[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinkfag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

File: csm_teaser_1_02acc701dc.jpg (31KB, 738x223px) Image search: [Google]
csm_teaser_1_02acc701dc.jpg
31KB, 738x223px
Why do you faggots worship this shit? How is it better than other laptops?
>>
its not, its a part of the /g/ culture
>>
don't come back until you use it.
>>
>>61463948
as someone who has fallen for the thinkpad meme fairly recently after using a number of other laptops including MBP/r:

they feel solid (unlike fucking macbook hinges), have a nice keyboard for a laptop, are easily repairable and upgradeable.

thinkpads are not perfect though, I miss the gestures I had with my macbooks touchpad and the retina display, but this is an acceptable price to pay for a laptop that won't start breaking in half after a year
>>
>>61463948
>>61463957
buying old used laptops for cheap that can still function with modern software
not buying a brand new consumer shitshow laptop for 1 grand
>>
>>61463948
>Modern thinkpads
>>
The simple answer is that it's not cheap consumer shit.

Most business laptops are mean't to last because time is money and they need to be up and running around the clock. These means that the laptops are built to withstand a lot of abuse/use + they're easy to upgrade.
>>
Modern ThinkPads with IPS panels are actually great machines. /g/ just chooses to autistically meme classic brickpads.
>>
>>61464290
>Modern ThinkPads with IPS panels are actually great machines.
They aren't actually ThunkPads.
They are re-badged Lenovo generics.
As for their panels, they have been utter crap ever since Lenovo ditched the IBM FlexView panels when Lenovo took over the ThinkPad brand.
>>
>>61465480
>thinkpads havent been great in nearly a decade and a half

so why do you faggots constantly talk up the c2d and sandy bridge models?
>>
>>61463948
>older models have good keyboards
>easily upgraded
>probably the best performance per $ ratio
>dirt cheap
>in excess
>wide varieties
>durable
>long lasting
>etc. etc.

Basically, if you don't have a need for an expensive specced out laptop/fashion statement, this is the best option. My x201 outlasted and out performed my Surface Pro 3.
>>
>>61465528
>he fell for the /g/ is one person meme
>>
>>61465480
>As for their panels, they have been utter crap ever since Lenovo ditched the IBM FlexView panels when Lenovo took over the ThinkPad brand.
[citation needed]

>They are re-badged Lenovo generics.
I agree that the Edge series and ThinkPad 13 aren't worthy of the ThinkPad name. But otherwise, the T/W series and the more expensive X models always have been part of Lenovo's premium lineup and are anything but rebadges.
>>
>>61465598
>thicc
>bulky
>heavy
>ugly
>unwanted
>childproof
>cheap
you're not wrong, they are great for a cheap disposable laptop that you don't care about if it gets beat up
>>
>>61463948
I'll bite
mine has a graphics card that I can use for rendering shit and I got it dirt cheap
I've always liked the feel of Thinkpads, it makes me feel like I am at a desktop instead of at a laptop and I feel like I can control it better and get work done quicker. I fucking hate touchpads so the nipple is my favorite reason for it. I also upgraded it a bit by putting in two ssds and swapping out the thermal paste so it feels like it runs hotter but I don't get throttling anymore (live inna desert and air conditioning is expensive where I live)
>>
>>61465748
in what situation would anyone actually be stupid enough to brake your laptop at all. I love that my thinkpad has all these redundancies but anyone who needs to use them is just clumsy imo
>>
>>61463948
I use this for work. My boss gave me the option of chosing a Macbook or Thinkpad, but I chose the Thinkpad instead since I grew up with PCs. It's the not issue of brand worship.
>>
>>61465480
I had a T550 recently that was pretty nice. I'll take my Precision M4800 over it, but it's nice.
>>
>>61463948
>be /g/
>spend over a decade explaining why thinkpads are amazing
>some fag goes on me and asks whats so good about thinkpads

gtfo noob
>>
>>61465853
why are apple users so insecure? Thinkpad general has a lot of self claimed "thinkpad supremacists" but not nearly as many as the apple users I hear from day to day. It's always something to do with money. Little do they know my thinkpad outperforms their macbook in functionality, customization, and hardware. The only thing they have on me is looks but I don't care. Computers are work tools not really fashion statements unless you count smart watches.
>>
>>61465908
>macbooks look better than thinkpads
false
>>
Just compare a $500 thinkpad to a $500 laptop in Best buy
>>
>>61463948
>best use:price ratio of any laptop
>excellent build quality
>battery extension lasts very long
>fantastic online support
>old keyboard is god tier
>has an ultra potable range
>tinker friendly
>linux friendly

Been the owner of an X220 for 4 years, and use it as my main PC.
>>
>>61465967
I agree with you but normies don't think so. I was just using that as a counter argument to my own that he would agree with.
>>
>>61465977
Is the screen size not holding you back?
>>
>>61465967
Modern ThinkPads > Macbooks > Old ThinkPads
I'm ready for my (You)s
>>
>>61464204
What Thinkpad did you buy?
>>
>>61465655
It isn't?
>>
Oh yay this thread again. Just what /g/ needed. OP is GOAT.
>>
>>61466156
Depends on the model but the only real gripe with modern tps is their pre-installed botnet.
>>
>>61466209
they arent fuckin serviceable. you have to remove the fuckin cpu to get the keyboard off
>>
>>61466156
>>
true thinkpads had IBM logos. t60p fuck ya x60 fuck ya.. I have the x220 and I like it but I gotta say.... the magic is in the IBMs. some day ill do the x62, already have frankenpad t60p. oh and xfce wow thank god I found you.. just throwing that in cause its easily the best.
>>
>>61466270
>implying you can even remove the processor on nu-thinkpads
soldered shit is fucking cancer
>>
>>61466843
>X62
>not T70
>>
>>61466126
From what?
>>
>>61463948
>magnesium rollcage
>user-replaceable parts
>you can find old ones for extremely cheap on ebay because when companies upgrade they have to offload a thousand old ones
>constructed better than consumer laptops (same is true of hp elitebooks)
>trackpoint is a superior pointing method to the trackpad
>docking stations
>you can replace the optical drive with a second battery or hard drive
>you can add on usb ports or hook up an external GPU with the expresscard slot
>nice aesthetic
>only machines on the international space station
>majority of the machines with libreboot support (the only way to have a modern free, private, and secure computer)
>>
>>61464220
What about buying Thinkpads for a grand?
>>
>>61466843
Autism
>>
>>61468576
Doing anything at all
>>
>>61466270
No you don't you mongoloid. At most, you have to lift the motherboard by removing a few screws.
>>
>>61463948
>How is it better than other laptops
Been wondering that myself, i got my mums old T510 a few weeks ago, and so far i don't see the point. I mean sure, the build quiallity and the meme point are nice, but then I don't miss those, when i go back and use my old '08 Acer Extensa, in fact the only reason i keep using the thinkmeme over my old laptop is the newer hareware, and that fact, that it's less of a housefire.
Other things I don't like about the T510:
USB and audio jacks on the wrong side
No numberpad
>>
>>61463948
They aren't necessarily better than other professional laptops however used ones can be found easily and are quite cheap, are upgradeable, durable and parts are easy to find.
They are respectable and used ones are cheap. That's it.
>>
>>61469210
there is a numberpad but it's pretty autistic
and you're basically correct on those other two points
I have a T510 and I'll be switching to something else.

So while we are on the topic of that. What is the best ThinkPad in terms of betterness? It has to have the old style keyboard (none of that new keyboard bullshit) and it has to be built correctly. GPU is a must. Extra points if it comes in an i (thin) profile version.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170720-022453.png (676KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170720-022453.png
676KB, 1080x1920px
Would adding a rx 460 egpu and 4 more gigs of ram to this be worth it for gayming?
>>
It's not, expensive as shit too unless you buy an old one with cumstains.
>>
>>61469387
>$260 for that
what
>>
>>61463948
Stronger and faster than any comparable machines and they're dirt cheap lightly used. Replace the keyboard, toss in an SSD, and install GNU/Linux and a $150 laptop can be used for nearly any computing task outside of heavy photo editing or gaming. Like >>61464204 said the displays are shitty but it doesn't matter if you're using it for work or shitposting, and you can hook up an external display for movies and stuff.
>>
>>61468709
its fucking nothing

intel jew didnt do shit for the past 4-5 years so theres only a 20% gap between the low power ivy bridge M cpus and the latest kaby lake and even less for older ULV cpus not to mention ivy bridge essentially btfod haswell back in the day

as for quad cores its more or less the same story
an ivy bridge or haswell quad will toe to toe with kaby lake
unless you overclock them then youll just be beating out desktop cpus

what Im trying to get at it you dont get anything in performance if its all you care about

for the other things, battery life always has been great since lenovo never lost sight of one the more important aspects of thinkpads, which is godtier battery. for around 1k you could get a T470 (regular variant) outfit it with a 1080p screen and 96 wh hours of battery and upgrade the rest later and have pretty nice machine

for less you can just get a X230 or T430 get a 9 cell battery and slice battery and get the same performance and same battery life too though
>>
>>61469326
your options are
>W530 with a keyboard swap
>T430 with a dgpu and keyboard swap(the NVS 5400m is a bag of shit but it still doubles igpu)
if you can drop the gpu you could go for a X230 with a keyboard swap
>>
>>61469387
stick with nvidia for egpus since they both give you better performance over the limited bandwidth and you can have internal display acceleration

also yeah kind of
though you over paid for that
by a lot
you shouldve gotten the B grade one for 100 cheaper
>>
>>61469067
For example?
>>
File: 20170720_040529.jpg (921KB, 1500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
20170720_040529.jpg
921KB, 1500x2000px
Is P71 gud for mild gaymen, animation, and art stuff?
>>
>>61472376
>buying brand new laptops

Listen son. I don't care if your a latitudefag, or a thinkpadfag, or even a macfag

ALL OF US CAN ALL AGREE ON AT LEAST ONE THING

Buying a *brand new* laptop is a fucking WASTE

WASTE

WASTE

of money.
>>
File: IMG_20170720_145404.png (682KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_145404.png
682KB, 720x720px
>>61463948
>better
It's not (apart from the keyboard and the aesthetics)
If anything it's heavier, obsolete, emits cancerogen light from the shitty lcd panel and smells like cum.
Having post-XX20 thinkpads is more of a cult following.
>>
File: get_rekt.jpg (19KB, 358x370px) Image search: [Google]
get_rekt.jpg
19KB, 358x370px
Is this /g/'s worst nightmare?
>>
>>61473547
>not even the new XPS13
no
>>
>>61471746
depending on his options he could also look for eGPU expresscard and buy cheap GPU like 750 Ti, but he needs monitor to maximize it i guess
>>
>>61464238
>le modern thinkpads sucks xDDD
Epic maymay.
>>
>>61469387
i7 on laptop is only slightly higher clocked i5 anon unless it's HQ series, kinda overpriced imo
>>
I own a 2014 macbook and a modern thinkpad.

The macbook has an amazing screen and scaling and font rendering works amazingly well in macOS.
The touchpad is really good and the gestures work really nicely.

The keyboard is shit and it's extremely prone to overheating.

Thinkpad is strong, sturdy has a great keyboard very nice cooling system and never throttles. The screen is absolute horse shit and the track pad is also shit, use the nipple or just a mouse desu.
>>
>>61474139
COIL WHINE
O
I
L

W
H
I
N
E
>>
>>61463948
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5cKuO8ojAU

Durable mobile workstations, ultrabooks, and toughbooks (all other formfactors suck shit). They are modular and hackable.

The XX40 and beyond are shit though. PXX series is good again though, still miss the keyboard.
>>
>>61476626
Same here, I have a MacBook issued to me by my school and an HP EliteBook running Windows 7 from a couple years ago (got from surplus at uni for $140)

The Mac's alright and can do everything decently (including some games), but it will bitch out and fail at the slightest provocation. Get one drop of water on it or try to have it run multiple programs and it'll freeze and get hot. Not to mention that the boot time can get pretty horrendous sometimes.

The EliteBook is less powerful but much more reliable and durable. It's got a decent screen (14") but the trackpad sometimes skips around when I'm typing, which is a minor nuisance.
>>
You pay cheaper for better hardware than other laptops in the same price tag. It has an extremely study build quality and is user serviceable.
>>
>>61463948
>every day some HP or Lenovo shill comes on here to be a giant asshole
>every single day the whole thing is explained over and over to this pajeetchang
why don't the mods ban shitposters like this?

Are these shitposts paid promotions?
>>
File: 35.jpg (566KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
35.jpg
566KB, 1440x1080px
>>61465480
This, modern Lenovo machines are shit, come with Chinese AND Intel spyware, etc.
>>
They have literally the best value of any laptop.

Posted from my ThinkPad running GNU+Linux.
>>
Before the t430 series, thinkpads had pretty good keyboards. I can type almost as fast on my thinkpad t410 as my desktop keyboard. they also had a keyboard layout similar to a desktop, which is something that I haven't seen in any laptop made in the last 5 years. If you're going to be using the command like all day, like most of the people on /g/ who worship thinkpads, a good keyboard means a lot. Unless you're compiling shit all the time or playing video games, you won't notice much of a difference in speed between old thinkpads and more modern laptops.
>>
File: 1461286430159.gif (37KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1461286430159.gif
37KB, 480x270px
>>61476239
>i7 on laptop is only slightly higher clocked i5 anon unless it's HQ series
An i5 in a laptop is just a higher clocked i3, so an i7 in a laptop is a higher clocked i3, unless it's a HQ series.
>>
>>61478001
I mean intel does sometimes fuck up the igpu too but I guess youre right
>>
>>61473547
>no RJ45 port
>shit keyboard layout
>chicklet keyboard

eh, I'd rather have an x200.
>>
>>61469053
Yes!!!! I've arrived! got called autistic on /g/.. I'm a true member now. An honor. gotta say though, wormholes run deep and until you go down one you never glimpse the possibility or glean the awareness to KNOW. I know, I know... "its a computer, who cares." ITS NOT A COMPUTER! Life, true life, lives in the wormholes, deep and dark, and the privileged few get to visit and find where they lead.. but what they find there only they will ever KNOW. Sure they can bring it out to the world.. but the world won't fully understand. The world will call you an "autist" and then go watch TV. The world will drink a beer. Yes.. I've been down many a wormhole.. Audio, open baffle western electric 2a3........ I watched someone cry when they heard it. people don't even know what music sounds like anymore.. but I do. cause I've been down the winding, dark, lonesome path of the warrior, where there's ego death of herd perception, I've laid with the dissolution of safety in numbers, seen the occult, the truth. And what you find there is the thing, the thing that has ached in your mind, the thing you have numbed out, the thing that was too good to be true, but your heart knew it, your soul knew it. and it was there all along waiting for you. And it waits.. for you.
>>
So all thinkpads go with those small screens? What about 15.6" screens? Are they expensive?
Where is the best place to buy some good cheap thinkpads?
>>
>>61463948
lol

t. w500 user
>>
>>61466209
>pre-installed botnet
WAT?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.