[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Life of a free person

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: braveheart.jpg (51KB, 620x346px) Image search: [Google]
braveheart.jpg
51KB, 620x346px
Is there anybody here who uses only free software?
If yes - what are the things that you do on your computer?
Do you work as a dev of some kind or you are just a normie who likes to be free from restricted software?
>>
>>61627904
non dev. I have two laptops. One is entirely free software (even libreboot). One is non free for only muh games and nothing else (I only play a couple). I work a normie job but am secretly into comp sci and hobby level linux. Started this whole charade after Snowden.
>>
>>61628080
>Started this whole charade after Snowden
This.
Snowden made a better PR campaign for free software than RMS
>>
>>61628111
RMS BTFO
He's also a literal proto-neckbeard. Snowden was a qt and a spy (ie: Dell contractor) who went rouge. Much better news story which is why we all heard about it (even if many normies didn't listen). Wish I had learned of the FOSS thing earlier though desu
>>
>>61627904
Have an x60 laptop librebooted with parabola, I use it to occasionally browse stuff, write, and make music with. Currently in college to be a dev later but I'll probably end up striving to be a normie teacher in some small town one day. Will always be a FOSS cuck tho, once you learn a tiling wm everything else is still usable but it just feels strange. That and the peace of mind that comes from using something that was meant to be used rather than sold.
>>
>>61629229
how is it holding up? I kinda wanna get one to Libreboot it but how is (chinese cartoon) video watching experience on it? Probably just gonna browse, write and shitpost on that machine, some games like GTA, osu!, 2hu and anime. I'm afraid 3GB of RAM might be limiting me, how is your experience?
>>
>>61628111
>>61628197
but RMS needed to exist to enable it.
>>
>>61629314
Yo sorry for the delay and rambly response but any Windows games would HAVE to be through wine, libreboot does not support booting windows AFAIK. Doubt the performance would be too good either, the processor is old. The x60 in particular has a 4:3 resolution so you're going to have to put up with black bars or stretching. It's a good machine for very light usage and for light browsing. I don't use a DE so my graphics perform a bit worse than they should. I've had the machine lock up for a bit when I had like 10 programs up at once while trying to watch a video. Also no trackpad, only clitmouse. Battery life is very meh but I think it's just really old, I need to get a new one.

All in all for my purposes it fit the bill, got mine for a good price and used it as my only computer for a semester. You're probably better off buying some other x200 ThinkPad if you want to really get down and use it though.
>>
>>61628080
This.
>>
>>61627904
I run almost all free software because the bios on my desktop is non-free. I really only use free software because I am paranoid. People think I am weird because I don't really use any social media and I don't own a cell phone but I am someone computer illterate. I could barely install parabola GNU/linux-libre.
>>
>>61627904
>normie
I don't think I am a normie, or am I? I like to have peace of mind and a system free from bloat is one way. Also I agree with the principles and the four freedoms, which are essential to keep all rolling. But yes, having a day job and social life makes you normie, then by all means.
>>
A better question – is anyone actually making a living developing free software?
>>
Sorry to slightly hijack thread but I always want to know - did anybody successfully (somewhat) ported his motherboard to coreboot/libreboot? I mean from scratch. Wanna try to mess with my old ms-7360 someday.
>>
>>61634864
RedHat made an entire empire
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.