[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are flowcharts a meme? I've only recently started to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: example-of-flowchart.png (71KB, 763x754px) Image search: [Google]
example-of-flowchart.png
71KB, 763x754px
Are flowcharts a meme? I've only recently started to get into programming, but I took an intro course a while back that stressed how important flowcharts are. It seemed like a whole lot of bullshit to me. Opinions?
>>
>>61442760
It's there so women can also learn how to code.
>>
>>61442760
It depends.
If the program is complex, it's worth taking some time to make the damn diagrams before jumping staight to code. Saves time + less headaches.
>>
>>61442760
They're actually good to present ideas or complete tasks to teams of programmers, also keeping yourself on toe that you won't forget functions and have to implement them later on in more complex programs.

For a shitty 4pages code to simplify stupid tasks, flow charts are indeed unnecessary.
>>
>>61442760
Flowcharts are a meme. UML is a double meme.

Edge cases and unforeseen complications do not arise during flowchart making, only when discussing feature expectations and actually coding. Do it for the requirements for class, then completely forget about it. Even in extremely complex projects flowcharts are not used. Too much cost of time for too little benefit for the project/company.
>>
>>61442760
It's one tool you can use to document your application.
Sometimes it's useful but it's no magic bullet.
>>
Fuck all of it just dive right into barebone C++, unless what your designing is complex then i guess flowcharts could help, I dont really use them
>>
>>61442760
Extremely. It's the foundation of imperative programming.

No one ever uses them, but that's because this type of thinking is completely internalized.
>>
Flowcharts are fine within reason.
UML is "I can't program but have to keep busy or I'll get sent back to India" tier
>>
File: boot_failure_flowchart.png (1MB, 3600x3600px) Image search: [Google]
boot_failure_flowchart.png
1MB, 3600x3600px
>>61442760

For complex problems they are great.

You don't use them very often, only to present ideas, documentation or if you are completely lost in a piece of code (either yours or someone else's code).
>>
>>61442760
Flowcharts cause more questions than answers, and it's not apparent until you attempt to program using them:
// what is the name of this?
// what is the data do we have available?
// It's immediately apparent there is a string username, but later in the flow chart we find we also need ip or user info?
TryCreateAccount(username, ip, userid) {

if (!IsAcceptable(username)) // What is acceptable? min/max length? Allowed characters? Swear words blocks? etc?
return Close("Apolicy"); // or Close("Invalid") which one?

if (HasBlocks(ip, userid)) // if we have deferred to "checkusers" and this returns a block, what do we do?
throw NotYetImpl;

if (UsernameTaken(username)) {
if (User.get(username).CreateDate > recent) // what is "recent"?
// what is "Drope"?
// Maybe a Drop request to reuse the username?
// Is this only suppose to be for old unused usernames? If so, flowchart has is recent backwards
return DropeRequest();
else
return Close("Taken");
}

if (SULTaken(username)) // how is this different than regular UsernameTaken?
return Close("SUL Taken");

if (ConflictingAccount(userid))
throw NotYetImpl; // I have to look elsewhere to see the other part of the flowchart?

return CreateAccount(username);
}

HasBlocks(ip, userid) {
if (HasRangeBlock(ip))
return checkusers(userid);

/* Why is this mentioned in the flowchart if this doesn't affect program flow?
if (HasVandalism(userid))
return false;

if (HasVandalism(ip).date > recent) // what is "recent"?
return false;
*/

return true;
}

The time spent creating that flowchart could have been better spent collecting necessary information from the Lead/PM/Customer/Figuring out things yourself. Unless some non-programmer needs this information, it can be easily gleamed from just looking at the code, since it's a very simple yes/no pattern which translate well into if/else.
>>
It's a program in abstract level, think before you do the dirty work
>>
File: lecringe.jpg (267KB, 869x1776px) Image search: [Google]
lecringe.jpg
267KB, 869x1776px
>>61442777
trips of truth
>>61444249
this
>>61444518
also this
>>61444653
UML it's only used as a placebo for your boss
>>
>>61442760
Nobody EVER uses flowcharts of any kind. Period.
>>
>>61442760
Organizing your thoughts and planning out the main logic, major parts, and flow-of-control in your software is not a meme. It's both a good idea and common sense.

What's a meme is the UML nazis who aren't concerned with the above, but are concerned with things like using the correct shape of box in the diagram.
>>
>>61446336
>When guys code
Writes a program expecting the reader not to be retarded
>When girls code
Fills the screen with emojis their life story and everything inbetween
>>
>>61442777
>t.never worked on a large project
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.