[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro Hacking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: hackerman.jpg (247KB, 975x600px) Image search: [Google]
hackerman.jpg
247KB, 975x600px
Does anyone else feel a huge rush of nostalgia from retro hacking? Things like Hackerman from "Kung Fury", and of course the classic "Hackers" movie. It brings good memories of the internet before it was owned by cancerous and greedy companies. Definitely a simpler time. I still have our old family desktop from the late 90's. Good times.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>61572296
Normies ruin everything.
>>
yes...very good times xD
>>
>>61572296
i think dial-up tones gave me a little more autism everytime i hear them but I still love the sound
>>
>does anyone else feel a huge rush of nostalgia for inaccurate hollywood depictions of a scene I wasn't alive to actually experience
>does anyone else born in le wrong generation?

reddit
>>
no because that shit predates early home internet by five to ten years you retarded millenial, stop feeling nostalgia for things you didnt actually experience
and using the internet on shitty dialup was ten times worse than it is now
>>
>>61573419
I never said I was a millennial.
>>
>>61573609
I'm not >>61573419 but I agree that you sound a little out of touch with what things were actually like.

If you're really into that stuff and have a good attention span, you might check out the long-ass documentary BBS by Jason Scott, the same guy who made the text-adventure documentary Get Lamp.

I for one am an Xer (born in 74), and grew up with a C64/128. Dialing into CompuServe was definitely not "the internet", though.
>>
>>61573705
I understand the exaggeration of hacking in popular movie culture, but my point was that whole "retro" sub culture was nostalgic to me. Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
Forth gives me the ultimate sense of retro hacking because it ran on the earliest oldest computers with the smallest ram and was basically a teeny unix in disguise
>>
>>61573730
In order for it to be nostalgic for you, you'd need to have lived through it, and it's fairly obvious you didn't. You're not alone, though. There are certainly a lot of you, and you all have pretty obvious tells. For example, I pretty much use "vaporwave" as an instant tell that you probably weren't even alive in the nineties, let alone any time prior. The "recollections" of the late seventies and eighties by people who didn't live through them is, well, just fucking weird. It just is.

I'm really not sure why a bunch of younger people are pining for a time they weren't around for, but I'm willing to bet a lot of it is an attraction to a made-up "aesthetic" image of the times that wasn't actually the case. All that said, like what you like, I guess. Just understand that absolutely none of it is rooted in reality.
>>
>>61573730
>retro" sub culture
There never was such a thing.
>>
>>61576125
Not him but I was born in the mid 90's and think vaporwave is the shit, St. Pepsi in particular is awesome
>>
>>61576125
Every generation has a group that yearns for a better time.

My dad listened to big band music from the 40s while growing up in the 60s.

I was born in '95 and I'm nostalgic for the 80s/90s.
>>
>>61576125
i was 19991 and i think vaporwave is coool sometimes
>>
>>61577116
>19991
Nigga, you're from the future. Of course you think ancient relics are cool.
>>
>>61577284
You completely misunderstood the post.

I said 'coool', cop slang for "effective in chilling anarcho-transhumanist mobs". 19991 was my precinct. Vaporwave is what we do to protesters.
>>
>>61577580
Sorry, I'm not from the cyberpunk dystopian end of the country.
>>
>>61572296
This is the best bait I've seen in a long time.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.