[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 46

File: callisto_07.jpg (74KB, 600x735px) Image search: [Google]
callisto_07.jpg
74KB, 600x735px
Stupid Questions Thread.
Sometimes stupid questions get stupid answers.
Not kosher or halal.
>>
Is it possible to attach a virus/trojan/malware/ransomware to an .mp3 file or similar? I downloaded an album off of a filehosting site after specifically requesting it to be uploaded from a person, which makes me massively paranoid of their intentions.

I tried googling it, but got everything from "you're fine" to "UR COMP HAS AIDS LOL".
>>
What programs are better than VLC for viewing visual media?
>>
>>61499829
MPC (CCCP if codecs are still a problem) and MPV.
And almost everything.

>>61499823
Scan it with malwarebytes or upload it to virustotal.
Its clean? its safe.
>>
>>61499823
it was in the file itself, not attached to an actual mp3.
>>
>>61499829
I like MPC-HC.

https://mpc-hc.org/
>>
>>61499823
Maybe if you know what player someone was going to use and you knew some bugs in the decoder that let you execute code. haven't heard about any virus targeting media players though, apart from flash.
>>
>>61499844
Why is MPC the best?

Also, what are the problems with codecs?
>>
What browser use? I'm getting tire of Waterfox because is giving me some problems
>>
I'm running Firefox ESR under Void Linux and the rendering of resized pictures is fucking ass. This hadn't happened to me under Debian.

Do you think using the main release of Firefox or Nightly will fix this issue? I'd rather not, though.
>>
I'm downloading a file with Deluge and it's a pretty small file, like 400 megabytes or something, however it's downloading at about 300 KiB/s. I know it's better to throttle download speeds but is there any way to at least increase the speed some?
>>
File: 1500522925381.jpg (69KB, 692x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500522925381.jpg
69KB, 692x960px
Got a new roommate for uni and he says he wants me to use his xmpp address, (his username here)@memeware.net to email him

Dafuq is that
>>
>>61499844
>>61499847
>>61499852
Thanks for the replies. I've scanned the one song/file I wanted from the album, Virustotal said it was clean. The only other files in the .rar were an image in .png file and other MPEG 3 files. I should be clear, right?
>>
power inverter puzzle:
(all devices are new)
I have a small 12 volt battery running to a bestek 400w power inverter, using the included cables. I'm am trying to power a mini amplifier (drok audio tpa3116). alone, it will not power on but it does work if another device(headphone amp) is being powered

here is what I must to for it to power up:
reset everything
power adapter unplugged
power inverter off
amp off
second device off
plug everything in
power on inverter
power on secondary device (inverter has an audible change in load noise)
turn on amp
the amp runs fine
it is now safe to power off and unplug the second device
however, if I switch off the amp, I have to repeat the exact same cycle from step one.

this all started happening when I turned the amp up too high and made it auto shut down (it was not hot, I think it just has a low tolerance safety switch).

notes:
the amp still works fine when plugged into my outlets.
the inverter seems to power anything else I plug into it, just not the amp.

im going to replace everything one by one tomorrow to find the weak link, but I'm won erring if any of you might be able to figure it out before me.
>>
File: 1499719521081.png (349KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1499719521081.png
349KB, 500x374px
>>61499788
I got myself this baby and I want to program it.
What would be better to learn in order to do that: Verilog or VHDL?
>>
Which laptop would give me the best bang for the buck? I just started a new job where I sit in a basement office for 10 hours, so I need a mid level laptop for steam games. I have a gaming PC, so I'm not looking for a top of the line alien ware laptop. Any suggestions?
>>
>>61500115
look for an hp ultrabook. their high end models are good.
>>
>>61500115
Literally any laptop with a GPU.
Youre not looking for quality here if you want only to game.
>>
File: out.webm (705KB, 1152x720px) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
705KB, 1152x720px
>>61499788
Does this webm have presentable quality?
>>
What's the difference between a core and a thread? I never get an answer on google that makes any sense to me.
>>
>>61500092
From what I was told back in EE Verilog is more popular in the US, VHDL is more popular in Asia, I don't remember for Europe.
>>
Barebones image filter for this site?
I don't want any other feature really.
>>
>>61500207
A core is a physical package of microelectronics. A thread is a "train of thought" for that package. If a CPU has 4 physical packages and each package can be "thinking" about two different processes at the same time (it actually just switches back and forth between them really fast), we call that 4 cores/8 threads.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-30-16-15-05.png (123KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-30-16-15-05.png
123KB, 1280x800px
I'm trying to install some stuff from F-Droid on my tablet, but it's been throwing this error and I have no clue what it means or how to solve it.
F-Droid installs a long while ago worked just fine, and it also works fine in my other devices, it's just on this tablet that the error happens.
I can't find any info regarding an I\O error in F-Droid specifically either.

Anyone know what's going on?
>>
>>61500262
>it actually just switches back and forth between them really fast
Okay that clears it up then.
>>
>>61500004
>xmpp
It's IM without a big corporate interloper. Clients are easy to find. See jabber.org

>>61500274
Pull a lolcat
$ adb logcat
>>
>>61500364
>Pull a lolcat
>$ adb logcat
Should I feel stupid if I don't know what this is?
>>
>>61500014
>.png
RIP. You got stegoloaded, m8
>>
>>61500404
Yes.

Go install adb support on your computer, plug your tablet into the computer, issue the logcat command over adb and look at what your tablet answers.
>>
No matter what I do that's windows-related, my pc is showing a black screen after loading windows. The screen isn't DEAD, the backlight is on but it's just displaying black... as if it were displaying to another monitor. With the GPU unplugged and no extra monitors plugged in it still does this... Startup repair, the install itself, a windows install USB stick... all no dice, they load into the environment and then *poof* fucking black screen.

Does anybody know what I could do to remedy this? I've been trying to fix this fucking thing all day long and literally everything that I try results in that goddamn black screen after windows loads.
>>
I use teracopy but "undo" function doesn't work. How can I replace this function?
>>
>>61500438
Oh, also:
Windows + ctrl + B makes the backlight die and then come back on, exactly as if it were acting as an extra monitor.
>>
File: 1491439068836.png (90KB, 726x732px) Image search: [Google]
1491439068836.png
90KB, 726x732px
>>61500404
Nah, just means you're not a developer.
Sounds like you've got a hardware problem on your tablet. Maybe logcat will tell you what is happening in slightly more detail.
You need to perform some prep if you're not already a developer.
>>
>>61500438
Which Windows? This is important for being able to try shit.
>>
Is the surface 3 pro a good alternative to a think pad x2X0?
Will primarily be used for uni shit (cyber security)
I would like to install GNU/Linux onto it if possible
>>
>>61500474
Sorry. Windows 10.
>>
>>61500550
Once it's done booting, try Win-P, Down, Enter
>>
>>61500561
I've been messing around with win+p, now the BIOS + the "loading startup repair" windows appear on 2/3 monitors (when extras are connected)... Still no dice on getting image to appear on any monitors after windows has actually loaded.
>>
>>61500582
Well the next thing I would suspect is some kind of driver issue, so I'd try to get into Safe Mode. Unfortunately there aren't really reliable ways to do that in Win10 without being able to see what you're doing. You can try mashing F8 during boot. You could also try intentionally interrupting Windows booting by cutting power; after a few times, it goes into automatic repair mode which allows you to access Troubleshooting (and then Safe Mode is a special restart option).
>>
what's with the callisto threads?
>>
File: kms.jpg (86KB, 304x648px) Image search: [Google]
kms.jpg
86KB, 304x648px
I finally managed to install Windows 7 and now I'm stuck using my motherboard's one ps2 slot that will only read my ps2 keyboard, not the mouse. No USB drivers to read my USB mouse/keyboard and my motherboard's primary install route can't be done via keyboard. Somebody help me, I'm retarded and I've been struggling with this shit for a week.
>>
>>61500637
Automatic repair mode has the same black-screen-once-it's-loaded issue
It's like I'm in hell, literally every single viable recovery option isn't functional due to this goddamn issue. I'm pretty sure that I fucked up the MBR on my actual install due to all the restarting before I figured out it was probably a monitor issue.
>>
>>61500643
I think someone is trying to force a meme.
>>
>>61500653
Don't you have a keyboard with a numpad? Turn on Mouse Keys from the Accessibility settings. Numbers around the edge move the mouse, 5 to left click.
>>
>>61500660
Just to clarify: can you get into BIOS and scroll around all of the menus in there on at least one monitor?
>>
>>61500423
Please don't try to unnecessarily trigger my paranoia, anon. The .png was the second file I scanned. Turned up clean.
>>
File: 111108162635_86288.jpg (15KB, 212x480px) Image search: [Google]
111108162635_86288.jpg
15KB, 212x480px
So I have a high quality soundcard that I recently got and I notice on the desktop that sounds seem to cut off if there was no sound for a while.

This soundcard is connected to a 5.1 sourround sound reciever(even though my headphones are connected to the reciever) via digital Orange RCA jack(pic related)

Is there anyway to stop the sounds cutting off?
>>
>>61500740
Look for the sound card in your OS's device manager and check the settings for anything having to do with power saving or sleep modes. Make sure those are disabled. You might find similar settings under your OS's general power management. Look through the details to make sure that devices on your computer aren't turned off when idle.

If that doesn't do it, you should make sure it's not your receiver "going to sleep" before turning your scrutiny to the card itself.
>>
My laptop won't resume properly on Linux. All components turn on except the screen. Any help would be nice.
>>
>>61500702
Yep.
If I select a windows-related boot device, it shows the W10 logo, the spinning wheel, and then after the logo fades I get a black signal, same as if it was the non-primary monitor. This happens no matter how many or how few I have plugged in.
>>
>>61500770
Get windows.
>>
>>61500003
merge with a tracker with more peers
>>
>>61500770
Once it (mostly) resumes, hit Ctrl-Alt-F1. Then Ctrl-Alt-F7. Anything? (Note that I don't know if your laptop requires you to hold a Fn key to access the F-keys.)
>>
do routers "just work"?

my families on charter (ISP) and they're using a charter-rented router. paying 6 dollars a month. they want to just buy their own. will they have issues if they do this?
>>
File: X-Meridian-7.1-3-l.jpg (219KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
X-Meridian-7.1-3-l.jpg
219KB, 1280x1024px
>>61500769
Eh the card doesnt have sleep modes or whatever(its an old auzentech meredian 7.1 but its not like soundcards have changed much) but it also seems like my receiver doesn't have a settings menu(its from 2003 as well).
>>
>>61500771
And when it happens even without the GPU installed, the Win-P thing has no effect on the single monitor plugged into your mobo?

Which video connections do you have on your mobo, by the way?
>>
>>61500845
It's not that I'm saying the card would have a "sleep mode," but that your OS might be cutting power to inactive devices because of some power saving settings. That wouldn't depend on the device. It can even cut inactive USB buses.
>>
>>61500837
Yes. As long as you're talking just about the router and not the modem (the device which plugs directly into the wall via coax [cable modem] or phone line [DSL]), then you can use your own router freely.
>>
>>61500837
Router or modem?

If router, yes, just buy a cheap WRT54GL.
>>
>>61500849
Yep. The issue persists with and without the GPU installed. The absolutely infuriating part about this is that I was able to boot into recovery mode successfully a single time, and never since.

Video connections on the back are: HDMI, DVI, VGA, and DisplayPort
>>
>>61500992
I don't know if you tested it, but I'd find it hilarious if it's forever trying to display on mobo VGA just because it can.
>>
>>61500860
Well my os(windows 7) isnt doing that.

It also only happens for the digital inputs not analog.
>>
Getting started with electronics, here's the list of things to buy : breadboard, wires, led s , multimeter, pack of resistors and a wire cutter. Anything I'm missing?
>>
How do I make a live USB persistent? As in, if I install a program, I want the program to beer installed the next time I boot
>>
>>61501069
That's unsurprising. Just think about the difference between digital and analog signals. Having a device plugged into the digital output (which your computer would recognize) is going to make it susceptible to being either definitively on or definitively off. And that's where idle times come into play.

Look I mean you could try opening a sound file, setting your audio player to repeat and turning the volume down to zero. In theory nothing is measuring how much actual sound is coming from the component. All that matters is whether it's being used. Even at zero volume, the audio player will be using the device. Maybe that'll keep it active. Buys you some time until you have better ideas than snooping around for power settings.
>>
* to be installed.
Dammit autocorrect
>>
>>61501115
>>61501104
I meant
>>>/diy/
That board is for that kind of stuff.
/g/ is mostly dedicated to computers.
Also get an arduino and a soldering iron.
>>
>>61501120
You have to find and follow instructions for whichever environment it is you have on that live USB. It'll vary between bootloaders, OSes, etc. Google and patience are your friends.
>>
>>61501006
I'll test that now
Fucking weird news from the testbench:
Looks like it displays to the correct monitor when the drive with the fucked boot manager is disconnected /regardless of whether or not that is the drive being booted to/. This is a gigantic issue, since wangblows is failing to read the drive if it's plugged in after the system is already on.... I.E, I can't actually run repairs on it.
This is honestly the strangest computer-related issue that I've ever seen since I had a bios with a corrupted symbol table.
>>
>>61501124
Yeah im gonna keep looking. It only cuts off like once after the sound starts(such as spamming the volume bar button the first clock is cut off yet the rest are fine).
>>
>>61501129
Thanks, new here
>>
Anyone can recommend a cheap wifi enabled power strip that can control all the outlets independently and not likely to burn my house down? Would be nice if I can interact with it using Tasker for android as well (whether through a plugin or just sending the packet through send/expect is ok too)
>>
>>61501137
That's actually not too surprising to me. Windows is terrible about accommodating misbehaving secondary drives even if booting off of a perfectly healthy primary. That's why I try to do as much drive fixing as I can from Linux. It'll mount pretty much anything without complaint. (Giggity.)

Anyway I look forward to hearing if the bad install is at least putting out a consistent display on ANY port.
>>
>>61501230
Looks like it's no dice. No port on the back of the mobo outputs any video after windows has booted as long as the problem drive resides within the machine.

I suppose that absolute worst case, I could buy a SATA > USB cable and then run bootrec on that after hot swapping it but it looks like other than that I'm out of options unless I'm missing something. I'm a little surprised that the drives aren't hotswappable, I thought that most mobos supported hotswapping now.
>>
After building a PC what drivers am I supposed to download? I downloaded the GPU drivers but is there anything else?
>>
how do you guys that use bsd as a desktop os deal with external storage? do you use a file system that's cross platform?
>>
>>61501303
Many do, but I know mine was an opt-in setting in the BIOS. No clue why it's off by default but so it was. Maybe take one more deep peak through the available settings? While you're there, you might also look for the option to disable the CPU's integrated graphics. Lots of mobos support that, too. I have no idea if forcing the use of your video card might help this deranged drive get back on track but, hey, it's a possible thing we're missing.

Apart from that, you could try booting off of a Linux LiveUSB and seeing if the drive can be mounted in there. If so, there are non-Microsoft MBR utilities like
https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/
which can be prepared as bootable USBs.
>>
>>61501313
All of the drivers for your motherboard. Just punch its manufacturer and model number into Google. The support page will have a whole mess of stuff for you to download and install. It'll cover audio, USB, chipset management stuff, networking and probably half a dozen other garbage things from Intel/AMD and whatever. You can be smart about which ones you pick and choose. But yeah, motherboard.
>>
>>61501313
Sound, Ethernet/wireless, chipset and others.
Try 3DP Chip to see what needs to be updated (remember to dont install the adware the installer includes, uncheck the boxes).
>>
>>61501381
Okay thanks I will get on that then.
>>
>>61500816
Yeah nothing happens. Tried it on bunsenlabs and void. I'm going to try debian next.
>>
File: FKDC8TOH12SVEDU.MEDIUM.jpg (17KB, 370x320px) Image search: [Google]
FKDC8TOH12SVEDU.MEDIUM.jpg
17KB, 370x320px
Any idea what this noise is? It comes from a power supply. The psu is connected, but not turned on, in fact it doesn't even turn on when tried. The fan doesn't spin and when spun manually the sound doesn't change.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1eSgb4Jeyo7
>>
>>61500004
Your roommate is an evil csgo hacker and griefer, beware dude !!!!!
>>
>>61501410
Okay. The reason I suggested it is because X.org misbehaving with suspend/resume is SUPER FUCKING COMMON. It might not be something which you'll resolve just from distro hopping, but rather from looking deeper into and editing configs or some such shit. All I'm saying is that it sounds like you're running into a very common issue for which I offered one occasionally effective remedy.
>>
>>61499788
I ruined my monitor's power jack while trying to fix it (I asked about soldering it in the thread a day or two ago and botched the job)
I'm also pretty certain that I may have fried the monitor's main board, although I don't have any voltmeter to test this out.

I've managed to find a replacement main board online for only $20. Everything is the same on the replacement board, aside from it missing two HDMI ports. Would it still be compatible with my monitor?

Also, any ideas on how to power a main board without a power jack would be appreciated. I've already tried [spoiler]soldering an AC/DC adapter to the main board, which is probably what may have fried the thing, as it hasn't been responsive after that[/spoiler]
>>
>>61501437
The old engine putputputputput noises?
Something is shorting.
>>
>>61501437
Sounds like your PSU demon is fapping.

Seriously though, I have no idea and I wouldn't advise taking a closer look since we are in a thread for stupid questions. Doesn't seem like the right place to have people opening up PSUs.
>>
File: 0.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
>>61499788

What's a good USB 3.0 hub? I want one with at least one fast charging port.

Is getting a USB Type C expansion card a good idea at this time?
>>
>>61501475

Yes, that. If it's shorting shouldn't I be able to see sparks when it makes a noise?
>>
>>61500092
Verilog my dude.
>>
>>61501506
Not exactly, still dont use that PSU.
>>
File: hacking in progress.gif (4MB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
hacking in progress.gif
4MB, 356x200px
IIs it really worth it to get the CEE certification (certified ethical hacker) or should I just cut the bs and move right on to the CASP?
>>
>>61501452
Thanks anon. Seems to work with vanilla derbian so maybe it was the distro or some config files.
>>
>>61501556
>CEE
>certified ethical hacker
Don't get any certification from an organization which can't spell.
>>
>>61499823
Anon, it really depends on what mp3 codec your using. The mp3 file is not actually executed so to speak on your machine, it is interpreted by a codec.

What you need to do is find out what mp3 codec you are using and research vulnerabilities for that codec, and then you will have your answer.

If your running linux I can tell you that codecs dont execute with superuser privileges (unless you sudo your audio player) so the risk factor is very small.

If your using windows, then I wouldn't be surprised if you open a .txt file and your entire hard drive gets encrypted.
>>
>>61501485
if youre looking for a charging port you'll want a powered hub

anker and aukey are good brands
>>
>>61501575
ya, it really seemed like a meme cert to me too. I figured I should just upgrade my sec+ to CASP and forget about the CEE entirely unless if an employer wants it
>>
I use teracopy but "undo" function doesn't work. How can I replace this function?
>>
Should I install Docker on my linux desktop machine and run Nginx/MySQL inside it for my self hosted apps (local home wiki, etc) or is it overkill and not necessary?
>>
>>61501637
You have a local home wiki and you're worried about overkill.
>>
>>61501621
what the literal fug is 'teracopy'? literally just use rsync...
>google 'teracopy'
oh windows.

>>61501637
only if you have them actually connected to the www. if your just experimenting with them locally dont bother.

Also, if you are concerned about vulnerabilities I highly suggest you switch from nginx and use something like the java com.sun.net.httpserver library or the python basehttplibrary. For a small home network you dont need a load-balancing 10000+ thread http listener, python or java will handle small loads just fine and not have the vulnerabilities nginx does.
>>
File: ublockorigin.webm (2MB, 1264x672px) Image search: [Google]
ublockorigin.webm
2MB, 1264x672px
I don't understand Ublock Origin at all. Am I retarded?

I block an element that I don't want to see. I refresh the page, and the element is back. This feature does not seem to work correctly. Either that, or I'm incredibly thick and missing something.

Can anyone offer any insight into what I'm doing wrong?
>>
>>61501713
does col-md-x changes from 8?
>>
>>61501713

Works for me, I don't even have to block it. Maybe you have disabled cosmetic filters? Go to the blocklists tab in uBO settings to check that.
>>
>>61501743
Anyway if you are only using the stock filters add more since that box is not loading for me at all.
Or update them.
>>
>>61501713
What was the name of the game?
>>
>>61501743
It doesn't seem to change from page to page.

>>61501757
Huh, cosmetic filtering did appear to be off. I don't recall turning it off. Turning it on removed the box. Thanks for the help!
>>
>>61501713
roll back the 147[...]
>>
Are there any good windows Icon packs out there that aren't full of malware?
>>
>>61501811
>are there any good Windows (insert software here) that aren't full of malware?
no anon. no there is not.

I can't even recommend the Windows Ubuntu package because the entire Ubuntu distro is malware
>>
>>61501674
Really it's just for me and another person to connect to and use as a knowledge base. In the future I would like to allow one or two IP addresses access to the server from outside my home network but it isn't necessary right now.

I didn't even want to use Nginx, I was going to use Apache instead. As long as the web server supports PHP/MySQL for MediaWIki - that would be enough.
>>
Is it possible to embed malware in an icon (.ico) file? Or is it just a glorified jpeg?
>>
>>61501916
Well, if you are never going to really take it public, then it doesn't quite matter. As soon as you decide to throw it on public address space I suggest either a hardware firewall or
cd ~/htmlRootDirectory/
sudo python2 -m SimpleHTTPServer 80

use that if you dont want to code in python, its an already built http server included with python2 or you can build your own using the BaseHTTPServer library.

I literally just had someone hit my nginx web server with a zero day and trashed the server maybe about a month ago. I ended up coding my own server that runs on python which is damn near impossible to exploit compared to a c program.

also, with nginx/apache you trust a 20-100mb program you haven't taken the time to examine, or you can code your own in about 300-500 lines of code and put your faith in that. I would much rather choose the latter
>>
>>61501822
>entire Ubuntu distro is malware
Sounds like you have been scammed.
>>
>>61500496
Please answer!
>>
>>61501980
I just have common sense
>>
>>61500496
>cyber security
60 dollar used chromebook with seabios support
>>
>>61499788
can you stack external drives on top of each other?

is there any risks the magnets will get fucked or something similar?
>>
>>61501967
That's a pretty good argument. Not much point in using a pre-made set-and-forget solution if it is going to kill your server.
Do you handle SSL with your custom server?
>>
>>61501990
The case stops all the magnetism unless you are using fucking strong magnets.
Other than high temperatures, no.
>>
>>61502001
only slightly more complicated, but still very easy. requires you to make a new python program which adds a ssl wrapper around SimpleHTTPServer
#Sample-HTTPSListener.py
import BaseHTTPServer, SimpleHTTPServer
import ssl
httpd = BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer((''InsertIPHere', 443),
SimpleHTTPServer.SimpleHTTPRequestHandler)

httpd.socket = ssl.wrap_socket (httpd.socket,
keyfile="key.pem",
certfile='cert.pem', server_side=True)

httpd.serve_forever()
>>
File: 1491321796307.jpg (46KB, 350x443px) Image search: [Google]
1491321796307.jpg
46KB, 350x443px
half human/half computer cyborg here, just watched a movie in the cinema and I was wondering if it's legal to remember what I just saw since technically I copied it into memory
>>
>>61502073
>https://youtu.be/IFe9wiDfb0E
that video explains it all
>>
File: a normal person.jpg (10KB, 201x232px) Image search: [Google]
a normal person.jpg
10KB, 201x232px
>>61502073
delete
>>
im planning to install mint on my laptop
should i use default encryption option from installator or should i try this veracrypt people talk about?
>>
>>61502073
Your existence will be illegal until 2049, assuming the humans live that long.
>>
>>61502124
That's for window, which doesn't have anything better.
>>
>>61502124
Im not totally familiar with mint, but if its like every other linux it should use LUKS in which case, yes, use LUKS.
>>
>>61501967
I'll look into this, thanks
>>
>>61499788
>building pc
>PC assembled
>Lights Fans, CPU Fan, HDD all powered and working fine
>plug into display to load bios
>no display output??
what could be happening? i've removed the ram into different spots made sure i've plugged everything in properly pulled everything apart and put it back together? all googleds showed up is the bios could be set to an older version and it needs to be updated?
Would anyone have any suggestions?
>>
Ok my chair just broke I'm not fat I swear.
How should I feel about gayman chairs and should I buy one and if I should what brand?

Is this even the right board what the hell.
>>
>>61502146
1. Make sure the monitor is plugged into the GPU (not mobo) if you have one.

2. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
>>
>>61502219
I bought a MARKUS chair from Ikea over 5 years ago. It hasn't failed me and is pretty comfy to sit in, even for a tall guy. Excellent purchase for me, at least.
>>
>>61502219
gaymen chairs are rather shit

..but finding a good office chair made in god damn leather for the seat is so hard

that fabric seat shit makes me arse itch
>>
What are some ways I can use python to make my life easier?

I find the (((projects))) ie number decider and coin toss applications aren't as useful in my own life. Have any of you made anything you use on a daily basis?
>>
Can I run Windows 7 on a i5 6700k? I've read about scripts that disable the incompatible hardware warning. Using a dedicated graphics card in the build, if that makes a difference.
>>
>>61502219
How did it break? If it is just the piston thing then vice grips can fix that ;)
>>
File: 1411800182811.png (2MB, 10000x9441px) Image search: [Google]
1411800182811.png
2MB, 10000x9441px
I have not been following GPU's but is it a good time to upgrade?
I dont want to buy now and hear a new release is 2 months away.
>>
>>61502330
no
t. miner
>>
>>61502330
It's a bad time in that the amd mid tier's are hard to come by at decent prices. If you're going green it's alright.
>>
File: wonderfuldays.jpg (457KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wonderfuldays.jpg
457KB, 1920x1080px
>>61502343
>>61502344
Whens a better time to upgrade?
>>
>>61502449
Meh, if you need it, go for it. Waiting is a fools game.
>>
>>61502300
Fuck, meant 7600k
>>
I wanna add leds to my case.
And no,not gayming RGB leds but pure white leds to see inside my case without having to use a flashlight every time.

What kind of LEDs should i look for?
>>
>>61502449
Black friday.
Miners are ruining the prices.
Wait or bite the bullet.
>>
Will a t420 work with a rx 460 egpu on pe4c?
>>
Which URL shortener service provides the most information about visitors?
>>
>>61502343
>>61502624
I thought mining was no longer profitable unless you own a datacenter or something.
>>
Does the technology exist yet for two men to conceive a baby together? Or for a man to have this implanted and carry it to term?

If not then how long you think before this is possible?
>>
>>61499788
any considerations for security while using IRC?
>>
>>61502732
It isn't secure. Apart from from that, as long as you are not using an untested client, probs not.
>>
File: 1496382225086.png (388KB, 677x677px) Image search: [Google]
1496382225086.png
388KB, 677x677px
>>61500771
>>61500660
>>61500702
>>61500637
Am I taking fucking crazy pills?
Alright, so here's the rundown
>Enabled hotplug SATA
>Boot to windows recovery media
>blue screen, its loading
>Plug drive in
>Freezes on blue screen with nothing else instead of loading
>Unplug drive
>Loads instantly
>Launch CMD, run diskpart
>Plug in disk, list disk
>Never finishes listing disk
>Unplug drive
>It works again
>This is infinitely repeatable

oh my god, what the fuck happened to this drive? How is this even possible?
>>
File: 98198198161594.jpg (163KB, 1595x896px) Image search: [Google]
98198198161594.jpg
163KB, 1595x896px
What should the idle temps for a delidded 7700k with an aio be?
Mine is cooled with an X62, thermal grizzly kryonaut paste and fans in push/pull. Even with all c-states enabled I'm still seeing idle temps of 30-32c.
Just seems too high for .8 volts at idle.
>>
>>61502694
They're working on it, but it'll be a while. If all goes well then in 5-20 years any 2 people will be able to combine their genetic code.
>>
>>61502636

Did you use any, anons?
>>
>>61502856
Maybe they'll make some site like omegle where you can get your genes matched up with a random stranger and get a baby for laughs?
>>
>>61502909
I mean they COULD, but I think the big draw will be for same sex couples. Everyone else is just going to save up to edit the genes of their kids to look like movie stars and out think Einstein.
>>
I know being primarily a gamer is outlawed here, but I'm curious about something.
Would it be, for lack of a better term, more future proof to get into Ryzen? Currently on an i5 3570k at 4.5GHz 1.4v, it's about as fast as it can go without mad temperatures.

Something like a R7 1700, good B350/X370 motherboard, then upgrading further down the line to a Zen gen 3/4?
>>
how do I hide all posts from a certain flag, in boards with flags? I read once that there is an addon or a script but I forgot what was the name.
>>
What mail services are better in terms of security/privacy than gmail? Or should i create my own?
>>
http://sagorpirbd.deviantart.com/art/Windows-10-Themes-for-Win-7-Final-489257538
I just downloaded this theme, and applied the patch, but where the hell am I supposed to place the system files included? The readme doesn't say anything. I'm using 64 bit windows.
>>
>>61503355
Dollchan allows you to do that. It's Russian, but I've been using it since 2012 at least.
>>
>>61503519
Shell32 and explorerframe? In their respective folders inside of C:\Windows, don't mix up which is x86 and which is x64. For example, you have two Program File folders, one is called x86 and the other has nothing attached.
>If you're running a 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows, you will notice that there are two separate folders where your Program Files are kept: Program Files, which contains 64-bit programs and applications, and. Program Files (x86), which contains 32-bit programs and applications.
For explorerframe you only need to copy the 64-bit version over after renaming the original as .old. Shell32 if you want it to take effect for something like Firefox's 32-bit version filepicker you need the 32-bit shell32 copied over.
Do not confuse System32 and Syswow64. The first is actual 64-bit, the second is 32-bit.
>>
>>61503333
So far intel has a slight edge in gaming.
>>
File: dogshityahoo.png (18KB, 372x564px) Image search: [Google]
dogshityahoo.png
18KB, 372x564px
>be me
>first email? yahoo
>use it for school and any shits since
>suddenly smartphone,
>fucking google only use gmail and yahoo wont work on its damn app
>make gmail account
>fast forward 6 year
>rarely login to yahoo anymore
>and now this,jpg

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELPP

THOSE KIKES AT YAHOO HAS CLOSED MY ACCOUNT, AND ALL OF MY LOST THESIS AND SHEIITTT

is there a way to recover my everythin there, there is a nude of my ex which is 18 back then
>>
>>61503681
Yeah, I'm aware, but would it be better going for an i5 6600k/7600k, i7 6700k/7700k, or would Ryzen be the better choice because of the higher core count going into the future?
>>
>>61503700
Betting on high core count in games has always been a bad decision. Not that there hasn't been some improvement in that category, but I would bet very good money that AMD is never going to overtake intel at gaming that way.
>>
File: ngghm.png (92KB, 310x356px) Image search: [Google]
ngghm.png
92KB, 310x356px
>old-ass 8-year old laptop keeps dying on me
>battery doesn't charge anymore and need to be plugged in all the time
>damaged charging port randomly unplugs and ruins my workflow
thank God for system resume, but it's been doing it more often lately and I guess it's a sign I need something new

I work as a digital illustrator so something with a nice screen 15" would be nice
Also want it to last me at least a good 5 years so build quality is a must
Currently thinking of XPS15, and maybe HP Spectre and Yoga 720. Anything else to look at? Thoughts?
>>
>>61503753
reflow the solder on the charging port, or replace the connector if it's fucked
replace the cells in the battery
there, good as new
>>
Why do all batteries lose their ability to hold a charge over time? Surely it should be possible to make a battery that will never lose its ability to lose a charge, or even one that will gradually be able to hold more as you break it in.
>>
>>61503811
Because entropy. Systems degrade over time, and the more energy you put in, the faster this degradation happens. Specifically the cathode will wear out:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/how-to/a7432/why-your-gadgets-batteries-degrade-over-time-6705747/

There are all sorts of different chemistries you can use as batteries, and some of them hold max charge better than lithium-ion, but have other problems (chemically unstable, slow to charge, can't be mass-manufactured, uses rare/expensive compounds, et cetera).
>>
File: 1465849593835.png (802KB, 1098x766px) Image search: [Google]
1465849593835.png
802KB, 1098x766px
Is there an unbloated version of musicbee?
I like foobar but there's no way to save tracks in arbitrary categories without modifying the file.
>>
File: gitssac2_01.jpg (287KB, 1280x696px) Image search: [Google]
gitssac2_01.jpg
287KB, 1280x696px
>connect external HDD with another Ext HDD
>then connect one of the drives with the PC
>??

What will happen? Will both drives be visible/usable?
>>
My PSU died (I know its the PSU and not the mobo), anything I should know about buying a new one? Thinking about buying a 800w+ and upgrading my computer later.
>>
>>61503934
I used those before didn't like them. I have Clementine now. It's ok but I still haven't found a satisfying player. iTunes pre-2007 was goat..
>>
>>61504010
>Connect one dick with another dick, then connect one of the dicks to a pussy
>Are they both fucking the pussy?
>>
>>61504095
Depends how we're connecting those dicks.
Side by side? Docking?
>>
>>61504115
OP here. 1 is connected with Firewire 400 to teh other and the 2nd with USB 1 to the PC (old drives and I don't have firewire on the PC).
>>
>>61504010
If your enclosure has a USB in it means it is capable of acting as a hub. So both.
>>
>>61504152
You'd connect dicks with firewire?
Okay, if you're into that sorta thing, you do you, anon.
:^)
>>
File: wp.png (30KB, 1405x504px) Image search: [Google]
wp.png
30KB, 1405x504px
I've been put in charge of a wordpress website.
How do I get this text from the "edit page" textbox to appear on the page?
Is it something I have to add in the page.php?
>>
>>61504016
Don't buy cheap brands because it's the most dangerous part of your PC. And PSUs have an efficiency curve, if you're underutilizing it it'll be less efficient. So don't don't "futureproof" too much, besides, it seems a lot of GPUs and CPUs are going towards less power used for slightly more performance instead of more performance and more power used.
>>
I was transferring some files from my old computer to my current one. Since I have 2 SATA ports, it required me to unplug one of my current hard drives to connect the old one. The transfer worked flawlessly and I transferred the files to my main HDD which is the one with the windows installation.

The problem arose when I put back my old hard drive. My computer was stuck on the motherboard splash screen and promptly went to "BOOTMGR not found, press ctrl alt delete to restart". When I went to the boot manager, it only shows the auxiliary hard disk, and not the main one, even though the main one is the only one which remained unchanged.

What do I do?
>>
>>61503381
ProtonMail (my personal favorite)
Tutanota
Swissmail
>>
>>61503598
>The first is actual 64-bit, the second is 32-bit
That's really unintuitive but thanks, it worked
>>
File: micro.png (21KB, 1201x932px) Image search: [Google]
micro.png
21KB, 1201x932px
I changed motherboards and while trying to re active windows 10 for the new hardware it says it's unable to... any solutions?
>>
>>61504524
Call Microsoft.
>>
>>61502853
What is the water temperature?
What is the ambient temperature?
The CPU temp should be within 5'c of the water temp at idle, and the water temp should be only marginally warmer than ambient.
>>
>>61504394
Look up how to restore the MBR using a windows recovery drive.
>>
File: mutt.png (4KB, 564x340px) Image search: [Google]
mutt.png
4KB, 564x340px
This is my login screen for mutt. What a nigga have to do to change the text color behind the cursor from black to white, or at least use the color I defined in .Xdefaults?
Any ncurses program that sets the background to black is a pain to navigate because of this but I have no idea what to change as I've never had to do it before on Linux. Currently on FreeBSD 11.
>>
>>61504524
Pirate it, download MSToolkit from Mydigitallife forums.
>>
im recently insatalled a cell booster and am getting like 3.8MB down peak and about 2MB avg ping prolly around 120-70 (garbage for /g/ but blazing where i live) but i used to watch 1080p YT vids on a 700kbps landline, the ping near around 70, i cant watch YT vids at 720p without it stalling, wtf /g/? any possible solutions maybe?
>>
>>61499788
Next intel socket when?
I don't want a 1151 motherboard if it'll become un-upgradeable next year.
>>
File: 1493769005406.jpg (299KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1493769005406.jpg
299KB, 1400x1400px
>>61503800
I've already had it serviced twice and replaced the battery once. The colours on the display are pretty bad too, specifically they have lower saturation so I have to compensate for that when I'm painting so it shows properly on phones/modern screens
At this point I might as well just get something new
>>
>>61504877
Whatever is next from coffee lake.
>>
>>61504394
Unplug all SATA cables at both ends and reattach them.
>>
>>61504524
Microsoft automated activation hotline.
>>
I'm using SoftEther VPN to play Dragons Dogma Online, whenever I login to the game I must be connected to a Japanese server, every time I connect windows pops up telling me about a new network connection and if I want to share files. In the long run is there any down side to having loads of different network connections in Windows?
>>
File: 1478037461261.jpg (47KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1478037461261.jpg
47KB, 645x968px
What password manager does /g/ recommend?
ease of transfer between machines is a bonus
>>
>>61505230
I like keepass 2, though I've heard some people say keepass x or something is better.
>>
File: 22-07-2017 09-36-48.png (7KB, 498x54px) Image search: [Google]
22-07-2017 09-36-48.png
7KB, 498x54px
Is there some setting in MPC that is cutting off portions of my video files? I've been trying to watch chinese cartoons with my friend using syncplay (I'm on MPC and they are on VLC), but sometimes it will give me an error saying that the video durations are mismatched. Obviously we double check to make sure we're getting the same file and everything.
Even when I go to the properties of the video in MPC, it will give the correct duration like in the pic while still cutting off 7 seconds of video. The only solution to the problem is to switch over to VLC for that episode, where it will work fine.

I don't want to be sold on a different media player or anything. I really like MPC. Its just a pain in the ass to flip back and forth between players depending on whether or not I get the error.
>>
>>61505285
Thanks
>>
>>61505321
Are you using the same versions? They may have changed how to handle audio/video/sub length mismatches.
>>
Any recommendations on C++ "HTML templating engine" (or whatever the fuck their are called) like pug/jade? Something that allows a loop at least.
>>
How do I hide my IP address without spending money? I just want to torrent movies without consequence.
>>
>>61505435
Use a free VPN, which will sell your personal data. Or use TOR, which will slow your connection to a crawl. Or install a VPN on a computer that's not on your network, which is a crime probably.
In short, you can't. Only good VPNs are the ones that you pay for.
>>
Is there a comprehensive guide for securely setting up and managing different services on a home server in 2017?
I want to know about things like these:
I'm running a few different services like syncthing, baikal, etherpad, apache/mysql etc. and all of them have to be managed(e.g. started, stopped) in a different way. How do I streamline these processes?
Do I create a new user for every service, set their login shell to /usr/bin/nologin and forget about them, or do I add my ssh key to each account in case I want to modify something without accidentally destroying something else?
>>
Can someone recommend me a good wireless & lightweight headset? Under $100
>>
>>61505543
There aren't any. Especially for <$100 and wireless.
>>
>>61505411
Yeah same version of syncplay. Just checked. MPC does that to the video regardless of being run through the program or not though. It might just be a problem with the way the video is encoded or something. because it happens consistently for every episode in one series and only occasionally for others.
>>
>>61505587
Decent, wireless, and lightweight?
>>
>>61499118
Halp
>>
>>61505727
What exactly are you going to use it for? How good does the sound quality have to be? Are you going to wear it for long periods of time etc.?
If possible it's usually better to just get a decent mic and headphones for the same price.
>>
>>61505801
I don't like standalone microphones, I've had both back in the day, and I strongly prefer a headset combination.

Quality doesn't need to be the best, I plan to use this for video games, and I just need to be able to hear footsteps, no matter the quality of them.

Microphone is just for comms and callouts, not recording, or quality.

I would like to wear it for extended periods of times, which is why I need the lightweight feature, because my current Kraken will give me a headache after a few hours, and it's also wired so another draw back, because I do like to freely stand up, go to grab a drink, and be able to come back without interruption, or use the restroom, stuff like that.
>>
This has scam written all over it , can someone explain to me how the scam works?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DEAD-OR-ALIVE-Xtreme-3-Fortune-Chinese-English-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-/122611928971?hash=item1c8c3d8f8b:g:uuEAAOSwDtpZbYPF
>>
>>61505851
Adding on to that, features like a push button mute feature, for push to talk scenarios would be a great toggle to have. Volume control I could do without though.
>>
>>61499788
If I buy a new hard disk, should I format it before using it?
>>
>>61505851
logitech G930
Had mine for like 5 years
>>
Where would I find the tools that were leaked as mentioned here? https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/5355ga/hacker-dumps-ios-cracking-tools-allegedly-stolen-from-cellebrite

A family memeber locked themselves out of an older iphone and they forgot the password to get in, so I need something like to to help them get back into it.
>>
>>61505879
You have to format a disk before using it. If you mean should you shred it or whatever, why bother?
>>
>>61505889
I liked the reviews, but I compared the weight to my current headset, and from the numbers I could find, it appears to be heavier. :(
>>
>>61505949
Its a bit heavy but the cups and headband are really supportive.I have glasses too and i've never had any issues with the weight or ever had headaches
>>
>>61505681
Who said anything about syncplay?
>>
>>61505740
You use qBittorrent, don't you?
>>
>>61506059
Oh you meant the same versions of the video? We always get the same files from the same place at the same time. There shouldn't be any version differences, especially when its happening so consistently.

I can open the video in MPC and see one duration and then open it in VLC and get a different time thats usually 5-10 seconds longer.
>>
>>61505956
I have glasses and can't wear that one for more than one or two hours without it starting to hurt. The earpads are cheap shit and every time I switch the thing on it sends a deafening beep to everyone on the receiving end.
>>
File: 9be887e5818f73f7ee063e9097e1eb4a.jpg (166KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
9be887e5818f73f7ee063e9097e1eb4a.jpg
166KB, 1000x1000px
i just switched the battery in my xperia z2, how long should i leave it charging?
>>
So what's the proper way to manage/keep your backups up to date so when say if your doing a full system restore you don't gotta go back thru the freshly restored data to clean it up. In other words, say you replaced a season of some show with a better quality ver. The one contained in the backup is the older ver, so when you did the restore you now have two version of the same thing.
>>
want to switch from wifi to ethernet cable,problem is I need to pass a from the router/modem on the floor below.whats the best way to do this aesthetics wise?.dont want to have cables on the stairs or in the hallway
>>
>>61506139
>starting to hurt
What?
Do you have dumbo sized ears or some shit?
I mean the cups arent leather but they are very comfortable.I wear them all day 10-12 hours constantly.Maybe you're just a whiny lil bitch
>>
>>61506148
Wat

>>61506150
Get a snake and feed it through the power outlet down a room
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeePass

Why is this meant to be so good? Seems similar to Keychain Access on OSX?
>>
I will be explaining what I need and if you know of anything like it let me know.

I need a rar file or a file of some sorts. Specifically I need to put in a bitcoin address into this file and then put a "password" on it.

I do not want the file to actually require a password, only that the password box pops up. And whatever they put inside that password box, is what the password will be from then on out.

So it will look like a completely normal "put password here to open file" basically, except for that, whatever password they put inside that login form, becomes the password.

Basically I'll be saying "I can read your mind, think of your favourite animal and describe it"

Input: a black panther sitting in a tree

Input becomes password.

User says: "whoa how did you know a black panther sitting in a tree was my password?!?!"

Let me know! I got a couple (satoshis) so whoever helps me out, put your btc address in there and i'll send some over.
>>
>>61506071
Yeah, why? It's only seemed to happen to MKV files I've downloaded, but also to videos I downloaded months ago and removed the torrent already.
>>
Does W10 LTSB 2016 support Kaby Lake and Z200 motherboards from the start?
>>
>>61506174
is a snake a networking object or are you meming me
>>
>>61505424
Callisto's chin is gruesome, xena is big boned, gabby is alright.
>>
>>61506174
>>61506148
I think he means version management. I dunno. But me whenever I replace/update any thing substantial I just add a V2 at the end of the folder name. I delete the old version kept on the server but I still use the V2 so when/if I do a restore I won't have any folder/file conflicts. Now once restore is done I'll have to go thru it all and delete the old non V2 versions. Pain in the ass it'll be but it's hell of a lot easier than - Restore full system from backup, clean up restored files, do full backup again. Would take like a week to do since I've got like little over 8TB atm.
>>
>>61506130
THE
SAME
VERSION
OF
MPC-HC

>>61506199
qBittorrent is a buggy piece of shit that's known to delete files and then attempt to redownload them.
Use uTorrent 2.2.1. (when it asks if you want to update, hit "no.")
>>
What's the difference between OpenGL and Vulkan?
>>
>>61506277
OpenGL is abandonware
Vulkan is newer abandonware
>>
>>61506274
>uTorrent
Well, guess it's back to deluge for me theb
>>
>>61506185
It's foss, multiplatform, updated, and just works. Autotype is also useful, though I don't know if Keychain Access has that or not, I assume it does in some form.
>>
>>61506291
Deluge will also work. Just don't use Classic Mode unless you want your torrent client to be using 8% CPU util for no reason.
>>
>>61506253
>snake
Pic related
>>
File: title4-1200x520.jpg (105KB, 1200x520px) Image search: [Google]
title4-1200x520.jpg
105KB, 1200x520px
How do I stop this fucker from draining my phone when plugged in via USB? It keeps using the phone as a power source even though it has its own battery. lg v20
>>
>>61506274
>qBittorrent is a buggy piece of shit that's known to delete files and then attempt to redownload them.
[citation needed]
In the decade i've been using it,its never once done that
>>
>>61506274
I said in my first post that I'm on MPC and they are on VLC. If every fucking media player is going to have a different duration then what is the point of a program that syncs up videos between them?
>>
>>61505226
Bump
>>
>>61506336
Nobody cares. I was able to pick out his minority torrent client because it's a fucking known issue.
>>
>>61506413
>fucking known issue.
Unsolved bug report plz
Or
WONTFIX/CANTFX bug report.
>>
>>61506425
Nobody said anything about it being known to them.
>>
>>61506449
So for 11 years this has been an issue and out of millions of people who use it,it was never documented to the developers?

Highly unlikely
>>
>>61506455
Yet here we are.
>>
File: never_learn.png (465KB, 749x751px) Image search: [Google]
never_learn.png
465KB, 749x751px
/g/entoomen, where would be the best place to get a custom oversized mousepad delivered to the UK?

Thankyou
>>
>>61506336
>>61506455
It's done that to me also, but only on things I haven't finished downloading yet. They just disappear from the client entirely, and I usually don't even realize they're gone because I have like 800 torrents in it.
>>
I need to buy something for $11 on amazon to get free shipping, what do I buy?
>>
>>61506760
5 fidget spinners
>>
readelf -t a.out

format doesn't make sense; on my machine it prints the type twice, whereas specifying --wide prints everything as expected i.e. only once.

Does anyone have a clue wth I'm missing
>>
File: 71z02xVTzPL._SL1200_.jpg (128KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
71z02xVTzPL._SL1200_.jpg
128KB, 1200x1200px
Ok, a friend gave me his used Arctic Cooler 13 Limited Edition. It's perfectly fine but the thing is he lost one of the mounting hooks.
These things are like 2bucks, whereas the cooler costs around 50. Sadly Arctic doesn't has them on stock.
>https://www.arctic.ac/eu_de/amd-hooks-cpu-coolers.html
Already tried a local parts vendor, but neither have they. Any idea where I could score one of these rare things?
>>
>>61506869
eBay maybe?
>>
>>61506878
Thought so too, but no luck.
>>
Does someone have any experience with using bswpm in fedora 25/26?
How should a basic setup work?
>>
Should I buy an SSD?

Consider the following:

- I don't give a fuck about boot time
- I don't play video games
- I don't really do intensive tasks, just usual stuff and web developement
>>
File: 1432700253755.jpg (49KB, 499x480px) Image search: [Google]
1432700253755.jpg
49KB, 499x480px
I'm installing Windows 7 on a new computer, is there a way to streamline the update process while also avoiding telemetry/Windows 10 related updates?
>>
>>61507218
I don't think so. The best practice remains manually selecting which updates get downloaded and installed.
>>
>>61507023
>I don't care about the benefits of an SSD
Nope
>>
>>61507218
find out if nlite works with seven and integrate all the updates and shit you want into a personal windows iso?
>>
I know win7 optional updates are pozzed to shit. Are there any I really want outside of KB2852386?
>>
File: giphy.gif (952KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
952KB, 480x360px
It's 2017. Can I multitask or even play games while I full format an external HDD?
>>
>>61507218
Not that anon, but how can I disable all telemetry in Win10? I knew there were a few programs that did that for you. Can anyone link me to one of them?
>>
>>61507543
You probably could. It might take some resources away from you, so gaming might be less smooth, but the format should still work.
>>
How the fuck do I get the :make command to work right when working with editing latex files and building them with pdftex. I've put -interaction=nonstopmode just to get the errors but it doesn't let me jump to them in the quickfix menu and it opens up a new file over the one I was editing called 'make: *** [Makefile'.
>>
Best mail client for android?
>>
Right now I'm starting a CS degree in late Sept.

I love computers and I've been into them for the past 10+ years, and I was wondering whether there was a point in learning or perhaps even doing a Bachelor's in EE (3 years here, maybe even less since there are many classes that are shared between CS and EE) after doing a degree in CS/SE with a likely specialization in IT Sec.?
>>
>>61507218
http://pastebin.com/quC0gz4j

>>61507563
No way to disable all of it. You can cut back by running a tool like W10privacy.
>>
File: 1443899791895.jpg (164KB, 652x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1443899791895.jpg
164KB, 652x1000px
>>61507566
>>
>>61507765
it won't be quite as simple as you think since if it's a uni instead of a community college/trade school, it likely has a requirement for more credit hours than there are related courses. the idea is to make you a well rounded individual, that's not really the result though as colleges and universities in the states at least have become largely nothing more than liberal indoctrination centers
>>
>>61507521
The 0838 platform update is occasionally necessary for some shit to work. It was buggy when it first came out but it's solid now.
>>
>>61507023
Yes. Their primary use isn't games, and I don't give a fuck about boot times either. They just make your system way more responsive and smoother, and save you untold hours of your life, a second or two at a time. They're the difference between a computer that feels like it was made in the modern age, and something from 5 years ago.
>>
>>61507806
Well I'm not in the US.

This is my plan for now.

- 3 years for a Bachelor's in CS (SE specialisation) at a polytechnic/trade school
- Transfer to a uni because I can't get postgrad education with a polytechnic degree
- 2 years for a Master's in SE at a uni
- 1.5 year for a postgrad specialisation program in IT Sec at the same uni

Then I can get a Bachelor's in EE (Computer-related specialisation) at the polytechnic I first got my CS degree at in 3 years or less.
>>
File: shoop.png (486KB, 600x735px) Image search: [Google]
shoop.png
486KB, 600x735px
>>61499788
Is a Ryzen r5 1600 CPU good enough for encoding video and photoshop, or should I just buy the r7 1700?
>>
I'm buying a new tv. Haven't owned one in a decade really. How do I tell if a tv has a true 10bit panel?
>>
Sometimes my Kubuntu laptop turns off during suspend. How can I debug that?
>>
File: rj45.jpg (19KB, 851x214px) Image search: [Google]
rj45.jpg
19KB, 851x214px
>>61501811
VS2010ImageLibrary

>>61506150
Drill a hole in a corner - see pic related for the stuff to use, put a socket rj45 one on the wall for the floor and one for the room.
>>
What's a good email service other than Google or what so ever?

I want to separate my gaming and other stuff from my personal email. I heard Protonmail is okay.
>>
Hi /sqt/, I have a set of speakers (Microlab B-77) which have two RCA inputs on the back: one main and one marked "aux". I assume I can thus connect two devices to the speakers at the same time - however, there is no switch on the speakers to "choose" main or aux. Thus, I'm wondering could having two devices connected at the same time damage the speakers? If they both start playing will I hear both?
>>
I can't boot from USB on my Asus F540S.
What's wrong with it? anyone else had similar problems with Anus Ultrabooks ?
>>
Internet speed is fine for everything, browsing, downloads and so on, but I can't stream any video without half an hour of buffering, what do?
>>
>>61503683
If you ask to close your account they leave it open but locked until ECPA no longer applies.
Fuck Yahoo in the ass, twice.

>>61504095
It worked on Commodore.
>>
Is pacman -Syu the same as pacman -Syyuu?
>>
>>61508858
How are you making your USB bootable?

>>61508859
Check that youre not being throttled by your ISP.
What is your upload speed?
>>
>>61508972
YUMI
it worked fine in an older laptop
>>
>>61508992
Use Rufus.
>>
File: CPU.png (6KB, 435x107px) Image search: [Google]
CPU.png
6KB, 435x107px
>CPU reaches 80 C +.
Am I alright? I just made sure the Thermal paste isn't too thick and the cooler is fixed.
>>
>>61508972
Around 0.5mbps
>>
>>61509065
You only can stream at 360p tops.
You need 5Mbps to stream properly at 720p@60FPS.
>>
>>61509088
That's the quality of the streams I'm trying to watch, they are all SD.
>>
I graduated last year with a useless non-STEM major. I want to learn coding, and was told by my friend to install linux and learn on that over Windows. Is C++ a good language to build a foundation or should I look elsewhere?
>>
So I tried to deactivate the turbo modus of my 7700k (yea, jews) and it broke my startup and made piep noises. I had to take out the battery to reset the BIOS.
Is this a known issue?
>>
>>61509150
Watch? you said stream which means upload.
What is your download speed?
What sites are you having trouble with? Youtube?
>>
>>61509172
Stream does not mean upload. It can, but it can also mean to watch/listen to a media stream that you usually don't save.
>>
2Mbps, YT is fine but I use pirate streams to watch sports events and none of them have been working for the past couple of weeks (it was before).
>>
>>61509231
>>61509172
>>
>>61509155
Depends on your goals but I would say start with Python. It's got quite understandable syntax, has a lot of libraries available (i.e. Code for complicated tasks already written by others which your code can call to do stuff more easily/quickly) and a wide community and a huge amount of reference material online. Once you have a good understanding of Python you'll be in a better place to move on to learning something like C++, and you'll have a better appreciation for the differences between the languages. It's far easier to pick up programming languages once you understand one.
>>
>>61509250
Weird it should not happen.
Is this only in the same site or multiple sport streams in different sites?
>>
Is there a way to force a single windows update package to install on Windows 10 LTSB?

Normally this OS version doesn't get updates at all from what I can tell (Been using since April 2016 and I have installed none so far) and that's the point, but now there's a slight issue.

I use LTSB on my workstation because fuck the bloat and other shit in the other versions, plus all the extra control. The problem here is, I want to switch over my workstation to a Ryzen build, but there is sort of a critical Windows update that solves some serious scheduling issues with Ryzen, and it's bad if you don't have it. This isn't an issue for regular Windows 10 versions as that patch was released around the same week as Ryzen itself, but LTSB never got it.
>>
>>61509276
Any of them.
>>
>>61509283
LTSB gets updates, the whole point of LTSB is that it will get updated till windows 10 is not supported anymore.
You might have the update service off or disabled it trough group policy editor.

Also:
"Finally, we have reviewed the limited available evidence concerning performance deltas between Windows® 7 and Windows® 10 on the AMD Ryzen™ CPU. We do not believe there is an issue with scheduling differences between the two versions of Windows.  Any differences in performance can be more likely attributed to software architecture differences between these OSes."
>>
>>61509350
Woops, meant to quote that not put code brackets.
>>
>>61509350

Oh, fantastic. Thank you, I only read about this months ago and have been pushing off an upgrade to Ryzen from my 4790k since then because I thought I'd have issues.
>>
File: 1390942303271.jpg (18KB, 244x255px) Image search: [Google]
1390942303271.jpg
18KB, 244x255px
>>61499788
Where can I buy a domain that I won't be accessible by whois? Do I have to fill out the ICANN registration? Can I lie on it?
>>
the right most cells are hours, I want to combine any cells that have the same date so I have cumulative hours for one day, how do?
>>
>>61499788
how do I install src.rpms? yum install doesn't work
[spoiler]I'm a linux newfag desu[/spoiler]
>>
>>61509599
>>>/g/fglt
>>
My television doesn't support increasing volume on the audio out port, so the sound coming through headphones I have connected are a bit low. Would I just need an amplifier to correct this?
>>
in c++ you can use references to arrays like pointers so I'm trying to access different parts of the array, which is a new structure I made, using
myarray -> member
this just gives me the first index in the array
what's the syntax for accessing other parts?
>>
>>61509821
Post your code I don't know what the fuck you're on about
>>
>>61509785
but /g/ is a linux board and this is a stupid question
>>
>>61509879
/sqt/ is mostly for Windows questions and people who fucked up their PC, /fglt/ is for Linux questions.
>>
>>61509271
Thanks. I heard that I shouldn't go back to school for CS. Is this true? If I work at this everyday, how long til I become ready?

I hear coding boot camps are a good way to learn. I am thinking of doing one of those after I get a few projects under my belt.
>>
Dear Androidfags,

I have quit using facebook a long time ago but I am considering getting their Messenger app to contact a friend who solely uses facebook. How much am I going to screw myself over by doing so?

t. me
>>
you know how you can switch tabs in chrome through control + 1/2/3/4/, etc?

i can't switch to tab 1 by pressing control + 1 but i can switch to other tabs like usual. never had this issue before. anyone know a solution?
>>
What are some data recovery tools for USBs and SD/MicroSD cards?
I dont have need for it right now, just wondering what exists for it.
>>
How do I filter a word anywhere in a post on 4chanX
I can't seem to get it right
>>
How would you print a float/double in C++?
cout won't do it and I want it to be in the format (x.xx, y.yy, z.zz).
>>
>>61510822
learn regex regexr.com
>>
>>61511011
int main()
{
std::cout << 1.23;
}

cout works for me senpai
>>
>>61511011
std::cout << "(" << x ", " << y << ", " << z << ")" << std::endl;
>>
>>61511011
why won't cout do it?
can you just use printf?
something like
printf("%0.2f, %0.2f, %0.2f\n", x, y, z);
>>
made a new thread, we're on page 9
>>61511128
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.