[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Move to FreeBSD right now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 12

File: 1498246097611.jpg (297KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1498246097611.jpg
297KB, 1280x960px
Daily reminder once Linus dies your kernel will be more infected than it is right now. Daily reminder little by little Red Hat and Debian are introducing very suspicious stuff to the code.
daily reminder the kernel will have thousands of lines of bloatware code that will never be removed
Move to FreeBSD or TempleOS right now.
Not even Gentoo will be safe
>>
>>61526155
I'll wait about a week until release 11.1 comes out and try it again.
>>
It's like looking at a bunch of underachieving neckbeard virgins, except these are female armpitbeard versions.
>>
Move now before it's too late

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Linux-Linus-Torvalds-kernel-too-complex-code,14495.html
http://techie-buzz.com/foss/linux-kernel-double-size-three-years.html
http://www.rako.com/Suffer/36.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Linux-Linus-Torvalds-kernel-too-complex-code,14495.html
>>
>>61526155
>Red Hat and Debian are introducing very suspicious stuff to the code.
>Debian

Like what?
>>
>>61526155
#OppressedSquad
>>
>>61526254
red hat pay a lot of coders to modify the kernel
they claim they are''fixing'' it but it's impossible to track since they make so many modifications

They modify a lot of other software too which Debian incorporates in their distro.
>>
Please share this:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/05/linus_torvalds_admits_buggy_crap_made_it_into_linux_48/
https://blog.eset.ie/2014/03/18/operation-windigo-malware-used-to-attack-over-500000-computers-daily-after-25000-unix-servers-hijacked-by-backdoor-trojan/

Daily reminder once Linus dies no one will bother to remove shit code and malware from the kernel
Daily reminder Stallman can't be trusted with his shit GPL policy
Daily reminder Ubuntu introduced adware and spyware in 14.04 LTS and they will do it again in the future
Daily reminder Linux Mint team ''forgot'' to secure the servers and exposed the password of all of its users
>>
>>61526298
But what suspicious stuff are they adding to code? I'm sure you can name at least a few examples, right?
>>
>>61526326
>the state of BSDfags
>>
>>61526353
I can
92% of systemd modifications were written by red hat employees.
No one ever look at the code. Even Linus admitted systemd fix some issues but it will be bloatware in the very future
http://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-and-others-on-linuxs-systemd/

The german leftist retard who wrote systemd can't be trusted. He is very hysterical and emotional when it comes to dealing with security
>>
>>61526326
>Linux Mint team ''forgot'' to secure the servers and exposed the password of all of its users
Passwords to what?
>>
>>61526220
They're called legbeards, newshit.
>>
>>61526416
But what suspicious stuff is Debian introducing to the code, like OP claimed?
>>
>>61526326
For gods sake, this is why Linux will always be a fucking catastrophe. Windows will be one in the same manner. Looks like macOS hackintosh is the only sensible thing to do.
>>
>>61526427
all users passwords were exposed
Obviously it's a lie.You don't store the password of 25,000+ users in a very amateur servers.
>>
>>61526451
>But what suspicious
>dude I am just pretending I want information but I really want to claim Ubuntu is totally safe and you shouldn't worry about the kernel
>I mean are you a nerd? hahaha
fuck off
>>
>>61526416
OP was talking about the kernel, do you retards default to systemd bashing every time you're cornered?
>>
Systemd: backed by Redhat and promoted by Debian

https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=14/12/21/0145243
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74589
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IT13697

TL;DR: http://ewontfix.com/14/
>>
>>61526461
User passwords to linux mint, because I don't remember having to make an account, or give them passwords to anything ever.
>>
>>61526492
the same people that write and modify systemd garbage also contribute to the kernel you stupid whore
>>
>>61526523
http://hackaday.com/2016/02/22/linux-mint-hacked-briefly-bad-isos-compromised-forum/
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3001

>As far as the forum compromise, the breech netted usernames, emails, and encrypted passwords, as well as personal information that forum users may have entered in signatures or private messages.
>>
>>61526524
But what are their suspicious contributions? I'm sure you can name them.
>>
>>61526298
>it's impossible to track
You could, you know, read the source code. This is not guaranteed to be possible in future versions of FreeBSD or TempleOS.
>>
>>61526559
you look like those /r/atheism fedora fags
>>
>>61526585
Can't you name these suspicious contributions? What a shame.
>>
>>61526576
>This is not guaranteed to be possible in future versions of FreeBSD
The sad state of /g/
>>
Don't laugh at me, but i've been using Haiku as my daily driver for about a week now, and it's really good. I wish more people would use it so that more software gets ported to it, but as it is it handles my usage well. Always get the nightly, though.
>>
>>61526155
Why don't you post your desktop? Maybe because it's w10? :^)
>>
File: kernel.jpg (105KB, 1072x350px) Image search: [Google]
kernel.jpg
105KB, 1072x350px
>We are also proud that many of the top kernel developers recognized in both write-ups are Red Hat employees
as I said, once Linus dies no one will bother to remove the crap Red Hat introduces.
Also the kernel as of today is impossible to audit. It's not a total mess thanks to Linus that tries to keep it slightly stable
Still the kernel is far from stable and today people are moving to upstream because the stable version is so buggy it's not even worth using for a long time
>>
>>61526585
Asking for evidence for stupid claims is being a fedora now?
>>
>>61526601
>>61526672
>being this desperate to get another (you)
there you go. it's free
>>
>>61526669
>moving to upstream because the stable version is so buggy it's not even worth using for a long time
wtf are you up to? Lts vanilla kernels are stable af. Nobody forced to use red patches though.
>>
>>61526705
>Lts vanilla kernels are stable af
>he doesn't know
Yes sure, just wait a few years until they start to introduce nvidia and amd spyware code there
>>
>>61526683
Nobody will take your FUD seriously this way. Try harder or go back to Mumbai.
>>
>>61526705
>tells people to use templeos in the op
>people take him seriously

wew
>>
>>61526738
>he is so hard defending Red Hat kernel that he is claiming I am the pajeet
Don't you take your meds on sunday?
https://lwn.net/Articles/705220/
>>
>>61526740
>Temple OS code
>not totally free of bloatware
>b-but
:)
>>
File: ph7apg19uz6z.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
ph7apg19uz6z.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>61526155
No. Install Haiku OS.
>>
>>61526773
so funny XD
>>
TempleOS is totally open source contrary to popular myth spread by /g/ 16 year old retards
the website is down right now but everyone can find the code there later
>>
>>61526756
Unrelated.
>>
>>61526821
>he thinks the updates that lead to a stable release is unrelated
(You)
>>
>>61526809
So Terry Nigger is part of the botnet.
>>
>>61526832
>>
>61526824
>he thinks patches only backported by RH
>>
Worst thread of the day.
>>
>61526858
>after trying to get so many (you) people didn't fall for my baits
>>
There is one retard in this thread

>Claims updates are unrelated to the kernel
>Gets called out
>reacts like a hysterical prostitute

/g/ was a mistake
>>
If you have a problem with the local kernel. Use another kernel. Openbsdk is available, so is hurd and open Solaris. I think there is another Mach one available as well.
>>
File: ops.png (20KB, 1066x55px) Image search: [Google]
ops.png
20KB, 1066x55px
>>61526904
What updates retard?
>>
>>61526904
Thin skinned retard who can't read even what he links.
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-07-14_18-48-08.png (2MB, 3280x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-07-14_18-48-08.png
2MB, 3280x1080px
>freebsd
run openbsd you dumb nigger
>>
>>61526920
>>61526977
these retards don't even know what a kernel is
>>
>>61526993
>no adblock
>using shit wallpaper
I honestly hope you are not this retarded
>>
>>61526995
Reasoning is your weak point.
>>
>>61526995
I hope you are pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>61526993
Crappy scheduler and slow filesystem.
Also sndio have shitty output and barely supported by anything.
>>
>>61527014
adblock was not installed at the time of this install, it is now : )
bliss is great, i love it with the windows nt era GTK theme KDE uses, super ironic 2
>>
>>61527123
>slight speed
My scripts was 4 times slower on it than on obango.
ZFS isn't available for openbsd.
>>
>>61527215
That's an April Fools joke you fucking retard.

>please don't argue about things you have no experience in, you make yourself look retarded.
>>
>>61527215
Ffs is the default. I have yet to see someone with openbsd using ZFS. Feel free to show yours :)
>>
>>61526155
>Move to FreeBSD or TempleOS right now.
because those two operating systems are so similar
>>
>>61527301
Here is Ted Unangst's blog post about it the very next day, explaining why OpenBSD doesn't have ZFS:

https://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/ZFS-on-OpenBSD
>>
>>61527324
tfw lose argumant
>>
>>61527325

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkkDvKGcNSo

Free of bloatware and bad code.
Not that linux is garbage.. there is a decent Linux distro called Arch and Devuan.. the problem is that their distro is heavily based on whatever red hat writes on the kernel

I'd go with TrueOS if you are a new user
>>
>>61527330
imright and your wrong, simple as that
>>
>>61527375
>I was merely pretending

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#List_of_operating_systems_supporting_ZFS
>>
>>61527386
>wikipedia

fuck off troll

seriously though, no openbsd does not support ZFS

why should it? the link you posted above explains why the stock filesystem is good enough.
>>
>>61526416
Where are the examples faggot?
>>
>>61527368
did you mean to quote me? because what youre saying has nothing to do with the fact that the op recommended two vastly different operating systems as alternatives to linux.

one is a decent, tested OS... and the other is a hobbyist project.

you don't know what youre talking about if youre suggesting those operating systems as both viable alternatives for linux users.
>>
It goes like this

Linus > BSD > Terry A. Davis

The problem is once Linus dies Linux will become worse than windows
>>
>>61527343
N?
>>
>>61527436
>TrueOS
>Devuan
>not easy and user friendly as Mint
you are the problem with modern society
>>
>>61527436
honestly templeos is a solid OS with a ton of shitty religous addons
i highly doubt it would be usable for a desktop user, but it would run pretty nicely on embedded devices if it were coded in that direction and minimal.
>>
>>61527450
: ((
no spellchecker on openbsd
:^)
>>
>>61527413
Butthurt faggot.
>>
>>61527514
>butthurt
i would be if i had a bf : (
>>
>Minnesota Schools Adopt Transgender Toolkit for Kindergartners

http://freebeacon.com/issues/minnesota-schools-adopt-transgender-toolkit-kindergartners/
>>
>>61526220
>virgins
I'm sure they've munched each others' carpets.
>>
>>61526524
Systemd is good, you 90 year old man stuck in his ways.

>inb4 berated by autists.
>>
>>61527664
this is what a shill looks like
>>
BSD is useless as a desktop operating system.
Who's paying you to shill this garbage?
Because nobody in their right mind would do it for free.
>>
what do you shitheads think about midori?
xD
>>
>>61528359
Is that toilet paper?
>>
>>61526993
Why? Give me a legitimate reason?

If you claim security, let me refute you right away:

pledge is a system call wrapper and therefore suffers from many forms of attacks, such as time-of-check-to-time-of-use, allowing you to bypass pledge. Additionally, even the OpenBSD man page claims that they hope the executed program will be pledged, as you're out of the sandbox the moment you exec.

Furthermore, ASLR (or ASR in OpenBSD) is pretty shitty, and besides, the smallest information leak can de-randomize the entire space.

KARL is a retarded thing because you have enough leaks in your kernel to actually not even care about KARL.

You have absolutely no notion of any sort of mandatory access control, and claiming that it's somehow bad speaks margins about the knowledge OpenBSD folks have in security.

LibreSSL claims to be more secure with 0 proof that it actually is (muh CVE numbers, hint, it doesn't mean it's more secure).

W^X is not strict, i.e., i can mmap() a page twice, once write, once exec and get W|X. Doesn't really save you. Furthermore, page aliasing is a problem here because it's a on a page-wide basis, not on a pointer-wide basis. NOEXEC suffers from this problem as well.

On top of that, OpenBSD forks almost every utility out there and has to maintain it with less manpower than the upstream, then claims it's more secure without anyone actually testing it properly outside of the said people who call it secure.

And with all that, OpenBSD's excuse for an outright awful system (filesystem, scheduler, netstack (starving modern NICs of buffers because your SMP sucks, wow...)) is the very thing I've just ranted on: security.

TL;DR: There is literally no reason to use this god awful system, stay away from it if you care about security or if you care about any form of usefulness from your system.
>>
>suspicious stuff
Wtf does that mean?
Can't you guys just audit open source software easily?
I'm not a programmer so I'm asking seriously.
>>
I'm already using it.
>>
The smell in that room must be unbearable
>>
>>61528926
Typical bullshit you'll hear desu. There is nothing questionable being added, it's just gigantic and not well thought out. You can audit the source code, the problem with it is that it's in the kernel and therefore difficult to actually test/fuzz/asan/tsan and so on, so it's kind of difficult to find bugs/exploits. I'm not excluding that someone's leaving in a vuln with malicious intents, but it's likely not Red Hat and Debian.
>>
File: Sony_NEWS_Workstation_(1993).jpg (121KB, 1216x732px) Image search: [Google]
Sony_NEWS_Workstation_(1993).jpg
121KB, 1216x732px
>>61528396
People have been saying this for all *nix systems since NT, it wasen't true then, it sure as hell isn't true now.
>SunOS, on a workstation?!
>Linux, on a workstation?!
et al.
The software has only gotten more standard and more widespread. Even on the most esoteric hardware you can probably get pkg-src to run on it and install a graphical environment that's suitable for daily tasks, this is like the worst possible scenario and it's still fine.
>>
>>61528871
i appreciate the write-up debating to switch
is freebsd safer?
i am paranoid t b h
>>
>>61528871
show us the exploits then
>>
>>61526220
>female
>>
>>61528871
I'm defining the bullshit bulleted list fallacy. you touch on a list of buzzwords briefly, in succession, so it makes you look like you know what you're talking about when really you don't
>>
>>61526416
>kernel
>systemd
please pick one
>>
>>61526416
>"show an example of bad code in the kernel"
>92% of systemd modifications were written by red hat employees.
>implying systemd is the Linux kernel

You just went full retard.
>>
Reminder that BSD is true freedom and GNU/Linux is a communist virus that permanently infects and corrupts code.
>>
>>61528871
you suffer from "i just want to be right" syndrome. with all your anger you could actually be helping improve security for everyone like openbsd but you're rather on some crusade to tear it apart.
>>
>>61526155
Ubuntu was developed by nsa, Debian has ties to nsa and Red hat is a Linux you have to buy haha. Nothing has changed bro
>>
>>61530092
the shit we have to sift through.
>>
>>61526524
That simply untrue. Lennart Poettering has very little influence over the kernel. The only major systemd contributor that I can think of that is also a kernel contributor/maintainer is Tejun Heo. And yes, he has made _many_ questionable decisions (which I've argued with him about) mainly because he wants to make cgroups more friendly to systemd. However, a lot of other maintainers have showed a lot of resistence to Tejun, which means that the _system is working to prevent problems like this_.

But just because there is that one link doesn't mean jack shit if you compare it to the rest of the fucking kernel. God you people are retarded.

Shaming people who work for companies so that free software remains profitable and competitive is fucking disgusting. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Cunt.
>>
File: Alan_Cox.jpg (43KB, 300x352px) Image search: [Google]
Alan_Cox.jpg
43KB, 300x352px
bring back cox
>>
>>61530086
>>>"hurr durr OpenBSD is more secure"
>>detailed response explaining how that's bullshit
>"hurr durr why not fix it if your so smart"

Does it hurt being _that_ monumentally stupid? Are your arms getting tired from shifting all of those goalposts?
>>
>>61530068
SystemD has caused lots of changes in the kernel to support it, mostly around namespacing. And kdbus
>>
>>61526451
Red Hat shit would be anywhere near as widespread if Debian hasn't believed their promises and accepted it.
>>
>>61530130
Greg works with them actually.
>>
>minix
>hurd
>haikku
>>
>>61530185
>namespaces

They were added by the OpenVZ folks for OS virtualization (now called "containers"), systemd just uses them (and not very well).

I'm surprised you didn't say cgroups, since there actually _is_ a current link there (though it's not a very strong link, and maintainers are acting as anti-bodies as normal).

>kdbus

Oh, you mean the project that got so much hatred from the community that it was completely scrapped and all of the developers have decided to work on a much more generic IPC framework (bus1)?

It's almost like you only read article headlines from 2013 to make technical decisions. kdbus was never going to be merged, even though GregKH supported it. Linus effectively vito'd it from day 1, as did most of the other maintainers.
>>
>>61530221
Greg does, but if the abortion known as kdbus has shown us anything, just because Greg put his name on something doesn't mean it'll become part of core Linux.
>>
File: 1400904248351.jpg (199KB, 1172x742px) Image search: [Google]
1400904248351.jpg
199KB, 1172x742px
What do you guys even do on your computers that requires such high levels of security?
>>
Why would you use anything but FreeBSD?
>>
>>61530331
I prefer it when developers of an OS use that OS to develop it. Seems like a bit of a cop-out to use OS X to developer *BSD because the OS X experience is better.
>>
>>61530160
>detailed response

keep telling yourself that. singlehanded defeat of openbsd the post. millennial listicle mentality everyone.
>>
>>61526155
The Last Trigger
>>
>>61530298
well just think, normalfags pay for security on windows.
>>
>>61530298
It dosent matter why,its the fact that its insecure.
>>
>>61530298
deal drugs
>>
>>61530298
CONQUER THE SCENE, NIGGA
>>
>>61530160
could be as simple as not being on an actual botnet.
>>
>>61530659
This...
Have posted this many times before, but Vault 7 is a great way to scope out NetSec.
The OSes supported by the United States goverment hacking tools currently are
Windows, Mac OSX, Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD. IOS (Cisco, and apple) and MicroTiks custom router OS and they have all been comprimised, OpenBSD support as of early 2016 hasn't even been brought up to discussion by the goverments "Top" hackers...
>>
why dont we all just collab on something that's 100% foss updated or some shit
>>
>>61530772
put some effort into your post anon
>>
>>61530640
>we in your machine, conquering the scene
>>
>>61527461
TrueOS is garbage.

GhostBSD or plain FreeBSD is the only way to go if you are a desktop weenie.
>>
File: gnu-hurd-logo.jpg (88KB, 830x360px) Image search: [Google]
gnu-hurd-logo.jpg
88KB, 830x360px
>>61526155
I laugh at your face
>>
are their any communists in this thread?
>>
>>61531484
You mean GNU supporters?
>>
>>61530235
How come /g/ never talks about these?
>>
>>61531508
Maybe. Are they communists?
>>
>>61531243
>I laugh at your face
So you MACH it?
>>
>>61531525
I don't know. They all seem pretty cool in terms of how they're made, minix especially if you read the minix 3 book. Redox is also pretty interesting regardless of how you feel about rust, it's come a long way in a very short time span.
>>
>>61526155
what is debian putting in that you dont like?
>>
>dude just look at the source code lmoa
http://www.underhanded-c.org

Our only hope are languages that can prove what they're doing and guarantee safety. Like rust but unpozzed and not hideous to look at.
>>
>>61530160
>detailed response explaining anything
more like "i'm copying and pasting points in every thread and i have nothing to ever show for them"
>>
>>61526628
I keep hoping it'll gain some grounds sometime soon. It seems like a nice OS.
>>
>>61532283
>unless an argument is created brand-new and drawn from first principles it is clearly invalid

Do you ever wonder why people hate you IRL? That's why.
>>
>>61532394
>doesn't even address my second point
as expected from the autistic guy who just copies and pastes the same thing in every thread

i'll give you a challenge, send a message to the openbsd mailing list with all those claims you just made

hell, try to back them up yourself first and prove to me just how full of holes openbsd is, i'm sure the devs would be thankful
>>
>>61532421
I didn't write >>61528871. You're barking up the wrong tree.
>>
Can someone give me a quick rundown on gender politics?

Also, OpenBSD or FreeBSD and why?
>>
>>61533574
openbsd because they're not the kind who like to deal with gender politics
>>
>>61533577
But the main developer is a tranny fucker
>>
>>61534045
But that's wrong, you dumbass.
>>
s/infected/supported/
s/bloatware/features/
>>
>>61526155
> Linus
> dies
kek
>>
>>61526155
>TempleOS
Almost got me
Thread posts: 146
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.