[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it real? will we be able to get robuttcars?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: 001-volvo-drive-me-project-1.jpg (459KB, 1280x792px) Image search: [Google]
001-volvo-drive-me-project-1.jpg
459KB, 1280x792px
is it real? will we be able to get robuttcars?
>>
i heard that they can get along well in the roads but i think they're still in test phase.
>>
for stuff like carting people around airports and parking garages, yes. actually they're already being used in some places

for stuff like buying a car and never having to touch the steering wheel ever, that stuff is about 10 years down the road

we'll start seeing advancements in certain places first, like long-distance trucking for example.
>>
File: trash.gif (2MB, 580x433px) Image search: [Google]
trash.gif
2MB, 580x433px
>>61624010
>chink shit
>>
File: thinking-emoji-6103571.png (116KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-emoji-6103571.png
116KB, 500x465px
>self driving
>drive me
>>
File: bikeedgecasepredictions1.jpg (182KB, 1180x663px) Image search: [Google]
bikeedgecasepredictions1.jpg
182KB, 1180x663px
>>61624010
Computers are incapable of truly understanding what is happening in the world around them. All they can do is read data from sensors and apply it in a fixed, pre-programmed way.

Driving aids will get better and better with time but, in my opinion, truly autonomous vehicles will only ever be possible within 100% controlled environments (no non-approved cars allowed, no pedestrians (bridge/underpass only), precise pre-scanned 3D map of entire area). A warehouse comes to mind; maybe it would be possible in a retirement village too (but probably only in summer, and only in daylight).

A self-driving car that can handle any situation would require full, real, general AI. And that's a whole other can of worms.
>>
>>61624010

I think it will be easier for suicidal people to succeed in killing themselves thanks to self-driving cars.

If I was suicidal, I would just throw myself infront of a self-driving car and not have to worry about the person in the driver's seat feeling bad or getting thrown in jail, it would be the self-driving car that would take the blame
>>
File: considerthefollowing2.jpg (54KB, 640x482px) Image search: [Google]
considerthefollowing2.jpg
54KB, 640x482px
>>61624224
>Human beings are incapable of truly understanding what is happening in the world around them. All they can do is read data from sensors and apply it in a fixed, pre-programmed way.
>>
>>61624280
Are SDCs on a spectrum?
>>
>>61624294
My car has autism.
>>
If a self driving car is found liable in an accident, who pays? The operator, the manufacturer, the software developer?
>>
>>61624280
There isn't even a plan for driving in snow. Ford's approach is literally to create highly detailed fixed maps for the entire area.

A deaf person with one eye and 20/40 vision in it can legally and safely drive a car in all conditions. Self-driving cars have a ton of cameras, radar, lidar, who knows what else and they can't even figure out what to do with a thin layer of snow. This is not because of a lack of advancements in image processing or sensor accuracy. It is simply because the person understands what they are seeing, and the car doesn't.
>>
>>61624474
The manufacturer. I think Volvo said that they will pay for every accident their cars cause.
>>
>>61624010
Germoney won't get that, becuz gobbernment
>>
>>61624010
>chink cars
no thanks Han
>>
>>61624541
>A deaf person with one eye and 20/40 vision in it can legally and safely
That's a bold claim, anon. Not even most normal people can.
>>
File: angry-feminist1-400x236.jpg (23KB, 400x236px) Image search: [Google]
angry-feminist1-400x236.jpg
23KB, 400x236px
>>61624010
>drive me

R A E P C U L T U R E
>>
>>61624590
Yes, "safely" is relative- driving is always dangerous to some degree. But the matter has been investigated by driving authorities all across the world, and most of them agree that, for cars (not buses/goods vehicles):
>stereopsis is not required
>20/20 acuity is not required (the limit varies but is usually 20/40ish)
>hearing is not required
You might disagree with some or all of these, but so far it seems that humanity as a whole can drive with this level of sensory acuity without being significantly less safe than those with more.

My point is that we can drive despite these problems because we can understand, process, and make real decisions about the situation. A computer program cannot. I say this as a programmer with an in-depth understanding of how computers work.
>>
>>61624010
Only retards who can't drive for shit want self driving cars. I enjoy driving my car. Fuck off
>>
>>61624858
>>My point is that we can drive despite these problems because we can understand, process, and make real decisions about the situation. A computer program cannot. I say this as a programmer with an in-depth understanding of how computers work.
All this is meaningless if it doesn't deal with the central problem:
If computers can drive better than people then they will be used.
I'm not sure what your argument is based on since the reality you're denying is that computers can already drive better than people. They can't adapt very well, but it's not lack of adaption which kills TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE A YEAR, but humans being dumbasses.
>>
>>61626627
>driveless cars are 10,000 times safer than human driven ones
>people want to reserve the right to drive their murder tanks into people
Fuck off murderer
>>
>>61624541
>>61624858
autonomous driving and traction control are two different systems retard

we already have traction control systems that can detect different road surfaces and conditions

the autonomous part just decides if it can navigate it or not. Ice? No, turn around and go home. Flooding? No, turn around and go home. Rain? Sand? Dirt? Probably fine to keep going.
>>
>>61626627
I also enjoy driving but other drivers rob the experience. Nobody on the road can ever be trusted to know how to drive.
>>
>>61626704
>want to reserve the right to drive their murder tanks into people
Yes, I do. Absolutely. It is my right to do so.
>>
We need xdrivers too.
>>
>>61626726
I think it's your "job" to watch out for those retards and avoid them.
>>
>>61626726
Including yourself, faggot. I love these guys who think they can drive. No, you can't, otherwise you'd be in Formula One
>>
>>61626795
I found the person who failed the driving exam. Supid moron..
>>
>>61626825
I passed it on my first try, faggot nigger retard. Now fuck off the road with that 20 yo Suzuki of yours
>>
>>61626795
I never said I was a prefect driver but I'm sure as shit never going to go speeding into an intersection on a red light because I forgot that driving while drunk is a bad idea, or try to change lanes without checking my blind spot because I didn't go to driver's ed since getting a license is so piss easy that any competent person could have passed the test when they were 12.
>>
>>61626761
Well, yeah, but having to do that detracts from the enjoyment.

>>61626795
Does that mean you're a Formula 1 driver, or that you can't drive?
>>
>>61627114
>Well, yeah, but having to do that detracts from the enjoyment.
Well, you can't really do that, because some people are fucking brain dead and you have to look after them, such as this retard >>61626882 who failed the driving test three times in a row.
>>
Sorry for the late response but
>>61626721
No, I mean that in snowy conditions it literally can't see the road because it just looks for markings and is unable to recognise that there is a road there and it's just whited out.
>>
>>61626735
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXqY4wfjEBI
>>
On the freeway a top trim shitbox can pretty much drive itself.
>>
>>61624010
>volvo
literally cuckcars.
Wouldnt even drive if it can fly.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.