[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 37

File: 1500721023360.png (100KB, 721x972px) Image search: [Google]
1500721023360.png
100KB, 721x972px
Previous thread: >>61482147

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
First for installing Xubuntu
>>
>>61503997
I meant Lubuntu.
>>
>>61503997
Is xubuntu the best flavour I liked ubuntu but I don't want to bother learning the soon to be dead unity environment
>>
File: 1490259394188.png (542KB, 811x710px) Image search: [Google]
1490259394188.png
542KB, 811x710px
>>61504143
>xubuntu
>unity
>>
>>61504143
gnome is the best
/thread
>>
Nth for MATE
>>
>>61504173
Probably gonna try using gnome for a few days from a flash drive and see if I like it
>>
File: usb_duck.png (149KB, 1015x680px) Image search: [Google]
usb_duck.png
149KB, 1015x680px
What are some cool terminal commands?
>>
>>61504286
man scrot
>>
File: hackers.gif (5KB, 293x107px) Image search: [Google]
hackers.gif
5KB, 293x107px
>>61504286
echo 'main(t){for(;++t>>16<3;)putchar(t*!!(t>>9&7|!(-t>>12&7))*(96+"#d|dOE3#dOE3dOE3"[t>>13&15])>>5);}'|gcc -xc - -o/tmp/a.out&&/tmp/a.out|aplay -q
>>
>>61504173
I always end up finding a bug or two in gnome that annoy the hell out of me. I'm just too lazy to switch to something else.

Just recently, waking up from suspend and logging in sometimes takes 20-30 seconds for some reason. Fucking annoying.
>>
Is there anyway to get iCloud working on ubuntu. Srs question
>>
https://pastebin.com/YabCLWSc
I've written a WebM maker script for 4chan, for laziness reasons but more importantly for learning purposes.
It works mostly as intended with one function not working completely as intended.
I can't get $OUT to contain ~ as it's counting as a literal, instead of a substitute.
Any workaround for this? Or improvements in general?
>>
maybe microsoft should just stop making AIs
https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsofts-chatbot-zo-is-not-a-fan-of-windows-10-prefers-linux
>>
>>61504703
I noticed some quirks and updated it.
Also gave the ability to change the bitrate if one so desires.
https://pastebin.com/i58wQyCf
Still have no idea how to do the thing with $OUT, though.
>>
>>61504941
is it not anything to do with doing a regex on the string and using substitution on ~ to escape it? or am i thinking on the wrong thing
>>
>>61504941
Dialog UIs are shit, just use optional parameters.
>>
>>61503976
How do I go about keeping EVERYTHING on my hdd from windows os to linux mint?
>>
>>61504941
use $HOME instead of ~
>>
>>61505015
linux can read windows filesystems, so when you boot into linux just use the windows partition for storing files that need to be used cross-platform.
>>
>>61503977
>>61503991

Those are TUI, not CLI.
>>
>>61505048
>linux can read windows filesystems, so when you boot into linux just use the windows partition for storing files that need to be used cross-platform.
So when i install mint, I partition the HDD to the highest volume? I am replacing windows with mint entirely
>>
>>61504703
Nice script. Some things to consider:
- Always quote variabled.
- Prefer lowercase variable names (uppercase should be preserved for env variables).
- Add a free license, so people can run, modify and share your script.
- == is a bashism, use = for /bin/sh scripts.
- Put temp files into /tmp/.
- Always read strings with -r.
-
>echo "1: Change resolution (vertical only, currently "$RES"; -1 means unchanged)"
Quoting "$RES" here will actually unquote it.
Leave it unquoted since the string itself is quoted already. Also consider switching to printf for better portability.
-
>$TITLE_$START-$END
Reminder that braces exist:
${TITLE}_${START}-${END}
This wount fail in situations when you want a result like:
${TITLE}x${START}-${END}
>>
>>61503976
>2017
>still not any friendly user linux with systemd removed
why live?
>>
>>61505096
https://devuan.org/
>>
>>61505065
oh right. if you're not duel booting you'll probably need some form of external backup to keep your files from.
>>
I haven't been on the Linux bandwagon since 2014

So, what's changed?
>>
i've made this script in perl recently to compare an expected checksum with the real one - looking for ways to improve it if you don't mind contributing. i feel there's a better way to do the 'hash detection' thing too, but i'm not too sure. any input is appreciated.
https://pastebin.com/aRsNHkum
>>
File: 1490637083943.jpg (229KB, 1349x902px) Image search: [Google]
1490637083943.jpg
229KB, 1349x902px
>>61505093
>- Add a free license, so people can run, modify and share your script.
>>
Hello chums,
I tried ripping a DVD with ffmpeg but the output file had faulty video and no audio at all. What could be a reason?
ffmpeg -i concat:"all.vob|swentinhere.vob" -acodec ac3 -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -crf 24 -threads 0 output.mkv
>>
File: leff.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
leff.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>61505116
>duel booting
>>
>>61505143
Microsoft, Red Hat and Canonical killed it.
>>
File: mutt.png (4KB, 564x340px) Image search: [Google]
mutt.png
4KB, 564x340px
Reposting form /sqt/ because it seems more appropriate here, even though it's only slightly Linux related
This is my login screen for mutt. What a nigga have to do to change the text color behind the cursor from black to white, or at least use the color I defined in .Xdefaults?
Any ncurses program that sets the background to black is a pain to navigate because of this but I have no idea what to change as I've never had to do it before on Linux. Currently on FreeBSD 11.
>>
I woke up this morning and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I walked over to my desk, opened up my laptop lid and pulled my laptop out of its screensaver. My torrents had finished, after breakfast i might have a fap over the h-games i just downloaded. I fired up google reader and checked slashdot, seems as if as though 2007 will be year of the Linux. I was bored so i played with my Compiz cube for a while. For breakfast i had leftovers of last night's pizza. For some reason the h-games don't work
>>
Gettings this issue when using mkincpio to gen a new kernel.Even using stock default settings returns with this error
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'default'
-> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 4.12.3-1
-> Running build hook: [base]
-> Running build hook: [udev]
-> Running build hook: [modconf]
-> Running build hook: [block]
-> Running build hook: [lvm2]
-> Running build hook: [filesystems]
-> Running build hook: [keyboard]
-> Running build hook: [encrypt]
-> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating uncompressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
error: command failed to execute correctly
>>
>>61505096

1. someone who needs "user friendly" certainly doesn't know what systemd is and why it's allegedly bad for them
2. you don't know what systemd is
3. you don't know why you're avoiding it apart from a few buzzphrases you memorized and that you parrot to reinforce your opinion
4. if you actually were a "poweruser" who doesn't "need" systemd, you'd know how to find said distributions and you wouldn't need a guide for retards
5. you do need such a guide, therefore you are a retard
>>
Is there a comprehensive guide for securely setting up and managing different services on a home server in 2017?
I want to know about things like these:
I'm running a few different services like syncthing, baikal, etherpad, apache/mysql etc. and all of them have to be managed(e.g. started, stopped) in a different way. How do I streamline these processes?
Do I create a new user for every service, set their login shell to /usr/bin/nologin and forget about them, or do I add my ssh key to each account in case I want to modify something without accidentally destroying something else?
>>
>>61505750
systemd should be the default for Mint and Linux Lite
the reason why they don't do it is because they are lazy and incompetent
>>
>>61505777

No sane person would use those retarded downstream distributions that contribute nothing worthwhile.
You can install Cinammon outside of Linux Mint.
>>
>>61505750
>retard
rude
>>
>>61505759
iptables
fail2ban
run nothing as root
dont give permissions when they arent needed(777)
>diferent ways to start/stop
They run with systemd or sysvinit scripts
Its all uniformly done
>new user
Yes
>ssh key
Only log in as your primary user(non root),there is no need to manage 50 ssh keys for mysql,apache etc etc
>>
File: 402551927.jpg (364KB, 1909x1431px) Image search: [Google]
402551927.jpg
364KB, 1909x1431px
I've been thinking of getting LCFS/RHCSA certified. I think I can do it in about 6 weeks worth of studying. Any tips on what to put extra attention to?
>>
>>61505807
tell me 1 good distro then
>>
>>61505957
Devuan
Alpine
Arch-OpenRC
>>
>>61505957

You're an idiot who can't think for himself and who has to have everything he does "g approved".
If you were a smart person you'd look at the handful of "core distributions" and then see what defines them (regarding the few defining features of a distribution) and then pick one which suits your demands the most.
But since you're an idiot, you just want to be spoonfed some retarded, subjective answer and then parrot that forever while feeling like you've achieved something. Chances are you won't even use the distribution for longer than a couple of hours a week, when you boot into your VM or partition of it, next to your Windows install just to type screenfetch and feel like a hacker.
>>
>>61504987
I wanted to use as much as possible that made sense to use (especially case).
But making a CLI version doesn't sound too bad.
Thanks, I'm going to do it later. It will be mostly copy pasted any way.
I assume, I can just use ${2..5} for the rest of parameters, just like I use $1 for $INPUT, can I not?

>>61504975
I'm doing something similar. I just replace the ~ with $HOME (in single quotes). Unless there's some quirk to it that I don't know about, I should be able to keep it that way.

>>61505093
>- Put temp files into /tmp/.
Don't know why I didn't think of it, but that's changed now. That way, I also don't really have to delete SUB.ass, though I still do.
>Quoting "$RES" here will actually unquote it.
>Leave it unquoted since the string itself is quoted already.
I thought, variables have to be quoted all the time, that's why I quoted them separately at least. But I changed it now. So, only quote variables if they aren't in a quoted string?
>Reminder that braces exist:
I did a workaround at first (in the first updated version) because I forgot about braces. I quoted each variable by its own. Changed it now to braces, though.
Thanks for the input!

Updated version: https://pastebin.com/3bKM4Br2
>>
File: dell_inspiron_600m.jpg (116KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
dell_inspiron_600m.jpg
116KB, 768x1024px
I've never done LFS or gentoo, but I wanna try it out on an old laptop to see what I can juice out of it. I need a non PAE distro with good optimization and control over what software I want on it. The machine has some old CPU from 2003 and 256mb of memory. I tried a ton of distributions, but they all kinda suck or are way too slow. I thought maybe LFS or gentoo would be reasonable. My two questions are:

1. Will gentoo be faster than most distros if I follow the normal installing guide and still be able to pick out good packages, or will I have to go to LFS to get a system that's going to truly juice the machine?

2. Compilation will probably take ages on the thing. Is it feasible to create this in virtualbox to get everything together faster and then throw it onto the laptop, or should I compile it all on the laptop from the get go?
>>
>>61505856
What if an application already comes with a unit file? Do I just override the 'user=' part with a .conf file in the corresponding unit.d directory?
>>
>>61506247

You won't notice any significant performance difference using the same software across distributions.
>>
How to copy paste in emacs, vim or nano? Whichever is simplest that's the editor I will use.
>>
>>61506247
chances are if all the distros so far have had bad performance gentoo / lfs will too. lfs won't do more than gentoo if all you want is performance. might be worth giving netBSD a try, or puppy linux??
you can make disk images of virtual machines from virtualbox, but the hardware is different so you'll be compiling for different targets...?

>>61506330
nano is the easiest out of all 3, but you won't regret learning how to use vim
>>
>>61506302
My concern is that the current software that's bundled with gentoo might be too fat and slow for this machine. Is that a reasonable concern? If it is, i'd go down the LFS path and pick out the lightest of lightweight software.

>>61506361
Currently using tahrpup and im actually impressed by its speed. What makes it so snappy? my only gripe is that it seems to locked down and im not sure how to get around that, not to mention all of the software in puppy linux's repository is extremely out dated. Is there any way I can trim off the ugly bits and make it my own?

>>61506361
>>61506302
My ultimate goal is to have a learning experince, this machine isnt anything im going to rely on.
>>
>>61504148
Learn to read
>>
>>61506407
>Is that a reasonable concern?
No, that's not how software works
>>
so just installed linux and my battery is not detected sometimes, any ideas ?
>>
>>61506481
So why is it that some distros like antiX and Bohdi linux are slow, whilst tahrpup is very snappy? I'm just trying to learn here.
>>
>>61506330
vim actually has a "mouse mode" that lets you click in the terminal to relocate the cursor like a graphical editor. You can also highlight stuff which activates the "visual selection mode" then you just press "y" (y for yank) to copy it and "p" to paste it.

Of course most people prefer to use it without the mouse mode. In which case you can just activate the visual selection with "v" (you can still use hotkeys to move around quickly while this mode is enabled) and "y" to copy it.

vim also copies things you delete, so you can just delete entire lines ("dd") and then paste them. One really cool thing about vim too is you can repeat functions many times by prefixing them with a number. So for instance you can delete 20 lines down by typing 20d↓

Also if you do go with vim you might want to consider using neovim instead. It's a more modern vim clone that's WAY faster. Things that might cause vim to hang doesn't in neovim. I've also used it in servers that were going really slowly and vim is almost unusable but neovim is still really responsive.
>>
>>61506528
>having to remember 50 keybinds to do basic text editing
Vim
Not even once
>>
>>61506528
Oh also another good thing to do instead of visual selection is you can mark a line. For instance to make a mark "x" you'd go to where you want and then type "mx" then you can go to another position and type "y'x" (note the apostrophe) to yank everything between the current position and the mark you made

>>61506552
"user friendly" to newcomers means not having to use your brain.
"user friendly" to the more experienced means powerful tools that let me do what I need.
Vim is the latter. Once you use it for a while and get a flow going you'd never want to go back to anything else, including graphical editors.
>>
>>61506606
>never want to go back to anything else
You're just plain wrong
>>
>>61506615
Good argument
>>
>>61506632
Stating facts dosent call for an argument
>>
File: 1477475333949.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1477475333949.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
>>61505972
>Alpine on the desktop
>>
>>61503976
Greetings, /g/entlemen, I have a bit of a conundrum.
I got a dual monitor setup, both 1080p 22", one on HDMI, other on VGA.
One screen only goes up to 1366x768, other is fine.
I got 970GTX, Running Ubuntu 16.04LTS, drivers are properly installed.
>>
>>61506708
Meaning?
>>
So I was programming a frontend for LUKS and I accidentally encrypted most of /etc so I guess the wisest thing to do is to re-install my system since my /home folder is another partitioon anyway so I don't lose any data.

What GNU/Linux distribution should I install? I prefer ease of use, simplicity and stability over fancy things and bleeding edge software.

I'm coming from Debian

Arch is no option because of the administrative work required and Gentoo is out of question because of my old hardware and connected compile times.

Ubuntu is cool but I don't want to be stereotyped as a Ubuntu user. Fedora is cool but 6 month release cycle is too fast.

I use XFCE btw
>>
File: 1495749039456.jpg (378KB, 2068x2200px) Image search: [Google]
1495749039456.jpg
378KB, 2068x2200px
>>61505997
shut up
>>
>>61503976
Torvalds/Linux*
>>
>>61506754
What are you using to adjust them?
>>
>>61506857
you forgot drudge report
>>
>>61506061
>So, only quote variables if they aren't in a quoted string?
That's the only exeption, since they are quoted already with the whole string.

Anyway, much better is using printf since you can format stuff in a sane way, for example:

printf 'Look mom, a random number: %d, a random floating number: %.10f and here a string: %s\n' "$((RANDOM))" "$((RANDOM))" "$(date)"

You see, it's just like C.

>>61506888
Stallmanix*
>>
>>61506913
DELET-___-
>>
Temple OS 64-bit with wifi support when?
>>
>>61506982
>Temple OS 64-bit
It already is
>>
>>61506987
It is not
>>
>>61506888
i have an idea: since the gnu system with linux added as kernel basically reimplements the old unix (everything is a file, piping things around, etc), but actually isn't unix, we could call it "gnu's not unix" or short: gnu
then again, we should give linus a share of credit for making the linux kernel and call it "gnu and linux" or gnu+linux
thoughts?
>>
File: 1498105964537.jpg (50KB, 725x291px) Image search: [Google]
1498105964537.jpg
50KB, 725x291px
good thread
>>
computer illiterate here, can I run a 64bit program in win on a 32bit system?
>>
>>61507112
wine*
>>
>>61507056
Agreed.
>>
>>61504476
Why do I never get any reply when I post this thing? ;_;
>>
>>61507132
ain't running that shit, nigga
>>
>>61507056
FreeBSD > GNU/Llinux
>>
File: 1495312724343.png (359KB, 1622x970px) Image search: [Google]
1495312724343.png
359KB, 1622x970px
>>61507161
come back when you have non-autistic rc system available out of box, kid.

PROTIP: rc.conf doesn't count and nobody mentioned systemd.
>>
>>61507161
Only if you're into cuckoldry
>>
>>61507153
It's save. It compiles a little C program which generates stuff that you can pipe to aplay; you will regonize the melody!
>>
>>61507112
How would that work? Magically?
You can't run 64bit programs on 32bit Windows either.
>>
>>61507201
The GNU should be wojak tb h.
>>
File: 1473620670010.gif (277KB, 270x200px) Image search: [Google]
1473620670010.gif
277KB, 270x200px
>sh: clera: not found
>sh: claer: not found
>sh: celar: not found
>>
>>61507244
I don't understand this post nor this image attachment.
>>
>>61507270
it means he cant type. He's attempting to use the 'clear' command
>>
>>61505048
LinuxMint is based off of Ubuntu and I'm pretty sure Ubuntu set up to be read only from NTFS style partitions, so you might want to make a small FAT partition for cross platform stuff or use a sync service like I do (I do work across computers and platforms)
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (28KB, 542x335px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
28KB, 542x335px
Try out linux they said, you don't have to reboot like windows after updates they said
Then why do i see this shit after almost every update?
What a joke this os is.
>>
>>61507308
>ubuntu
>>
>>61506528
>>61506606
Nice. Sounds simple enough. Neovim it is. Thanks.
>>
File: smgl_logo.jpg (8KB, 242x158px) Image search: [Google]
smgl_logo.jpg
8KB, 242x158px
>>61503976
Try this, is amazing
>>
>>61507308
>HURR I CAN'T LET IT WORK SO IT SUCKS BECAUSE I'M THE 1337 H4XX0R COMP SCI MASTER MIND AND IT DOESN'T WERK KYS LOONIX FAGTS
>>
>>61507270
I'm shitposting to confirm to myself that my posts are not invisible and the reason you guys never respond to my questions is that you are all gay for big gay dicks.
>>
>>61507340
Which question?
>>
>>61507308
Do you see it forcing you to restart anywhere?
>>
>>61507308
ubuntu isn't linux
it's windows with a different kernel
>>
File: 0.png (23KB, 746x326px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
23KB, 746x326px
>>61507352
There have been many, so here's a new one.

A) How?
B) Why does one lib depend on different versions of the same lib?
>>
>>61507415
>Why does one lib depend on different versions of the same lib?
some need .14, one needs .15, so overall you need .15, only, sice 14 is already covered in 15
>>
For people searching for new edges of autism: Program with: http://dotsies.org/
>>
>>61507308
good, when will your fuck off back to windows? we have enough retards here already.
>>
>>61507460
I get that, but I'm using 2.25.
That, and libSDL2-2.0.so.0, according to the output, requires both 2.14 and 2.15, which is surely nonsense?
>>
File: 1496112355267.jpg (86KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
1496112355267.jpg
86KB, 1024x512px
>>61507499
>impling windows is bad
>>
>>61507132
last time i ran something posted on /g/ i ended nuking /home, i had backups tho.
>>
>>61507500
I don't see you using it on that screenshot
>>
>>61507522
>>61507499
>windows
ntoskrnl.exe*
>>
>>61507533
look closer
>>
Anyone has experience with Arch-OpenRC, specifically switching from an existing systemd installation? Is it an hard process? Is it a clean process(no systemd leftovers and stuff like that)? Is it stable after it's done? Are there tangible(not philosophical) advandages over systemd?
>>
>>61506407

>bundled with gentoo
There is no "bundled" software.
Every distribution has a minimal installer, which lets you pick only the packages that you want.
>>
>>61506527

Because it uses certain "snappy" software. You can install that software on antiX, Bohdi Linux or whatever distribution you're using.
>>
>>61507660

What are its philosophical advantages over systemd?
Systemd is free software licensed under the GPL.
>>
>>61507660
>Arch-OpenRC
there's no such distro
>>
File: Confused Samus.png (48KB, 344x357px) Image search: [Google]
Confused Samus.png
48KB, 344x357px
I want to install a programm (Darktable) on Ubuntu 16.04. The problem is just that Ubuntu Software center is still stuck on 2.0.3 but development is already on 2.2.5. The website also says to download via Github but NOT the auto-generated tarball, and then provide a checksum. My question is: how do I do that?
I never compiled before.
Can anyone help me with that?
>>
>>61507775
not him but that's kinda vague, what snappy software does it use that other distros don't, other than jwm?
>>
>>61507842
>I never compiled before.
>Can anyone help me with that?

./configure
make -jN
make install

replace N with a number, equal to your cores+1
>>
>>61507842
unrelated advice, don't use software center, it looks pretty but it's slow and likes to crash. use either synaptic or the command line
>>
>>61507889
Good advice.
>>
>>61507161
OpenBSD > FreeBSD
>>
>>61507842
does it not give instructions on compilation in the readme?
>>
>>61507805
syatemdfree.org
>>
>>61507960
Can't find "Arch-OpenRC" here.
>>
>>61507951
there is a readme but it doesnt talk about installing. Ther eis something about "building" and it's with ./build.sh
>>
>>61507973
Of course you can't fins it here, this is 4chan, you silly.
>>
>>61507868

It's not vague. It's a fact.
I don't know what software it uses, but you can use it on any distribution. It has nothing to do with the distribution.
>>
>>61508129
I know that, but "snappy software" is indeed vague as it give no idea as to what it is about puppy that imparts speed
>>
Sometimes my Kubuntu laptop turns off during suspend. How can I debug that?
>>
So I entered exactly what the readme instructed to and this is the result
 '''bash
> mkdir build/
> cd build/
> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/darktable/ ..
> make
> sudo make install
> '''
bash: bash
mkdir build/
cd build/
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/darktable/ ..
make
sudo make install
: No such file or directory

Also, if I have a space in a filename or directory, how do I make that a valid input in the terminal?
>>
>>61508442
use escape sequences. such as:
/home/user/file\ with\ spaces\ in.txt
>>
im getting so MAD at this bloody laptop !!
i have a multiboot USB with Ubuntu MATE that boots fine in my older laptop, but I CANT BOOT FROM IT IN MY ASUS ULTRABOOK /more like ultrashit
i have no idea why it wont let me boot from the usb
tried disabling fast boot and chaning boot order to put the "UEFI" usb first, but didnt work.
please help, i really want to install ubuntu in this slow piss of crap !
any help is appreciated
>>
>>61508768
I unironically did read "MY ANUS"
>>
>>61508815
seconded
>>
>>61508442
run the commands individually instead of copy pasting
>if I have a space in a filename
type the first letters and hit TAB
>>
>>61508815
>>61508829
My anus is fine guys... the problem is the ASUS
any idea of the reason i cant boot from the USB?
>>
File: lern.jpg (27KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
lern.jpg
27KB, 800x400px
As the graph clearly shows, vim does have a steeper learning curve.
>>
>>61509193
wew thanks anon. got any data on emacs?
>>
>>61509228
Only comparing it to chinese arithmetic and diamonds in terms of hardness.
>>
>>61507161
>>61507931
(you) = cuck
>>
>>61507244
C^L
>>
Am I still banned?
>>
File: 1497599212795.png (28KB, 1027x731px) Image search: [Google]
1497599212795.png
28KB, 1027x731px
>>61510256
good work senpai ^_^!
>>
>>61504476
Happy?
>>
>>61510268
I think it was a range ban tee-bee-aytch

Anyway, it the Z:\ symlink in a wineprefix necessary? Can I get rid of it because it seems like it's a really bad joke.
>>
Just installed Gentoo in under an hour. Compiled the kernel in under 6 minutes. Sup faggots?

>yfw I'm using 6 year old hardware
>yfw you have no face
>>
>>61505253
Concatenation of files with same codecs:
create a file mylist.txt with all the files you want to have concatenated.

#This list is named mylist.txt
file '/path/to/file1'
file '/path/to/file2'
file '/path/to/file3'

ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i mylist.txt -c copy output
# -safe 0 is not required if the paths are relative.
>>
After firefox update my stylish css is all fucked, There are many white lines now without any changes to the css ... What do?
>>
Good evening everybody. I am here for a question. I am dissapointed that I've yet to see a desktop GUI that gives you an easy to access option to disable mouse acceleration. The acceleration must be disabled with obscure text files and such.
>How may I disable mouse acceleration completely in Ubuntu Mate 16.04 ?
Best regards
>>
>>61510302
>firejail
why so serious? it just plays a melody
>>
>>61510658
man xset
>>
Which is the best well-known, non-botnet, non-DIY, not bloated, with good repositories, customisable distro? I’m thinking about Debian, is it good?
>>
>>61510753

See >>61505997
>>
File: 20a.jpg (100KB, 1234x815px) Image search: [Google]
20a.jpg
100KB, 1234x815px
>>61510331
ain't seeing the proofs, kid.
>>
>>61510753
>non-botnet
Stop living in a fantasy world.
>>
>>61510787
Man that was a little rough

I just care about customisation and privacy and stuff. I do intend to become a Linux power user and I am trying to move away from Ubuntu because it’s bloated and I’ve heard rumours that it spys on you. I am intelligent enough to distinguish between a good answer fitting certain parameters and a /g/ meme. And yeah, typing screenfetch into the terminal does feel good.
>>
Just installed OpenSUSE in under an hour. Added the packman repo in under 6 minutes. Sup faggots?

>yfw I'm using 10 year old hardware
>yfw you have no face
>>
>>61510857

Every distribution can be customized the same, since it's the same software.
Every distribution has the same "privacy and stuff" because it's the same software.

>ubuntu is bloated
You don't know what bloat is.
You can install it from the minimal installer.
You are gullible and you just believe everything you read (about the spying) without informing yourself.
>>
>>61510901
Maybe it’s true, it’s rather hard to swallow though.
>>
>>61510857
>I am intelligent enough
sure thing sweetie
>>
>>61506330
I think the basics of vim are easy but really not intuitive so it requires you to learn it (for example you can play vimtutor). To copy something you press "v" to go into visual mode and then move your cursor around (using hjkl or arrows) until everything you want to copy is marked. Then you press "y" to yank the marked lines and then "p" to paste them.

I dunno how it works in Nano or Emacs (which is usually highly customized as well and as far as I understand it people only love it because of it's customization).All of them are fine but I prefer vim which is solely based on the fact that I haven't tried anything else. And like I said, it requires a bit of time investment (not a lot really) to learn it but it's nothing complicated.
>>
>>61510832
Stop spreading FUD.
>>
>>61510857
Install Debian. It comes entirly free, is the base for Ubuntu and has a large community.
>>
>>61506528
How does neovim compare to emacs in evil mode? I'm hearing good things about emacs in general (especially about evil mode).
>>
File: 1497257181353.png (575KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1497257181353.png
575KB, 600x600px
>>61511111
good post
>>
>>61507308
I've never seen that screen but I also don't use Ubuntu so what do I know. But does this really borther you? I mean restarting after updates isn't a bad thing, the bad thing in Windows case is forcing you to update right now and then forcing you to restart right at this moment.
>>
>>61510818
Don't need proofs. Anyone who's actually installed Gentoo knows that it's easy as shit when you actually read the documentation. Configuring gcc and emerge properly through make.conf and only including USE flags that you'll actually use (no pun intended) also allows for some super fast compile times.
>>
>>61510331
>Just installed Gentoo in under an hour.
impossible, or, with "installed Gentoo" you actually mean a boring tty
>>
File: 1472173507854.png (239KB, 3000x3062px) Image search: [Google]
1472173507854.png
239KB, 3000x3062px
>>61505170
>>
>>61511162
No idea, I don't use emacs.
>>
>>61511324 #
A tty may be boring for some (really it's not though), but indeed the entire operating system is installed at that point. Of course, X and a wm can be installed within a few minutes, but I'm working on configuring power management tools, cron, and syslog-nd first.
>>
>>61511521
>Of course, X and a wm can be installed within a few minutes
nice meme
>>
>>61511580
It can. The xorg-server package is the components for a minimally operational X server. A WM like i3 or bsp is also very small. It would literally take a couple minutes to merge both packages, compile the code, and install.
>>
>>61510859
>>>/b/
>>
is there anything lighter than thunderbird that is able to read caldav addresses to see/edit the calendar/tasks?
TUI would be preferred.
>>
File: minix.png (436KB, 1053x1009px) Image search: [Google]
minix.png
436KB, 1053x1009px
Install Minix.
>>
>>61511162
install vim
>>
>>61511806
What am I supposed to do there?
>>
>>61507874
./configure --help
>>
A bit of a newb here! just got Ubuntu MATE installed and I'm having some odd audio issues
>Sound comes from speakers AND headphones at the same time if i have headphones connected
>Built-in laptop microphone doesn't work at all
>battery icon shows that the battery is charging even when the charger is disconnected
its the ALSA audio driver AFAIK.
i think this laptop is pretty sketchy, its an Asus F540S but when i was installing ubuntu it was detected as "X540SA"
>>
Openbox and qBittorrent users:

when you have qbittorrent running and exit Openbox's session and then start it again, what happens to your qbittorrent? I still have a process running in the background that's unresponsive (can't bring it forward), so I have to kill it.
>>
>>61512169
Yes.
Its part of systemd being a peice of shit with user sessions
>>
>>61511847
That is what I'm currently using but I like to try different things to see what fits me best.
>>
>>61505695
Anyone?
>>
i installed debian 9 and now i can't log in
help
>>
I have debian 8 and can't get GCC to update. Besides completely updating my distro, is there a way to update it? apt-get install gcc only gives me the version I already have.
>>
>>61513028
Which is 5.9, I forgot to mention. I'm looking to make use of the new C++17 filesystem features.
>>
>>61513028
backports?
>>
>>61513126
Looks like it's just for drivers.
>>
>>61508890
I'm sorry but...what?
I didnt copy paste.
I just typed in the commands as was outlined by the readme
>>
File: gnu+wojak.png (42KB, 500x537px) Image search: [Google]
gnu+wojak.png
42KB, 500x537px
>>61507230
I did my best.
>>
hey, newfag here, not truly in the context but it's the closest i've seen

i have bash on windows but i can't get torify to work with wget to rip a website so i've installed ubuntu in a virtual machine, here's the question, can i use the commandline in the virtual machine to pass a file to windows

in other words, is it possible and how can i share a folder between a virtual machine and the actual machine
>>
Does fmt -u work for you?
>echo "You're gay. Seriously." | fmt -u
It should print two spaces after a sentence, but doesn't.
>>
>>61513688
Yes. Install a ssh server.
>>
>>61513574
fits much better
gnus always feel
tuxes just dgaf
>>
How do I into a sweet looking tiling wm? Everytime I see a config for one of those things or where to start, it feels overwhelming and a lil bit timewasting
>>
>>61513762
Install babbies first tiling wm i3. Easy to learn and works ootb.
>>
>>61513740
Run: fmt something.txt
Seems it doesn't work with pipes.
>>
>>61513742
thanks for the fast answer
>>
When I click my scroll wheel in and drag down it doesn't scroll fast like it does in other operating systems. How can I get this back?
>>
Is apparmor worth it?
>>
>>61513688
I think easiest way is samba, or, as the other anon said, an sftp server.
>>
>boot
>cmd login
>startx
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 59: xclock: command not found
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 62: exec: xterm: not found
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 61: exterm: command not found
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 60: exterm: command not found

No idea what this means? Fresh install.
>>
>>61514707
Put need to put some shit in your xinitrc.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#xinitrc
>>
>>61514707
Do you have any DE/WM installed? in that case check your .xinitrc

Of you don't have a de nor a wm, or if you don't setup yout xininit file, startx starts a session with a couple of xterm windows. Apparently you have neither an .xinitrc file, nor xterm, so startx can't do shit.
>>
>>61506899
The default nVidia config tool that comes with the drivers.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-22_23-14-41.png (141KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-22_23-14-41.png
141KB, 1024x600px
I'm trying Linux for the first time on an old Atom netbook with a whopping 8GB SSD

Really impressed with how much more responsive Xubuntu is than Win7 was on this machine but I was wondering, is there an easy way to install programs directly to an SD card instead of the tiny internal storage?
>>
Im having this problem with youtube-dl, it isnt working at all when I try to extract audio. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Signature extraction failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/youtube_dl/extractor/youtube.py", line 905, in _decrypt_signature
video_id, player_url, s
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/youtube_dl/extractor/youtube.py", line 797, in _extract_signature_function
raise ExtractorError('Cannot identify player %r' % player_url)
>>
>>61515656
You can mount shit anywhere.

Windows treats drives always separate like C:, D:, etc.
But on Linux you mount them as a part of the filesystem itself.

Usually for external storage you just create a unique little corner of the filesystem for them (like /mnt/, or /media/)
But another popular place to mount external drives is /home/ so everything that gets written to your home directory goes to the other drive and if you reinstall your OS you can keep it all.
You could also mount it to /boot or /bin or whatever. So just mount it wherever those programs are installed at and the rest of your system won't even know it's a different drive.

But for the record everything outside of /home is usually really small. I've had 5-8yr old systems that only got up to about 30GB, while all my other shit inside /home was hundreds of GB. That's another reason why most people put /home on external drives, it's not really worth it anywhere else.
>>
Does anyone use KFreeBSD? Is it suitable for an i3 desktop and C and Python development work in a vm?
>>
I have a server running ubuntu server with virtualbox for some VMs. I installed a new virtualbox update last night and now whenever I start my win7 or win10 VM it works for about 30seconds before filling my ram and then crashing. Ive looked through some logs but cant find anything other than OOM messages and killing the vbox task. What do?
>>
>>61512368

Why do you assume that?
It kills everything else and I have logind set to kill user processes.
>>
>>61515704
update youtube-dl
>>
>>61505106
lmao this shit is still on Jessie
Why use something that's literally got outdated software?
>>
>>61517946

Most people don't use it. They just like to mention that they have it installed every chance they get to feel edgy and progressive technology wise because they think it's obscure and makes them cool.
>>
>got a home "server" for me and the family with about 8 drives in it
>Samba them up and expose them to the family
>cding up and down and shit everywhere for even the most casual file transfers and management
>learn about symbolic links, never used them or took the time to understand them
>organize my entire shit, refactor the samba so it uses symbolic links to where things should go to make it easier on my family to know where they can find movies and where they can put backups
>on my end all I have to do is maintain symbolic links to keep things organized on the "backend"

Is there some definitive book or resource on shit like this that I can read when I'm on plane trips and on my downtime or something so I can mentally touch everything a typical linux distrib has to offer. I went too long without taking the time to dig into symbolic links/hard links and I'm probably missing out on like 12 other things

Also question: do symbolic links involve any significant overhead
>>
>>61517960
This.
Devuanfags just parrot shit they hear on /g/
>b-but muh unix philosophy
>le systemd is a big project and it's impossible to detect a backdoor therefore it has to have one
>tfw to woke to use systemshit
>>
>>61517946
Isn't devuan meant for desktops? Why would you use a stable release at all?
>>
File: unix.jpg (171KB, 500x652px) Image search: [Google]
unix.jpg
171KB, 500x652px
>>61518011
pic related has all the info you need

>>61518036
this is not even stable at this point, it's oldstable
tfw actual servers have a more up to date OS
just goes to show the lengths retards will go to in order to feel smarter
>>
>>61518057
My point was that no-one is using jessie devuan when there is ascii and ceres.
>>
Is /fglt/ dead?
>>
just installed arch linux and Im trying to run screenfetch but everytime I try it just prints
>zsh: command not found: screenfetch
???
>>
>>61519435
did you install screenfetch?
>>
File: 1lgr72.jpg (44KB, 378x453px) Image search: [Google]
1lgr72.jpg
44KB, 378x453px
Hey guys, if you're interested in buying a laptop, do NOT buy ASUS.
>might shut down instantly if you tilt the screen in a certain angle
>huge touchpad that you constantly touch while typing until you get used to a more uncomfortable angled hand position
>shit keyboard keys in independent "isles" per key
>built-in microphone barely usable while typing from the keystroke sounds
>very cheaple made

the one i have (Asus F540S) has some Linux specific problems that have been driving me nuts on Ubuntu MATE 16.04
>built-in mic not detected
>must change sound device manually in sound options when i plug in headphones
How can I fix these 2 issues ? The laptop was detected as "X540SA" instead of "F540S" too.
>>
>>61519435
We don't need any more evidence that even retards can install Arch
>>
Asked before but got no answer, might as well try again

I have a Radeon R9 390 currently installed, which unfortunately isn't supported by FreeBSD, but works wonderfully under Linux. I also have a spare PCIe and a couple of old Nvidia cards lying around.
If I throw one of these Nvidia cards in can I continue to use Linux with the 390 and have FreeBSD use the Nvidia with some xorg.conf.d fuckery?
I only have the one monitor, so I'm a little perturbed by how each OS is going to handle having both cards connected, but my instinct tells me whichever card gets enumerated first would be used before loading any drivers. On the mark or nah?

I've searched and searched for this but the only results I can find are form people wanting to use two different cards at the same time, whereas I'm wanting to use them completely separately.
>>
>>61519727
Blacklist the card you don't want?
>>
>>61519747
>blacklist
You know, I forgot all about that file. Thanks.
>>
>>61519727
There is also the "Device" section in xorg.conf for telling it which card to use
https://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.html#sect8
>>
>>61519837
This what I was intending on using. My concern is what happens before any drivers are loaded.
I think the only real option here is to try it out and find out.
>>
>>61519435
You need to install the package first.
>>
Hey guys! I've been messing around lately with bridges and interfaces in Debian as well with iptables, and I think I'm missing something because I'm putting up the bridge, the interfaces and stuff, but I'm getting no network. I think it has to be something iptables related, but I don't think I specifically need to fill my forward table to the specifics IP do I? I tested some things with Policy accept on it but nothing goes through it.

May I have a hand, please?
>>
>>61520042
Can't really help with that little information. What does ip link, ip addr and ip route say?
>>
What window managers hav a simpler keybind syntax than openbox?
>>
>>61520092
Do you want a full log or do you prefer some specific information?
>>
>>61520111
All of it!
>>
>>61505777
nice trips
>>
Why do the fonts look many times better in gnome on ubuntu than anything in Windows 10? I'm using it at this point just for the fonts, they're gorgeous. It never used to look this good a few years ago. Is it a certain program doing this or is it just gnome? It's even nicer than macos
>>
>>61520138
Okay so, I managed to get 2 cases.

One case, eth0 is as always, fully working before putting up the bridge, so eth0 has IP, etc etc etc. Then bridge comes up, everything goes the same but the bridge.

Second case is the same, but I ifdown'd eth0 so the bridge get the IP and stuff.

Both cases no network.
>>
>>61520262 (You)
Is hard to get a dump because if bridge is up I have no SSH but I can try if you want it.
>>
why is linus so rude http://www.networkworld.com/article/2186639/security/torvalds-to-bad-security-devs---kill-yourself-now-.html
>>
>>61520262
You are supposed to have the slave interface(s) UP but with no IP and have the IP and the bridge interface. If you are doing it in /etc/network/interfaces it will look something like:
iface eth0 inet manual
auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
bridge_ports eth0

If you are doing it manually:
ip link add br0 type bridge
ip link set dev eth0 up master br0
ip link set dev br0 up
dhclient br0
>>
>>61520300
He pretty much says it in the last quote from him. He likes mock/hyberbolicaly insulting people (which doesn't tnanslate well over a written medium) and refuses to censor himself ... "I can handle insults, why can't you?"
>>
>>61510753
I was gonna say Slackware until I saw you said non-DIY.
>>
>>61520300
OpenPEPE blown the fuck out
>>
>>61520305
I did something alike.

Starting out in the manually case, I went:

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
iconfig br0 up

In the other case, I had

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp

#===================
# And, later
#===================

allow-hotplug eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
>>
>>61520340
In the first case you haven't configured and IP, in the second case you have put an IP on eth0 and not set eth0 as slave, in the third case you haven't set eth0 to manual or added it to the bridge.
>>
>>61520436
Okay so I'm starting to understand. What would you recommend in this kind of cases to get working the bridge with eth0 and a few veth?
>>
>>61520453
Just do like the first code block here >>61520305
, without the three dots, and when you want to add a new interface to the bridge just do ip link set mydevname up master br0.
>>
>>61520497
So it won't work if I do the following?

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
iconfig br0 up
dhclient br0
>>
Opinions on mageia 6?
>>
>>61520529
It should, as long as eth0 is up. And if eth0 has an IP adress already things can get confusing.
>>
>>61520563
Okay, so, the issue that I'm trying to set up a bridge without IP adress, while eth0 is still up, right?
>>
>>61520300
Wait, there are schools that use OpenSuse?
>>
>Ubuntu Furry Remix
http://www.ufurmix.org/
>>
i just got a VPN service and linux is giving me problems. it has to do with DNS service. i can connect to the VPN server but the DNS is managed by Network-Manager on Linux. l am using Xubuntu 16.04 LTS.

i found this

https://github.com/masterkorp/openvpn-update-resolv-conf

and also this

https://github.com/jonathanio/update-systemd-resolved

the above solves my problems and allows me to connect to the VPN service's DNS server. but i still have the problem that my local DNS is showing up when i do the ipleaks test and also the DNS leak test.

https://ipleak.net/

https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

i wanted to know why is it that the fucking Network-Manager in linux does not allow openvpn to change the DNS server. i am using openvpn and giving it .ovpn config files provided by my service.

why is it that i have to run a fucking script by a third party just to get my DNS server to come from my VPN service? is this the fault of systemd? if it is i will have to look into dumping it.

also when i do run the script, my local DNS server info still leaks. what the fuck can i do about this.

also have up tried to confiuge VPN using the GUI tools that comes with Network-Manager-Openvpn-Gnome. it is absolute shit. why cant it just take the .ovpn file and fucking configure it self. i cannot fucking get it to work for me.

how is it that networking is so shitty and difficult on an OS so widely used by servers. i am thinkings this VPN shenanigans are intentional by the fucking NSA in collusion with Redhat or something. fukc this gay earth. if this shit keeps up i will have to write my own OS from scratch. and i am going to use Rust just to piss off the linux shills.
>>
>>61520753
install gentoo
>>
>>61520753
Just remove network manager. It only handles the simple cases and often manages to mess that up too.
>>
>>61520753
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: 1278944242156.jpg (53KB, 637x469px) Image search: [Google]
1278944242156.jpg
53KB, 637x469px
>>61520753
>i will have to write my own OS from scratch
>>
>>61520753
Why exatcly do you want to use the VPN's service DNS server?
>>
>>61520563
>>61520497
Ok so, I did what you guys said, I at least have network on the physical machine, but now I'm at starting point, which is that I think ipTables is doing something weird with the forwarding.

Right now br0 and eth0 has same stuff. Same IP, same MAC etc etc etc.

PD: I would like, if it is no bother, if I was right here >>61520574

Thanks guys, I'm understanding this quickly that I did this past days.
>>
>>61508768
The USB is likely not UEFI bootable. Go into the UEFI options and look for UEFI CSM. That will give you the legacy options you need.
>>
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/07/msg00004.html

94% of the packages in Debian are reproducible.

https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/reproducible.html

It's pretty cool seeing the Linux community come together for this.

https://reproducible-builds.org/who/
>>
>>61520968
So, what's the point?
>>
>>61520968
>the Linux community
>>
>>61520811
whne i remove the network manager my wifi dies. why does that happen ? do i have to replace network manager with some thing else ?

>>61520829
so that someone on the other side cannot tell my location. it is the whole point of having fucking VPN service. isnt it?
>>
>>61521053
Yeah, it's just a few people spanning upstream with patches to their build scripts to remove timestamps.
>>
>>61521109
If all your Internet traffic goes through the VPN, your DNS queries would go through the VPN, too. The VPN services' server probably just forwards to some public dns anyway.
>>
>>61521047
>Reproducible builds are a set of software development practices that create a verifiable path from human readable source code to the binary code used by computers.

>>61521053
What's wrong with that statement?
>>
>>61520860
Little bump, sorry to bother you anons, but I'm close to understand and finish the bridge set up.
>>
>>61519881
Well, it works, and as expected the first card the system finds is used for the output before any drivers are loaded.
I finally got X to start without error and load the nvidia driver, but the output doesn't switch from the AMD card when I startx. I'm left staring at the a TTY while X runs wherever the fuck.
So, how do I progress from this?

My "Device" section, if it matters.
Section "Device"                                                                
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
Screen 0
BusID "PCI:6:0:0"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection
>>
>>61521160
Yeah, it basically means you can make sure that your machine didn't put any bugs into the binary while compiling. Maybe useful to find CPU bugs.
>>
>>61521222
Not only that.

>What made the recent Volkswagen emissions scandal possible is software that has been designed to lie about its sensors in a lab environment. Having the source code under public scrutiny would have made adding such a misfeature only a little more difficult. Without reproducible builds, it is hard to confirm that the binary code installed in the car was actually made using the source code that has been verified.
>>
>>61521156
that is incorrect. it is not just about where my DNS treaffice goes to. it is also about whether someone else can tell my location by my DNS address. also the VPN service uses a DNS server from the same location as my VPN server IP. so that it changes based upon the country.

in any case, i should be able to control what DNS servers my computer touches. dont you thinkg.

i forced the netword manager to only use google DNS 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4. but now i cannot use my VPN at all. when i connect to the VPN service it establishes connection but will not return any DNS query at all. so the choice is between manually setting DNS of my choice and using the VPN service. that is a very shitty choice. just using the VPN service gives away my location because of DNS. and just using the manually set up google DNS gives away my location because of IP. there seems to be no other way without great research. fuck the ass holes who make things so difficult.
>>
Can you suggest me a compile time optimizer setup to actually run Gentoo?
>>
>>61521236
Nice, but Linux distros using reproducable builds won't allow you to check any proprietary software at all.
If you don't trust your distro to compile correctly, why would you trust their tools for reproducable builds?
Though yes, it could be useful to check 3rd party packages.
>>
>>61521239
>it is also about whether someone else can tell my location by my DNS address.
Your VPN service should do NAT, so they'd only see the VPNs IP in the queries.
>>
>>61521355
>Nice, but Linux distros using reproducable builds won't allow you to check any proprietary software at all.
Obviously...

>If you don't trust your distro to compile correctly, why would you trust their tools for reproducable builds?
The tools used to check for reproducible builds were very deliberately made distro-agnostic precisely for that reason. And the main problem isn't trust, it's someone comprising the build process of a distro or of a project. Trust but verify.

Though yes, it could be useful to check 3rd party packages.
Yes, not all software is compiled by your distro, especially with the rising popularity of flatpak/snap/appimage.
>>
>>61520753

>can't figure out one simple problem
>claims he'll write his own operating system
Sure thing buddy, sure you will.
>>
File: 1480436341516.jpg (51KB, 534x534px) Image search: [Google]
1480436341516.jpg
51KB, 534x534px
>>61521355
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
where/how to learn iptables?
or should I just use ufw
>>
>>61521395
that is not a solution for me. i cant tell them to change how they do things. all i can do is get another VPN and even then i do not know whether that will solve the problem. also i do not want to access my local DNS provided by my ISP. i do not want them knowing what sites i am visiting.

i was hoping to get a solution. telling my VPN to do NAT is not a solution for me. I do not want my fucking ISP knowing anything about my browsing. and i do not want anyone on the other end to know who i am either.

does someone know whether removing systemd will fix this or not? is this a problem with systemd or network-manager?? what can i use in place of network-manager, since removing it removes the wifi access on my machine.
>>
>>61521549
why is he so hairy?
>>
>>61521569
Can't you set your DNS servers on the router-level?
>>
File: 1479786378315.jpg (7KB, 200x266px) Image search: [Google]
1479786378315.jpg
7KB, 200x266px
>>61521585
He's the man.
>>
>>61521594
my router is provided by the ISP. even if i could i would not want them knowing such things.
>>
>>61521188
Wait.
If I disconnect the AMD GPU from my monitor, X switches outputs, but the display is offset and can't be adjusted manually using the monitor menu.
God damn what a fucking headache. I think at this point I'd be better off just selling my shit and using a card that works with both installs.
>>
>>61521569
If your VPN doesn't do NAT it's shit and not suitable for your purpose of hiding behind a VPN anyway.

Since you're not giving us any information how your network setup works, I can just guess and tell you to disable Network Manager (since it's shit) and DHCP, set up your IP static and run a local DNS Server which you can then configure to forward it's queries wherever you want.

>>61521611
They know you use a VPN anyway.
>>
File: Intredasting.jpg (18KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
Intredasting.jpg
18KB, 300x250px
Newbie here. I've heard battery life is crappy on a laptop if a Linux distro is installed on it, at least out of the box. How would I go about improving that once I decide to install it? Are there any packages worth mentioning for this?
>>
>>61521739
TLP
>>
>>61506851
openSUSE
>>
>>61521661
there are ways to hide that i use VPN. but even if they do know they cannot tell what sites i do to unless i access their DNS. i just checked the router/modem combo they provide and there is no way to set up a DNS of my own. they are assholes. also i am using BolehVPN which i intend to replace in a couple of weeks with either AirVPN or Mullvad. can you recommend me a good VPN. also i am not sure what NAT is. but i would think that a VPN servie like Boleh is running all the good shit. Boleh VPN is molded after AirVPn and provides almost the same features as them.
>>
>>61521751
I'll look into that. Thanks.
>>
Good news, source mage just got added to screenfetch, update and check it out. With it in both screenfetch and neofetch, you can now use source mage in screenfetch/neofetch threads or any other GNU/Linux threads.
>>
>>61521765
>there are ways to hide that i use VPN.
Your ISP still has to be able to route all those packets to your VPN access point. Even if you're not using an access point that is known to be a VPN access point and not use a commonly known VPN protocol like ESP it doesn't take a genius to figure out what you're doing if you send/receive a fuckton of random garbage from the same IP.
There is no way you could hide your VPN usage from you ISP if they really want to know it.

Setting up your DNS is such a general task unrelated to VPNs you should be able to find dozens of guides for it.
>>
>>61521831
>Good news
More like totally irrelevant news
>>
>>61521949
Source mage is newsworthy
>>
>>61521955
Screenfetch is not
>>
File: tuxpepe_smgl.png (27KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
tuxpepe_smgl.png
27KB, 602x500px
>>61521831
nice
>>
>>61521964
Well it previously wasn't in screenfetch or neofetch, making this news.
>>
>>61521831
>you can now use source mage in screenfetch/neofetch threads
those threads should be banned
>>
>>61519435
sudo pacman -S screenfetch

How the fuck did you even manage to install Arch and set up zsh without realizing this?
>>
>>61522019
copy & paste without understanding a single thing he did
>>
>>61522007
Why?

>>61522019
The arch linux version is from back in march
>>
Started using arch wanted to download virtualbox, i just installed the virtuabox and virtualbox-host-modules-arch packages and ran virtualbox from dmenu.Did i do something wrong?I didn't load any modules so i don't know.
>>
>>61521831
>tfw screenfetch -D SMGL actually works
nice

Screenfetch has always been great; it also supports lo/g/os.
>>
>>61521831
new we need to ask the fsf if they add it to their list
>>
>>61522034
>Why?
because they are just desktop threads in disguise and desktop threads are banned
>>
>>61522091
Wondering why those gay ass homescreen threads are still allowed then.
>>
>>61522091
Why are you sucking up to the mods?
>>
make new-thread -j1
>>
>>61522111
Why do you masturbate over desktop backgrounds?

Everyone has a hobby, just don't be surprised if people think you're weird for doing weird things.
>>
>>61522128
warning: >>61522200
>>
>>61520105
i3
bindsym Shift+x exec mpv gay_porn_playlist
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.