[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D vs Rust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 5430905.png (15KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
5430905.png
15KB, 200x200px
What does /g/ think of them?
>>
>>61624966
Both are irrelevant and won't become popular but Rust is probably slightly less so.
>>
>>61624966
>D
Templates and UFCS are nice. Everything else is not.
>>
D seems like a total shitfest.
>>
>>61624966
D has existed for how long now? I think they've missed their chance to become relevant
>>
Genuine question: why do so many languages exist when literally everything can be done with C or C++?
>>
>>61625798
Because C makes everything tedious and error prone, while C++ is an unreadable mess.
>>
>>61625806
>C makes everything tedious
Have you tried Rust?
It's the very definition of tedium.
>>
>>61625798
Why do C and C++ exist when literally everything can be done with assembly?
>>
>>61625979
Portability
>>
>>61625798
Genuine question: why do so many languages exist when literally everything can be spoken with english?
>>
A "better" C++ nobody uses.
>>
i tried rust and didn't find it that hard to interact with from C and to use it in C libs.
i had to get used to their way of exporting and handling exceptions mostly (catching unwinds).
their was also a "crate" for that, but it seemed broken and unpredictable.
i would say they are nowhere near replacing C yet, and it doesn't seem to be their overall focus.
also none of that which would be necessary is upstreamed/in there by default. but hey maybe in a few more years.
overall i didn't find it that bad, but i mostly just do python and C.
using it from python proofed more painfull, althought there seems to be things happening.
who cares, i iam happy and effictive with the tools i have.
their shitty vim expecrience was the thing that mostly held me back, lol
>>
>>61625987

half of the work with C is working with OS specific handles anyway, this is bs
>>
>>61625798
Because these in fact are terrible languages and only survive through incumbency.
>>
>>61624966
Rust sacrifices everything for the lifetime analyzer. All the sugary structures and code conveniences are destroyed in real production code that's littered with reference semantics. It's practically write-only.

D will win long-term, even without a corporate sponsor. With the GC, it stands as a great alternative to Java, and a surprisingly good alternative to Python. With manual allocators, it's a far simpler C++ alternative. It's familiar, it works, and production code is actually readable.
>>
>>61629629

/thread/
>>
>>61629629
>D will win long-term

Not a chance.

I agree with the Rust bit though. What's even more concerning about Rust is the amount of extensions that are constantly being added to the language. Libraries like Rocket rely on dozens of language extensions that are only implemented in the nightly version of the compiler.

It seems that the Rust creators have never seen a feature they didn't like. It's easily way passed Scala level of complexity already.
>>
>>61625658
>UFCS are nice
it's not, they should have gone full Jai instead
>b-but muh sepples compatibility
i don't care
>>
>>61625987
The portability of C is the most misunderstood thing.
It doesn't mean C programs are portable. They aren't, without big efforts and much testing.
It only means C - the language - is portable to different kind of machines. It's a worthless kind of portability.

>>61628879
/thread
>>
>>61624966
I use both of these. Rust is counter productive (not as much as C++).
D is very comfy. I love D. Rust is not as nice but it does not have a GC.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.