[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some ways with which a USB HID device can determine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: driveby.jpg (88KB, 720x395px) Image search: [Google]
driveby.jpg
88KB, 720x395px
What are some ways with which a USB HID device can determine the OS type of the host computer without requiring additional drivers?

USB-HID is platform agnostic but surely there must be some differences in the order or rate of USB packets that you can use to fingerprint the OS?
>>
they are one way transmissions

theres no reason for windows to send anything to the device
>>
>>61471180
>they are one way transmissions
What about capslock/numlock lights on keyboards?
And actuators on gamepads?
>>
>>61471426
you press the capslock on the keyboard to turn on the capslock light, moron.
>>
>>61471485
The OS sets it, not the hardware. Helps a great deal with KVMs desu. You can even blink them, try "xset -led 2 on"

USB is two way, but the HID layer is pretty much one way, though not entirely. Now identifying the OS is something I never attempted, but you may jsut get this information, some devices can load different HIDs depending on who's asking. But we're talking relatively undocumented stuff, despite being used extensively by hardware manufacturers.

I'd recommend eavesdropping a Microsoft peripheral, just to see if the exchange is the same with different versions of Windows, and other OSes.
>>
i suppose you could masquerade as a bunch of devices which normally get some automatic feedback, which are supported by default in various operating systems, and then compare which feedback you get to guess which OS it was
for example, lets say you test two 'devices', xp supports neither, 7 supports one, and 10 supports both
if you get no responses, it might be xp, if you get one, it might be 7, and if you get both, it might be 10
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.