[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Didn't start learning programming 10-15 years ago so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1fe.png (59KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
1fe.png
59KB, 658x662px
>Didn't start learning programming 10-15 years ago so I could have a cushy tech job now
>Too much of an idiot to learn it now
Did anybody on here start learning programming in their 20's or later? How long did it take until you started getting paid for doing it?
>>
>>61632971
I meant writing 5-10 years, that's how much of an idiot I am
>>
>>61632971
As an adult you will have an easier time learning it, but the drawback is that you probably don't have a lot of free time.
You'll need to figure out a way to take several hours out of your day to work on getting better.
>>
>>61633023
I do have lots of time, that's why I want to learn it, the problem is that I'm a slow learner and really impatient
>>
>>61633054
Do you know the general area of programming that you would like to get into?
>>
>tfw learned programming in 2000-2001 but it was Pascal and I never continued after that
>>
>>61633111
I want to be as flexible as possible but I'll probably just get started with backend webdev stuff, I'm not much of a designer
>>
File: g-side.png (260KB, 498x1480px) Image search: [Google]
g-side.png
260KB, 498x1480px
>>61632971
If you didn't learn to program as a kid, you will always be shit at it.

It would be like trying to teach your grandpa to get good at overwatch or some shit... it can't be done.
>>
If you enjoy thinking logically about abstract pattern, you can be good at programming.
If you've ever been genuinely interested in mathematics, you can be good at programming.
Personally, I don't know if I qualify for what you're asking. I took a semester of programming in high school, then didn't think about programming again for almost 10 years, then got interested in it when I was about 26. Got my first programming job about 5 years after that, but really, looking back at the progression of my skills, I could have gotten one sooner, I just didn't have much confidence and had a lot of other stuff going on.
>>
>>61633240
I would recommend checking out node.js then.
Looks for a site to start learning some basic stuff about it. https://www.tutorialspoint.com/nodejs/ might be useful, but there are plenty of resources out on the internet. Make sure you follow and try out all the example though (especially because this would be your first language).
It might be worth setting up a Linux VM to do development on if you aren't already running it. Doing programming stuff on Windows, at least for me, always make me run into some roadblock and causes me headaches.
I recommend learning by making small programs. With every new project try to think of something it could do which is just outside your skill / knowledge range. So with each program you make you learn something new. Since you will be very bad at programming at first it's good that you don't stick with one project for too long, you will just slow down the time it takes to learn everything you need.
Once you have got a basic understanding of the language take a look at some of the libraries that it offers. Libraries often have examples that show how it uses. Maybe an example for a project to use a library would be a program which would tell you the temperature and weather outside.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.