[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VPS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: images.png (6KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
6KB, 192x192px
/g/,

what experience do you have with setting up/using a vps? I just set up a free ubuntu server via amazon web services and am attempting to set up an irc server for my friends to chat on.

What are the best vps services? What other cool things can you do with these?
>>
my vps has cocks.
are you really setting up an irc server just for you and your friends?
>>
>>61443599
Yes I am, figured it would be a fun way to learn a little more about irc.
>>
>>61443373
I went AWS → DigitalOcean → Vultr over ~5 years or so?

AWS free instance is nice, but otherwise AWS is terribly overpriced unless you need other Amazon services to integrate with.

DigitalOcean has relatively good services and I didn't have any problems with DO at all.

I eventually moved to Vultr because Vultr allows custom ISOs and has more ram for the same price as DO. Don't trust Vultr's cheapest instances though, because they're always "sold out", but you won't know that until you'll try to spin up one.

Also, both DO and Vultr provide on-site backups that you CAN'T download, those are literally useless, don't pay for those, set up your own backups.
>>
>>61445655
Okay, maybe not completely useless, because they're easy to re-deploy, but don't rely on them
>>
>>61445655
Basically this.

I use a single Vultr instance as a webserver, IRC, SFTP host, VPN and seedbox for $2.50 a month, and I'm thinking about making it my own personal dnscrypt resolver, though currently the $2.50 instances are sold out.
>>
>>61445655
>>61446018
Thanks for the info. I may end up switching to vultr as you recommended. I'm having some issue getting irc clients (outside of the aws instance) to recognize the server. For whatever reason, the public IP supplied by amazon is not working properly with the irc server. I'm also a noob at this, so I'm sure it's my fault.
>>
>>61446191
Use UnrealIRCd, it's by far the easiest to setup, plus the default config file contains everything you need to know.

https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Installing_from_source

Including reading everything the entire setup won't take you more than 15 minutes.
>>
>>61446241
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah I was struggling with inspircd. I was able to get it compiled and installed properly, but for whatever reason it was giving me an error saying that the public ip I was supplying was incorrect. I did a fair amount of looking into it but came up empty.
>>
>>61446191
You can use something like netstat or lsof to check if your irc server is listening to the expected ports on expected IP

Also you can usually supply 0.0.0.0 as an IP to listen on which means "listen on all interfaces"
>>
>>61443373
What amazon AWS tier are you using?
>>
>>61446406
That's the point where I gave up, I had told inspircd to listen to all ips and I was still having the same issue.
>>61446499
Free tier
>>
>>61446527
I meant product type (AWS s3, EFS, cloudfront), not tier.
>>
>>61446612
Gotcha, ec2
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.