[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IPFS is a decentralized P2P replacement for HTTP and various

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: IPFS logo.png (140KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
IPFS logo.png
140KB, 512x512px
IPFS is a decentralized P2P replacement for HTTP and various other protocols.

Quick summary:
>files are addressed by hash, not by location
>like torrents, but you can build websites on it
>files and metadata are separate, so renaming or moving a file won't change its hash
>can add files with drag and drop like pomf
>can access network via HTTP gateways
>can stream video via mpv or VLC

How it works:
When you add a file, the files are split up individually into pieces and hashed. Any user can request one of these hashes and the nodes find seeds automatically.

FAQ
>Is it anonymous?
As anonymous as BitTorrent: others can see your IP unless you use a VPN. You can build anonymity below (i.e. Tor/I2P/VPN) or above (i.e. GNUnet "fs" module) like the OSI model.

>Is it fast?
As fast as your network can offer, finding peers takes a few minutes for less popular files.

>How is it different from BitTorrent?
You can build websites on top of it. Rearranging or renaming files won't change their hash, so torrents where only a small text file is different won't steal seeders from the other ones.

>How is it different from ZeroNet?
IPFS is a file sharing network which you can build websites on, ZeroNet is made for websites, and isn't as stable or mature. IPFS layers with already existing infrastructure.

Websites of interest:
https://gateway.ipfs.io/ipfs/ - official IPFS gateway, slap this in front of a hash and it will download it from the network. This is slower than using the client and accepts DMCAs.

http://glop.me/ - IPFS pomf clone. 10MB limit.

Planned features for next version (0.4.10):
https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/milestone/33

https://pastebin.com/Xxz9qMkv - list of IPFS hashes

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmU5XsVwvJfTcCwqkK1SmTqDmXWSQW aTa7ZcVLY2PDxNxG/ipfs_links.html - more IPFS hashes
(remove the space, spam filter)
>>
File: 1474597089735.webm (3MB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1474597089735.webm
3MB, 1920x1040px
>>
It's shit
>>
>>61442347
Why?
>>
>>61442255
>I'd it more anonymous than torrents
>No
Well then what's the point?
>>
I'm not a pedo so I'm not interested
>>
>>61442374
The idea is shit.
It's shit on FUSE
>>
>>61442378
You can build websites on it, and various other applications are in progress. Look at Totoro: Anime Tracker in the list of IPFS hashes pastebin for an example. You can use a VPN to hide your IP. Including anonymity in a file sharing protocol is a bad idea since not everyone needs it and it decreases speed or throughput. Furthermore it attracts unwanted attention at an early stage of development. It's better to build it on top as a plugin (like gnunet, ask your neighbors for a file, if they don't have it they ask someone else) or below like I2P+BitTorrent.
>>61442379
IPFS doesn't even have any problems with CP.
>>61442398
How is the idea shit? The main interfaces are CLI and HTTP.
>>
>>61442378
This. It's only slightly better than it so it won't succeed. Just like plan9.
>>
>>61442504
>The main interfaces are CLI and HTTP
Then it's shit on FUSE with CLI and HTTP interfaces
It's still shit
>>
>>61442517
It's no significant technological improvement, but there are some things you simply can't do with torrents. For example, torrents still need index websites. With IPFS, you can build the index websites themselves decentralized.
>>
>>61442536
Why?
>>
>>61442517
>>61442378
IPFS isn't about sharing illegal or copyrighted content.
IPFS is about creating a protocol for decentralized filehosting. This is great for the (stated purpose of) interplanetary CDN, or the more down-to-earth idea of running a bandwidth or storage heavy website like 4chan on a budget held up by hundreds of shoestrings.
>>
>>61442829
But you can use it for regular piracy, as long as it's not CP first world countries won't care.
>>
still don't understand the differences between this and zeronet lel
in what scenario would you use one over the other?
>>
>>61442865
Even if you did, it wouldn't be worth the effort.
IPFS is clearly designed and geared for a greater purpose. It's for cloning and opening nodes of existing whole servers.
Torrents are for select files. Setting up IPFS just to pirate is a waste of everyone's time.
>>
>>61442870
IPFS is more mature and has more future plans. Everything ZeroNet can do, IPFS can do better.
>>61442967
But it would increase adoption. Setting up IPFS isn't harder than installing a torrent client.
>>
>>61443075
>IPFS is more mature and has more future plans
why and what are the plans
>>
>>61443116
IPFS is older. Work is progressing on decentralized databases (orbit-db), integrating other protocols (libp2p, git), and many other things. ZeroNet is essentially only capable of distributing a static but updateable site.
>>
>>61442870
Zeronet is built on top of Bittorrent. IPFS is a p2p network built from scratch, and at the design level is independent of network protocols like IP.
IPFS really is more of a general purpose file system. It supports object cryptography and deduplication.

Zeronet is 100% for running websites. Problem is that it can run on the TOR network, expect it to be slow as balls.
I would use Zeronet to run a website that must never go down, like WikiLeaks. By design, Zeronet is also easier to set up to make a website for.

I would use IPFS for literally anything else. IPFS does have some benefits though. Content on Zeronet is locked to a website, and inherits flaws from Bittorrent. With IPFS you are much more likely to find a seeder for "123.jpg" because it retrieves it from literally anyone that might have it, as opposed to bit torrent which relies on trackers and such.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (36KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
36KB, 1280x720px
Still holding out for Urbit tbqh
>>
>>61443676
Years since I read this mad blog post and I still haven't understood what the fuck Urbit is. Mind explaining it in plain terms?
>>
File: 1500306616165.png (475KB, 814x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500306616165.png
475KB, 814x720px
>>61444399
No one can. It's a meme.
>>
>>61444756
>>61444399
I can't figure it out either. I'm getting the vibe that it's severe autism or schizophrenia. Guy seems to want decentralized cloud applications with personal control over private information (literally impossible)--read, digital communism.

He seems to have laid out all of his ideas and what he wants, but otherwise has no idea how to connect them into a tangible product.

Basically, he's a retarded web developer idea guy.
>>
>>61442255
I tried it, it works.
No one cares though.
>>
>>61442255
IPFS is the shitty version of the SAFE network.
>>
>>61442255
explain me, how is it different than some fancy iSCSI ?
PROTIP:you can't
>>
>>61445190
>have to pay to share files
Great network you have there pal
>>61445698
Not decentralized.
>>
>>61443153
Wrong. Zeronet can do dynamic sites too
>>
Give me a hash
>>
>>61446394
Yes, but it still inherits the flaws BitTorrent has. For file sharing it's rubbish.
>>61446443
https://pastebin.com/Xxz9qMkv
https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmU5XsVwvJfTcCwqkK1SmTqDmXWSQ WaTa7ZcVLY2PDxNxG/ipfs_links.html (remove the space)
>>
this shit is written in fucking go; I am never touching this shit
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.