[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been using a combination of Gentoo, Arch and Debian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

I've been using a combination of Gentoo, Arch and Debian for over 15 years now for my OS needs.
However, real life is forcing me to own either a modern windows or (according to them) an OSX machine is much more preferable.

>this kills the freetard
Is the macbook air still /g/s first choice when it comes to homosexual laptops?

The screen is pretty shit but it seems to have the best Linux support since ill be dualbooting arch for personal use.
Also it seems to be the only mac without the dongle autism.
>>
>>61571783
I used Fedora, Ubuntu and Arch on my MacBook air but none of them worked as well as macOS on that computer. They would always run hot and battery life was about 30 minutes or an hour less than macOS.

Eventually, I bought a cheap X230 and I put Fedora and OpenBSD on it.
>>
>should I get a computer with fuckhuge bezels, a screen that was good in 2007 and shit overall specs?
Gee, Idk OP, what do you think?
Dell XPS 13.
>>
>>61571836
Were you using a newer kernel and tlp?
>>61571897
Thats also on the list but I kinda hate how the keyboard flexes and the non glass trackpad will be shit when the coating wears off.
>>
>>61571783
No the macbook air is a really poor choice, that screen is shit tier and I'm fairly certain the hardware is also very out of date. If you don't need much power at all the normal macbook is a really nice portable machine. Otherwise non-touchbar 13" macbook pro is good.
If you do need power your only option is the 15" macbook pro because it has the hq series of chips in it.
If the job is paying for it just get the mbp, if you're paying for it look into second hand models or just buy the macbook(nonpro). Macs hold their resale value very well for the cost of ownership isn't as high as it appears assuming it doesnt need any repairs.
>>
>>61571783
Macbook air is probably apple's last decent machine

>mac pro, macbook pro, macbook all ruined
>>
>>61571783
why not run a VM?
>>
>>61571961
TLP and powerTOP with kernel 4.0+.

Linux was pretty fast, but always hot.

You're probably better off buying a more powerful MacBook pro with a dedicated graphics card and virtualizing Linux.
>>
>>61572050
>>61572016
I really dont want to deal with a homosexual operating system. The plan is to repartition the disk and leave like 20 gigs for osx for the shitty program that ill be using like once a week.
>>61572050
What gen air is this? you're worrying me anon
>>61572011
My main draw to the air is the non flat keyboard and that it actually has ports. What the fuck were they thinking with the pro?
>>
>>61571961
>I kinda hate how the keyboard flexes
The only way I can get it to flex is if I try. Like, push my fist against it. Is this something you plan on doing?
>>
>>61572230
I tried out the latest one in best buy mast week and the keyboard flexes in the middle.
Also the trackpad is plastic and the coating was worn out, feels really nasty.

Otherwise the xps is really good and seems to have great Linux compatibility.
>>
>>61572223
It's a mid 2012 11 inch.

Quit being a moron and embrace macOS because it's a no hassle UNIX-like that has all your favorite shit installed, and what isn't there can be installed easily.

It comes with bash and vim.

>What the fuck were they thinking with the pro?

Probably making a pro content creation device with a few universal ports for all the shit that people want to plug in.

When was the last time you needed to plug in more than four things to your fucking computer?
>>
>>61572277
>I tried out the latest one in best buy mast week and the keyboard flexes in the middle.
While typing? No it doesn't.
While trying to make it flex? Sure.
>Also the trackpad is plastic and the coating was worn out, feels really nasty.
I've had mine for over a year and I can't even notice the wearing off (although I can see it from the reflection). I don't really care, but if you do then it's a valid complaint.
>>
>>61571783
>an OSX machine is much more preferable.
I really don't understand
If they port software to osx, how hard could it be to work with it on linux as well?
>>
>>61572363
>GUI uses Cocoa
>>
>>61572307
You literally can't plug in a mouse + keyboard while charging the thing. How the fuck are you defending this shit?

osx is garbage. Shit filesystem, old as fuck libraries and it has piss all graphics support. It cant even run a lot of the retroarch cores. I also hate the UI and the file manager is simply unintuitive.
Unfortunately the software that im required to use works best on osx so thats why im considering the air.
>>61572363
You tell me. It kinda works on windows but not well.
>>61572362
The display model probably had seen a lot more use than yours so that would probably be why. Still, it has a gorgeous and I love how small it is. Do you have Linux running on yours?
>>
Don't forget to buy enough lubricant with that mac, OP.

>>61572307
power adapter, ethernet, external monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, backup HDD, RS232 converter
>>
>>61572307
Also im assuming that a 13' 2017 would have a better cooling setup no?
>>61572435
The air looks like it works well with arch and ill get one of those black covers to make the thing look less gay, if I buy it.
>>
>>61572421
That model has 2 USB ports as well as a magsafe 2 connector.
>>
>>61572421
>Do you have Linux running on yours?
Yes, Fedora 26. Works fine. You know all those "omg linux breaks all the time and takes forever to configure"? Now imagine they were lies and it's just a laptop with a unix OS that works fine.
>Shit filesystem
To be fair, they're phasing out HFS+ to AFS.
>>
>>61572421
On the non touch bar 13 you can't, but that's not what it's made for.

HFS+ is indeed shit but at least APFS is coming.

If you're the OP, it's laughable that you're saying it has piss all graphics support.

And the rest of the shit is preference.

>>61572435
You're trying to make a laptop work as a desktop.

Just out of curiosity why do you need an RS232 converter?
>>
>>61572450
Marginally better cooling setup, but zero linux support. Do not buy it for linux.

You're trying to put a square peg in a round hole, OP. The hardware and the software are made for each other.
>>
>>61572495
>On the non touch bar 13 you can't, but that's not what it's made for.
This is a great cop-out: everytime I find a flaw in something, I say that's not what it was made for.
Plastic laptops are made for people who like plastic.
The Samsung Note 7 isn't bad, it's just made for people who like exploding phones.
>And the rest of the shit is preference.
You heard it here, folks: outdated libs are a matter of preference.
>>
>>61572471
Dude I use Arch on my T420 and it was my main machine for months. I know the "xorg just broke again" meme.
I really doubt AFS would be as good as even ext4. This Apple we're talking about.

>>61572528
there's plenty of videos on YouTube of people running Linux just fine on their 2014+ models. And the arch wiki has an entry for the 2014 model (it looks like the 2017 is the same with a higher clock speed) and it works basically ootb other than the broadcom wifi driver.
>>
>>61571783
OP just put macOS on a X220 or T420, works flawlessly except for having to replace wifi card

http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/
>>
>>61572679
I need my t40 for other things though. And sadly battery life is a concern, thats why im choosing between the xps and air.
Still leaning towards the latter though
>>
>>61572979
why not get an older macbook pro 13 inch, has ports, doesnt have cancerous display
>>
>>61573034
Thats also a good idea.
Is it possible to get them in the box still? I dont want a laptop covered in gay cum/ hipster pussy fluids
>>
>>61571783
I personally have the MacBook 2016, it just works. Dongles aren't really a problem if your stuff is up to date, usbc is the future. I first had openbsd on it and it was well, but I realised Mac OS is superior to freetard attempts at making a desktop, gui OS
>>
>>61573059
Apple Refurb Store
>>
>>61572679
And the touchpad. That works as bad as it gets.
>>
>>61573371
Worked well enough for doing gestures
used nipple for normal mouse movement
>>
Is the 15 inch 2015 model MBP the best bang for my buck? It has the i7, 16gigs of ram and 256 gigs ssd
>>
>>61571783
Get a T420 and install macOS on it.

Just updated to 10.12.6, it werks.
>>
>>61571961
It has a glass trackpad. At least my 9365 has.
>>
File: 1487647509474.jpg (264KB, 1080x1370px) Image search: [Google]
1487647509474.jpg
264KB, 1080x1370px
>>61571783
>>
>>61574927
Fug
>>61574553
So is it a bad coating thats on it? Also it didnt feel glass at all, more like plastic. My elitebook as a glass trackpad and I like how they feel, especially if im not gonna have a trackpoint.
>>
>>61571783
2015 Macbook Air can handle Linux if you use 17.04 of any of the Ubuntu flavors. Expect it to run hot on Kubuntu and Gnome Ubuntu, though.

>first choice
Honestly, I'd rather have a thinkpad
>>
>>61575134
My x201 also ran hot on GMOME with arch, switching to KDE dropped the average temps from 55-60 to 45.

And yeah the air seems to be fine with Linux. No clue why the screen is so garbage though
>>
>>61575288
It's mostly an issue of wifi drivers, and screen/backlit keyboard control problems. I didn't try 16.04 of any of the flavors after I noticed 17.04 ran well out of the box, so there's a chance it runs fairly well if you could give a fuck about GTK3.

Linux Mint 17 had screen control issues, but the recent 17.1 worked pretty well.
>>
>>61575359
Ubungo and mint use older kernels, which would explain the backlight.
As with most laptops you'll need the broadcom dkms drivers for non Intel wifi cards, not too big a deal.
>>
>>61572550
My point still stands. If you need something different, get something different.

How are the libs outdated? Do they not do what you need them to do specifically? Are they the same libs that you think they are? How do you know they're not "outdated" for stability and tuned by apple for certain applications?

>>61572615
>works out of the box other than the wifi driver

Then the 2017 does not support everything. I have my X230 with OpenBSD for tinkering with shit.

>>61575288
The Air screen is garbage because it's probably going to be phased out for the retina MacBook soon.
>>
>>61571783

Get a windows 10 key on ebay for 10-15 bucks

Make a partition
>>
The screen isn't that bad. It's not premium by any means but it sure beats the shit out of the bargain bin Gateways and Dells I had used before.

I like my Macbook Air but I wouldn't pay Apple prices for it check the local mom and pop computer shops around you if you have them that's where I got mine.

I think Newegg sells refurbished units as well but I like to see and feel mine to make sure its been thoroughly taken care off.
>>
>>61575076
the glass has some kind of coating. i really like it but apparently it needs to be wiped with a clean dry cloth every now and then to stay in perfect shape.
>>
File: 1475422465507.jpg (438KB, 1200x1020px) Image search: [Google]
1475422465507.jpg
438KB, 1200x1020px
>buying a dumpster fire
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.