[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to travel to another country where I'll be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5

File: Cloud Services.jpg (43KB, 600x339px) Image search: [Google]
Cloud Services.jpg
43KB, 600x339px
I'm going to travel to another country where I'll be moving around for a couple years, so the only computer I'll have will be a laptop with no external drives (they'd get checked a lot at borders so I'd rather carry as little as possible).

Now I need to upload a few hundred gigs (up to 1 TB) of files in encrypted containers so if I want to access something I can download it there instead of carrying it with me.

What's a free service (I'm really tight on money and can't afford payment plans) that I can use to upload said files and not have them being deleted or banned for inactivity or for having multiple accounts?

I don't want MEGA because I'll always be afraid it will go the way of Megaupload, and don't want OneDrive because I've already been banned there for inactivity.

Thank you in advance.
>>
>>61658657
Hook an SFTP server up to the router in your parent's/family member's basement if that is an option for you.
>>
>>61658657
OwnCloud
>>
>>61658687
>>61658692
Not an option for me.

Also I don't want to worry about it working and whatnot. I just need my files available online for those semi-rare moments where I'll need them, so no rented servers either.
>>
>>61658736
If you genuinely have no reliable spot to leave a box then you've either gotta pay up for a service in your OP pic or go make some trustworthy friends.
>>
>>61658814
There really isn't any reliable cloud service?
>>
>>61658855
*free clud service
>>
Stop being a faggot and just get a few hard drives. No one is going to give a fuck about a 2.5inch 1tb ssd or HDD In your pocket faggot.
>>
>>61659149
>What's the best way to do X?
>Stop being a faggot and do Y instead.

I appreciate your help but I don't want to carry drives and I've already thought a lot about this and all things considered I prefer putting things online.
>>
>>61658657
To be honest iCloud is pretty fast and trustworthy for me. It has a shitty web viewer but if you download the iCloud stuff for Windows or built in on Mac and pay then you'll have all your stuff anyways
>>
>>61659699
Cool, I'll look into it and how it would work with multiple accounts on Windows.
>>
>>61658736
Rent a $5/mo server from Scaleway.
>>
>>61658657
1 TB in the cloud seems a nightmare, plus you won't find it for free unless you use some highly unreliable chinese service. I suggest you carry HDDs with you that you have set up with veracrypt hidden volumes, with some sensitive-looking file in the decoy volume that you'll be ready to show to whoever asks
>>
>>61658855
>>61658874
Why would anything bother being reliable for free? You're asking for a unicorn here.
>>
>>61660035
Because it's supposedly as reliable as the paid version, since it's literally the same service but with less space.

>>61660019
>1 TB in the cloud seems a nightmare
I know, but I only have to upload stuff once, then I'll only download individual parts that I need.

>plus you won't find it for free unless you use some highly unreliable chinese service
My plan was to use multiple free accounts.

>I suggest you carry HDDs with you that you have set up with veracrypt hidden volumes, with some sensitive-looking file in the decoy volume that you'll be ready to show to whoever asks
I'm not willing to play that game with the law enforcement of a foreign country.
Also it's not the hiding files part that I want (I don't have illegal files). It's the potential hassle of having them check my drives and possibly confiscate them and things like that.
Some of the countries I'll visit have oppressive governments with very strict rules and I really don't want to risk anything.
>>
Buy two unlimited Google Drive accounts off eBay from different sellers for a couple of bucks. Have your data, encrypted, in both accounts. If one goes down get a new one.

That't it.
>>
>>61659897
And how much for that 1TB of storage?
>>
>>61660180
I wouldn't trust that honestly.

But what about having multiple free accounts?
I already have lots of them I've made over the years and they give me 15GB for each, so I won't need too many accounts (and won't need to create new ones).

Do you guys know if they are ban-happy?

I've seen many GDrive accounts completely full of stuff being shared online and they stay online and available for years, so if my files are just kept private I shouldn't have any problem, right?
>>
>>61658657
Just upgrade the hard drive on your laptop, OP
>>
>>61660127
>but with less space.
Well, there's your problem.
>>
>>61660270
That was my first idea but as I said, I'm really tight with money and I can't afford it.
>>
>>61660280
Wouldn't using multiple accounts solve that problem?
>>
>>61658657
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#f=3&sort=ppgb&m=38

Open up your laptop, replace your hard drive with whatever capacity you need.
>>
>>61660345
It's like 50 bucks for 1TB.
>>
>>61658657
Dropbox and Google Drive both have 1TB plans for $9.99/month.
>>
>>61660127
>Also it's not the hiding files part that I want (I don't have illegal files). It's the potential hassle of having them check my drives and possibly confiscate them and things like that.
>Some of the countries I'll visit have oppressive governments with very strict rules and I really don't want to risk anything.
You'll have the hassle anyway if you bring your laptop, right? The inconvenience of having to put your files in the cloud seems much worse than the possibility of some officer going through meaningless files. They'll only confiscate them if you refuse to decrypt them, but you would do it under their eyes saying that it is required for your work to use encryption or something, so i don't see risks.
>>
>>61660355
See >>61660345

>>61660368
I know but for me it's a lot.
In my position, and with the expenses I have to make, 50 bucks is more than I can afford.
>>
>>61660270
>>61660368
That doesn't backup the files offsite though.
>>
>>61660269
You'd need 67 accounts for 1TB and a way to know where each file/folder is. Seems absurd desu
>>
>>61660127
$10 for a month of 1TB use in gdrive/dropbox seems optimal and the least amount of hassle
after that month, AFAIK none of them delete the files once the month is done so you can still access them easy
>>
>>61660388
The people I know that went to those countries had problems with their hard drives specifically (the officiers suspected them of smuggling information or something like that). Just a laptop is normal as everyone has one.
At least it's what they apparently think, and I don't want any issue of any kind.

>>61660422
It's not 1 TB. I said "up to 1 TB". It's more like 400/500 with the possibility that I might add more.
I already have about 50 accounts, so that's not a problem.
The files will be encrypted (with the name made unrecognizable too), so I'll need a sheet to tell me which file is which anyway, so I'll just type in which account contains which files.

>>61660454
How do I know they won't delete them after a few months?
How do I know they won't change their policy?
In that case I'd be forced to choose between paying every month and losing my files.
>>
>>61660502
>How do I know they won't delete them after a few months?
You can always just send them a message and ask how long they do keep them.
>How do I know they won't change their policy?
Because abrupt changes in policy are bad for business and scare away paying customers.
>In that case I'd be forced to choose between paying every month and losing my files.
Currently no, after that month you can still access them you just can't upload more. Which is fine because you're just using it temporarily when travelling until you actually get the money to afford a proper personal solution.
>>
>>61660502
Honestly would say find a way to roll your own server in a buddy's basement. It's not even a lot of work to keep up, you drop Nextcloud (owncloud) on there and it's good to roll assuming you get the computer to restart on power failures.

I see 1tb gdrive codes being sold for like $10 at places. Not sure if legit but worth checking out
>>
>>61660396
Look there are no free cloud hosting sites worth shit, they have to make money one way or another. If you need 1 TB you either pay 5 bucks a month for several years or you buy a hard drive once and you are good to go. Save money, don't fall for the cloud jew. Also you'll have access to everything online and you don't need to deal with encryption.
>>
>>61660543
I told him to do this but he seems to have 0 friends or family.
>>
>>61660502
What kind of international traveler who routinely crosses borders can't afford $50? This whole story stinks.
>>
>>61660532
>Because abrupt changes in policy are bad for business and scare away paying customers.
OneDrive did that a couple of years ago, no?
Silicon Valley companies do things that upset their users all the time.

>Currently no, after that month you can still access them you just can't upload more. Which is fine because you're just using it temporarily when travelling until you actually get the money to afford a proper personal solution.
I mean, in case they do change their policy to not keep them for long, I'd be stuck with paying or lose my files.

>>61660543
I've already explained why I don't want to do those things.

>>61660606
I have no friends or family I can trust with mantaining stuff like that.
I'm sure if I did this it'll go offline and for one reason or another it won't ever go back online.
Also I'll only access the files once in a while, so it's not worth it to keep a computer on 24/7 for months/years just for that.

>>61660547
Isn't the only difference between a paid account and a free one the storage space (and perhaps the bandwidth, which I'll never reach anyway with my usage)?
If I use multiple accounts, beside the hassle of uploading the files to them, wouldn't it be the same in regards to the "shittyness" and reliability of the service?

>>61660651
I'm not travelling for fun.
I'm going to visit some family members to deal with some things, and I have to go to shitty countries to do that.
>>
>>61660269
thats why you have multiple, from different sellers. Also encrypt, or they could see your stuff.
>>
leave a server with your hdds at a friends place.
>>
>>61660651
it sounds like some china traveller delivering illegal content
>>
>>61660695
>thats why you have multiple, from different sellers.
Still dangerous, as they could just decide to ban this kind of account and it would be trivial for them to find them and ban many of them at once.

>>61660695
>Also encrypt, or they could see your stuff.
Yes, I said in the OP that I'd do this.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>61660688
just buy a bunch of microsd cards.
no way they can find that and they go up to 256gb of storage.
>>
>>61660746
Not going to say the country or the specific purpose of the trip (since it would reveal the country), but it's nothing illegal.

>>61660795
Can't afford it.
>>
>>61660806
*shoplifting*
Yeah, a lot of people in /g/ would complain but If i had to choose between privacy or morals i would choose the first. Anyway, who hasn't shoplifted at least once?
>>
stop baiting and buy cheap local or online storage already. nobody cares about your cp
>>
>>61660806
BTW OP, im very interested and I'm bored so I'll help you. The data that you are uploading (encrypted) is compressed or uncompressed? Cause if you compressed it you could save more than 50% of the storage and that would make the thing more easier. I'm thinking on creating a lot of different accounts on different websites to upload the files. Im creating an scheme (schememe) of how it works with ms paint. I'll post in a moment.
>>
>>61660776
Here's what happens:
Ebay seller sets up a google education account or business account, and pay for it. So far, all legit.
Seller sells account instead of you being their student/employee.

Google looks at which businesses use up a lot of data per user, costing them money, and investigates them. Ebay seller is found out, gets banned and everyone he invited with him. You file a claim with paypal to try to get your money back.

The chances of two of them going down at the same time is minimal. three, almost impossible. It's $3-5 a piece anyways, can't go wrong. You got the best advice you could get.

>>61660922
>Cause if you compressed it you could save more than 50% of the storage
Depends, most things today are already compressed, like images and videos.

Also, It'll be a massive pain in the ass without some software to log you in everywhere at the same time.
>>
File: 1478341300663.jpg (80KB, 1200x715px) Image search: [Google]
1478341300663.jpg
80KB, 1200x715px
>>61658657
transip.nl gives out 1TB owncloud space for free including webdav and user management.
downside is you need a NL IP to register for an invite and most popular VPN are blacklisted.
pic related. its the file management interface.

100MB test file
https://pomf.stackstorage.com/s/G7Ng9fta67RB3Dl

test video click on icon to play
https://pomf.stackstorage.com/s/GiCfMQ45zDecQpw
>>
>>61660866
Baiting?

I literally just asked which free cloud service is better for my needs, and had to spend almost 3 hours answering people telling me to do things I didn't ask for, and explaining (in some cases multiple times) why it's not the option for me.

I really appreciate the help, but I'm not asking what kind of storage solution is best for me. I've already considered them all and found the one with the least amount of compromises (multiple free accounts), and was asking about which company to choose between those who offer that solution.
I really don't want to have all these discussions about my situation or why I don't want this or that, but I'm trying to be polite and explaining it to everyone.

>>61660922
Thank you Anon.
The files will be compressed with 7Zip and if needed with VeraCrypt on a few of them (but I doubt it).
I'm already using a similar thing but in a way smaller scale.

I have a .txt file with a list of my accounts and a 5-character identifying code for each one
For example:
[email protected] = MH001

Then I have another file where I have the name of the archive, with the account code (so I know where it is), and the name of its content.
For example:
PoMCV345 =MH001= Pictures of Moot Crossdressing Volume 345

This way I just ned to CTRL+F the file and immediately know where to go for it.

>>61660951
>Also, It'll be a massive pain in the ass without some software to log you in everywhere at the same time.
I don't need that.
I'll just log in the right account when I need to get the file and log out afterwards.
>>
>OneDrive because I've already been banned there for inactivity
Sure m8.
>>
File: iamsosmartxddd.png (42KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
iamsosmartxddd.png
42KB, 1152x648px
>>61661081
There you have. I've taken the idea on how RAID works. So even if one service takes one account down you can still download it from another.
The only cons that i see is that is very tedious to upload 1 tb with this method. But you could easily script it to make it easier.
>>
>>61660951
>Here's what happens:
>Ebay seller sets up a google education account or business account, and pay for it. So far, all legit.
>Seller sells account instead of you being their student/employee.
>Google looks at which businesses use up a lot of data per user, costing them money, and investigates them. Ebay seller is found out, gets banned and everyone he invited with him. You file a claim with paypal to try to get your money back.
>The chances of two of them going down at the same time is minimal. three, almost impossible. It's $3-5 a piece anyways, can't go wrong. You got the best advice you could get.
How do you know it works like that?
How do you know it will continue to work like that in a year?

Honestly I'd rather use the accounts that I already have because buying such accounts will definitely take away all my peace of mind.

>>61661055
Is it reliable?
Meaning, it will still be online in a year or two (like Google Drive or Dropbox would be for example)?
Or is it like those chinese ones that offered all that space then closed after a while?
>>
>>61661135
This is to guarantee reliability and for loss prevention, right?
I'll definitely take it into account and do what I can (uploading my stuff once takes already so much time and is already enough of a pain in the ass, so I'm not sure I'll do it 5 times).
Thank you very much.
>>
>>61661081
you're asking for something that won't happen. that's why everyone's giving you these answers
>>
>>61661213
>you're asking for something that won't happen
Why not?

Is it impossible to find a cloud service that won't ban me for using multiple free accounts or for inactivity?
That's literally all I'm asking for.
>>
What kind of data do you have?
Try reducing the amount of data.
For example don't back up video games, don't back up movies and make a list of movies instead etc. etc.
>>
>>61661233
it's impossible to find a reliable one unless you happen to own it, and idk how insane you are but i'd rather pay a small bit of money than have to log in to 50-100 accounts to get my files back
>>
File: IMG_20170731_192716.jpg (2MB, 3968x2976px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170731_192716.jpg
2MB, 3968x2976px
>>61661200
Also, im thinking on more hardware methods. Example: Solder fake usb stick inside the hard drive where your files are and unsolder the real hard drive. When you get to your destination go to a cheap electronic store and tell him just to solder it back (cheap).

>inb4 that handwriting
i was writing with my left hand
>>
>>61661314
Literal autism
>>
>>61661200
Also OP. Are you going to get checked when you are already inside that country? How many bandwith are you going to have in that country?

Just asking to get more ideas.
>>
>>61661233
You had already decided when you made this thread. Everyone had good idead for you, but go ahead and enjoy your 35 google accounts.
>>
>>61661344
I am trying to help desu. I was in this situation once and i just hide the storage very well.
>>
Is a laptop your only computing device? Just wondering why you don't ssh home.
>>
>>61661363
Oh, I thought you were OP.
How does one find himself in this situation?
Why aren't you carrying HDDs with you?
You aren't a pedo, are you?
Back up pictures and documents.
Everything else literally doesn't matter.
>>
>>61661287
Various kinds, but mainly work projects.
The stuff I plan to upload is already the reduced amount.

>>61661287
>it's impossible to find a reliable one unless you happen to own it
One that I own will be far less reliable for other reasons than being bannedon't have the issue of being banned but will have many more that will ultimately make it far more unreliable.

>>61661287
>i'd rather pay a small bit of money than have to log in to 50-100 accounts to get my files back
I'm not going to download them all at once.
I'll juust download them one at a time, once in a while, and after all this is finished and I go back home I'll just leave them there and work with my offline copies.

>>61661314
I'm not going to carry hard drives. Just a laptop.

>>61661351
>Are you going to get checked when you are already inside that country?
Most likely yes.

>How many bandwith are you going to have in that country?
Not that important, as I won't be redownloading the entire archive at once.

>>61661361
All ideas that I had already excluded because of the reasons I explained here.
Almost all posts were like this:>>61659368 which are completely pointless.

>>61661387
I don't think I'll be able to have a server at home for that long, as I've already said multiple times.

>>61661406
It's all in the thread man.
Don't have time to explain as I'll have to go in a few minutes (will follow the thread on phone but I won't be able to respond properly).
>>
>>61661406
>How does one find himself in this situation?
You visit a country with a lot of restrictions.
>You aren't a pedo, are you?
No I'm not. If i was I wouldn't tell you either so there is no point on asking that.
>Why aren't you carrying HDDs with you?
In my country: Yes, everyday.
When i visit a restrictive country: No thanks i dont want to be stopped at the border for 72 hours. Just carried a bunch of microsd 250gb cards and hide them very well.
>Back up pictures and documents.
>Everything else literally doesn't matter.
Why would i want to carry pictures and documents? I want to carry my most sensitive data, pictures and documents can stay home.
>>
>>61661473
What countries do this?
>>
>>61661473
BTW IM NOT OP SO I DONT KNOW HIS SITUATION
>>
>>61661473
OP here. I appreciate your help.
>>
>>61661505
Very similar to what you've described.
>>
>>61661492
The only one that this happened to me was China. But i wasn't entering in by air so i think the restrictions were much hard because of the contraband.

(I was travelling from South Korea to China by ship.
>>
gah! I'm sure I remember there was some cloud service that gave you 50GB free if you used a code when registering.
"For life."
Cannot remember the name for the life of me.
I was going to try it out myself.

Other than that, free basic accounts are your only realistic way without spending money.
Just google up on "comparison of online storage" and check around to find the best ones for you.
Preferably one that allows you to use your own program to login and fetch files without the need of a web interface.
>>
>>61661628
I remember Box and Tresorit did that (I have one of each), but I'm sure others did similar promotions.

>Just google up on "comparison of online storage" and check around to find the best ones for you.
Do those also compare how easy it is to get banned?

I don't really care how practical they are. Only that they'll keep the files.
>>
>>61661757
No idea.
I'd assume if you use any significant amount of storage, be prepared to lose them.

Make redundant copies of all your files.
Compress them differently so they don't share hashes, or upload them to different file-hosts.
Then just list 2+ entries for that file in your file list.

Equally, pre-convert large files to more efficient file formats.
Always worth saving some space.
If quality isn't an absolute requirement, even consider mid-level lossy compression.
If you really want to go nuts, start encoding pictures in to webms.
>>
>>61662301
They're mostly work projects so I can't convert them to lossy formats like I'd do with audio, video, and images.

Regarding being prepared to lose files, I'll try to minimize the risk any way I can.
Also I'm considering making a few MEGA accounts for a copy of everything, since they're so easy to use and are 50GB each.
>>
>>61658657
use chiomikuj
>>
>>61658657
yandex attach in the mail
2GB/filexunlimited
>>
>>61662467
Oh yeah that could work.

Private Youtube videos could also help with some stuff possibly.
There was some crazy stuff in a thread recently of people talking about stegging stuff in to Youtube videos.
Well, half-stegging. Actually literally 2/3s.
Storing data in red and blue channels of a video over 3x3 pixels. (to ensure it doesn't get shit on by compression)
The green channel is some free open video mashed in to it.
That, in theory, would keep it below the noise threshold before it is auto-flagged for human checking.

Shame about the lossless requirement though.
>>
>>61662515
Is it trustworthy?
Is it likely to still have my files online in a couple of years?

>>61662534
How does it work?
I just make an email address and send myself the files in emails?
How trustworthy is it?
I know it's pretty big in Russia but do they act like assholes?
Is there a possibility of them deleting my stuff or banning me for "abusing their service" or something like that?

>>61662659
Yeah I rember that kek.
I'll keep it in the back of my mind in case I don't find anything better, thank you.
>>
>>61658657
http://blog.storj.io/post/163215547738/storj-and-filezilla-integration-bringing
>Storj is offering 25GB of free storage and bandwidth per month for new users who sign up with the platform.
>>
>>61663175
cool, thank you.
>>
>>61663117
>Is it likely to still have my files online in a couple of years?
I did that .They've been around since 2006

>>61663117
>>I just make an email address and send myself the files in emails?
Or keep the drafts.
Yandex is the google of Russia, if you have top secret files from the FBI don't use.
If you have pirated stuff it's ok unless you don't share.
>>
>>61663796
>I did that .They've been around since 2006
On Yandex or Chiomikuj?

>Yandex is the google of Russia, if you have top secret files from the FBI don't use.
>If you have pirated stuff it's ok unless you don't share.
I'll encrypt everything anyway, so I'm not worried about that. Just that they ban me or delete my stuff (for reasons unrelated to their content).
>>
>>61663932
>On Yandex 1997 or Chiomikuj 2006?
>>
>>61658657
>free 1TB storage

here you go:
https://www.transip.nl/stack/
>>
>>61664007
What?

>>61664041
Can I register without getting banned as a non-Dutch?
>>
I just recently bought a simple laptop for indie pixel games, browsing and streaming.

Here it is. Got it for $504 total with tax. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-silver/5823026.p?skuId=5823026

Did I do OK?
>>
>>61664308
I don't see why nationality would matter.
Doesn't say you have to be Dutch.
>>
>>61664352
This guy here >>61661055 said it.
>>
your fear of being banned leads me to believe you need to do at least 2 different methods but I don't think any solution is going to 100% satisfy you.
>>61661135
>>61664041
>>
>>61664334
Did I do OK!?
>>
>>61663796
>just keep the drafts
This is part of how Osama Bin Laden managed to hide for so long. The yanks were indeed monitoring his hotmail address. But it took them forever to notice the conversation held in the drafts.
But these are America's best, they failed to understand that the random bundles of digits were telephone numbers ciphered by adding 1 to each.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.