[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

z80 or C

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: teh1lGp.gif (320KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
teh1lGp.gif
320KB, 320x288px
Is z80 a good program to learn coding on, or should I start with C?

My end goal is to make a game like Link's Awakening, and I already have some documention regarding how to code z80 in regards to making a gameboy game

I've tried many game making programs but action battles systems get too complicated

So you may ask then why would I try to code z80, well at the advice of another I should go all the way down the rabbit hole -- I'm okay if this takes years to learn

Any advice, /g/? Thank you very much and I do hope my post is not outside the etiquette
>>
I loved that game.

Use a C compiler for the Z80. Here's one;
http://www.bdsoft.com/resources/bdsc.html

Chances are that outside of this game, you won't be using Z80 again. If you find performance issues, rewrite parts of the code in ASM.
>>
>>61517939
If you can't sort yourself out with action battle systems in game making programs then you're going to have motivation issues learning asm.

Prototype the game you want to make with something like love2d and then move onto C->z80. You may think it's a waste of time but you'll learn a lot about coding from making even the shittiest games. If you're doing this to learn shit don't be worried about stealing sprites either, just rip all the link's awakening sprites so you have placeholders.
>>
>>61517939
z80 is a cpu, not a programming language. you could learn z80's assembly language but it would be a slow procces, i think you should program the z80 with c, that way you actuly know something useful at the end
>>
>>61518459
>>61518763
I don't think asm is hard to learn, it is really logical which is great. Compilers are good but some shit is better done yourself since low power cpus like the z80 or microcontrollers can suffer a lot with bad conversions. I don't think it would take years, maybe a month or two if it's your main project.

There are some good YouTube videos about gameboy programming too.

>program z80 with C
Probably the best way to go since asm is specific and non transferrable. Still is a good idea to have some understanding, it definitely changes your perspective on good/efficient programming.
>>
>>61517939
both c and z80 assembly are crap to learn programming
>>
>>61519675

C is great as a first programming language. Z80 on the other hand... probably not a good idea. In fact, I'd think it would be kind of silly to want to program gameboy games these days. Aside from it being a dead platform, it's an annoying one too. You have to constantly switch around which "bank" of the ROM is in memory at any given time. You have 64K of address space, but many games can go as high as 1 or 2 MB. Beyond this, only half of this can be used to store data from the ROM. The rest is either working memory or used for I/O. The first 16K of code is fixed in memory, so you can only swap out a single 16K block of memory with another 16K block of memory, and all of the code associated with doing that swapping is basically going to have to be in that first 16K block of memory.

It's ugly shit and you shouldn't do it unless you're really looking for a challenge. Not something a beginner should do.
>>
>>61520094
>C is great as a first programming language.
no. it's not abstraced enough from the underlaying machine, has missed +50 of plt, is the one of the shittiest PL at doing abstraction. someone who learned c missed a lot of fundamental concepts of programming (lambda expressions for example)
>>
>>61520120
we've reached /g/ meme full circle. thread's done, everyone out.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.