[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we solve the systemd question?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: 1501193552676.png (488KB, 1338x777px) Image search: [Google]
1501193552676.png
488KB, 1338x777px
How do we solve the systemd question?
>>
>>61596776
windows 10
>>
>>61596793
Back to your designated shitting street.
>>
File: conspiracy.jpg (625KB, 1107x2087px) Image search: [Google]
conspiracy.jpg
625KB, 1107x2087px
by removing globalist german scum
>>
File: level100Pajeet.webm (2MB, 240x426px) Image search: [Google]
level100Pajeet.webm
2MB, 240x426px
>>61596776
install gentoo

>>61596793
hello pajeet
>>
By supporting distros that don't use it
>>
>>61596776
S L A C K W A R E
L
A
C
K
>>
File: AArNm.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
AArNm.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
>>61597202
Before SystemD:
Lonely neckbeard

After SystemD:
Angry lonely neckbeard
>>
W
A
R
E
>>
File: 1498307087997.png (12KB, 256x211px) Image search: [Google]
1498307087997.png
12KB, 256x211px
Install Void and contribute packages to it.
>>
>>61597283
delete this
>>
>>61597249
this
https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=Not+systemd&status=Active#simple
>>
>>61596776
Testing duvean a bit here, so far so good
But I bet I will be back at arch again in a few days though. Good old debian, why did you do this to me, you made your father off him self. RIP Ian Murdoch Rip Debian
>>
>>61597249
This, motherfuckers is time to jump ships
>>
Hmm just reading up on mint here again, it's supposed to actually be systemd free.

I must admit it's a damn sweet distro I ran it for years here on my main. I assumed it to have jumped the SystemD trainwreck. Anyone running mint?
>>
>>61596776
Moving the Linux marketshare to BSD
>>
>>61597269
How does slackware compare to gentoo?
>>
>>61597310
>top two results are very popular derivatives of ubuntu and arch, respectively
>two distros that have moved to systemd
now where do you think this is heading?
>>
>>61597829
its not that hardcore
>>
>>61597909
Damnit I really wanted mint again, still going to verify both regular ubuntu based and deb based distro tomorrow. Nice livecd there anyways to see it for my self
>>
>>61597952
It's kinda hard to get info on it. What init system does it use, and what package manager?
>>
File: australia under siege.jpg (80KB, 1121x898px) Image search: [Google]
australia under siege.jpg
80KB, 1121x898px
>>61597829

Slackware is alot of work.... i cant even get the live distros to boot on my hardware fffs

i moved from mint to devuan + cinnamon and its pretty comfy... without the total bros that ported that i would still be poettering's bitch
>>
noes Mint allegedly do use fucking SystemDildos
so it's a botnet ugh
fuck I wish it didn't, I really miss that distro.
Most shit works there out the box and it also both look and feel damn sweet

CIA niggers got to them too
>>
>>61597829
see >>61593677 >>61593742 >>61593792
>>61597979
is bait? anyway
>What init system
sysv but quite possible to change without too many problems
>what package manager
whichever one you choose to install
>>
>>61598061

you can run older versions of mint... i think 16 was still system d free

but as i said devuan + cinnamon is practically the easiest nonbotnet mint experience
>>
>>61598105
post screenfetch
>>
Hold on a sec here, hmm they say the deb based one is not based on systemd

Just one way to figure this one out, I don't remember how fast they roll shit either. Compared to arch it's prolly lagging. WTF am I even talking for, let's roll it. I've almost had this distro a whole full day anyways here
>>
>>61598079
Alright thanks for the info. I'll try it on my laptop.
>>
>>61598105
I'm rolling devuan now actually, but with xfgce though. Had cinnamon before this. This is actually my first time without cinnamon in like a million years, it was from mint actually it stuck to me
>>
Manjaro with OpenRC
>>
>>61596776
Use systemd until you invent a solution that is not a pain in the ass to configure from an enduser perspective and produces the same, predictable behavior across several distros.
>>
>>61598137
cinnamon is great, it seems to me cinnamon has about the least militant userbase of all the DE's and probably spend time actually getting work done than sperging out on Vietnamese foot massage forums
>>
>>61597283
>he believes in all jewish media jokes about neckbeards
back to /leftypol/ and reddit you scum
>>
>>61598225
I'm excited to announce PID 1 all the way from UNIX System V, init!
>>
>>61598348
kek
yeah it's ok to use and so, but it isn't perfect though. I just like it a lot, and you also used to use it. Just adding stuff manually and so to menus etc can be a bit corny tbqh. You rarely do that, but anyways it could have been a bit cleaner
>>
>>61598380
Init scripts are not enduser friendly. Service files are!
>>
>>61598637
>TODO: script that compiles service files to Makefiles
>>
File: 1500243456163.jpg (334KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1500243456163.jpg
334KB, 1920x1080px
>>61596793
>>
>>61598225
>ignores decades of work
>what is process supervision
>what is daemontools
>what is daemontools-encore
>what is freedt
>what is runit
>what is s6
>what is nosh
Your 10 line files are beat by my 3 line files. Come back when you have less pain than writing three lines of text.
>>
>>61598637
>systemd advocate offers strawman with init scripts
we don't need init scripts. Stop trotting out van Smoorenburg's work, stop dodging the work of others.
>>
Using SysVInit on Linux in 2017 is like still sticking to Windows 7. It is old, robust tech that once was really good but doesn't fit today's demands anymore and has decreasing support by upstream.
>>
>>61599507
>It is old, robust tech that once was really good but doesn't fit today's demands

That's a lie, if it wouldn't fit today's demands then nobody would use them.
>>
>>61599507
>implies moments in time have interests, let alone demands
This is that religious faith in progress thing, isn't it?
>>
>>61599565
More and more distros switch to systemd so the userbase of SysVInit is shrinking. Soon the userbase of SysVinit will consist only of you /g/ cucks
>>
File: 1462225515545.jpg (16KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
1462225515545.jpg
16KB, 268x265px
I'm new to the loonix stuff. Why is systemd bad? Do old school boot scripts allow for more user control over the boot process? How come I'm forced to used it? Can't I used use the old stuff instead?
>>
>>61599842
>Why is systemd bad?
It's eating things unrelated to its core competency, which is starting and stopping services. There's no reason for systemd to take over DNS resolution, the system message bus, system event logging, and device and driver management.
>>61599842
>Do old school boot scripts allow for more user control over the boot process
Yes. They're not necessarily great for stopping and starting services, or for parametrizing multiple instances of a single service.
>How come I'm forced to used it
Some commentators believe the NSA's SIGINT Enabling Project is behind it.
>Can't I used use the old stuff instead?
Sure, some distributions still support traditional init. Packages that depend on systemd service etc. files probably won't work.
>>
>>61599842
It depends on the distribution you use. Some have Systemd, some have SysVinit but there is a transistion going on to systemd because its newer. If you are new to Linux you might find configuring Systemd and reading it's documentation easier.

Due to SysVinit/Systemd being core parts of the OS, you cannot just switch between those without issues. The only reason why you would want to use SysVInit is when you rely on a deterministic, strict order in which services are loaded at boot (at the expense of speed).

Systemd is not inherently bad and actually does have better integration with other parts of the OS which should make things "just work".

The init program gets Process ID 1 on Linux. If PID 1 were to crash, the Kernel would shutdown the computer. Because systemd is bigger, the main criticism about it is that it is easier to crash the whole computer but that is a misconception as the PID 1 part of systemd is a process that communicates with other parts of systemd. If those were to crash, they would simply get restarted.
>>
>>61599842
On top of what the other anons said, systemd developers often dismiss bug reports and just keep adding stuff without fixing anything
>>
>>61599680
holy shit nice bait
>>
>>61600191
part of me is afraid he may be correct.
>>
>(You) are me
>want fieldops pwntop
>buy $20 dell inspiron 1018 mini
>throw Arch on it
>hangs randomly on boot okwtf
>throw debian on it
>hangs randomly on boot lolwutt
>throw void on it
>just werks
>one of these things is not like the others

Turns out systemd-backlight@led:dell::kbd_backlight.service was hanging the system because the laptop didnt have a backlit keyboard.
>>
>>61596776
There's nothing to solve, systemd is good.
>>
Recommending me other distros is like telling me to look away and ignore the problem. It won't fix anything, what we need is a final solution.
>>
>>61601657
Aside from rewriting systemd and its components to be less interdependent, or sticking Mr. Poettering in an oven, there isn't really a final solution to be had.
>>
>>61596776
install gentoo
>>
>>61599980
I killed PID 1 once on Debian Jessie and it just brought me to a TTY. I was trying to get it to panic, shutdown, catch on fire, etc. but it just looked like every other process was killed, including lightdm, X, etc.
>>
>>61601657
>It won't fix anything, what we need is a final solution.

Write a ransomware that targets ONLY gnu/linux computers with systemd. Make it corrupt processor/hdd firmware too.

extra: make it depend on a multiple-year old WONTFIX "bug" if such exists.
>>
>>61596776
Convince Debian to drop systemd. Ubuntu would probably follow. Hope that Shuttleworth resigns as CEO, get some Lisa Su-esque CEO installed to bankrupt Red Hat, and then give Poettering a free, compulsory helicopter ride.
>>
>>61599941
>DNS resolution
Who the fuck use that though? Ntp uses google timeserver as i know, but one can switch it off.
>>
>>61602500
>Hope that Shuttleworth resigns
Why would after they started to be big in iot world?
>>
>>61596776
what the fuck is wrong with systemd? in systemd I can use systemd-analyze blame to find out what is responsible for slow boot times, BTFO.
>>
>>61597209
installing openrc is enough in this case
>>
>>61599680
>implying that there aren't worse autists than /g/
>>
>>61596776

There is no systemD question. There are solutions out there already. SystemD is fine for newbies to learn the other things of the POSIX ( the learning curve is really steep ). Later on if they want to know how to do REAL gnu/linux ( unix philosophy, learning to manage everything by terminal and config files ) they can change to openrc, s6 or something else. I think systemd is fine for desktop usage, regular uses never cared about such details.

The whole point of gnu/linux is to give the users choice ( init system, gtk/qt, DE/WM, which DE or WM, recompiling packages and kernels to optimize or cut some bloat. And distributions became really great at this.
>>
openrc
>>
>>61596776
By not using it
>>
>>61597829
They use symilar rc systems.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.