[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why would anyone use *BSD? Cons: >shit hardware support

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: serveimage(12).png (272KB, 1009x809px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(12).png
272KB, 1009x809px
Why would anyone use *BSD?

Cons:
>shit hardware support
>less free than GNU+Linux
>complicated to use
>lacks software

Pros:
>FreeBSD's beautiful logo
>pfsense
>>
>>61503197
>complicated to use
But it's the precise opposite. BSD, especially OpenBSD is far simpler.
>>
>>61503197
>Why would anyone use *BSD?
Because they want to.

>shit hardware support
OpenBSD supported my laptop better than Windows or Linux.
Quite the opposite.
>complicated to use
Not really.
>lacks software
Depends on what you need. Of course if it lacks software you use then you're not going to use it. Just because it lacks software you use doesn't mean it lacks software for others.
>>
>>61503197
Because fuck the meta
>>
>shit hardware support
Agreed, but it usually works fine in mainstream hardware
It's actually less restrictive, thus being more free
>complicated to use
It's a lot more sane and simpler than Linux in my opinion
>lacks software
Agreed
>>
>>61503197
what
>>
>>61503268
Freetards have redefined the word "free," in their fucked up definition having less freedom is somehow more free.
>>
>>61503268
More free for users, not corporations.
>>
>>61503284
As a user, I too would enjoy the freedom to release closed source software.
>>
>>61503215
Practically they are the same shit. pfsense is easy to setup, but that's all.

>>61503221
>OpenBSD supported my laptop better than Windows or Linux.
The OBSD that rely on 3rd party drivers, for example the broadscum driver came from DragonflyBSD? Yeah, sure. Let's fork less and don't give a shit about system updating for more than a decade. KARL and other shit don't justify it.

>>61503234
>being more free
There is a viewpoint, that notice licenses are less free. They are right too.

>It's a lot more sane and simpler than Linux in my opinion
See above. Also automounter. Trueos did some work on it for a reason.
>>61503276
Users freedom or developer freedom? They should be equal, but can't. Maybe in an ideal world.
>>
>>61503293
>The OBSD that rely on 3rd party drivers, for example the broadscum driver came from DragonflyBSD?
I don't give a shit who had the driver first.
>Users freedom or developer freedom? They should be equal, but can't
Sure they can.
>>
>>61503197
>GNU+Linux
I don't particularly like BSDs but you are just GNU/retarded
>>
>>61503293
No they aren't.
Compare installing Arch Linux or Gentoo to installing OpenBSD. It's night and day.
>>
>>61503293
>Practically they are the same shit. pfsense is easy to setup, but that's all.
You've clearly never installed OpenBSD, it's easy as fuck.
>>
>>61503330
>all linux installation needs chroot
Oh yeah... Even Slackware is more advanced with the ancient TUI shit.
>>61503342
Installed it, but here i wanted to point to the firewall setup. BTFO. Also used OBSD. Nothing special.
>>
>>61503215
ZFS and Jails (both main FreeBSD selling points) are very complicated to use.
>>
>>61504177
easy with freenas.
>>
>>61503197
Cons:
>no games
>>
>>61503197
I'll tell you why I use and respect *BSD (I also use all major OS for other things).. Back in the day when I was a youngster, I wanted to try everything out, every linux distro, dos, win nt whatever I could get my hands on. Another thing is I am a cunt to my technology. I like to do things that may fuck it up but I still expect it to work. Kinda like I dunno, running large number crunching operation like a bitcoin miner plus burning two CDs at once and playing a 3d game with wine at the same time. Let's see how the kernel holds up. Windows would just fuck up straight away. It's shit. Linux would have a hard time and yes I would fuck up the filesystem quite a lot (fsck is good on linux but I would rather things just don't get messed up).

When hammering a system BSD holds up. The only operating system I have found that holds up to abuse like this is OpenBSD. It's just unbelievable next level stuff. If you're just a "walk on eggshells", "ooh dooon't write files to the same directory i'm deleting from" guy because you are used to your shitty unstable OSs, then give some BSD a try and see what you can really do to a computer when its programmed right.
>>
Permissive licenses are inherently more liberating than copyleft licenses.
>>
>>61503197
OpenBSD runs great on ThinkPads.
>>
>>61503293
>The OBSD that rely on 3rd party drivers, for example the broadscum driver came from DragonflyBSD? Yeah, sure. Let's fork less and don't give a shit about system updating for more than a decade. KARL and other shit don't justify it.

That is the stupidest fucking argument I've seen all month. Hurr durr they used a working drive that they didn't write themselves.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.