[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Current state of Linux is absolutely deplorable >Ubuntu is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

File: 1484492790472.gif (17KB, 376x175px) Image search: [Google]
1484492790472.gif
17KB, 376x175px
Current state of Linux is absolutely deplorable
>Ubuntu is unusable, Unity in limbo, pointless to use Unity right now
>Arch linux KDE completely broken and Dbus fails after X amount of time forcing you to reboot
>No other popular distrobution that has a sensible default DE/Layout
>Ton of random obscure rinky dink bullshit distros NO ONE ever uses

wat do?
>>
>>61671760
OpenBSD
>>
>>61671760
Forgot
>Gnome is rediculously laggy with even propritary Nvidia drivers, even just scrolling a web page feels like 5fps on average

Tragic
>>
>>61671760
DESIGNATED
>>
>>61671829
SHITTING
>>
File: extreme-tux-racer-14.jpg (43KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
extreme-tux-racer-14.jpg
43KB, 700x525px
>>61671760
>the absolute STATE of linux gaming
rofl
>>
Sounds like you've made a logical error in your implication that your individual subjective experience is a representative sample of the general experience of Linux.
>>
>>61671837
STREETS
>>
>>61671844
o-oh...s-sry
>>
>>61671760
Install macOS. It’s the best of UNIX with a nice GUI ontop of it.
>>
>>61671838
>the current state of shilling
Sad
>>
>>61671760
debian + xfce like a big boy
>>
>Ubuntu is unusable, Unity in limbo, pointless to use Unity right now
Then don't use Ubuntu with Unity. KDE, LXDE, XFCE, Gnome and Mate are there for a reason.
>Arch linux KDE completely broken and Dbus fails after X amount of time forcing you to reboot
Same as above. Don't use Arch with KDE. The other DEs exist for a reason.
>No other popular distrobution that has a sensible default DE/Layout
It's a problem you can correct in under five minutes. Nobody uses the default setting on any DE.
Different strokes for different folks. Nobody is forcing you to use the other distros. If very few people use and maintain them, then let those people do that if they wish. Part of using free software is that you can fork anything you want if you have disagreements with how it's being directed.

tl;dr stop bringing up non-issues
>>
>>61671760
I love the diversity of distros.

I use NixOS. Configurations are deterministic and reproducible, so I can always boot to a previous configuration if, for instance, a graphics driver update breaks something.

The packaging system against which your system configuration is built is just a git repository, the versions are branches, etc. So I can decide to grab a few packages from unstable by modifying my working directory and requesting a new configuration be built. You could use git bisect to debug something, if you wanted.

So many great ideas come out of the variety of Linux distributions; if it was monolithic it'd be much harder to get your idea any support.
>>
>>61671807
Gnome3 is as unusable as unity
>>
The bottom line is that all free software is absolute shit, atleast in relation to its propritary, heavily funded counterpart.

It will never be comparable, no desktop enviorment, window manager, file browser, will ever be as stable, usable, comfy, as Windows or OSX.

You want a good experience? Don't use linux software
>>
>>61671760

Sensible DE? What are you developing? Just using 5 or so virtual terminal without X-Windows is fine for plenty of programming.
>>
>>61671760
> No other popular distrobution that has a sensible default DE/Layout
Nuts.
>>
>>61672009
Lol...by default people think that anyone that wants to use Linux = hardcore developer?

I just want a reasonable fucking computer to do computer things that 99% of the world already does (They use windows and OSX)

I dont want to program. I want to do everything else.

What now?
>>
>>61671999
But Linux is more heavily funded than the Windows or OSX kernel, and so is a lot of software.

Ergo DO use Linux and stop being a retard.
>>
>>61672027
>What now?
Install whatever fucking distro with KDE or awesome or whatever you like, use it.

Very simple.
>>
>>61671760
The current state of Linux is very nice. Go install Manjaro with XFCE and find a flaw in it.

>inb4 some website was down and that's somehow relevant
>>
>>61671760
>KDE is completely broken
It's not 2014. anymore.
https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.10.1.php
https://youtu.be/rfWNjQ_O4BY
https://youtu.be/Uca-eOAqBOM
>>
>>61671760
Install Manjaro GNOME
>>
>>61672027
Most of the market is developers and you only get any benefits if you are interested in how things work and how you can automate your life.

U don't think everyone who uses a computer should be a full time developer.
But using gnu/Linux makes it easier to stick your toes into it.
>>
>>61671760
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>61671760
>using KDE in Arch
I use gnome
>>
>>No other popular distrobution that has a sensible default DE/Layout
>sensible

it's like the world doesn't revolve around you or something

hint: you think configuring things is hard because you are too stupid to back up your changes
>>
INSTALL GENTOO
>>
File: maid_by_kr0npr1nz-d8vn5fz.jpg (799KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
maid_by_kr0npr1nz-d8vn5fz.jpg
799KB, 900x900px
GNU/Linux is great for the user and the developer to an extent. Only when you break out of the GNOME ecosystem do you run into issues. If you stay in GNOME, you will never have problems.

But if you break out of GNOME, issues really start to show. For example, try making a hello world application using pygtk and then running it from pycharm. You must do this while in i3, by the way. You will run into an obscure accessibility dbus error which mysteriously pops up whenever you do pretty much anything ever. You will then find bug reports going back to 2012 referencing it.

GNOME perfected the GNU/Linux desktop. Embrace GNOME and you won't have problems.
>>
>>61672034
what
>>
>piss poor touchpad drivers
>no intuitive way to manage hardware
>systemd
Year of GNU/Linux on desktop NEVER EVER.
>>
>>61671760
Fedora works pretty well for me
>>
File: 1501475870604-g.jpg (75KB, 491x552px) Image search: [Google]
1501475870604-g.jpg
75KB, 491x552px
Just came here to post that I left Linux behind yesterday on my laptop and wiped it in favor of Windows 7. I won't get into it, but fuck Linux and it's quirks/problems. Literally only good as an emergency boot tool for troubleshooting. Other than that, the OS falls on it's face for general and basic use.
>>
>>61673352
good for you
>>
>>61671760
>using DE
>>
Linux isn't normie os, so your problem is that you're trying to use it like some normie from Facebook.
>>
Epic shit linux tux dog shit
>>
File: 1490630303038.jpg (12KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1490630303038.jpg
12KB, 251x242px
>>61671760
Ubuntu MATE and Fedora with XFCE are the only good options at this point.
>>
>all free software is absolute shit.
Agree. I have submited patches for years and what i did only to make it less shitty. Thats what community and contributor driven software anyways. (eg. ShareX)
>>
>>61671760
you're not wrong
KDE is the best DE but it's still a pile of shit
>the shortcuts entry in system settings is just shockingly bad
>default alt-tab switcher is a pile of shit
>parts of the thumbnail grid switcher randomly disappear
etc
>>
>>61671838
you can play dota, though

>>61671760
install xmonad
>>
>Arch linux KDE completely broken

How? I want to know in case I have to take any precautions. I've been using Manjaro KDE for 2 days and had less issues than in different distros (can use mpv with anything right away, can use magnet links on chromium, can use kio-gdrive, no need to "fix" font rendering through any weird process)

Current state of linux is not exactly optimal given that you still are going to come to a point where you need to actually "fix" something. It is progressing and sometimes what doesn't work "can work", the problem comes with the documentation available.

I'll give you an example. I spent 1 month trying to get KDE to play relatively fine with my GPU. I noticed that enabling the compositing manager was the culprit, but what the heck, I wasn't using integrated graphics and I wasn't satisfied. Thought it was KDE being broken.

It was more like an option not being shown to anyone, which is enabling/disabling triple buffering. I turn it off and there we go. Smooth as butter. I can use all the shitty desktop effects I want and it will handle it. Why? I don't know. I legit don't know why these options are hidden away from the user when they could make someone change his opinion on what works and what doesn't. Instead people wave their dicks around and act as though the solution is always to either stop using X feature or deal with what's right in front of you and nothing else.

I can understand not wanting to deal with things like these perfectly. You want your desktop or your laptop to just behave and do a few select things without having to bother with installing shit, and if you don't have enough time you're not going to spend hours trying to look for it on google and forums. But I'm fairly sure that some people turn away from linux because they got a problem that does have a definite fix and they're not looking hard enough for it. Hell I couldn't even use Steam if I had that mentality, because it always has the same trouble upon installation.
>>
>>61671838
Rocket League runs native on Linux distros now. Literally no reason to not install them now
>>
>>61671760
>boo-hoo linux sux because I'm too stupid to use a computer
kill yourself
>>
>>61671999
keep having MSs dick in your anus.. nobody cares
>>
>>61672115
scrolling speed is either god slow or blisteringly fast using trackpad or trackpoint
>>
I have a pc which has i7-4770 and no graphic card.
I want a distro for viewing pdfs/listening music/comfy times.
Currently I am considering:

manjaro i3
xubuntu
fedora xfce

Do you recommend me trying anything else?

I tried hackintosh but it didn't work which is sad.
Btw I use a cheap 5:4 17" monitor
>>
>>61671838
Bioshock infinite runs natively.
>>
>>61671760
hahahahah fucking learn how to use linux then instead of relying on them to get everything working for u damn lmfao
>>
>>61671970
Not an argument. Works fine for me... maybe you're just too much of a retard to work one of the easiest DEs?
>>
>>61677804
Why would you want to learn a shitty meme OS when there are all these great & more functional alternatives?

Masochism isn't for everyone. Just because you like it doesn't mean others like constant pain.
>>
>>61671760
Just use Ubuntu Gnome, Ubuntu is switching to Gnome anyway. Also arch is and always has been shit so just stay away from it.
>>
>>61671760

Why is this a bad thing?
>>
>>61678149
Thinking isn't painful unless you were brainwashed to be a good little slave worker when you were a child. Were you raised as a fundamentalist Christian?
>>
Deepin
>>
Oh it's the daily "the negro tries Linux and fails" thread.
>>
>>61678726
NO ONE ever uses?

Explain yourself.
>>
File: power tie.jpg (15KB, 200x266px) Image search: [Google]
power tie.jpg
15KB, 200x266px
>>61671760
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>61671838
> most advanced machinery mankind has ever produced
>can't conceive other purpose other than gaymes
>>>/v/
>>
File: 3952938820_19b0250d6a.jpg (115KB, 500x423px) Image search: [Google]
3952938820_19b0250d6a.jpg
115KB, 500x423px
>>61678926
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.