kids naive.
>>
>>61678697

Honestly webExtensions is just gonna make people use chrome because it's faster and has the same add-ons

I think firefox is trying to be competitive with Chrome. If they didn't adopt webExtensions, SDK add-ons would end up like the Windows app store.
>>
>>61678697

Make LibreJS fast again
>>
>Firefox continues its descent into Chrome Lite.

Fucking why?

Firefox will never be the most used browser and that's fine. But it will get even less use if it's just a shittier version of Chrome instead of a powerful customizable browser.
>>
>>61682377
I just use Yandex. Its much better.
>>
Send is gonna be a great way to send pirated videos. :3
>>
>>61687282
it gets deleted after one transfer
>>
I just use qwant
>>
>>61679445
>Fuck off, Firefox Screenshots is one of the best things to ever happen to the browser
It's bloat, pure and simple.
>>
>>61687063
Browser or search?
>>
>>61689572
That's fine if you're just sending to one person.

I actually like the sound of send. Something in browser I can just go *bam* here's a file.
>>
>>61687063
>not hosting your own searx instance
>on a non-botnet server, with let's encrypt HSTS, hardened security headers, self-hosted BIND master/slave Authoratitive DNS host with DNSSEC

Here's some links
https://searx.me/
https://asciimoo.github.io/searx/
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-setup-dnssec-on-an-authoritative-bind-dns-server--2
https://securityheaders.io/
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.