[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>replacing all my HDDs with SSDs >have a bunch of slow-ass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: raid.jpg (302KB, 1400x777px) Image search: [Google]
raid.jpg
302KB, 1400x777px
>replacing all my HDDs with SSDs
>have a bunch of slow-ass HDDs collecting dust now

Would it be worthwhile setting up an external RAID 1 storage solution to back up my shit? Do any /g/entoomen use RAID 1 at all outside of an IT/work setting?
>>
File: 1495308093110.jpg (111KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
1495308093110.jpg
111KB, 640x853px
>>61563454
>Would it be worthwhile setting up an external RAID 1 storage solution to back up my shit?
Yes if you don't already have a dedicated backup solution

>Do any /g/entoomen use RAID 1 at all outside of an IT/work setting?
RAID is usually not worth while outside of an enterprise setting because of the drives needed, unless you just have some spare drives lying around like you
>>
>>61563541
Wow needing 3 whole disks rather than 2 is totally not worth it. Haha it's not like a backup should have any redundancy
>>
>>61563454
I use RAID 1. Though I'm a hoarder and have a lot more stuff than you probably have. There's a few reasons to use it - two is the minimum number of drives needed to get redundancy (this is why you'll see a lot of servers with RAID 1 boot drives), it's simple and fast to implement, and (my situation) if you're using ZFS its the easiest way to make an array that's easy to expand later. ZFS has the irritating limitation that vdevs are immutable and can't be changed or removed once added. If you make those vdevs mirrors, then you can add disks, or replace disks to expand storage, two at a time, instead of three or more at a time.

Anyway you might as well use your old disks for backups, if you've nothing else to do with them. Can't hurt, might help.

>>61563541
RAID isn't a backup, but if you're a hobbyist with more data than you can afford to keep proper backups of, it'll do. You don't get anything offsite, so you're vulnerable to shit like lightning and fires, but you get protection from drive death, bit rot, and some history if you use snapshots.
>>
>>61563590
Most people don't need a constant bit for bit backup
Backing up the most important files every week or even month is good enough for most people
99% of people don't even have backups, anon
Tape drive setup would be 100x better for long term backups
>>
>>61563595
You can get protection from lightning with UPS battery backup.
>>
>tfw redundant 24GB glusterfs servers using RAID-Z2
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.