[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, If I want to be able to carry around my operating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: serveimage0VGPRJN8.jpg (26KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage0VGPRJN8.jpg
26KB, 1000x1000px
Hey /g/,

If I want to be able to carry around my operating system, data and applications all on a USB stick, what is the best way to go about doing this?

My ultimate goal is to be able to plug it into any computer and have my full system ready to go with all my settings and data.

What Linux distro is best for this?
Any useful apps to make this process easier/efficient?
Finally, what kind of USB is best?

Thanks
>>
Ubuntu with persistence was a buggy shitfest so go with Tails with persistence. Also, we have a general for such questions called /sqt/, next time, ask it there.
>>
>>61647625
just install your /home dir into that usb and install what ever distro you want on all your computers.

If its an arch then login with arch user if its ubuntu then you put ubuntu. The main data will be linked to the rest of the user.
>>
File: 067b6169.png (29KB, 530x170px) Image search: [Google]
067b6169.png
29KB, 530x170px
You might want to look into Puppy Linux. Its whole goal is to run from RAM, meaning you can store it on a flash drive just as you would a hard drive.

Running from RAM is important for this kind of thing because if you're constantly reading and writing to your USB stick, it will die very quickly.
>>
Kali linux has a usb encrypted persistence option
>>
>>61647625
2nd-ing puppy, I was using it while it was being maintained by the creator Barry. Now it's still solid but a cluster fuck.
I no longer use it though due to acquiring some i5 and 17 dell laptops and hp small form factor desktops.

You will want to partition the drive for storage, and other distros to boot into.
>>
>>61647625
Hey so weirdly this is the project I've been working on for awhile.

If your using a windows comp get a program called rufus for formatting your usb stick. Most popular linux distros have live booting support.

I've done it with ubuntu, fedora, and kali.
>>
>>61647625

also some bios/uefi have trouble booting from newer usb sticks so if you want it to be more general you might want to find and older one
>>
>>61647857
>Thinking a public library would allow a random person to wipe a workstation to install Linux on it
>>
>>61647625
https://youtu.be/4pS3QIPJbF8

Persistent storage Linux
>>
>>61647682
Really?

I did not know this. I am thinking to do the same and buy a 3 year old USB and use persistence.
>>
>>61650327

Thanks
>>
>>61649481
>Now it's still solid but a cluster fuck.

care to explain that contradiction?
>>
>>61647625
Puppy linux or Slax
>>
you're phone
>>
>>61647625
A better question is what kind of computers you would be plugging it into?
>>
I would not use any of the persistent options, and would instead boot from one flashdrive snd install on another.
>>
>>61656120

Windows machines
>>
>acquire generic livecd distro
>set up a home server
>ssh/vnc/rdp into it from the livecd
>>
>>61656727
That's a given, I meant hardware wise.
>>
>>61647625
usb drives are slow asfuck
use an external hdd instead
>>
>>61658359
You realize both are bottlenecked by the USB port speed.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.