[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: OpenSourceCompSciLogo1.png (575KB, 2500x734px) Image search: [Google]
OpenSourceCompSciLogo1.png
575KB, 2500x734px
Good colleges for a major in Computer Science/Programming in Pennsylvania?
>>
Spend the time you would be wasting on college developing something useful in the language and subfield you plan on occupying. Trust me, you'd be on a higher playing field then if you went to any college in your area, prestigious or not.
>>
>>61567828
carnegie mellon
>>
>>61567828
UPenn
CMU

Not that you'll get in either. Aim for Drexel.
>>
>>61567907

I don't think I have the scores to get into there, and I definitely don't have the money for it
>>
>>61567915
Tbh the real patrician option is going to Drexel with good grades and going for the accelerated MS option. Drexel's tuition is high, but they give so much aid. I am paying only $9k a year for tuition, and my grades in high school were great but not CMU or UPenn tier. I'm going to graduate after 5 years with a masters and 18 momths of work (co-op) experience. Plus I only have to pay for 4 years of tuition because of the three co-ops, and you earn $15k for each 6 month co-op. I think the CS accelerated masters program only has two co ops.
The holiday breaks are short, but I'm just trying to focus on my education anyways so I don't mind. Carnagie and UPenn are great schools that unlock opportunities, but I fucked around in high school so I didn't really have a shot of getting in either. But honestly I'd rather take having a Drexel education, no debt, and work experience over ivy league education, connections, and 200k worth of debt. Penn state and Pitt aren't bad either if Drexel doesn't interest you.
>>
>>61568162
Yea I haven't looked too much into Drexel, and had been looking at some out of state schools. My high school CS teacher recommended Millersville because that's where he went and he said their program wasn't that bad, but I don't know if there are better options. I'm going into my senior year of HS, my best/only SAT and ACT scores consist of a 1270(not happy with, retaking) and a 29 and have a current average GPA of 3.8 and got a 5 on my AP CS test. I don't know where that puts me though in terms of qualifying for some of the better colleges
>>
>>61568217
You should retake your SAT, but your GPA is very solid, if it is on a 4.0 scale. AP scores don't affect admissions to my knowledge, but a 5 is great. I haven't heard of millersville but your grades seem well above the average so you'll probably get good aid.
>>
>>61568293
I definitely plan on retaking my SAT, when I took the preSATs I got upwards of 1350, I just blew it on the english portion. And I'll definitely look into Drexel now as an option
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.