[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are programming languages easier for english-speakers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: Programacion-C.jpg (75KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
Programacion-C.jpg
75KB, 700x500px
Are programming languages easier for english-speakers?
>>
>he doesnt know
>>
>>61580595
Clearly not Rhahitkummar
>>
>>61580595
I think so.
Ableist af.
>>
>>61580595
Are you retarded or something? Of course they are
>>
>>61580595
Are there russian versions of programming languages for russians? Like instead of if they write ecли?

If they have these, then your answer is no.
>>
There's nothing stopping you from redefining all keywords to your native language.
You'll still have to learn english to understand standard library function names.
>>
>>61580595
as a non native speaker. The first time i tried learning programming in my early teens I couldn't get through the language barrier. Couldn't remember basic function names and syntax for stuff. It didn't make sense when reading code cause the language was a huge barrier.

As your English improves this becomes negligible obviously.
>>
You can use language keywords even if you don't know the language they're written in.
For example, you'll know if to be the if-conditional keyword or whatever it's called in your language.
>>
>>61580595
yeah I'd say that just about every single language I can think of offhand is defacto anglocentric except for Qalb, which was written specifically in an attempt to address this.

What it means that english is the primary language for most forms and keywords? I think it has more to do with english being the language of diplomacy and industry in todays world and nothing to do with 'culture wars'. people don't seem to realize that most countries in this world have some dialect of english among the native population.
>>
>>61580764
It has to do with english being the language of computing.
Britian and then the US made everything of value regarding computers.
Nobody bats an eye when all coffee terms are italian, or all sheet music terms are italian, or all culinary terms are french.
They just happened to pioneer those fields.
>>
>>61580780
I said industry but I think that was too broad, you're statement is more correct. It makes sense too given our history. The allies were pioneering much of today's modern computing in an effort to defeat axis encryption. the space race among other things gave us natural impetus to proliferate these technologies. IBM and AT&T Bell all started in the US. Yes I think this is similar to musical scenes where certain artists 'define the genre' because they were simply there first when the scene was formative.
>>
>>61580764
APL?
>>
>>61580663
There are, kinda. Most of those that were not made as a joke are used to teach kids. None of them are used for anything serious, though
>>
>>61580845
APL would be closer to speaking in tongues. also to be fair most of the symbols used by APL equate to keywords with latin/anglo roots.
>>
>>61580595
>>61580663
It would probably be pretty easy to write a wrapper in any language around a Lisp, since that's that's just made up of functions, i.e. no real keywords.

I'm sure some already exist.
>>
>>61581214
Qalb
>>
>>61581214
also I'll be reall with you, I'm a closet islamophobe and I think Qalb is really pretty.
>>
>>61580595
Maybe but it hasn't stopped some of the greatest programmers that weren't native English speakers.
>>
>>61580595
Initially easier, given that all the core concepts are named in english like functions, arrays, objects, etc. I would think it is much easier to adhere to one language instead of combining naming conventions across languages. I don't think this is a serious problem unless you're teaching programming languages to people who only speak their native language and/or have learning disabilities, as they'd have to find their own heuristics to grasp these concepts, like for instance may remembering that a función, or funksjon, or funkcija, has to be spelled "function". this could potentially make the learning curve much steeper/

This could in fact be an interesting idea for a compiler, where you could actually be allowed to write:

funcion analisarImagenes {
por cada (imagen en imagenes) {
mientras (imagenes.largo > 0) {
}
}
}

//or

funksjon analyserBilder {
for hver (bilde i bilder) {
mens (bilder.lengde > 0) {
}
}
}

Luckily latin and germanic languages fit well into these code patterns. If anything this could also point to new research in linguistics and heuristics in computing: how does multilingual code affect the code itself? do/can native english speakers write better code?
>>
>>61581369
english characters are also relatively simplistic and idea for implementing in computer languages compared to other character sets. Languages with intonation, tons of complex punctuation (arabic is a good example here with it's relative markings on like characters denoting differences) or variations on letters (~'s on latin chars) would lead to a much larger instruction set overall
>>
>>61581436
I had javascript in mind when writing this but I still think it's possible to have a precompiler translate one specific language and output its plain english counterpart in these "npm install everything" days. Spanish to english would of course be much easier to implement than arabic to english. also, grammar should be out of the picture completely. function in spanish is spelled función, and you wouldn't want to face random errors because you forgot the tilde over the o. regardless, these would not necessarily increase codebase, but rather the abstraction to the actual language which is another problem by itself (e.g. sToP usInG jQuErY).
>>
>>61581595
true, you could try and mitigate it with 'func' but then you are starting to use the syntax and methodologies of varying languages. something 'Pythonic' (excuse the example) in english might not be so 'Pythonic' in Spanish if all of the keywords are truncated to more closely resemble some embedded flavor
>>
>>61580663
YoptaScript

https://yopta.space
>>
>>61581369
analizar* not analisar.
>>
>>61581691
this used to be my street name. Analizer that is.
>>
>>61581700
Mfw I speak 4 languages
Mfw 3 of them are native from my country.
Mfw I have to code in a foreign language.

Despressed.png
>>
>>61581733
so 1.3 languages? which?
>>
>>61581733
>country with 3+ native languages
aight I'm curious, where at?
normally I'd say here in the US we have 2 (english, spanish) but I met a cajun dude and that deffo wasn't english or spanish
>>
>>61581733
Switzerland?
>>
>>61581760
languages spoken by refuges don't count as native quite yet broheim
>>
>>61581767
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland
>Official languages
>German
>French
>Italian
>Romansh
>>
>>61580595
>>>61581733
>so 1.3 languages? which?

>>61580595
>>>61581733
>>country with 3+ native languages
>aight I'm curious, where at?
>normally I'd say here in the US we have 2 (english, spanish) but I met a cajun dude and that deffo wasn't english or spanish

>>61580595
>>>61581733
>Switzerland?

Nah, spain.
My dad is from vasque country and I live in Barcelona. So I speak vasque, spanish, catalan and english
>>
File: 918239182931.png (509KB, 914x608px) Image search: [Google]
918239182931.png
509KB, 914x608px
speaking of languages, do you ever find yourself trapped by your own function/variable names? i've noticed I have this autistic tendency to define a function, say "fetchAllItems", then procede to work out the most efficient way to implement such function, only to realise I have to do another task first or maybe account for other variables, but instead of just breaking up the function into more functions or redefine values, i just sit there and try to make this one perfect function work, and feel disappointed by then having to delete what once was beautifully written into something else just because i decided it was named "fetchAllItems"
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.