[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FreeBSD as Desktop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

File: Screenshot_20170728_001252.png (2MB, 2560x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170728_001252.png
2MB, 2560x1080px
Just wiped my openSUSE Tumbleweed installation with FreeBSD 11.1 - So far, no regrets. What do you use as your daily driver? GNU/Linux, BSD, Windows? And why are the reason you use the one you are using? I Switched to FreeBSD because i wanted to try something else than Linux. Thinks i like in FreeBSD is the good documentation, the whole design of the OS, it's much more structured than GNU/Linux, I have control of everything (knows what's going on) FreeBSD is not better than Linux nor is it inferior
>>
>>61596785
>So far, no regrets

yet
>>
>>61596796
What do you mean by thant? Can you explain further?
>>
All my experiences with bsd on desktop have been absolute shit. Other than than its pretty good for a server.
>>
>>61596838
I did think the same to start with. So far I have not experienced any issue. I have to say that I only used to system for about 6 hours so far. Mostly of it was the setup, not done yet. What did you experience problems with FreeBSD as desktop? I love it as a server OS as well, that's why I took the step to make it my desktop as well.
>>
>>61596785
How's KDE & FreeBSD? How the fuck are you using 10gigs of RAM?
>>
>all these FreeBSD threads lately

I'm okay with this. I'm running OpenBSD for about 2 weeks now, but I'm probably going to switch back to Debian soon. It's a great OS, but programs like libreoffice require so many damn dependencies that it makes the small install moot. Also, *BSD isn't as supported as Linux when it comes to software.
>>
>>61596785

The kid I beat up in high school for using Linux beat up other kids for using FreeBSD
>>
>>61596871
Mostly issues with graphics and desktop was really buggy. But could have been because of unsupported hardware. I guess if you have the perfect supported hardware it should work fine.
>>
File: 1467139060262.png (17KB, 374x208px) Image search: [Google]
1467139060262.png
17KB, 374x208px
>daily driver

Fucking summer fags

LEAVE!
>>
>tfw i didn't know that the DVD image came with Xorg
what the fuck
>>
>>61596974
Working very well with NVIDIA 970. >>61597006
Ouch, that judgement. You dont have the power to serve, come back next year, when you ages by one year, silly kid. Good luck to you, seems like you need i ;)
>>61596917
KDE & FreeBSD is a beast together, so far this is my best KDE experience i had. Very solid, smooth - so far ;) There is a reason why I have 32GB of RAM, itos not wasted RAm. This is my work machine as well
>>
>>61597634
>t the fuck
It did not. I had to install it. As well as the KDE desktop
>>
>>61597694
if you use the dvd image you can type bsdconfig and tell it to install xorg from the CD
>>
>>61597712
Ah, I did not know that, thanks!
>>
>>61596785
I use OpenBSD on my laptop and all of the pros you mention are true; both are pretty much better to use than Linux but you will probably have to switch back when you run into something that's not supported or falls outside of the parameters of the common use cases. Good luck and there's nothing wrong with learning new things. The BSD community rocks, too
>>
>>61597969
Thank you, so far it has been very interesting and the BSD people seems much smarter than the Linux people. This is just based on forums. Try go to the Arch or Gentoo forum and compare them to the BSD forums
>>
>>61596785
i use macOS cause it just werkz
>>
>>61598317
I use it on my Macbook Air as well. Very good OS for the laptop
>>
>>61596785
Stop using this shit. It has a wrong license.
>>
>>61598494
Why do you hate freedom?
>>
File: unimpressed.jpg (104KB, 851x478px) Image search: [Google]
unimpressed.jpg
104KB, 851x478px
>>61596785
>FresBIE
shit
>>
>>61598317
>>61598460
Reminder that Mac OS is an OS for faggots and rich people who don't know how to spend their money
>>
>>61596785

That looks prettu neat to be honest.

I though that KDE Plasma didn't work with *BSDs.
>>
>>61596785
Good on you anon.
Is that KDE 4 or 5? And are you using the login manager as well?
>ACPI cpu
are you sure freebsd has proper support for your cpu/chipset?
>>
mfw all these ubuntu babies are this scared of the command line
just use windows 10 at this rate faggots
>>
>>61596974
sadly that's a hit or miss
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

according to installation, it detects automatically most of the time

in my case, I only got my DE in 640x480 at first. I had to log in as root and manually write the conf file for xorg (worked great at native resolution once done)

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html
see where it says "Setting the Video Driver in a File"
>>
What do you use your rig for OP?
>>
>>61598973
a bit of a tangent, but it will be hard to install if you don't have the manual on another computer next to you. or to google things. I mean, who knows the commands off-hand the first time you boot (into the command-line btw). note some of the commands are also different from linux or openbsd (dpkg -i, pkg install, pkg_add for beginners)
>>
>>61596930
Posting an update. I did a netinstall of Debian and will be switching back to OpenBSD later. The simplicity of OpenBSD has spoiled me. The Debian netinstall already feels bloated, and I literally just installed it!
>>
Looks comfy desu
I might try it on my x220
>>
File: xxx.png (522KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
xxx.png
522KB, 1366x768px
>>61596785
>kde
tried that shit on opensuse. pure fucking BLOAT

welcome to freeBSD my friend
>>
File: 1500236358902.png (543KB, 878x814px) Image search: [Google]
1500236358902.png
543KB, 878x814px
>>61596974
>arch tards don't know how to load there graphics driver
lmao
>>
File: freebsd.png (400KB, 949x456px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.png
400KB, 949x456px
>>61601877
works great on the x220. i'm using FreeBSD 11.0 with MATE. only things that I haven't tried are bluetooth and the fingerprint reader.
you may need to dump some of these into /boot/loader.conf to get sleep to work and proper screen res at boot:

i915kms_load="YES"
kern.vty=vt
acpi_ibm_load="YES"
kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1366x768"
hw.psm.synaptics_support=1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3
drm.i915.enable_rc6=7
>>
File: beastie.png (69KB, 540x598px) Image search: [Google]
beastie.png
69KB, 540x598px
>>61601915
freebsd master race checking in
>>
>>61602016
does your screen stay black after opening it back up from a sleep state?
also do your xf86monbrightness keys work?
>>
>>61602037
no, sleep works fine for me. You may need the i915 or ACPI stuff in /boot/loader.conf that I pasted above. my brightness keys work fine when prefixed with Fn as usual.
>>
>>61602060
I'll give them a try.
The last thing I need to set up are those brightness fn keys
>>
I used OpenBSD. It was slow shit.
>>
>>61602082
maybe relevant: https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?acpi_ibm

this pages seems to imply you may also need to run devd. so maybe
devd_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf if it's still not working after loading the kernel module
>>
Does FreeBSD support 1060s on laptops? I got a new laptop running intel hardware and a mobile 1060. I've never had the chance to run intel on Linux nor bsd before
>>
>>61602135
NVIDIA does make drivers for FreeBSD (http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd-archive.html), but whether it will work or not is a crapshoot honestly.
>>
>>61598763
OS X is OS for people who working on real world problems and have no time and don't want to think about loonixfags shit.

Linux has no professional software only outdated or old as fuck programming "tool s"
>>
Congratulations, using BSD or GNU means you have common sense.

By using BSD, your only minor flaw is that you are supporting a license that enables non-free software such as Windows to use your OS's code without giving anything back, but this is a minor concern. It is unfortunate that people consider the GPL "less free" since freedom requires responsibility, and that freedom without responsibility is simply anarchy.
>>
>>61596785
I'm not using FreeBSD because it doesn't properly support Polaris, and ryzen 7 has problems with powerd
>>
>>61602211
The BSD license is important because it gets proprietary software manufacturers to adopt sane standards when they "steal" BSD code, making for a net improvement for everyone's computing. If a proprietary standard is adopted over an open standard, we all lose, so convincing large proprietary software manufacturers to "steal" BSD code so that some semblance of sanity reigns in their projects is actually very beneficial.
>>
>>61596917

ZFS has very aggressive caching if you have idle ram.
>>
>>61602237
But this means that non-free software exists and can compete with free software.

And this is bad. Let their garbage rot because they can't fucking figure out how to make a decent networking stack without copying BSD's code.
>>
>>61602286
The BSD license addresses the tech world as it is. The GPL addresses the tech world as it should be. I think the difference between the two licenses can be summed up as pragmatism vs idealism.
>>
>>61602334

You've got that wrong. It should be that code can be released and requested freely but in the pre-gpl World of MIT/BSD/pd code that got nowhere.

GPL addresses this reality by enforcing the flow of free code because those without morals only understand coercion; the social contract is dead.
>>
>>61602237
>adopt sane standards
And fork it to an incompatible standard that promote even more success for closed source.
>>
>>61602428
Sadly gpl is viral againt non oss licenses. MPL do it right as something have to be proprietary.
>>
>>61602016
I've been having issues with my sound card on a x201.
Does it cut the speaker off when you plug your headphones and vice versa?
>>
File: 1499193284614.jpg (76KB, 740x531px) Image search: [Google]
1499193284614.jpg
76KB, 740x531px
>>61602205
>doesn't realize MacOS is BSD under the surface
>high level 'facebook machine' and bean counting is 'real world problems'
>>
>>61602205
Yeah but some people are straight, and can't use HomOSeX
>>
>>61602899
>MacOS is BSD
Do you mean mach? Also bash, and whatever shitted together.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.