[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the general outline for building a PC from new and/or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1495603846254.jpg (22KB, 255x229px) Image search: [Google]
1495603846254.jpg
22KB, 255x229px
For highest price/performance. With the weight going towards performance. Let's say you have a budget of $1000 and the goal is all-around high performance (within your own interpretation).

Let's throw in the bonus of $200 for all I/O devices such as keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. Performance of all interpreted by you, of course. But please elaborate on why you chose those components.
>>
>>61446272
>>>/g/pcbg

Search the catalog next time, new friend
>>
>>61446272
I would google benchmarks, pick the most price/performance cpu,gpu,ram for my money and add the rest using pcpartpicker

If it comes out for too much/too little I'd swap the parts for cheaper/more expensive ones.
>>
>>>/g/pcbg
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (352KB, 1440x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
352KB, 1440x1200px
I'll start with my own outline.
>starting from the base of a used dual socket workstation
Something like this Dell Precision T5600
g**.gl/NYLKAj (link shortened)
I think $550 will get it as a best offer, so that's $600 shipped. You can sell the Quadro K4000 in it for $200 on ebay. So that leaves $800 to work with.

The 2TB hard drive should be plenty of storage space for most people. For the OS drive I would recommend just a regular SATA 3 SSD, nothing fancy like a m.2 even though it is technically possible.
I like this Sandisk 240gb drive:
g**.gl/rLCN7N
$75 leaves $625.

You'll want to upgrade the CPUs. Replace them with Xeon e5-2680. Some recommend the 2670 but right now the 2680 is just a little more expensive and is worth the price difference.
g**.gl/j8xPcq
You can sell the two e5-2630s for $40. That leaves about $440.

The GPU will make a lot of difference. Right now that market is terrible for mid-range cards. However, this GTX 980 ti hybrid looks like a nice deal:
g**.gl/k6HyQ6
The radiator will fit right into the vacant spot in the rear of the T5600 case. 440 - 386 = $55.

Use the remaining money to order 16gb of extra ram for the system to bring you up to an even 32gb. That's enough for some nice ramdisk performance should you ever want to get into that.
>>
>>61446906
I linked the wrong 980 ti, this is the right one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-6gb-hybrid-/112486877982?epid=220499757&hash=item1a30bd8b1e:g:1SEAAOSwJYVZbq0~
>>
>>61446929
Also you will need to adapt one of the other power rails in the T5600 power supply to power the GPU. The main PCI-E power connectors won't do it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.