[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Arch-Linux a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

tl;dr: I begin to hate Timesink OS

So I tried to install Arch on 2 different Computers, one was a Thinkpad X230 (now running Debian) and the other is my Raspberry Pi 2B.

In the first Case I tried to unetbootin the .iso to a USB and boot it - immediate kernel panic.
Same thing with the "just do this" webinstall - immediate kernelpanic. Tried two different USBs.

Fuck it, this laptop runs Debian unstable then, whatever.

Later heard about ALARM (Arch Linux for ARM), looked up the correct version and went through 4 Iterations of trying:

Step one, follow a tutorial on the net where you put the SD Card with the Image in, set some locales, pacman -Syu the thing and then partition the disk - which spectacularily ended in a kernel panic upon reboot due to unknown Sector.

Two more tries of this, all of them unsuccessful.

Last try was folloing the official tutorial on the ALARM Website, which tells you to format the SD Card on another computer.

Guess what, halfway through the tutorial - even when logged in as root - some commands are not found. Turns out the fucking tutorial was for Arch Linux Computers only.
>>
Works on my machine.
>>
maybe you should run babbys first OS instead. ArchLinux is for power users who know what they're doing and want a rolling release binary distro.
>>
>>61587730
I installed Arch on an old laptop and used it for about a year. It was good at first but eventually I ran into more and more issues to the point where I wiped the entire thing and just ran Kubuntu.
>>
>>61588124
What issues? Did stuff break 'cause of updates? I've been using Arch for a month, all good so far, but I do wonder if/when I'll run into problems.
>>
File: FOR WHAT PURPOSE.jpg (26KB, 400x562px) Image search: [Google]
FOR WHAT PURPOSE.jpg
26KB, 400x562px
>Debian 7
Why would you use oldoldstable?
>>
There are two kind of arch users. Those who claim it's stable ans those who use the word nvidia.
>>
>t. incompetent retard
>>
>>61587730
Install CloverOS
>>
>>61588135
I was updating and my Laptop died. It was all downhill from there.
>>
>>61589057
So you didn't make sure your laptop wouldn't die on you in the middle of an update, and that's the distro's fault? Windows could shit the bed too if you powered off your PC in the middle of an update.
>>
>>61588179
I am an arch user with nVidia GPU and never really any issue after a pacman -Syu.
I don't really understand all the complaints about arch upgrade breaking stuff, the only time I had a minor issue after an upgrade it's when I realised I should have read the changelog before upgrading. Kept doing that and never had issues again.
>>
>>61589153
I didn't say that all slaves owning a nvidia product complain about stability. I just say that those who complain are slaves owning a nvidia product.
>>
>>61587730
>being so stupid that you can't format and boot pacstrap
>>
>>61589072
it booted up fine, but I had to individually rm a ton of packages, and then when I FINALLY managed to get things working again I would eventually run into similar issues. Also why do you bring up windows?
>>
>>61589236
Because your criticism isn't an arch issue. Your computer lost power during a fucking upgrade. No shit things will break.

You didn't "get things working again", you unfucked your system just enough to make it seem like it was back to normal. Your eventual issues were exposing the fact that your install was still fucked because of your stupidity and carelessness.
>>
>>61589211
Whats wrong with nvidia and arch? If anything AMD's the nightmare material.

>>61587730
unetbootin fucks up every second time for me too. Just use dd or something proper. Most of the time it seems to depend on the stick I use, not the distro.
Heck mount the physical disc in a vm and install from there. Still better.
Arch is definitely not a meme, if any of the major distros,its fedora.
>>
>>61589275
Archlinux is the most fuck-up-able distro. you can try to unfuck it, but it'll be a day project with tons of research and people on forums telling you to "read the documentation". Never Happened to me personally, but I've researched enough to see countless users getting shit on because Arch is a super seecret club. Arch is for those who have infinite amounts of time to tinker with their OS and thinkpads.
>>
>>61589318
Maybe, I don't have enough time with it myself. However, the guy I'm replying to's particular example says nothing about Arch as a stable distro. Doesn't matter what OS you're using, if you lose power during an update, shit will be borked.
>>
Is it true that the package manager in Arch will fuck around with your configs and other things in your system?
>>
>>61589057
For Arch to work properly, you have to update regulary. The last time i left my Arch outdated is like 3 months without updates, and when i run pacman -Syu, pacman just fucked up my system and made me have to reinstall
>>
>>61589357
Every package manager does that.
>>
>>61587730
neither unetbootin nor alarm are supported by the arch project
you done goofed
>>
>>61587730
Arch has been more stable and less time consuming than Debian every time I try them
>>
>>61587730
Seems more a case of user incompetency then Arch
>>
>>61589357
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave
>>
>>61589286
>f anything AMD's the nightmare material.
wtf you talkin bout? radeon free drivers are comfy af
>>
>>61587730
Installed it on two laptops. Works fine even tho I -Syuu sometimes once a year. If I ever have to do it again I won't.
>>
>>61588179
That makes perfect sense, thank you!
>>
>using unetbootin when the official iso's are hybrid
>thinking alarm is an official set of ports
1/10, made me respond
>>
>>61588074
it just werks
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.