[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unrealcucks will defend this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: 7e04271351c19e6c11f94acdde01ec82.png (146KB, 1184x874px) Image search: [Google]
7e04271351c19e6c11f94acdde01ec82.png
146KB, 1184x874px
Unrealcucks will defend this
>>
>>61468775
The engine is open source so you're free to fork and fix it.

Or better yet, you can just go and submit a pull request that fixes this.
>>
Why doesn't anyone make their own engine anymore? No wonder games all look the same, feel the same, etc.
>>
didn't unity have shader support from the get go? Why are you script kiddying a game anyways? also, >>/v/
>>
>>61468789
Time to develop one is way longer than it used to be because of how complex things have become. You can't just code an engine in a few months like in Doom days.
>>
>>61468789
>Why doesn't anyone make their own engine anymore?
They do but usually it's not mentioned anywhere. And it's kind of bad to make your engine because most of the time they don't bother making it cross platform.
There exists multiple cross platform and modular game engines they could use.
Games looking the same comes from them using similar assets and shaders, the look isn't engine specific thing.
>>
Code your shit from scratch.

You don't have to make an all-purpose engine like Unity or Unreal.
>>
>>61468789
>Why doesn't anyone make their own engine anymore? No wonder games all look the same, feel the same, etc.
Because there is no point in writing the same code to handle asset importing every single time.

>>61468813
>Why are you script kiddying a game anyways? also, >>/v/
Because the actual game development part of a game is making scripts run in an engine. Everything else is engine development.

>>61468825
Just the code to support all the asset types your engine might want to be able to handle would probably take half as long as the entire development of an engine for a game like Doom.

>>61468834
And end up with way more wonky bugs because you have a whole bunch of off-by-one errors that you simply didn't consider in algorithms like collision detection.

>>61468831
>Games looking the same comes from them using similar assets and shaders, the look isn't engine specific thing.
This. The reason why games with UE4 have the same looking sun is that the developers just use the default UE4 sun in it. Go look at the sun in PUBG. Now go open up UE4 with a default project and look at the sun.
>>
>>61468775
Yawn, the unreal 1 era was much better. Back when epic games was groundbreaking.
>>
>>61468910
>And end up with more wonky bugs because...

So you admit to your ineptitude?
>>
>>61468910
>And end up with way more wonky bugs because you have a whole bunch of off-by-one errors that you simply didn't consider in algorithms like collision detection.
That only happens if you suck at programming.
Because that doesn't happen to me.

Besides, I enjoy the engine development side of things more than the game.
>>
enjoy your shit netcode and "assets"
I will be over here cracking and pirating your game, then I will sell cheats for it.
>>
>>61468997
>cracking and pirating your game
Why would you need to crack and pirate a game that is free and open source?
>>
>>61468997
>then I will sell cheats for it.
And then I will fix the bugs that caused the cheats. Your point?
>>
>>61468786
>It's open source so you can fix it
>>
>>61469046
What? Can't program in C++?
Pathetic. How can you even call yourself a game developer.
>>
>>61469022
you clearly don't understand how cheats work, or how people pay more than the cost of the game every month for them. good luck have fun with your hours of scripting, I will be done in minutes
>>
>>61468825
That's bullshit. You don't use 99% of features when using an engine like Unity/Unreal so needless to say you don't have to program all of these features either.
>>
>>61468966
>So you admit to your ineptitude?
Sure. I realize that the more code you need to write the more likely you are to get bugs. However, what I do is irrelevant, what's relevant is that there are so many games that run custom engines with weird shit happening in them or engines simply lacking features.

>>61468982
>That only happens if you suck at programming.
>Because that doesn't happen to me.
Must be nice to be perfect. Us mortals generally make mistakes from time to time. The more code you need to write the more likely mistakes are.

>>61469164
That's fine. Then your cheat software gets patched and thousands of people banned who will rebuy the game.
And if it's a game that can be pirated then who cares about cheats anyway?

I will, however, laugh when we get even more invasive DRM schemes because of people like you. Soon in Europe you might literally be able to require an ID card inserted into a card reader to be able to register for an account.
>>
File: mia.jpg (127KB, 606x613px) Image search: [Google]
mia.jpg
127KB, 606x613px
Why aren't you developing for iOS /g/?
> SpriteKit for based 2D games
> SceneKit for based 3D games (high-level API)
> Metal for even more awesome 3D (low-level)
> Swift 4.0 as the best language
> Xcode 9 literally best IDE (wirelessly device testing)
Feels good tbqh
>>
>>61469209
Do you just not debug your programs? When you create bugs, you fix them.
>What's relevant is that lots of custom games are buggy
Inept people who don't want to take the time to figure out their problems and saying "good enough" and releasing. Which also happens just as much with games made in pre-made engines.
>>
>>61468775
i don't even like any of these mainstream commercial game engines, but material shaders belong to the game engine workflow, if you're inclined to write your own material shader code you may as well use your own engine
>>
>>61469268
I thought that was a fucking staple between her colarbones at first. Fuck.
>>
>>61469268
Meme learning makes more money
>>
>>61469209
>switches from FOSS argument to literal illegal DRM practices
>still doesn't understand I make more money off your game with 1/18th the work, just have to dump memory to update it
nice
>>
>>61469164
No, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>61469209
>The more code you need to write the more likely mistakes are.
And the better programmer you are, the less likely you are to make stupid beginner mistakes like having your code full of one-off errors.
That just doesn't happen to actual experienced programmers.
>>
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/ExpressionReference/Custom/index.html
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/573425/how-to-make-custom-shader.html
>>
>>61469279
>Inept people who don't want to take the time to figure out their problems and saying "good enough" and releasing. Which also happens just as much with games made in pre-made engines.
Like I said, it must be nice to be perfect. I wish I never made any mistakes either. Playing competitive video games would be really fun then.

>>61469338
>still doesn't understand I make more money off your game with 1/18th the work, just have to dump memory to update it
But you don't, because you get a tiny fraction of the sales.

>switches from FOSS argument to literal illegal DRM practices
That's not illegal though. If ID cards with chips become widely available in Europe then that could actually be something that might be implemented for online games. They're already doing this in some online forums in European countries where these chip cards and readers are common.

>>61469373
>And the better programmer you are, the less likely you are to make stupid beginner mistakes like having your code full of one-off errors.
Of course it does. You're dealing with humans, not robots. Expecting this to not happen "because you're experienced" is just your ego talking. It's like saying mathematicians can't make calculation errors with basic arithmetic, yet we have plenty of evidence to show otherwise.

The people least likely to not ship with mistakes are the ones that acknowledge and understand that they make mistakes, because they will actually try to mitigate it.
>>
>>61469457
yes I do. if you ever do actually develop a game, you will understand how much money time is worth, and how I get a part of the sales from every game I choose to exploit. You would spend hours for the dollars that I would get for minutes of work. Also you would need to market your dumb game, while I piggyback off of that, raising my margins further. Go to sleep
>>
>>61469516
a successful game makes millions. a game that makes hundreds of thousands can also be considered a success for an indie developer. somehow i don't think you're making millions off of your cheats
>>
>make a model
>export as fbx or 3ds
>wonder why my model has none of the materials it did in the modeller
>"oh you have to manually create materials and set them up, and the way i do that is..." --unreal engine developer on the forum
unrealfags will defend this

>close all programs
>open unreal editor
>eventually the editor leaks enough to occupy all 8GB of RAM, then crashes
unrealfags will defend this

>landscape material has no anti-tiling provisions by default
unrealfags etc.

>editor has no material painter; here goy, just buy substance painter for a billion dolllars
unrealfags etc.

>C++ API is ten times worse than the already catastrophically ugly unreal 1 API
>every little class seems to have at least 100 methods
unrealfags etc.
>>
>>61469457
>is just your ego talking
No, it's my experience talking. I actually write software unlike you, and I've learnt how to avoid making a lot of stupid mistakes that you would fill your code with.

It's quite possible to avoid many mistakes just by taking up good practices and generally having a lot of programming experience and opportunities to learn by writing large non-trivial programs.

Admit it, you just suck at programming.
>>
>>61469578
this
>>
>>61469543
millions minus man hours, marketing, DRM, hosting, publishing cut, legal fees
its like an argument with a millennial
>>
>>61468775

Is there any reason why they would do this? Like they want to force everyone into 'proper' pbr?
>>
>>61469457
>Well geez, not everyone's perfect like you
You don't have to be perfect to take the time to debug your programs and think out your problems

Go back to /agdg/ for fuck's sake
>>
>>61469608
lol good luck making any serious amount of money from exploits, you sound underage and you're happy with a hobby-level income, if you do make it big have fun getting sued
>>
>>61469576
>all 8GB
Stop trying to develop games on your macbook air.

>>editor has no material painter; here goy, just buy substance painter for a billion dolllars
install blender
>>
>>61469632
finally, he cracked
>>
>>61469637
>le toaster meme
yes that excuses memory leaks. and it is a leak, since it'll grow and grow and crash when idle.

>blender
material painting in blender is an obstacle to creativity. i've got a ue4 mimicking shader handy, but hopping between paint slots in this abortion of a ui is terrible

epic, just give me the tools to deal with your engine.
>>
>>61469712
>epic, just give me the tools to deal with your engine.
or grow up and make your own engine
>>
>>61469772
another fantastic non-defense of the indefensible
>>
>>61469891
yeah keep crying
>>
File: 1472049050965.png (11KB, 210x297px) Image search: [Google]
1472049050965.png
11KB, 210x297px
>>61469712
>but hopping between paint slots in this abortion of a ui is terrible
Really? Clicking on a slot is too much for you?
>>
File: file.png (78KB, 920x781px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
78KB, 920x781px
Or idk, the guy in the OP could have googled the question.
>>
>>61470042
Everyone knows that pretending you know an answer and having everyone bitch out the correct answer is the only real way to ask a question on this site.
>>
>>61470029
yeah because invariably you're going to want to change the brush settings, which are in a different tab on the toolbar/toolbox/whatever blender calls it (i still haven't learned the name after 10 years' usage).

so the workflow is: do a bit of painting on one slot -> click the tab necessary to change slots -> change slots -> click the tab necessary to modify brush settings -> modify brush settings -> do a bit of painting on this slot -> repeat. blender needs a task-oriented UI.

also one more thing: when i create a paint slot, the image will not show in the uv/image viewer selector, nor in any other image selector, but it will show up on a material image texture node's image selector -- why this inconsistency?
>>
>>61468910
Faggots who deter you from creating their own engine with existing libraries are the worst. A board about programming should be supportive about engine design
>>
>>61468910
Except the way the engine renders is a correlation to its own rendering pipeline. Some things you can't change
>>
>>61470068
This
>hahaha (x)cucks can't even do (y)
>autistic users of x rush out to explain how OP is retarded and how easy it is to do (y)
>/g/ tricked into being tech support once again
>>
>>61470557
cucked again
>>
>>61469637
>install blender
It's literally hot trash. Only reason I use it now is because Autodesk went full new with subscriptions and The foundry actively spies on you
>>
>>61472388
>It's literally hot trash
>I use it
cucked hard
>>
>>61472834
It works, just nowhere near as well as professional programs. Still feels like something from the 00s, except not even as robust as max
>>
>>61468775
>>>/v/
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.