[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Linux is good for?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

If we put aside all the good things about license and free software is there any good reason to use GNU/Linux on desktop and server?
It's a no no for a normie - because no botnet and games.
For a developer it doesn't have enough tools (Python is ok. though).
On a server it's harder to use than BSD's...

So, am i wrong in some of statements and Linux is actually usable for something?
>>
>>61510376
Retrieving old shit
>>
>>61510376
>For a developer it doesn't have enough tools
Nigger what? POSIX and the GNU toolchain are the main reasons developers use Linux. Does Visual Studio even have full C++11/14 compliance? They've already flat-out refused to provide C11 support.
>On a server it's harder to use than BSD's
Maybe, but Red Hat offers something much more important: corporate SLAs.
>>
>>61510376
It's good for servers and super computers that have specific tasks

Otherwise it's a shit-tier OS for desktops if you intend to use it for work related applications or games.
>>
Here's everything I do on my computer
-browse internet
-move files around
-play dwarf fortress
Linux does it all
>>
>>61510376
>If we put aside all the good things about license and free software is there any good reason to use GNU/Linux on desktop and server?
Yes.
>It's a no no for a normie - because no botnet and games.
Wrong, the only reason you think that is because it comes preinstalled with most computers. Some distros like Linux Lite are even easier than Windows.
>For a developer it doesn't have enough tools (Python is ok. though).
Is this a joke or did I fall for a clever bait? The entire environment is developer friendly and just by getting familiar with system calls you learn more, than Windows and the tools are plentiful and more friendly to set and use than Windows.
>On a server it's harder to use than BSD's...
Get yourself Devuan netinstall.
>So, am i wrong in some of statements and Linux is actually usable for something?
Yes you are wrong, but I blame the lack of marketing from the Linux community.
>>
>>61510376
>for a developer it doesn't have enough tools

what world are you living in?

It's also good for security and for not being a fag in general

---
sent from my macbook pro (late 2016, 13")
>>
>>61510376
Security. It's open source (at least the majority of Linux distributions are), and we know there isn't some dodgy keylogger or other software sending off all of your personal informations. I would also say it's good for using tor with, but seeing as all nodes but 1000 of them are controlled by governments/the FBI, that's kind of useless unless you just want a free alternative to using a vpn on the clearweb.
>>
>>61510376
prob security

linux isn't as targeted as windows atm because of the small user base (that could change of course)
>>
>>61510376
>It's a no no for a normie - because no botnet and games.
it has games. its also actually easier to use than windows. theres no constant ads, updates, etc. its much more secure.

>For a developer it doesn't have enough tools (Python is ok. though).
yea thats just plain wrong

>On a server it's harder to use than BSD's...
i disagree, i find it easier

basically, you must be a troll, cuz everything you said is just blatantly lies
>>
>>61510376
Science. Can't do molecular simulations on microsoft.

Robotics. Most robots run ROS which runs on GNU/Linux.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.