[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

T420 in 2017 - 2018

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: t420_ansicht_on_04.jpg (472KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
t420_ansicht_on_04.jpg
472KB, 1280x960px
Let's settle this once and for all.

In the year 2017 (2018 soon, don't forget that, tick tock), is the T420 a dinosaur laptop?
>>
>>61629626
Yes, get a T430
>>
I have an R61, though.
Should I buy a new laptop?
>>
>>61629626
I'm fine with my t420, thought I would prefer a better screen and battery life. Probably I'll just buy the retro when it is released.
>>
Really makes me ThinkPad
>>
It's incredibly bad for the price, that's for sure.

"Never change a running system"-design

Well... it never ran.
>>
this poses an interesting question for me

at some point, moore's law will reach its limit

will computers just be as cars are now at that point? ultimately polished and with only physical longevity to worry about (but not actual standards obsolescence because the standards will be finalized and remain the same for indefinite periods)

will software slow down the way hardware would? or is it necessary to invent new shit just to make money, even if it's worse (ME, vista, 8, office 2k7; can't explain kde 4 tho)
>>
>>61629626
>Still using 2008 Macbook
>Thinkfags think they're superior, despite being the ones to upgrade their systems well before needed, probably for some new aesthetic shit.

Interesting how shit actually turned out, Thinkfags were the consumerist morons all along.
>>
>>61629626
I was using a T23 as a daily driver until 2015.

I'm quite sure I could manage with a T420 until at least 2022 if I had to.

I might even try to use the T23 as a daily driver again, just to see if it's possible.
>>
>>61629626
not really, you can still squeeze some extra years out of it by adding a cheap used 2720qm processor, 16gb ram and a nice SSD.

the TN screen options however are fucking disgusting and pretty much the major downside of the entire laptop
>>
>>61629851
>at some point, moore's law will reach its limit
Already reached
>>
what is its modern day successor? t430?
>>
>>61630170
Not it's not goy, it's not hit until INTEL hits it.
It's Moore's law, so he can change it as he pelases.
>>
Yes
doesnt mean it doesnt still work fine
requirements for shitposting let you use just about anything newer than the late 90's, and even some late 90's machines can do it well

My Thinkpad G40 from 2003 is still perfectly capable of browsing /g/ with Firefox, some old games and productivity software like Microsoft Office and AutoCAD 2005
>>
>>61629626
No.
>>
What day to day tasks are impossible to do on Sandy Bridge in 2017?
>>
>>61629887
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

>>61629626
Still going strong for shitposting and multimedia. I'm sure streaming services will eventually be too heavy for a 2nd gen i5 but it won't happen in the near future.
>>
File: 1499401791083.jpg (63KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1499401791083.jpg
63KB, 1200x1200px
A quick reminder they're still making laptops with shitty chiclet keys, 1366x768 screens, 4gb of ram, and some shitty Intel Pentium/Celeron and selling them for much more than a T420

T420 with an SSD and new battery is probably still cheaper and better than one of those all around

The exact same stagnation is happening with smartphones at a much faster pace and somehow nobodys noticed yet and people upgrade every year
It's kinda sad
>>
>>61629626
>he doesnt have a W520
laughingwhores.jpg
>>
>>61629887
I actually went from a T420 to a X60, it just werks
>>
>>61631210
Funny. I went from an X60 to a T420.
Why'd you make the switch? Libreboot?
Captcha: Fort Corona
>>
I'm making and compiling software to replace a CRM a company wasted well over $300K on, using an i7 T420. It cost me $100 total including SSD and battery. I'm sure that if I had a new laptop it would compile and make a build in 4 seconds instead of 12, otherwise this doesn't matter because I don't need that kind of power since our web host is where it all happens.

If you don't do rendering or gaymes, not only is a T420 able to get the job done but so is a T61. 99% of the people in my company could easily get by with a C2D except the sales shits want to look all flashy.
>>
>>61629626
Well, I only use my T420 on holidays.
This way I don't have to worry about someone stealing my regular, far more expensive, laptop.

So it still has some use to me, but not much.
>>
>>61631241
Yeah, it was libreboot at first but then I noticed I can do basically everything on the X60, the few things I can't like compiling heavy stuff goes to my desktop
>>
T430 fag here, I don't think its the least bit outdated for typical day to day use. This is probably because it has a 35w cpu and not one of those ulv pieces of crap.
>>
>>61629626
if you want something small, get an x2** series ThinkPad
>>
>>61630525
Firefox dropped support for anything without SSE2 which basically means you can't use it on anything Pentium III or older.

I suppose there are other browser options, but I'm not sure if there are any good non-SSE2 options.
>>
>>61629887
Sierra stopped to accept the legacyUSB kernel module. Didn't bother to circumvent this so far. How did you do it?
>>
>>61629626
Yes
You would get bullied for using it in grade 9
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.