[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

another what language should I learn thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: ice-003.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ice-003.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
Hey guys, I'm almost 40, when I was 10-15 I used to code easy stuff in basic and C so I kinda remember something of how to code. I even toyed with assembler back in the dos days. Now I'd like to program simple production management interfaces, like for keeping a warehouse, dealing with orders and such, and I've done a good job making something with Excel, but I'd need a user friendly interface for someone else to be able to use it. Back in the day I started using visual basic; that would be great now: it had a lot of tools to easily build a graphic interface. Does something like that, hopefully more advanced, exist now? Obviously I don't want to spend money on software, something opensource would be nice.
>>
>>61470479
You could read a book.

A book on a language.

A book on any goddamn language.

A book on any goddamn language with APIs.

Wait, you're being lazy, so why not sign up for some website that slowly feeds you confidence pills
>>
>>61470479
I think that PHP suits you. You can sonewhat do a reasonable frontend and add databases to the project and keep the data there.
>>
>>61470497
Uhm... Dude that's exactly what I intend to do, it wouldn't be the first book I read for learning to code, what I'm asking here is what to study, not for you to teach me. Since I'm not going to do it to become a pro but to aid with my job I'd like something easy, quick and straightforward, like visual basic was.
>>
>>61470516
Thanks, php sounds good I'll have a look. How about ruby? I keep hearing good things about how simple it is
>>
>>61470479
People will tell you to learn dumb things like C, but here is the truth:

You should learn most if not all of these, though it depends on what you want to do.

Learn a shell language (Bash and PowerShell are both great to know)

JavaScript
C#/Java (preferably C# because .NET Core will run Java out within the decade)
Database (Know SQL and NoSQL DBs [MongoDB, etc.]), but you really don't need to be excellent at this..there are DBAs that do this job correctly.

Once that is done you will be golden.
>>
>>61470642
I don't know much about Ruby and I can't suggest it like that. By slecting a language, I would watch the demand of programmers at the moment.
>>
>>61470725
I already have a job, in a different field, I just want to make a program that keeps my inventory and stuff that other people in my firm can use
>>
>>61470479
>Now I'd like to program simple production management interfaces, like for keeping a warehouse, dealing with orders and such
Most new software of this kind is written with web interfaces. so either you need to learn javascript for the frontend and a different language for the backend or get into node.js development.
C is generally not relevant for web and enterprise application development.
>>
>>61470479
web development is goat
learn js and basic html/css + whatever server side language
this way you can even build multiplatform uis using electron
I 'm not sure there are ui tools for interface building purposes but web is easy so you should be good

If you want to stick with heavy client dev check graphic c libraries like qt
>>
>>61470771
you probably shouldn't make your own stuff for this
what you need is an erp, either spend license moneys and hire consulting firm to set something up for you or spend resources to learn how to install an opensource solution yourself
try dolibarr for example
>>
>>61470642
Your warehouse management idea sounds like a really basic CRUD web application.

Ruby on Rails is still king when it comes to easily creating this kind of stuff. PHP is an outdated mess, and Node.js would be the hard way to do it.

Learn Ruby, which is a great and useful language even without Rails. Then look up some Rails guides (the official guides and Hartl are good places to start).
>>
>>61471563
Thx, I did that and the results are horrid. What I don't like the most is that I can't change anything without spending money and waiting ages...
>>
>>61471600
Makes sense, thanks!
>>
>>61472506
what do you mean ?
you tried dolibarr and it sucks ?
>>
>>61472542
No, I hired people to make a custom crafted system and it's horrid. Kinda works but I can't change what I'd like to
>>
>>61474486
ok
try a generic solution then
stock management isn't a new problem and making new custom software is usually harder than configuring old complex solutions
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.