[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ what's your game engine of choice. Feel free to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: Screenshot_20170728-210223.jpg (40KB, 620x357px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170728-210223.jpg
40KB, 620x357px
Hey /g/ what's your game engine of choice. Feel free to discuss the trials and tribulations you're dealing with with your current engine.
>>
I'll start:
Unity has a shit tier asset management system, and if you're making anything that uses more than 100mb of assets, you have to use it. Tons of wholes in there API, some stuff too high level, some to low.... All over the place
>>
>>61615796
gentoo
>>
>>61616100
Man I love /g/ I always get interesting and robust technology conversations
>>
>>61615796
libgdx and unity are good, but for my current project electron with react and pixi.js was the best choice as the game is very ui-heavy and doing ui in libgdx or unity is a nightmare compared to react, html and css
>>
>>61615870
Unity suck ass, horrible performance, no SLI support, no full screen
>>
>>61616176
I've heard good things about libgx but between work and personal stuff, I spend too much time in Unity3D. Yeah the UI is rough, but since the game I'm working on right now is super heavy on UI too I've gotten over the Learning curve. Care to share what you're working on?
>>
>>61616239
Any 'dev' that would say this has no idea what they are doing. Every engine has its place and use.

>no full screen
......... k
>>
>>61615796
RPG maker. I own all the DLC on steam.
>>
>>61616240
>Care to share what you're working on?
it's very autistic and I don't even have time to work on it now but I think I'll manage to finish it in before 2030 or so. it has:
>exploration of procedurally generated terrain (kinda like dwarf fortress adventure mode but with marginally better graphics. of course without all that df complexity)
>rpg-like "battles" (simple 2d screen)
>simulated competition world a la football manager series. that's where all the ui comes from. and most of it is presented as "apps" that your character can access as they explore, so all the web stuff is really godsent here. I'm totally baffled by how it took me like 10 days of making the ui for unity prototype of the game to realize that I can just like use fucking electron

as for libgdx, it's certainly more work than unity for most purposes, but you can get a very clean architecture going using artemis-odb entity-component system. and kotlin makes writing code very pleasant

I would probably pick Unity though if I were to make any other game now
>>
I haven't really made anything serious and my forays into gamedev have mainly been for the love of programming more than game design so I tend to avoid engines. All my game jam projects have just been in love2d which has been fine. there's some weirdness here and there and I feel like they're too quick to deprecate api between versions but it's just a pleasant framework.
>>
File: 1294727576302.png (8KB, 570x533px) Image search: [Google]
1294727576302.png
8KB, 570x533px
>>61615796
>Feel free to discuss the trials and tribulations you're dealing with with your current engine.
I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. I only grabbed a copy because it was free. Really, what the fuck even is all of this shit?

Making a weeb walking/talking generator might be cool, if I ever put in the effort to learn how to use it.
>>
I am using the unreal engine, and it is working very nicely. I am using blueprints since my programming isnt good enough for real life. I plan to make a 3 part series. One as a "sell to make money for second main game" then the main game, then an MMO based on the same world.

So far, i have an inventory menu.
>>
>>61616176
why pixi.js instead of phaser?

I worked with phaser in a project last month, really easy to use and highly recommended.

Also 3d or 2d?
>>
>>61615796
i wanna make an action platform game similar to castlevania or maybe even mega man, Python is good for that right?
>>
>>61615796
What game? I make engines, not games.
>>
What's a good engine for a dad with a 12 week old daughter and can only use his laptop for 2 hours or sometimes 3 hours at night when his family is sleeping?
>>
>>61618608
A revolver.
>>
>>61618608
Love2D. You need to keep it simply.
>>
>>61618669
Tell me about it anon.

>>61618688
I've used it in the past when I wasn't a father and I believe I ran into syntax issues because their documentation was passed on old versions so I had to go on the forum to ask what was wrong and later what the new syntax was. Is it still fragmented like that?
>>
>>61618608
something fun and easy like love2d
>>
>>61618608
Fucking PICO8
>>
>>61616528
>I can just like use fucking electron
>electron in Unity
how?
>>
>>61615796
what should I use if I want to develop on linux and I don't care about windows/osx/android/ios ?
>>
>>61618811
Godot
>>
>>61616675

There's a really small learning curve at the start to get used to the interface and the general logic, but once you get it, Unity is really easy to use.
>>
Unity is easy but good damn so many little things irritate me. the character controller is almost useless, rigidbody physics are buggy, the editor itself gives errors whenever it tried to update now and continues whenever I run. The object list in the editor is a mess and could use some organization tools, It's kind of dumb that I have to make clones of the same material just to make it fit a bigger object, and to top it off the inconsistency in some of the functions blows my mind.
>>
>>61619454
Using Unity is like learning any other API.

If you know C#, then it should take less than a week to know generally what's going on. The problem is that a lot of people have no experience with game dev, then blame the engine when things do go their way.

>>61619614
> the character controller is almost useless
This is what I'm talking about. Every engine offers basic built in tools such as a character controller(basic movement script) and other 'default' things. They aren't supposed to be used to make an actual game with. They exist solely for you to experiment and learn the engine with.

I mean, why the hell would you even want to use the character controller instead of your own custom movement?

Everyone that has even 1 year of experience rolls their own shit. You use Unity for all the low level components it offers, such as the editor/ECS,input,etc.

>the editor itself gives errors whenever it tried to update now
That's pretty vague. Maybe google what the errors are and they can be fixed?

>The object list in the editor
The hierarchy window? It's just a list of objects arranged alphabetically and can be re-organized easily.

>make clones of the same material just to make it fit a bigger object
Not sure exactly what you're talking about, but you definitely should not be trying to modify prefabs in-game.

I'm not saying Unity is perfect, but the issues you described are trivial/beginner shit. My only issue with Unity is that support for generics can get ugly, especially when dealing with serialization, but this is easily overcome with proper reading.
>>
GODOT or my own.
>>
>>61616239
>no full screen
Not sure what you mean by that, but in the launcher options you can switch between 2 types of fullscreen, maybe that's what you need?
>>
File: 4L_w9oKmMqV.jpg (99KB, 800x444px) Image search: [Google]
4L_w9oKmMqV.jpg
99KB, 800x444px
>>61616926
blueprint makes me want to kill myself
also floating point errors
>>
>>61618669
>>61618705
you just have to pull the trigger anon, that's it
>>
ncurses
>>
>>61617936
>why pixi.js instead of phaser?
phaser 3 is not production ready. phaser ce uses old version of pixi as far as I remember which has led to some problems. it was also a piece of shit to integrate into my build setup due to archaic project architecture. or something like that. I don't remember very well, but I remember it managed to piss me off so I just went with bare pixi and I don't regret it
>Also 3d or 2d?
2d

>>61618768
instead of unity
>>
File: 1501096115611.png (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1501096115611.png
11KB, 300x300px
>>61616926
>So far, i have an inventory menu.

keep the dream alive my man
>>
>>61616176
Graphics libraries are too confusing so I just used HTML to make an array of 1px by 1px cells and have JavaScript iterate over all of them manually. There is a bit of a performance drop, but it gives me more freedom over how it runs.
>>
File: source_model_import.png (485KB, 767x4023px) Image search: [Google]
source_model_import.png
485KB, 767x4023px
I've used UE3 and Source in the past, and I've seen a bit of Volition's in-house engine. Anyone getting into game dev with Unity and complaining that it sucks is spoiled.

Here's how you import a simple model into Source. Nothing fancy, just a mesh with some textures. Source has absolutely no official tools to automate this, and compiled models only work with a single version of the engine.
>>
>>61622468
I feel you, I have used Source too in the past, and the workflow (to the part that it exists) is absolutely horrid. The code lacks any kind of documentation and the stuff on the developer's wiki is all written by the community, so if you have any question that's not very generic, nobody will answer you, because nobody knows.
It baffles me how there are people who make something like G-Mod with this engine, and it baffles me how anybody but Valve has ever thought that making a 3rd party game (like Titanfall 2, Nuclear Dawn etc.) game in this engine is a good idea.
Being a programmer, I am just talking about the coding side of things here, but I have heard repeadedly that the tools for this engine are either a pain to work with or non-existent.
I haven't yet worked with the 2013 release of Source (and I probably won't in the near future, since there are more fun ways to waste time) but it might have gotten better. I certainly hope that Source 2 is less of a shitfest, because I actually like the engine's visuals. It might be one of the best looking engines that does not require top-tier hardware.
>>
i like löve2d
>>
>>61618705
Löve2D has one of the best wikis and documentations I have ever seen.
>>
Using Unity to make a Tetris cone. The clone is pretty well done, so now I am trying to drive it with a genetic algorithm or something so I can watch ot learn
>>
>>61619758
this
If I use a wordpress equivalent of game engines I might as well use a free one instead of a "free" one.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.