[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into embedded systems and get a job in it with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1580955_orig.jpg (143KB, 755x768px) Image search: [Google]
1580955_orig.jpg
143KB, 755x768px
How do I get into embedded systems and get a job in it with only a CS degree?
>>
>>61579721
make sure you know C very well, and ASM.

When finding jobs that focus on low level hard ware, make sure you know your hardware (at the very least, the CPUs very well, like arm variants and atmel). You don't need to be a manuel, you always have reference material, but when people grill you about stuff, be sure to know your basics.

t. web intdustry guy that didn't get into embedded industries because he didn't want to work at automotive or agencies that develop shit for microsoft like bsquare.
>>
Get a RPi and you can start with simple things lile turning on a led and move on from there
>>
>>61579824
Also this basically
>>61579823
>>
>>61579823
>>61579824
Thanks anons
>>
>>61579721
I'm in the exact same boat as you OP, I have been looking into grad programs for either computer engineering or some schools even offer embedded systems masters or certificates. Are you planning on trying to get a job with just your undergrad degree? My problem is literally none of my coursework in undergrad was specific to embedded systems which is why I was looking at grad school. I'm a web dev intern right now and fucking hate it.
>>
>>61579989
And most importantly maybe, don't use libraries to do shit with the embedded systems (wiringPi etc) write them yourself
>>
>>61579721
Computer engineering/Embedded Systems coursework.

From the CS side, you should have or could have approached it by doing OS coursework. That naturally gets you close to the hardware.

There is tons of coursework materials from top universities like stanford freely available. I suggest you go the formal route and progress through an actual course. Tinkering with RPi's will teach you about Memory mapped I/O and some basics but you're going to have a hackers view of Embedded Systems and not a systems view. You need to cover bread/depth in a formal capacity w/ reinforcement through coding exercises.

Best of luck
>>
>>61579823
I know the basics of C, how do I learn it "very well"? What sort of stuff should I try working on?
>>
>>61580399
>>61579824
What is an rpi?
>>
>>61579824
>tfw can do way more than turn on led with microcontrollers
>still don't have a job
what is this fucking meme
>>
>>61580653
This is exactly why I'm probably going to go to grad school, seems like everyones advice is "learn how to turn on an led and control some motors and know c then your good" but there is a lot more to it than that.
>>
>>61579824
Aren't arduino or microcontrollers better to learn about low level hardware?
I thought rpi is just a Linux? You don't need memory management if you turn on the led using python.
>>
Just learning to control IGBT with ti c2000 how fucked am i?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.