[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Debian Sid/Unstable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2638.png (82KB, 635x307px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2638.png
82KB, 635x307px
People are telling me that I shouldn't use it. Give me ONE reason why I SHOULDN'T use Debian Sid/Unstable.
>>
>>61588434
I'd say give it a try. I've been using it for a while now with 0 issues, but you should at least be prepared to troubleshoot; it is the "unstable" release after all
>>
>>61588458
This, but...

If you intend to just whine about bugs and breaks and you're unable to do anything without hand-holding, then you'd be better off with stable.
>>
I've been using it for 3 years and I'm happy with it. Install apt-listbugs though.
>>
If you're a regular user there's nothing "unstable" about it.
>>
>>61588434
Excuse the dumb question, but is debian unstable not basically the same as a rolling release arch? I've had much less trouble with more or less bleeding edge distros than with ones where everything's outdated. Heck even on my servers.
>>
>>61588434
https://hastebin.com/raw/wemimocisa
>>
>>61588618
no security updates are a good reason to consider stable. Rolling release has stable and testing versions, while Sid is just unstable.
>>
>>61588840
I see, thanks.
>>
>>61588863
Debian just released their new stable branch, so you really shouldn't worry about the "ancient packages" meme. For now.
>>
>>61588434
Where the fuck you'll download it now?
>>
>>61588434
I will save you. Listen to my words carefully.
You have a sickness I had once.
The sickness is obsessing over newest packages or compiling from source etc. to have the "cutting edge". It is a real pathology, I am not kidding or exaggerating.
There are very FEW cases where that is a good idea.

You need to decide to cure yourself of that disease

I run Debian 9 STABLE now and it's SO comfy. Put some nice DE like XFCE on it, and enjoy the comfiest life possible. Secure and stable.

Get rid of that obsession. You don't need the newest packages unless there is a really RARE case but I am almost sure you don't have that case.
>>
>>61589000
Only thing I can think of offhand that I would really want is the Mesa stack, because every release brings even better performance.
>>
>>61589024
Right, maybe if you have that need.
But for most normal Linux users, it's 100% better to use a stable release instead of a meme rolling one.

"I compile newest from source with tags" etc. and they gain 0.1% performance for a lots of work and diminished security

It's not rational
>>
>>61589105
What's the "diminished security" angle?
>>
>>61588434
gentoo is fasterer
>>
>>61589105
>diminished security
what
if anything it's added security since the attacker would need to know your cflags beforehand to know they have affected the code (for ROP)
>>
>>61588559
until you accept whatever apt suggests for actions and end up removing crucial packages
>>
>>61588913
Stable was frozen to new updates, barring bug fixes and security updates, six months before it was released.
>>
>>61588840
> no security updates
Yeah, no security backports because those patches are in the normal update channel. They don't need to be cherry picked to be applied to the older packages.
>>
File: debian.png (81KB, 1028x1270px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
81KB, 1028x1270px
>>61589163
You need to be a fucking faggot in order to use Gentoo.
>>
>>61589000
Honest question: Old applications could be an open door for attackers? Like old version of the torrent client?
>>
not using devuan the very least, giving at spin for the first time on this dedicated shitposting computer
>>
>>61588434
bacause an idea of passive testing is cancer. Nobody reported bugs for a caople of weeks? It stable now!
Just use openSUSE Tumbleweed if you want stable rolling release (get ready to reinstall drivers after kernel update though) or Arch - if you one of thoose no-life crazies.
>>
>>61588434
please stop taking tech advice from a japanimation website
>>
>>61590003
> relying on users to test bugs.
Uh, what's the alternative? Because upstream already has test suites, or doesn't, but no distro adds them. Do they have an AI to test for bugs? Do they read about bugs in the morning horoscope?
>>
>>61589934
Debian stable has a security update channel where security fixes are backported to the older versions. This it's dependant on the maintainer or security team (depending on the severity) being available to port the patch but I honestly haven't heard of a case of someone suffered because a maintainer was on holiday when a CVE was announced.
>>
>>61588434
>Sid/Unstable.
>for-what-purpose.jpg
when there is testing?
>>
>>61588434
for me it was gentoo
>>
>>61588970
You don't download unstable. You install a minimal stable Debian, upgrade to Testing, upgrade to Unstable, then install what you want.
>>
>>61590271
Yes, they do have an AI to test for bugs. It pushes random buttons (a LOT) and watches for unexpected behavior.
>>
>>61590511
Testing gets new versions that fix vulnerabilities and bugs that are discovered with at least a 10 day delay. It's also the only release that isn't maintained by humans.
>>
>decide on a distro known for its stability
>follow unstable release track
>>
>>61588434
Why shouldn't you? Do it, but don't blame us afterwards.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.