[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How should I install Gentoo? What DE do I use? What packages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: d31.jpg (75KB, 640x601px) Image search: [Google]
d31.jpg
75KB, 640x601px
How should I install Gentoo?

What DE do I use?

What packages should I install?

Why is Gentoo still stuck on GCC 5.4?
>>
File: 1436614691089.jpg (30KB, 400x395px) Image search: [Google]
1436614691089.jpg
30KB, 400x395px
>>61622938
If you don't already know each and every package you need, stay away from distros like Gentoo or Arch. They are for advanced users, and your experience will suffer if you don't know what a complete functional system comprises of. That being said, you can upgrade GCC yourself if you are so inclined.
>>
>>61622938
>How should I install Gentoo?
>What DE do I use?
>What packages should I install?
>Why is Gentoo still stuck on GCC 5.4?
Xfce
Try sabayon if you lazy
>>
>>61623009
mah stability, you can install 7.1 if you like, it's in there
>>
>>61622938
if you don't even know which packages you want, you'll have a lot of fun deciding which use flags you want
gentoo is for people who know /exactly/ what they want, down to individual features of each program
>>
>>61622938
Install Solus
>>
>>61622938
If you follow Gentoo unstable (by adding ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" to your make.conf), you get GCC 6.3. Gentoo has a stable branch and an unstable branch, where the stable branch is default and you get slightly held back package versions. The unstable branch is just the latest releases from upstream, kind of like Arch or Debian Sid.

I only ever use unstable and I find this works perfectly well. If you follow the stable branch, you can selectively unmask unstable package versions to use newer software. Some packages aren't stable keyworded at all so you may need to do this to install what you want. However, keep in mind that mixing unstable and stable packages is not as well supported and you may soon find you get tricky package conflicts doing this. Using unstable packages globally, this tends to be less of a problem, and I find that most of the time I prefer the latest versions of packages (latest Firefox and latest Linux kernel for example), while if I want to stay on a specific branch of something (postgresql:9.6 or php:7.0), it's quite easy to choose to only install that branch and mask newer branches.

GCC 7.1 is packaged in Gentoo but globally masked, so it won't be installed even on the unstable branch. They should unmask it soon, because there aren't really any new build problems with gcc 7, but Gentoo likes to make sure there aren't any problems with it before upgrading such a critical component. You can however manually add gcc 7 to your package.unmask and use it today and everything should work fine.

I would recommend you don't use the Gentoo minimal liveCD, but instead use a different Linux CD / USB image. Get something with UEFI if you have a UEFI PC, such as the Arch ISO, or the Ubuntu liveCD. Nothing wrong with using the graphical environment of Ubuntu with web browsers available and also GParted for partitioning if you prefer it over fdisk + mkfs.
>>
>>61624749
systemrescuecd is a good choice for a gentoo install environment, plenty of choices at boot, and is gentoo based
>>
>>61623009
Arch is pretty simple
Just follow the beginners guide in the wiki and you will learn enough to get a system up and running
>>
>>61624866
Yeah I'd agree. It's pretty good and comes with a graphical web browser + GParted. However keep in mind that it may require a bit of manual messing around to boot from USB instead of a CD, and also to boot with UEFI instead of BIOS, if you want to do a UEFI install.

I generally use the Arch ISO since it only requires you to write the image directly to a USB drive (with dd or Win32DiskImager if you're on Windows), and this will work out of the box for both BIOS and UEFI. I believe this is also the case for the Ubuntu ISO.
>>
File: yuyuko_burger.jpg (462KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
yuyuko_burger.jpg
462KB, 500x700px
>>61622938
Stage1
>What DE do I use?
None, just an X server and a WM
Or you could just use the tty and tmux
If you need a DE use CDE
libreoffice, firefox, all the other huge ones. Dont get their "-bin" packages though
You can unmask other versions if you want
>>
File: mako.jpg (76KB, 638x960px) Image search: [Google]
mako.jpg
76KB, 638x960px
>>61622938
>What DE do I use?
There are only two good DEs - XFCE and Cinnamon. XFCE is sort of the Windows XP of DEs while Cinnamon is like the Windows 7. Anyone who tells you to use anything else is either a neckbeard autist or just memeing.
>>
>>61624749
>I would recommend you don't use the Gentoo minimal liveCD
Lol, I installed it using that.
>>
anyone have any idea why i get
ERROR: libx264 not found

during ffmpeg's configure phase?
x264 is installed, x264.h is in /usr/include/

i want to try out an x32ABI system, but not being able to install ffmpeg with x264 support is a pretty big block for me
>>
>>61624915
>follow beginner guide
>gets arch/gentoo up and running
>"Now what?"
>return to windows after a few days of fumbling around
the typical linux newbie experience
>>
File: IMG_20170209_135550.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170209_135550.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
Gentoo is a fun first distro, but get ready to read a lot of guides, forums, don't be embarrassed to ask on #gentoo. You will most likely want to give up after your first install, because most likely, nothing will work, but if you keep trying, and after some time you finally stop fucking up everything, you will get a distro, which you will never let go. Also, install it from for example an antergos live cd.
>>
>>61625404
>You will most likely want to give up after your first install, because most likely, nothing will work
This was not my experience. The only things I had trouble with were getting luks to work and installing KDE (it requires non-global use changes, which I didn't understand when I started).

I also had an issue with gcc-ada and firefox getting hit with compiler bugs and wouldn't build, but upgrading to unstable fixed it.

Overall, I don't know if I'm going to move my desktop over to Gentoo, but it wasn't that bad.
>>
>>61625341
openh264.org
>>
>>61625507
that might do for decoding, but i encode things often with ffmpeg as well
>>
>>61625491
I had, for example no idea at the time, how to set up a wm. I also had problems setting up dual booting, mounting the NTFS partitions, etc. Also, the proprietary Nvidia drivers fucked up xorg all the time. I probably still can't make them work, but I don't care, since I became a slight freetard after time.
>>
>>61625341
>>61625507
just tried to emerge libav, and it did the same thing
surely i must be missing something simple, i don't see how it'd be possible to miss this if it was a problem with the packages themselves, x264 with ffmpeg is just too common a combination
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>61625757
you might be missing a use flag for x264
>>
>>61625927
there isn't much to choose from, and the ffmpeg ebuild didn't ask for anything else
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/x264-0.0.20170701:0/152::gentoo  USE="10bit interlaced threads (-altivec) -opencl -pic -static-libs" ABI_X86="(x32) -32 -64" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse"
>>
>>61622938
imcompetent devs
>>
>>61625958
>>61625927
>>61625507
welp, tried openh264 just because i'm out of ideas
and... it failed to compile
>>
>>61626717
try using the unstable version of ffmpeg?
>>
>>61626732
at first i tried doing a stable system, then after hours trying to get ffmpeg installed i blew it away and started a new one, completely unstable (set "~amd64" first thing and rebuilt @world)
the system i'm in now is literally a fresh unstable system with nothing but the deps leading up to the installation of ffmpeg itself in it

i also tried ffmpeg stable, and -9999, i've tried everything i can think of, even running ./configure with various things manually to try to pinpoint the issue
>>
>>61626786
>>61626732
i also tried reading ffmpeg's configure script, but it's difficult to tell exactly what it's looking for when detecting x264, it's pretty complex
>>
File: p3uc2.jpg (229KB, 1600x1150px) Image search: [Google]
p3uc2.jpg
229KB, 1600x1150px
>>61622938
>2017
>still using gcc
>>
>>61626812
>i also tried reading ffmpeg's configure script
I would assume that's autogenerated by autoconf, so it's probably totally unreadable.
>>
>>61627450
doesn't seem to be, it's tidy enough to have be hand written, and it's got copyright information at the top
anyway, it's not an issue with the configure script, as i ripped out what looked like the part that actually checks if x264 is found, and while it got past configuring, it failed to compile, citing missing functions that were clearly meant to be in the x264 header

i'm certain it's something stupid i'm missing, this is usually the case when i spend too long on something and have found no similar cases elsewhere
>>
>>61627510
>>61627450
by hard to read it's more just that it's 7000 lines and full of little functions
after all, ffmpeg supports a ton of external things
>>
>>61627450
>>61627510
since i haven't posted this, yes, the x264 header is present, right alongside x265's, which is also enabled for ffmpeg, which it doesn't complain about (i even compiled ffmpeg without x264, just to see if anything else came up, and it worked just fine)
# ls /usr/include/x26*
/usr/include/x264_config.h /usr/include/x265_config.h
/usr/include/x264.h /usr/include/x265.h
>>
>>61625375
install xorg
install a wm

man, that was tough
>>
>>61625375
>follow beginner guide
>gets arch/gentoo up and running
>"Now what?"
>Look at the "General Recommendations" page that tells you what to do after you've finished installing.
>>
>>61625375
The most retarded thing is to install an OS for the sake of installing. What the fuck would you do after installing? Well for example start using it for whatever you need/want. If you don't need/want to do anything with an operating system, simply shut down the computer and do something else. Stop falling for memes. Would you buy a chainsaw if you don't need to cut any wood?
>>
>>61628840
>Would you buy a chainsaw if you don't need to cut any wood?

That depends, is it made by AMD?
>>
>>61627710
On Arch you have to install xorg-xinit to get startx. That took me like 20 minutes to figure out back when I started with Linux.
>>
>>61622938
This was a good meme
>>
>>61622938
By getting the tarball, setting up a chroot environment with your desired filesystem all set up, extracting the tarball in that chroot environment, chrooting, setting up configurations, including use flags and compile-time settings and your profile, syncing emerge, running a world update, installing the packages you need and enablilng them.

>What DE do I use?
Whatever DE you want.

Whatever packages you want.

Because when you tell your users they have to compile everything, you need to make very well sure that the compiler you provide will be able to compile everything. Updating the compiler isn't that simple, and it often involves breaking packages and introducing bugs in them which will require the maintainers to patch them for the new compiler.

Anything else?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.