[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 24

File: Alpine.png (87KB, 1921x468px) Image search: [Google]
Alpine.png
87KB, 1921x468px
Previously on: >>61648376

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this purpose for safety reasons.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, duckduckgo, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos <something>

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Trying to run Linux on an old computer?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
http://explainshell.com/
>>
>>61662049
Hello I am running Debian 9.0 with the 4.11 Linux Kernel with a Ryzen 1600x

If I start doing a lot of things (many tabs open, ssh in multiple terminals, GIMP open, etc...) my computer locks up

I read that I might have to disable C-states, but I kinda don't want to do that.

Any friendly help for a femanon?
>>
>>61662095
You might wanna run a full memtest.
>>
>>61662095
>Ryzen
enjoy your buggy microcode
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1061546-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
>>
anyone here running a GNU/Hurd based distro?
>>
>>61662219
>Hurd
Even Redox is at a later stage of development than Hurd at this point.
>>
>>61662146
>full memtest.
passed
>>61662154
Literally this person did the same thing as me
> Then I switched down to 2x8GB of CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 and OC'd it to 3200MHz 16-15-15-15-36 @ 1.35V and I haven't seen a Segfault since. I've compiled GHC, Chromium, and Firefox multiple times each.

I have the same memory kit that I OCed with the same timings to 3200

Stay jelly intelfaggit
>>
>>61662095
>femanon
>ryzen
>trip code
There are just so many things wrong with this post.
>>
Anyone use Debian with Docker? How is it?

Also good work on re-renaming /flt/ back to the correct and original name. GNU trolls need to fuck off back to sucking fat ugly Jew dick.
>>
>>61662274
;)
>>
GUI with remote desktop on a web server.
Yay or nay?
>>
>>61662267
Whatever poorjeet, enjoy your IPS
>>
File: 1478483233152.jpg (56KB, 599x769px) Image search: [Google]
1478483233152.jpg
56KB, 599x769px
>>61662049
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: yuuod7ss5l9z.jpg (217KB, 545x686px) Image search: [Google]
yuuod7ss5l9z.jpg
217KB, 545x686px
>>61662436
based stallman
>>
>>61662436
/fglt/ is here:
>>61662025
>>61662025
>>61662025
>>
File: 1501526346954.jpg (177KB, 545x686px) Image search: [Google]
1501526346954.jpg
177KB, 545x686px
>>61662451
>>
>>61662523
Every anon must report the thread this links to
>>
>>61662049
why do we have 4 threads?
>>
>>61662876
Thread spamming GNU haters.
>>
>>61662279
t. shitty apps guy.

Go back to your thread >>61662173
>>
>>61662451
>>61662584
sup reddit
>>
>>61662876
We don't, this is the only legit one.

The "/fglt/" one was created before bump limit, and the other /flt/ was created way after this one.
>>
>>61663004
>The "/fglt/" one was created before bump limit
learn2count
>>
Manjaro installs TLP by default.

Is it good on a desktop or should I remove it for slightly faster boot times?
>>
>>61663034
Bump limit on /g/ is 310, you newfag.
>>
File: 1497730852761.png (176KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1497730852761.png
176KB, 300x360px
>>61663632
plz halp
>>
>>61663583
New thread post was 311. As said, learn2count.
>>
Kinda late for:
Busybox
musl c
clang
llvm
>>
>>61663867
Never too late to shit on GNUjews
>>
>>61663653
also disable copy-on-write since it's counterproductive for databases
>>
Does anyone here use NixOS or GuixSD? Care to share your experiences?
>>
>>61663889
GNU=commies, the exact opposite of jews you retarded drone.
>>
>>61663956
lol, Jews invented communism you asinine cunt
Back to the oven you go
>>
>>61663699
It was 310.
>>
>>61664001
>its the jews, they're out for our money!
>its the jews, they want to destroy capitalism!
kys retard nigger
>>
>>61664001
Ok kid, it's time to go back to /pol/. Tech illiterates like you are not welcome here.
>>
>>61663867
>they're out for our freedom! wtf! I never asked for this! fuck gnu, here are some replacements!
>>
>>61664145
I'm a programmer, as I'm the kind who gets paid for my work, nice try though kike.
>>
>>61664237
JS isn't programming
>>
>>61664261
It can be though it's not what I do. Stay mad neet Jew.
>>
>>61662436
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument.
>>
Should I run hardened linux kernel with arch?
>>
>>61664550
There is no hardened anymore. grsec is proprietary
>>
>>61664789
How about zen?
>>
what is the most secure linux kernel for linux?
>>
>>61664988
GNU Hurd
>>
>>61664988
GNU Linux-libre
>>
>>61665030
This,cause literally nothing works on gnu hurd.
>>
>>61665081
learn2space, dumb phone poster
>>
>>61665108
>cognitive dissonance
>>
Hi.I loose partial internet connection after 1d13h uptime on linux mint.I have tried
restarting the network manager
restarting the router
restarting the modem but only restarting the computer brings back full connection.
>what do you mean by partial loss of internet
I can browse 4chan but cant connect to captcha,can search google,but no site opens outside of most used sites with errors-no comment section etc.
I have no idea where to look.
>>
>>61665531
Your router/modem is shit
>>
>>61665531
>using linux on bare metal
no offence but, lol, linux is nice to tinker with but for serious business use windows
>>
>>61665551
Then why does restarting the computer only solves my problem?
>>
>>61662219
Debian HURD
>>
>>61665531
Just reboot, works flawlessly.
>>
can I install linux on android?
>>
>>61665671
You see i rather go back to windows than restart every 2 days.Thats why i try to solve,it cant be a big problem i think.
>>
>>61665644
Debian GNU/HURD*
>>
Is fedora retard friendly? Does debian have any advantages over it?
>>
So, OP is the one making the anti-GNU threads?
>>
>tfw Alpine
>no one actually talking about alpine
>>
>>61666173
To busy using it

-Posted from my Alpine Linux Computer
>>
>>61665725
I'm using busybox :^)
>>
>tfw borg seems to be the best backup program but you don't want to use it because the name is so much worse than the original (attic)
>>
>>61667539
install gentoo
>>
This is the Death Eater society.
You need not reply to this post, but simply post your greatest accomplishment using Linux in this thread and we will find you and offer you entrance into our society if we are impressed.
>>
>>61667795
I use rm -rf /* --no-preserve-root unironically
>>
>>61667813
>--no-preserve-root
gnu trash
>>
The file chooser in any browser i use,is slot as fuck,it takes 20+ seconds to switched between files in the same folder.
I've checked smart and nothing alarming.
I've run hdparm on all drives and they are all reporting their given speed correctly.
Whats causing this?
>>
how to install linux on windows? pls help
>>
>>61668017
>linux on windows
enjoy your botnet
>>
File: linux.jpg (66KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
linux.jpg
66KB, 480x640px
>>61668031
fuck off
>I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out. There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>>
>>61668092
>I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred
t. guy who is about exclusion and hatred when it comed to GNU
lmao, enjoy your botnet
>>
>>61668017
*anyone?*
>>
Which distro should I use?
I've seen a nice looking one in a webm few weeks ago but I forgot the distro's name.
>>
>>61669811
What are your needs?
>>
>>61662095
Just because you mentioned you're a femanon, no.
>>
>>61662436
Not all Linux distributions use GNU. OP's pic, for example.
>>
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone would mind to lend me a hand about LXC.

I'm running it under Debian 8, and I managed to make some unprivileged containers (I'm learning, sorry if I said something obvious).

The thing is, I think is kind of bad that your $HOME path refers to the user in the host but if I clean it with
lxc-start -n Name --clear-env
a lot of things stops working because obviously it lacks a lot of $PATH.

What would be the way to act? I don't know what should be the standard behavior of an unprivileged container so I don't know how to check if I'm doing it right or not.

Thanks guys.
>>
So i installed smgl like 5 times already and fucked up everytime, be it the efi bootloader or some other shit. This time i made it to kernel compiling but apparently i fucked up by not including any modules

Should i just go back to ubuntu? I love tinkering but am seriously curious wether im too much of a normie for computers
>>
>>61672768
Just try until it succeeds. Building the kernel yourself will be difficult the first time, don't expect it to have all things configured right for the first time. You will probably have to compile the kernel around 5 times to get everything working the way you want it. lspci is your friend.
>>
Is it worth learning Vim? What's it good for? Pros and cons? I've been thinking if I should learn it
>>
>>61673852
If you are familiar with it, you can be very fast. Also, it is on almost every linux machine available by default. So if you want to do something on a server, you can almost always use vim (or vi).
>>
I just wasted 1gb of bandwith updating Manjaro linux for them to tell me they can't update due to """"""""""conflicting files"""""""""""""". I thought this was the just works Linux distro that you never have to open the terminal for.

Fucking dropped.

What's my next distro? Something that works well with XFCE.
>>
how can i make my ubuntu mate boot faster? its a 5400 RPM HDD laptop with a Celeron. Can i disable useless services like accessibility stuff?
>>
>>61671165
Little bump
>>
How is Ubuntu Mate these days? When I tried it years ago it seemed pretty half-assed, like he mostly focused on changing the names of applications for no real reason. I like the idea of gnome 2 though.
>>
>>61662049
Its GAAAAHNOOOOO PLUS LEEEENOCKS
>>
>>61674567
Configure the kernel yourself
>>
>>61674779
ummm
can i just disable some stuff easily?
>>
fastest browser for linux? using firefox that came with it for now. anything better?
>>
>>61675878
install speedyfox on firefox
chrome might be faster in youtube and other google websites due to google's black magic to promote it
>>
>>61675134
Yes, you can choose if you want to enable something, enable something as a module or disable something. Skip through "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" to know how to configure & build the kernel on your own. The Gentoo wiki on configuring the kernel can also help.
>>
Searching for a nice distro/unix like os for my Thinkpad X240, would be nice if its binary blob free like parabola ( never actually booted it cause I was sure wifi wont work ) and a distro thats stable, cause Im on arch currently but I wanted a more stable distro but not with to old packages like debian stable. Any recommendations? Oh and a nice package manager like pacman would be nice.
>>
>>61678000
Arch is a stable distro.
Stop with your meme fud
>>
>>
Isnt this thread so nice that its just Friendly Linux Thread,and not full of those gnutard assholes?
>>
>>61680090
I say let them have /fglt/ as a containment thread and let's stay on /flt/.
>>
Does anyone here have experience with Docker? What do you use it for? How did you garner experience with it? Who uses it most in your organization, or how do you use it? Examples of implementation/use cases in production environments?
>>
>>61680449
Docker is bloated insecure nonsense
>>
>>61680461
What do you mean by bloated? How is it insecure?
>>
>>61680550
Any joe blow can throw in packages he deems fit.So instead of having 5 packages which give you core support he puts in 30 because "lol i couldnt make it work so i just kept adding more till it worked lol".Its insecure cause again any joe blow can add in packages and configure them to be exploitable
>>
>>61680581
That's just when you use an existing container made by someone else.

Don't competent people make their own containers from scratch?
>>
>>61680628
The appeal of docker is havingt100000000000000000000000000000000 containers already made for every situation.

You're better off just using jails or chroot your self skipping docker completely then
>>
>>61675878
I just use Chromium.

I don't think any Chromium derived browsers are faster.
Firefox is also pretty fast but I think Chromium is still a little faster.
>>
>>61680581
Sounds like you would have to have tight control over your user base to avoid these kinds of issues. Hadn't thought of it this way.
>>61680646
I will look into jails and chroot. Thanks for the information.
>>61680628
Not him, but would love to know how you've used Docker.
>>
>>61680646
I thought the main appeal was not having to maintain a server.
Even virtualized, you still have to play sys admin sometimes.

And then there is scalability of course....
>>
>>61680671
>Not him, but would love to know how you've used Docker.

I only played with it 2 years ago.

It wasn't mature enough for production, so I decided to use traditional hosting in the meantime.
But I plan to move to Docker in 6 months time or so.

I want to set up a separate API and media server instance for each customer, so their data is completely isolated.
Maybe several instances for big customers.

I also have one big shared database with public read-only data available to all customers.
I will use however many instances I need.

Frontend server just needs to serve some static files, so I think I can use just one instance for everyone.

Then a container for admin stuff, mostly update scripts.
Might not even keep it live until I need it.
>>
Arch linux + Gnome - Steam wont open external links, general UI feels really laggy with Nvidia drivers

How do I make this proper? As title says I cant click any link in steam to open it in Firefox

I installed the package 'nvidia', but the general performance is quite awful.

Also in the program SoulseekQT, if I try to open file browser through it, it just opens it in firefox as a sort of FTP site?

Is there anyway to have a non-shit volume slider in gnome? (show percent, make noise when mouse wheel, etc)
>>
>>61680646
wrong.

>>61680700
correct.
>>
>>61680830
Thanks for the insight. Do you work as a sysadmin for a company, or provide services on your own? Just curious, I have no experience with it personally.
>>
>>61665531
weird dns complication? sounds like it might fit besides the time. sometimes Google has captcha load from weird subdomains or different domains, not sure it does now or even has done that this year, same for some comments that are loaded from external sources like discus
sites you've already accessed are cached by your computer
>>
>>61681069
Me and 2 more guys have our own software company.
>>
>>61680646
The other appeal of docker is that those jails almost never run systemd and can still be administered from "within".

>>61680959
>percent
>of a logarithmic phenomenon
Personally I want to box the ears of the mplayer developers for deprecating the volume plugin which used dB like god intended and forcing me to use a 0-1 scale for volume.
>>
>>61675878
Q U P Z I L L A
U
P
Z
I
L
L
A
>>
>>61666182
Global rule 13 no signatures enjoy the ban.
>>
>>61682951
>irony
This one does not get it
>>
>>61682951
t.botsted vrom my abble linux gombuter :DD
>>
>Proficient in both Microsoft Windows and GNU/Linux environments

I'm not applying for a tech-related job. Should I keep this on my resume?
>>
>>61683579
Yes
>>
>>61683579
>Proficient in both Microsoft Windows
No.

>and GNU/Linux environments
Yes.
>>
>>61683579
>the virgin resumé
>the Chad Curriculum Vitae
>>
>>61673852
Yes because there are many modern applications like browsers and such that mimic the vi interface.
>>
>>61664261
It is though.
>>
>>61662373
Nay. Just use SSH.
>>
>>61687440
4chan isn't for horses. Take your neighs and go away.
>>
How do I edit gtk themes? I want to go back to the default gtk2 look for my applications. An update made some applications look like gtk3. For example firefox. I'm using debian with awesome wm.
>>
File: Troubled.png (14KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
Troubled.png
14KB, 259x224px
I finished my sysadmin degree a month ago.
What should I start with to get some basic experience that would be useful in many workplaces?
Like setting up and maintaining a safe web server etc.. I live in the middle of Europe so my school was a shithole where we could do nothing, but I'd really like to know where should I start.
>>
 Failed to fetch https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/dists/stretch/InRelease 

Does anyone know whats going on here? I've added the repository like it says here https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian and I get that when I update.
>>
>>61668092
based linus
>>
>>61688842

By editing the theme files using a text editor.
Your window manager and distribution have nothing to do with this.
There is no "gtk2 look". GTK3 and 2 can be practically indistinguishable assuming a matching theme is present.

There are too many wrong things and assumptions with your post.
>>
Playing HTML videos in Firefox doesn't suspend DPMS settings. Does Firefox emit any other signals when videos are being played?

Would looking into Pulseaudio's streams be the best way to implement automatic screensaver/blanking prevention? How come there is no common way to do this?
>>
what are some nice ncurses games?
>>
>>61690490
Yeah, that's actually a good start. You can then build on that, and tinker with load balancers, forward and reverse proxy setups and an mta.
>>
How to run Android apps on Linux?
>>
>>61692797
touch the app icon
>>
>>61692548
It couldn't find the unreleased part of the repo. No biggie, if it found the main part. Did update download any repo info? It probably did so you should be able to apt-get install winehq-stable now.
>>
how does someone hide folders with Dolphin reliably?

I used a .hidden file with Nemo so I could hide shit like lost+found, but this shit ain't working here.
>>
>>61693062

Then you fucked something up. It should hide files and directories starting with a dot. You most likely enabled the "show hidden files" feature.
>>
>>61693087
Shit I knew at least one person would misinterpret it.

Yes, it hides dot files. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about hiding files that cannot be renamed that way. So you can keep a .hidden file on a folder with a list of files by name that you want to hide that you'd rather not rename in any case. Renaming lost+found to .lost+found is not exactly the best way to go around things.

That .hidden file works with some file managers, but not with Dolphin. So I'm trying to look for something else.
>>
>>61693138

According to this .hidden should work.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=246260
>>
File: mountedpartition.png (54KB, 1366x741px) Image search: [Google]
mountedpartition.png
54KB, 1366x741px
How the fuck do I get this partition to show up in the panel without using bookmarks (I'm using bookmarks as a temporary solution)?

I've tried mounting it to /media, /mnt, /run/mount, /run/media, and run/media/$USERNAME but it never shows up automatically.
>>
>>61693225

Try an udev rule. Explicitly set it to 0. That might prevent hiding.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/udisks#Hide_selected_partitions

If you don't mind it being mounted automatically, try adding it to your fstab if the udev rule doesn't work.
>>
>>61693190
Ah, I suffer from mental retardation at times. I left out a space there.
>>
>>61692797
bump
>>
>>61693310
Android is Linux, retard. Your apps already run on it.
>>
>>61693365
If I may interject.
Android is an operating system, based on Linux, the kernel. Android is not a kernel. Linux is a kernel.
>>61692797
Try Anbox https://anbox.io/
>>
File: 15016884441721921444555.jpg (2MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
15016884441721921444555.jpg
2MB, 4160x2336px
Tried to install arch but i get this error
Could it be because of my nvidia card ?
>>
>>61693481
>Tried to install arch but i get this error
That's normal.
>>
>>61693492

Did someone contributing to Arch fuck your mom? Because that's the only reason why somone would be so butthurt to reply with that same comment whenever someone mentions Arch.
>>
>>61693365
Nope.Google didnt want to play nice and contirbute code back to the kernel so linus cut him off.Android is a Linux-LIKE kernel
>>
>>61693481
>tried to install arch
So you booted teh liveusb and were greated with this? meaning you've never been in the chroot?
>pxe
Are you booting from the network?
>nouveau
What graphics card are you using?
>>
>>61693539
>So you booted teh liveusb and were greated with this? meaning you've never been in the chroot?
Yes
Gtx 1050 Ti
>>
>>61692663
I guess it must be firefox then.
>>
Hello guys, desperately in need of help. I have a laptop beside me running Ubuntu and I'm currently trying to install Manjaro. I burned the Manjaro iso onto a USB (F:), however my PC is now showing a USB (G:) is inserted aswell, which doesn't exist. It's also saying that to use (F:) I need to format it. Any help? Thanks.
>>
>>61662049
#NOMOREGNU
#FUCKTHEGNU

Fuck /fglt/, bring back the old /flt/ and the old /g/ when every cuck weren't suggesting thinkpads and installing gentoo.
>>
>>61693715
Update: I reburned the ISO after formatting the USB, it got 60% of the way through before telling me that access is denied.
>>
hey /gee/, I noticed some people post images that they think will help them get responses when they post their question. can some people dump some of those interesting and unique pictures for my future use? tia
>>
>>61693725
this, fuck free software, I just want to use linux without being forced to restrict myself

we /open source team/ now
>>
>>61694365

Linux is free software.
Does it hurt to be that stupid?
>>
>>61694365
>forced
Did anyone ever force you to uninstall something?
All what RMS does is telling you that it's a bad idea to use software which doesn't allow you to read the source code, change it or share it and software which spies on you, has backdoors or is malicious in other ways.

It may be uncomfortable to think about these things, but shitting on GNU, RMS, etc just because that is just silly. He's the reason we have freedom, free software and distros we're shitposting about allday.
>>
File: political_correctness.png (53KB, 715x499px) Image search: [Google]
political_correctness.png
53KB, 715x499px
>>61694365
This. Daily reminder that "free" software is political correctness.
>>
>>61694507
>Daily reminder that "free" software is political correctness
lmao, actually the term "open source" was created to be more politically correct, silencing thoughts about ethics, so corporations are comfortable with it
>>
>>61694545
That has nothing to do at all with my point.
>>
File: 1487324408601.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1487324408601.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.
>>
>>61694545
>muh gorporations are ebul
Commie pls go.
>>
>>61694590
Learn the history of the system you're using.
>>
>>61692855
>Unable to locate package winehq-stable
no dice, amigo.

On another note I'm getting a message saying FAULT at 100c18 on boot. I have no idea what this and searching yields no results, im not running into any issues but it's still worrying me.
>>
>>61694545
>silencing thoughts about ethics
My point is there's nothing ethical about forcing American corporations into giving up their property to Chinese corporations that never share any of their code with us. "Free" software is essentially an attack on national sovereignty.

Furthermore, all political correct rhetoric relies on a Marxist ethical premise. "Sexist" is based on the assumption that it is wrong to be manly; "transphobe" because it's supposedly immoral to believe people fall into two distinct sexes; "islamophobe" because they consider it unethical to criticize immigrants; etc. In addition, "free" software is based on the Marxist principle that property is theft. Hence if, as by your own admission, "free" software is based on an ethical assumption that it is "bad" not to share your code, and that ethical assumption is a Marxist one, then it is by definition a form of political correctness.

>>61694603
Learn the history of communism.
>>
>>61694747
>communism
than you /pol/, but this is pretty much off topic, please go away
>>
>>61694805
No offence but why do you think this thread exists? It's obviously a /pol/ack thread.
>yaay no ugly stallman jew!
>yaay no gnu gommunism!
>>
Debian or Ubuntu ?

I can't decide based on the availbable packages.
Some of them are on the debian list only, some on launchpad only.

Also, what are the differences between pulling the package from the "official" websites, from launchpad, installing a deb, and building from sources ?
>>
>>61694988
PPAs are insecure, official packages are better.
>>
>>61695031
I know, but some programs are only available from them.
>>
>>61694292
bump

this is proof that I need pics, so pls help
>>
>this whole thread
What the hell, kids.
>>
>>61695406
Go to your precious gnutard thread,you're kind isnt wanted here
>>
>>61695439
>implying everyone ITT uses a "GNU free Linux system"
Stop creating shitty threads.
>>
>>61695469
These threads have been here for years,way longer then you have
>>
Retard here, im trying to get openVPN running on a remote server and I am having trouble configuring it properly. Im able to connect to the VPN with my client, but I cannot access the internet from my client once I connect to the VPN. Anyone have any idea of what could be causing this problem? Also, the DNS settings are fine because if I attempt to ping a domain it automatically finds the IP, but the ping fails.
>>
>>61695504
Post logs
>>
>>61695482
Yep and we did a lot of work to make it better. We even got a website (which OP removed too).
>>
>>61695538
openVPN client connection log:
https://pastebin.com/VKM0nFfr

ping test Before and After connecting to VPN on client:
https://pastebin.com/wyDmqWYm
>>
>>61695538
OpenVPN server side client log:

OpenVPN CLIENT LIST
Updated,Wed Aug 2 10:58:49 2017
Common Name,Real Address,Bytes Received,Bytes Sent,Connected Since
client,70.28.76.145:63033,107348,4703,Wed Aug 2 10:56:18 2017
ROUTING TABLE
Virtual Address,Common Name,Real Address,Last Ref
10.8.0.6,client,70.28.76.145:63033,Wed Aug 2 10:56:18 2017
GLOBAL STATS
Max bcast/mcast queue length,0
END
>>
>>61695862
Its a corporate static IP, its not my home IP address.
>>
>>61695888
Emailing your boss right now about you wasting time at work not working :^)
>>
>>61695896
this but unironically
>>
>>61695949
>>61695896
I am working, on configuring openVPN. If you guys are so smart why don't you help me instead of being a pain in the ass.
>>
>>61695969
There is nothing in your logs that show it being misconfigured.
Its something else,and sense it's windows i cant help any further
>>
>>61695984
Maybe you can help, I have a feeling it has to do with the missing gateway, could this be causing the lack of internet access?

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3812:82d0:6ef0:314a%45
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.8.0.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.252
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>>
File: 1497031255661.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1497031255661.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
Is there a "correct" way of setting up public key auth with your SSH server with different clients (for argument's sake, I'm connecting different devices on my network to one server)?

I'm thinking the smart way to do it is to just connect all the devices without the public key auth option being enabled, then once every device has been connected and added the server to the known hosts, I can start to collect the public keys for the actual devices then just mass update them into the authorised keys file on the server...
>>
>>61662049
I've disabled fast boot, but I still cannot access my Windows drive. What should I do?
>>
The Digitalocean how-to even says to first copy the keys then to disable password auth so it seems that is the correct way, unless anyone else has a better solution.
>>
>>61696322
"Windows is hibernated"
You need to shutdown windows.
>>
>>61696205
You have you clients send you their public key,you then import it in to your keybase
>>
>>61696366
Seems very clunky, I thought there would be some sexy Unix way of doing this but I guess what I said here >>61696336 is how it's done typically.

Only concern I have is what would happen if I need to reset a device, do people tend to back up their keys to a storage or something, then just re-add them to the device?
>>
>>61696343
>"Windows is hibernated"
>You need to shutdown windows.

Did that, didn't work.
>>
>>61696461
how is it fucking clunky? This is LITERALLY how its been done for fucking DECADES.
If you want access to my server,and im giving you access,you send me your public key and i add it to the server,so you then can conenct.
How the fuck is this clunky?

>backup
They should,whats the point of keeping a secure system if you're resetting keys every day
>>
what happened to the g? are we doing this fucking thing again? thought it was settled.
fucking generals
>>
Any way to farm out compiling on arch to another machine?
Sitting at minute 192 compiling Palemoon on an intel atom and wanting to kill myself.
>>
>>61696512
I'm talking about a single person admining their own network and making a simple key exchange policy between them. It just seems clunky. Chilldafukout.
>>61696541
Again? You mean /fglt/ are going to try to subvert this general again after we retook from them? /flt/ was here first and they tried to subvert us like the Jews they are, just like their master stallkike trying to ride torvalds coattails.
>>
>>61696543
Duh, what do you think a vps is
>>
>>61696578
don't talk to me again
>>
>>61696578
The fuck is clunky you god damn retard?
ssh/ftp all your keys to your ssh server,add the keys,connect from all devices.
Whats the problem?
>>
File: 20170802_150029.jpg (4MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
20170802_150029.jpg
4MB, 2976x2976px
>>61696604
summer
>>
Is Wayland ready yet?
>>
>>61696608
Okay then put a trip on so I can know if it's you next time
>>61696620
It's how you need to 1. exchange keys, 2. turn off password auth , 3. switch it on again if you need to copy a key over quickly and then turn it off again.
It mages sense why it needs to be this way, I just wish there was something as fucking painless as WhatsApps e2e encryption.
>>
>>61696692
Maybe in 20 years time
>>
>>61696700
>e2e
WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK SSH IS RETARD?
>>
>>61696578
>jews, kike, jews
>>
>>61696717
Are you mentally ill? Where did I indicate I didn't know SSH was e2e? The fact that I'm comparing SSH key exchange to WhatsApp id exchange would indicate that I did know, you fucking dip
You need to calm your shit down before I knock your teeth out
>>
can I encrypt a file with gpg using a password?
>>
>>61696755
Yes
>>
>>61696755
I dunno can u?
>>
>>61696755
>using GNU software
>>
>>61696773
Stop the unfriendliness, not cool
>>
Those of you who have Void linux, how often do you have an issue where you need a package that would be easy to get if you had Arch again?

Considering Void but if it means constantly being without a package I may want..
>>
>>61696755
gpg --armour --cipher-algo AES256 --symmetric
I highly suggest reading the documentation so you know what you're doing.
>>61696778
Can't you faggots just fuck off?
>>
>>61696755
Use
--symmetric
>>
>>61696788
Tried void few months ago
If i wanted to build every damn package manually i would use gentoo
>>
>>61692778
Thanks anon!
Any idea which distro would be best to use? Or which is the most common one?
>>
>>61696788
Thats why I just went back to Arch. Im too lazy to wade through Voids dependency hell when the AUR is right there.
Maybe when Void matures a bit, but its kinda a hot mess right now.
>>
>>61696805
>Can't you faggots just fuck off?
You're in the wrong thread friendo.
the communist kike thread is here >>>/g//fglt
This is a Friendly LINUX thread
>>
>>61696805
>>>/g/fglt
>>
>>61696840
>>61696843
t. nufriends
>>
>>61696827
With arch you can compile a specific package yourself if you want?
>>
>>61696816
>>61696805
ty anons
>>61696778
whats wrong with gnu?
>>
>>61696866
Yes,if you need to recompile for feature or remove them you can grab thesource package and modify the PKGBUIL,this goes for the official repos+aur.That way you dont even have to make the pkgbuild
>>
>>61696877
Nothing. It's just that this thread is about the Linux kernel only.
>>
>>61696877
>whats wrong with gnu?
GNU is communist trash run by richard stallman,a known kike who can no longer create content only modify.Who wants free source code because he cant innovate anymore.Goes around yelling this "FREEDUMBS" as a religious commandment
>>
>>61696859
Been here since 2010
>>
File: IMG_0047.png (28KB, 429x459px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0047.png
28KB, 429x459px
Void, Slackware, Debian or CRUX. Which of these is the most based distro?
>>
>>61696910
Alpine.
>>
File: 1498671869104.jpg (208KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1498671869104.jpg
208KB, 1200x1200px
>>61696899
The expression “the Linux kernel” can easily be misunderstood as meaning “the kernel of Linux” and implying that Linux must be more than a kernel. You can avoid the possibility of this misunderstanding by saying or writing “the kernel, Linux” or “Linux, the kernel”.
>>
>>61696910
Linux Mint
>>
Is it seamless/easy to transfer a linux OS in a VM to outside of the VM?

Or even, run an OS normally installed on another drive, as a VM while running another host OS?
>>
Anyone who wants to try an interesting Linux, try GuixSD or NixOS.
Declarative functional distros are going to be the next big thing.
>>61696877
Nothing, we're just tired of the divisiveness and want to talk about Linux without being reminded to call it fucking Ganoo Linux every second and being asked to suck the cock of an ugly Jewish faggot. It's doing way more harm than good at this point, you have to acknowledge that and move on.
>>
>>61696946
>suck cock
>jewish
>faggot
>>
>>61696960
read >>61694867
>>
>>61696908
This anon knows. That retarded and ugly sticky image wasn't here in 2010, anyone around then can confirm this shit started around 2013. I don't know how these GNU bastards managed to infiltrate the crowning board of 4chan, but we're fighting back to end the Jewish tricks.
>>61696910
Debian
>>
>>61696946
>>61696998
>hating on gnu
>suggesting gnu distros
???
>>
>>61696984
shit, should have known something was going on. why are those people bothering us now?
>>
>>61694867
>Only /pol/ wants the Jews out
Logical fallacy
>>61696942
If you're using NixOS then yes. Otherwise no not really.
>>
>>61696910
Slackware because no systemd.
>>
>>61697013
You can use debian with busybox
>>
>>61696490
>>"Windows is hibernated"
>>You need to shutdown windows.
>Did that, didn't work.

Okay, it seems you need to disable fast boot from the command line as administrator and type:

powercfg.exe -h off

Just for everybody's information.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/384884/unable-to-mount-windows-partition-fast-boot-is-already-off-still-get-the-pro
>>
>>61697013
Those aren't gnu distros, kid. They're both using the Linux kernel.
>>
Seriously /pol/, fuck off back to your board.
>>
>>61697077
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>61697042
GuiXSD uses GNU Linux-libre.
I don't know of anx Debian version "without GNU" (pretty silly, a system without a system, right?).
>>
What do u think about antergos for beginners?
>>
>>61697120
Read the OP, Ubuntu is the beginner distro.
>>
>>61697102
GNU or not, they're called Linux distros.
>>
>>61697102
>system without a system
You dont understand what a userland is ,right?
>without gnu
you can use the busybox userland inplace of the gnu userland.You can use the bsd userland inplace of the gnu userland
Furthermore,you can use musl c instead of libc.
You can use clang instead of gcc

Gnu is on the way out
>>
>>61697152
Stop fighting them and start reporting them instead
>>
>>61697152
uname -o
>>
File: Screenshot_20170802-203428.png (94KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170802-203428.png
94KB, 1440x2560px
>>61697175
Gg no re
>>
>>61662095
This is a Linux thread, not a GNU/Linux thread. Fuck off with your distro shit.
>>
>>61697175
I couldn't give less of a shit. Still just Linux.
>>
>>61697201
don't talk to me phoneposter
should hang all those with phone user agents 2bqh, might as well not even be real anons
>>
>>61697221
Posting a mobile screenshot doesn't make you a phoneposter, posting from your phone does.
>>
>>61696778
>using a kernel compiled with gnu software
>>
>>61697221
You're mad because I'm on Linux but not using a shit Jewish userland.
>>
>>61697201
>dumb phoneposter
pls leave
>>
>>61697259
So you're running a bare kernel?
>>
>>61697257
>icc
>clang
>plan9
>>
>>61697299
>use ristretto because it can display gifs
>use gpicview because it's default
>use geeqie because it can zoom in without aliasing

how to merge these 3 into 1?
>>
>>61697022
But simple shit most people want is on NixOS? Steam, OSB, mpv, text editors, nvidia/amd drivers, etc?
>>
lol , the kike lover actually got me banned. We need to start reporting these GNU bastards note before they get their shitty "general" back in here.

>>61697398
Yes, most if not all you mentioned works on NixOS. I don't know what OSB is. I haven't tried Steam. Other people have got nvidia drivers working fine.
Just look into it. NixOS is right for your use case though it might not be what you're used to. If you're coming from windows, then it might actually be better as if you're coming from another distro then your mind may not get used to NixOS right away.
>>
>>61697542
Ive used linux before but only simple command line shit, submitting jobs, change directory, open vim, use gcc for simple shit for classes.

Otherwise windows. Never used linux as daily driver or with a desktop environment.

If I run NixOS, then another distro in a VM without using GPU passthrough, will gaming performance be hurt bigtime? I havent been gaming much recently, but I'm thinking ahead to that issue.

Currently have a 970 and a 4790k. Which is fine for 1080p 60Hz...

If GPU passthrough is necessary I guess I should run intel integrated graphics on my host os for daily shit.
>>
>>61697378
Submit feature requests
Do it your self
Or
>unix philosophy
>>
>>61697604
About gaming I really don't know. I just emulate or play on console these days.
>>
>>61697640
I mostly do console as well since I can buy and sell used disks, few games these days really make me want them day of release anyways.

Though I do play pc exclusives from time to time
>>
What encryption method is best in OpenSSH?
Ed25519? Or ecdsa?
>>
File: GNUslashLinux.png (2KB, 315x81px) Image search: [Google]
GNUslashLinux.png
2KB, 315x81px
>>61697175
You're right
>>
>>61697788
blowfish
>>
>>61697175
Even on non-GNU systems it says GNU/Linux
>>
>>61697788
serpent
>>
I can't generate a key with GnuPG. I get a missing key even though i am trying to generate one...
This the error part of the debug.
gpg: DBG: chan_4 <- ERR 16777397 Missing key <gcrypt>
gpg: agent_genkey failed: Missing key

I am trying to do this in CloverOS (Gentoo)
>>
>>61698140
Post the command you are using...
>>
>>61697378

Nomacs
>>
Can anyone help me configure my openVPN routing on CentOS? I am able to connect to the openVPN server from my client, but I cannot connect to the internet and I believe it is due to my routing. Here is my routing table:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default gateway 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1
10.8.0.0 10.8.0.2 255.255.255.0 UG 0 0 0 tun0
10.8.0.2 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 tun0
link-local 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 1003 0 0 eth1
209.182.200.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.252.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
>>
>>61698233
gpg2 --full-gen-key --debug-all
>>
File: route.png (11KB, 810x208px) Image search: [Google]
route.png
11KB, 810x208px
>>61698299
Well that didnt work. Heres a better picture of my routing table.
>>
>>61698362
>>61698299
Ignore this, im fucking retarded. Compression was only enabled one the client and it didnt work because of that.
>>
>>61698595
Just curious, why centos
>>
How many of you have actually contributed to Linux?
>>
File: 1460244156076.png (523KB, 1165x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1460244156076.png
523KB, 1165x1080px
>>
>>61662049
Alpine master race!!!
>>
So I have a fuckton of files that are named like this:

Robert [dy43].rar
Asshole [43yh].rar
The pope [3357].rar

In a single folder.

With the rename command, is it possible to remove the brackets and everything inside them so all these files turn into:

Robert.rar
Asshole.rar
The pope.rar

Or do I need anything else?
>>
>>61700218
Check grename,since you're new
>>
>>61700266
It is true that I'm new, however, do you think you could do it?
>>
>>61700218
ranger has a bulk rename functionality which loads every filename in vim and which will then change every filename to the changed filename. You can record a vim macro to do remove the [xxx] part.
>>
>wireless card doesnt work
>download wireless driver onto flash drive, move it to computer
>need to install program to compile driver
>can't install because wireless card doesn't work
I can't understand this
>>
>>61700637
>need to install program to compile driver
what?
Did you not install base-devel(or equiv on your distro)
>>
>>61700726
according to the driver's "Quick Start.txt" I need to use something called yum on the driver
>>
>>61700761
Yum is a package manager on RPM based distros,it is part of the core package when you installed the distro.
Follow the instructions and you should get an rpm file at the end of it which you can use yum to install
>>
>>61698140
>>61698304
halp pls. I think it's a problem with libgcrypt but i don't know how to fix this...
>>
>>61665531
Definitely DNS problem. Change your DNS server.
>>
File: pajeet.png (87KB, 722x642px) Image search: [Google]
pajeet.png
87KB, 722x642px
please help me understand what I need to do
>>
which part are you having trouble understanding?
>>
>>61701169
What drivers are you trying to use?
Have you looked in your distros repos or third party repos for the driver package thats already made?
>>
>>61701169
Looks pretty straightforward. Get the kernel source, point the makefile to it, make, modprobe. Not sure about the "need administrator" bit though.
>>
>>61701412
This is way over anon's head through.
>>
File: 1494930048670.png (1MB, 1500x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1494930048670.png
1MB, 1500x1800px
>>61662095
>1600X
>X
>femanon
>debian stable
ur dum
>>
Using schedtoold.
I have set cp,mv to "-I" (which limits them to 80% of the cpu at any given time),but i am still getting heavy I/O lockups.What else could be causing the lockups?
>>
>>61662436
Nice pasta
>>
>>61664237
> Enoch
>>
>>61702274
>limit cpu
>heavy I/O
If they are disk bound changing their CPU usage won't help. There is the program ionice but not sure how much thet'll help with a spinning disk.
>>
I need a distro that doesn't take up too much memory since all I plan on doing with it is coding and listening to music while working. For anything else, I'll just dual boot windows. Is Xubuntu good for that?
>>
>>61703034
no
Install Debian with the netinstall iso, and then only use a WM like i3, openbox, awesome, etc
>>
>>61703072
Sounds good, thanks for the help
>>
>>61703091
no problem anon.
I would recommend i3 over either of the other two I mentioned, just because it's the fastest to setup.

Tiling takes a bit of getting used to, but is really nice once you get the hang of it
>>
What's the easiest way to have smartd send mail on alert in Gentoo?
I set smartd.conf with:
/dev/sda -d ata -H -l errot -l selftest -f -s S/../.././06 -m [email protected] -M test

but it doesn't work and my log shows that:
mail: cannot send message: Proceess exited with a non-zero status_
>>
File: 1449917129318.gif (403KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
1449917129318.gif
403KB, 360x640px
this thread has been so much more friendlier since the split.
>>
>>61699103
I've contributed to it's market share
>>
>>61662095
>>femanon
there was no reason to point that out
>>
>>61703997
Those gnu folk are smarter tho. Less answers here more poo
>>
>>61693589
>>goyvidia
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.