[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/G/ please explain to me all the shilling for Linux. What is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170719_093005.jpg (337KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170719_093005.jpg
337KB, 1536x2048px
/G/ please explain to me all the shilling for Linux.
What is the point of it?
I've used Linux a couple times and every time I get rid of it.
It doesn't fit my needs, why does it fit yours?
Also there will never be a "Year of Linux"
>>
post in a relevant existing thread: >>>/g/linux
>>
File: lol.png (54KB, 391x194px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
54KB, 391x194px
Its just easier to use for most people.
You aren't most people.
>>
>>61534499

>easier to use for most people

1% of people is his definition of "most".
>>
>>61534429
they are in their 20.
>>
>>61534661
*20s.
>>
>>61534429
If you don't play vidya on your computer, linux is quite a bit more lightweight and runs better on older hardware, increasing the lifespan of a computer.

Windows has a tendency to do really shady shit as it's owned by a company that intends to make money on it and people don't like that.

Linux can be as simple or as complex as you'd like, which really helps me out because my grandparents kept getting viruses on their computers and I didn't want them to tap into my inheritance to buy macs.

I've dumbed it down for them so that they can pretty much only use facebook and look at news, there's an icon they can click on to ask me for remote help.
>>
>>61534429
I'm guessing your needs include video games, in which case you're fucked.

Otherwise, development is significantly easier, configuration is a lot less fucky/opaque, I'm generally configuring bullshit little things less than I would be with Windows, stability is significantly better, I don't have to work around retarded design choices, etc.
>>
>>61534716
That's a good explanation.
But, you said you didn't want to buy them Macs. If their PCs weren't too old you might have been able to make them macs.
>>
>>61534429
Desktop with Windows for games.
Laptop with Linux for everything else.
If you disagree you're either a poorfag, a normie or both.
>>
>>61534749
Since my laptop is old I run OS 10.9 on it (Dell Vostro 2520)
Required some tinkering but it works great.
>>
File: c9b.jpg (24KB, 639x480px) Image search: [Google]
c9b.jpg
24KB, 639x480px
>>61534738
>building your grandparents a hackintosh
>>
>>61534782
meh just a though. it is incredibly difficult sometimes though.
>>
File: 1364353393396.jpg (81KB, 447x604px) Image search: [Google]
1364353393396.jpg
81KB, 447x604px
>>61534429
Linux is an operating system built by programmers, for programmers, where the highest priority is customizability and remote management.

If you don't care about running servers, building embedded devices, or writing software for servers and embedded devices, then Linux probably isn't for you. I also wonder why you're on this board, but you do you, I guess.
>>
>>61534801
I find /g/ entertaining sometimes
>>
>>61534801
>I also wonder why you're on this board
obviously for the consumers' threads
>>
>>61534738
I thought about that, but it had to be simpler than even that for them.

They're very old and tech illiterate and I wanted to cut away as many potential stupid questions and issues as I could.
>>
>>61534429
>What is the point of it?
Free software. That's all it ever was. Once you realize the benefits of it you will never go back.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.