[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Moore's law is dead then does that mean we will never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 1500596572865.png (159KB, 239x251px) Image search: [Google]
1500596572865.png
159KB, 239x251px
If Moore's law is dead then does that mean we will never ever see 100000x performance gains again?
>>
Not with silicon
>>
>>61631918
Yes
>>
if you package 4 cpus together on one PCB does that count towards moore's law ?
>>
Just wait for (((them))) to release quantum computing to the public
>>
The real gains are in storage tech right now. In the time that most people are still being blown away by simple SATA SSDs, the top of the line stuff has gone through like 5 or 6 different speed upgrades.
>>
It means we finally have to pick up where they left off in the 70s and solve the Von Neumann bottleneck. Non-Vons in 5 years, tops.
>>
File: DELID THIS.jpg (130KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
DELID THIS.jpg
130KB, 600x800px
>>61631918
Sadly, decreasing the chip size became a giant monster.

Which means it's time to megazord!
>>
>>61631939
If you put multiple cores on a single die does that count towards moore's law ?
If you put multiple pipelines in a superscalar CPU does that count towards moore's law ?
>>
>>61631918
>people that are not 25 and own a computer will never experience the wonders of Moore's Law
>>
>>61632089
I think it will be more interesting when they start to assemble CPUs with several parts, like separate cache, separate FPU and Integer units, scheduler and so forth.
Something worthy of the power rangers theme.
>>
File: IMG_0553.jpg (100KB, 551x609px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0553.jpg
100KB, 551x609px
If they retire silicon and start to build upon unobtainium we will truly see technology.
>>
File: adventurer.jpg (118KB, 962x640px) Image search: [Google]
adventurer.jpg
118KB, 962x640px
>>61631918
yeah, I would rather have GOOD games again, thanks.
>>
>>61632308
for some reason, I thought I was on /v/ hmm
>>
>>61632321
The solution is the same.
Just get a retrothing.
Good games, no RGB shit, no windows 10 spyware hell, no intel ME spyware hell, true mustard race 3Dfx card, no shitty laggy LCD screens...
>>
>>61632200
what the hell, that would be a huge step backwards.
>>
>>61634542
Well, fuck you then.
>>
we will get performance gains, in the form of better designed programs.
cant rely on computers getting better to fix your garbage code anymore.
>>
>>61632200

Learn fpga stuff. They can do this, plus much more.
>>
>>61631918
Anyone else get the ending where the tree is literally you?
>>
>>61631918
When quantum/binary hybrids are made and affordable to the public, it'll probably start again.
>>
>CPUs transistors parts are the size of atoms
>We discover that Element X if used in Z way is a lot better semiconductor than silicon
>Smart CPUs?
>We manage to make base3 stable CPUs
>Quantum computers Don't require 0.01 Kelvin to work properly (or we figure out a cheap way to cool it)
>Quantom base3 CPUs become stable
>(Technology we haven't discovered yet and won't be able to because to that time we'd be probably dead because of our greed that made us evolve to what we are)
Ther are a lot of possibilities
>>
>>61631926
Not with anything. the atomic limit would have been reached.
>>
I hope gaymers will leave this board.
>>
>>61635987
last time i heard the awesome propierties of graphene being able to place atom structures on 2d and 3d and even more overlap the layers is literally the future
>>
>>61632124
>wonders
buy a 1000$ computer
3 years later
500$ is twice as powerful
>>
>>61632200
Pretty sure they basically already do this. Everything is just really close together so the signals can move more quickly between the components.
>>
>>61636065
So i have a 7970 and an i5 2500k, what is the 500 usd 2x power equivalent?
>>
>>61636329
during the mid-2000s
it would be the difference between a P4 32-bit single core processor and a C2Q 64bit quad core processor
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.