[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Don't you wish your operating system installed programs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 12

File: xi.png (17KB, 590x371px) Image search: [Google]
xi.png
17KB, 590x371px
Don't you wish your operating system installed programs like this?
>>
>>61431222
No, why?
>>
cp binary /bin
>>
>>61431222
I am not retarded so no
>>
Now post the steps to fully uninstall Xcode.
>>
>>61431222

I prefer the windows, or even Linux version, better than mac.

On mac you: Download your application, double click it to mount, drag the icon into the application folder, wait for it to copy/install, then you have a shitty fucking application mounted you have to manually unmount. THEN if you want to uninstall an application, you have to delete the main .app but you ALSO have to hunt around in ~/library or whatever to find the hidden files to remove an application fully.

Linux probably does the process best, but only via terminal. It has some issues using whatever 'store' e.g. ubuntu store you use.
>>
>>61431250
heh
>>
>>61431222
Why would you want that?
>>
>>61431222
fuck off i toddler macs are shit tier any thinkpad would destroy it fuck face
>>
>>61431250
move it to trash, uninstall script gets activated
>>
>>61431290
>windows
>download .exe
>click through elaborate installer "wizard" that dumps shit all over the Registry
>carefully make sure to uncheck any boxes for added malware
>realize software is garbage
>open Add/Remove Programs
>wait for list of 500 frameworks to load
>run uninstall program
>click through a dozen "wizard" screens
>carefully make sure to check every box
>no, I will not answer your opinion poll
>reboot
>>
>>61431222
If application's installer is not interactive then it's simply not an advanced application.
>>
It's a nice system until you want to handle dependencies. For statically linked software it's great.
>>
File: laughing_elf_man.jpg (57KB, 600x829px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_elf_man.jpg
57KB, 600x829px
>>61431873
>he drives an automatic
>>
>>61431241
this
>>
don't you wish you could not spend over $7000 for a computer with >32gb ram?
>>
anything besides windows is fine
you know ms failed when even linux does it easier in the terminal

not even memeing I legitimately find it easier use the terminal than winblows for installation and updates and I don't even use Linux, I use macOS
>>
>>61432248
This
>>
>>61431229

>this level of denial
>>
>>61431290
brew cask zap
>>
>>61431370
Literally underage and angry. Go drink your Gay2raid and have some cheetos kid.

>>61432244
>$7000

Silly retard, MacBooks cost $21,000 starting right now. Didn't you know?
>>
>>61431222
Xcode is cancer.
I use it daily and endure the Simulator corruptions, endless clean rebuilds when cache invalidations fail and general Mac software library bullshit: everything's stateful and fails randomly.
>>
>>61431222
It's okay. The Appstore or a package manager is still better IMO.
>>
File: tumblr_m98otyOjNT1ru1dcc.gif (417KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m98otyOjNT1ru1dcc.gif
417KB, 180x180px
>>61431222
>>
>>61431222
>try to uninstall shit
>it does not remove the apps temp files and shit, only the executable
>>
>>61431222
but it does.. it took me quite a while to figure this out coming from windows.

also, there is no registry
>>
No. I simply wish to he able to type "emerge [name]" and enjoy something else while it installs it.
>>
>>61433394
Oh? Are you that short of disk space?
>>
>>61433467
>also, there is no registry
Only Windows has the registry.
>>
>>61431873

>not using something like revo to uninstall

Same goes for macOS as well.
>>
File: dfu.png (633KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dfu.png
633KB, 1920x1080px
Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?
>>
>>61432248
When you use the terminal, the seek is in your head, not on the computer.
Just say the word and it's yours.
>>
>not just using siri
>>
>>61434178
Don't you wish westerners stopped trying to draw animays
>>
File: Screenshot-1500370194.png (187KB, 994x726px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-1500370194.png
187KB, 994x726px
i lik it dis way and im on winders

check/uncheck one box my niga, every app at ur fingertips
>>
>macOS
>Just drag icon into applications folder to install

>Winshit
>double click icon
>starts installer
>please wait while wizard installs botnet
>click next
>would you like to install some 23 browser toolbars with your application?
>OK & Cancel buttons are in reverse order, so you accidentally click OK
>installs spyware botnet and 23 browser toolbars
>puts files all over the hard drive
>puts garbage all over the registry
>>
>>61434397
macOS is better than Windows
linux is better than macOS
>>
>macOS
>want to install Xcode
>have to upgrade to Sierra to install 8.x
>downloads for previous versions are only available to paid developer accounts
>SDKs for previous versions of OS X and iOS are only available to paid developer accounts
>>
>Windows

>click on the Store tile in start menu
>type in search box what the program should be capable of doing like drawing, music, messaging, etc
>click on the app i like the icon of and click install
>done
>if i want to uninstall i just right click on the app's tile in start menu and it's uninstalled
The comfiest
>>
>>61433394
NOTHING fully uninstalls all files a program made
>>61434595
no they're not. they're free
>>
>>61431222

no, i like to double click
>>
>>61434595
>>SDKs for previous versions of OS X and iOS are only available to paid developer accounts
That's wrong though. But you do have to sign in with your Apple ID.
>>
>Windows
>has software that I want to use

>MacOS
>has acceptable alternatives or ports of the software that I want to use, but lacking some features

>Linux
>the software I want to use doesn't exist

You don't really get to cry about how "complex" installation is when you have nothing to install. Besides Linuxfags LOVE complex shit (unless Windows does it, right?).
>>
>>61431241
/thread
if you're programmer and can't even install a binary, then you're in the wrong profession
>>
File: 1479058982886.jpg (122KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
1479058982886.jpg
122KB, 1200x799px
>>61431873
Why would you do any of that?
If it's freeware you should almost certainly be running the portableapps version.
Are you retarded?
Are UNIX babbies actually too stupid to use Windows?
>>
>>61431250

you move it to the trash
>>
>>61433394

>he thinks uninstallers on Windows will do this

short of a package manager files will be orphaned
>>
>>61431250
Buy a new mac.
>>
>>61435732
At least windows have uninstallers. It's up to the software programmer to make a competent uninstaller that actually removes everything, but that's a fuckton more than OSX where nobody writes jack shit for uninstallation at all.
>>
>>61435756

>being this retarded
>>
>>61435790
Clearly state which part of my reply was in any way incorrect.
>>
>>61431290
open source applications on Windows have the best install method
>download zip
>unzip
>run exe
>uninstall by deleting the folder
>>
>>61435804
>It's up to the software programmer to make a competent uninstaller that actually removes everything

fair enough, but then this shit

> but that's a fuckton more than OSX where nobody writes jack shit for uninstallation at all.

"It's up to the software programmer to make a competent uninstaller that actually removes everything" - (You)

there are uninstallers, from simple bash scripts all the way up to applications similar to Revo that you can find on the App Store.
>>
File: 1500054487197.gif (1MB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1500054487197.gif
1MB, 267x200px
>>61431873
>>wait for list of 500 frameworks to load
this so fucking much. The amount of shitty "redistributable" packages that you have installed on your average windows box is mindboggling.
>>
>>61431290
>you have to delete the main .app but you ALSO have to hunt around in ~/library or whatever to find the hidden files to remove an application fully

those are user specific configuration files, the actually application binaries are contained in the .app directory.

Even on Linux packages will leave things like this in hidden .folders and your package manager will not delete those.
>>
>>61435335
kill you'areself, my main man
>>
>>61435906

this is literally how most Mac applications work, the .app "file" is really a directory that contains the executable and resources the application needs.

applications that actually use Installer to install are the exception, not the norm.
>>
>>61435960
>the .app "file" is really a directory that contains the executable and resources the application needs.
It's actually more complicated. It's a jail with necessary environment variables and dependency declarations as well. In Finder it appears as a directory, but when you invoke the application, you're actually setting up a FreeBSD jail and invoking the executable.
>>
>>61435974
>you're actually setting up a FreeBSD jail and invoking the executable
Source on this please
>>
>>61435974

your first problem is that macOS doesn't have FreeBSD jails, it instead uses TrustedBSD MAC to implement sandboxing of apps.
>>
>>61435981
It's called "sandboxing", and it's default for both iOS and macOS.

>>61436019
I was pretty sure it was FreeBSD jails, but it appears I'm mistaken.
>>
>>61431435
Jesus fucking Christ is this true? What is this a toy OS??
>>
>>61436043

>Make something intuitive
>Autist: BUH BUH THIS IS SUCH A TOY OS YOU DONT HAVE TO MANUALLY WRITE SCRIPTS YOURSELF? BUH BUH IF I SPEND LESS THAN 30 MINUTES DELETING FILES FROM MY MACHINE I FEEL LIKE I HAVENT ACHIEVED SOMETHING BUH BUH

kys autism
>>
>>61436038
That's completely different from FreeBSD jails, and I don't believe it exists on MacOS. I think it's on iOS though.

>>61436043
Why is that a bad thing? It's pretty sensible UI to me.
>>
>>61436064
>and I don't believe it exists on MacOS. I think it's on iOS though.
iOS and macOS is essentially the same OS with different configurations, and yes sandboxing is default behaviour on macOS.

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Security/Conceptual/AppSandboxDesignGuide/AboutAppSandbox/AboutAppSandbox.html
>>
>>61436038
>I was pretty sure it was FreeBSD jails, but it appears I'm mistaken.

nope, it never picked up jails from FreeBSD.

interestingly enough, while macOS does not have support for jails, it does have support for hypervisors built in via hypervisor.framework.
>>
>>61436083
>iOS and macOS is essentially the same OS with different configurations
Why can't we run iOS and macOS applications in the same environment? I'm not saying you're lying, I'm genuinely wondering why Apple wouldn't make that happen.
>>
File: 1489613822910.png (141KB, 2688x2688px) Image search: [Google]
1489613822910.png
141KB, 2688x2688px
>>61436063
You're calling him autistic but so far you're the only one ITT sperging in all caps.
>BUH BUH
what does it even mean
>>
>>61436064
>That's completely different from FreeBSD jails, and I don't believe it exists on MacOS. I think it's on iOS though

The sandboxing API utilizes the TrustedBSD MAC, which existed on OS X even before iOS was a thing, sosandboxing is on macOS as well.

Sandboxing is mandatory only for App Store applications, its why the Mac App Store has had limited success compared to iOS (some classes of applications simply can't run sandboxed, like backup utilities and are not in the store)
>>
>>61436123
>Why can't we run iOS and macOS applications in the same environment?
Because of dependencies to different frameworks, basically. But you can run iOS applications on macOS, the other way around is not possible.

It's essentially the same separation of Android and any GNU/Linux distro. It's the same at the core, but you have different userland frameworks.
>>
>>61436193
Seems like Apple would've unified them by now, it'd make things easier for Dev's and double the amount of software available for Mac computers.

>>61436173
Interesting stuff, Imma have to do more research on that.
>>
>>61436204
>Seems like Apple would've unified them by now,
Well, they have but they require additional programming from the app developers part. With the latest iOS and macOS, I can move running apps (that support it) from my iPhone onto my mac and retain state. But it's not trivial to implement for app developers, so very few apps support it and most only implement a subset of the functionality.
>>
>>61436225
Very cool stuff. I have little use for a feature like that, and I'm unlikely to purchase a Mac, but I understand why the normo's like them.
>>
>>61436262
I find it convenient when I use my phone to write emails and messages or use the browser on the bus, and when I get home or to work I just open my MBP and migrate the applications over and continue where I left off.

Too bad Chrome has limited support for this still and only allows me to move tabs over (and scroll down to the correct position). Safari supports more features, but I absolutely detest Safari.
>>
>>61436204
>Seems like Apple would've unified them by now

They have been unifying what make sense to do so over time. While leaving other frameworks specialized. (Like the GUI, because we only need to look at Microsoft to see how the unify literally all the things is going)
>>
File: 1476744239283.jpg (39KB, 508x524px) Image search: [Google]
1476744239283.jpg
39KB, 508x524px
>>61431222
No. Get this program for OS X called App Cleaner and then try uninstalling an application and watch how there's 20 different files that are hidden deep in your Library directory. Those don't get removed when you delete the icon from your Applications directory. Of course, leave it to an iToddler to not understand this. On my Fedora install the package manager removes all that stuff when I uninstall an application. Wangblows has the same issue in that regard, where the harf drive eventually gets clogged with leftovers. GNU/Linux doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>61436595

>Get this program for OS X called App Cleaner and then try uninstalling an application and watch how there's 20 different files that are hidden deep in your Library directory. Those don't get removed when you delete the icon from your Applications directory.

Those are user specific configuration files, which have to be stored somewhere in the user's /home. Linux applications do this as well, they just place them in hidden dot folders or elsewhere in /home.

>On my Fedora install the package manager removes all that stuff when I uninstall an application.

lolno, dnf (and pretty much every other package manager) will not remove configuration files from /home that were not created during package installation. that includes files created after installation that were generated on runtime.
>>
that's pretty autistic desu
>>
>>61436697
This
>>
>>61436697
Those are in the home folder and are specific to the user. You can easily delete them because they're all in one place, or just make a new user and delete the old one. I was talking about files elsewhere in the system, which doesn't apply to Fedora. The package manager removes those.
>>
>>61436780
>I was talking about files elsewhere in the system, which doesn't apply to Fedora. The package manager removes those.
macOS applications doesn't put files in random locations, they set up a jail/sandbox which have logical paths. So when an application creates a configuration file in /etc/appname/config, it is actually contained in the application directory. When you delete the .app directory, you delete everything.
>>
>>61436811
I never said it was random. And no, the files are not all deleted after you remove the application. I had a Mac and I had this problem where after about 6 years my hard drive was full despite having only about 40GB of important files. The other 200GB was leftover trash. I had to reinstall the OS. Windows is the same way. OS X also gets hidden files created in the user home folder for certain applications too. Extra files get left in other areas.
>>
>>61436811
wtf I love macOS now
>>
>>61436873
>And no, the files are not all deleted after you remove the application.
They are.

>I had a Mac and I had this problem where after about 6 years my hard drive was full despite having only about 40GB of important files. The other 200GB was leftover trash.
Then you obviously didn't install app bundles (as illustrated by the pic on OP) but rather just standalone applications.

Bundles are contained in a so-called sandbox, so they don't put files around in the system.

>OS X also gets hidden files created in the user home folder for certain applications too.
That's not so common for bundles, but it is common for more generic Unix applications. Anyway, those are obviously not cleaned up, but they aren't by package managers either.
>>
File: 1483106692186.jpg (10KB, 178x237px) Image search: [Google]
1483106692186.jpg
10KB, 178x237px
>>61436063
On Linux
>open terminal
>run pacman -R (name) or whatever your distro command is
>enter password
>done
On Windows
>Run .exe uninstaller
>click uninstall
>click yes
>boom uninstalled
On Mac
>go into fucking file manager
>scout down app folder
>move folder into trashcan
>it uninstalls

Now, which one seems better?
>>
>>61436780

you mentioned the Library directory, which one?

/Library or ~/Library
>>
>>61431222
If typing
sudo apt install gedit
isn't easier for you than moving the mouse, clicking an icon, holding, moving the mouse some more, and releasing the click, you're not experienced enough with a keyboard to be on this board.
>>
>>61436917
Scouting down the app folder is trivial. Either find the app using spotlight or just open /Application or everything is located there unless you chose to install it somewhere else manually.
>>
>>61431222
>unverified application
>have to fiddle with settings
or
>wrong cuckos version
>can only install the latest xcode on the latest version
>change the version string in macos settings.plist file
>it installs and works
epic :^)
>>
>>61436904

>Bundles are contained in a so-called sandbox, so they don't put files around in the system.

No this isn't correct either, app bundles are simply directories with extra attributes to indicate they are app bundles to the Finder. They are not necessarily sandboxed, they can be and in the case of App Store bundles they are but not always.
>>
>>61431222

>Xcode

No.
>>
File: the_macfag.png (885KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
the_macfag.png
885KB, 1280x1024px
>>61436904
Many were installed from bundles, and yes, they do put files all over the fucking place. I've had this problem specifically with Firefox. You can't have normal and dev versions installed at the same time and expect to keep two sets of bookmarks. So no, bundle shit is not sandboxed as you're describing, Macfag.

The saying goes that arguing on the internet is like participating in the special Olympics, even if you win you're retarded. I'm done arguing witj retards.
>>
No? But if you wanted Linux to do that you could make your own installer?
>>
>>61436917
Windows
>>
>>61436982
>I've had this problem specifically with Firefox. You can't have normal and dev versions installed at the same time and expect to keep two sets of bookmarks. So no, bundle shit is not sandboxed as you're describing, Macfag.

That's because Firefox stores its profile in ~/Library (like its allowed and supposed to do) and will use the same profile for both stable and dev.

moreover, you're conflating sandboxing with containers, they are two distinct concepts.
>>
>>61436917
But mac is literally just move the .app from Applications folder to trash though.
>>
>>61431250
post the steps to uninstall visual studio and its 5000 tentacle programs
>>
I actually truly and utterly hate having to do this. You need to download a dmg, find it in finder, mount it, copy the app to your application folder, which sometimes doesn't have the shortcut, unmount the dmg, and only THEN can you use the program. It should just install the damn program when I double click the dmg. Of course Linux is easiest, just use your packages manager, one step and done.
>>
>>61438184
You can run without unmount the dmg though. And dmg is basically iso.
You also don't need to use shortcut, just open spotlight with cmd+space and search it there.
>>
>>61438310
>>61438184
You can also run the program from the mounted dmg if you don't feel like installing it. And instead of dragging it to the shortcut, you can just drag it into finder.
>>
>>61436982
You're just lying.

>I've had this problem specifically with Firefox. You can't have normal and dev versions installed at the same time
Yes you can

>and expect to keep two sets of bookmarks
That's because it looks in the same folder for bookmarks
>>
>>61431222
I'd rather git clone and compile.
>>
>>61431222
It does.
>>
>>61431222
I want iOS to have an apt-get style of installing programs. I know apt and dpkg are ported to it, but it's impossible to install iOS apps that way.
>>
>>61439623
Isn't that how everything from Cydia is installed? So it's possible, just not for stuff only in the App Store.
>>
>>61439639
That's right, but when I tried to dpkg -l | sed 'd/^$/ /g' list of programs and then install them, it didn't work.
>>
>>61434391
>taskbar is on top
Who is this madman?
>>
Android clearly wins here. Play Store, third-party app stores, and downloadable apk installers. Best and simplest options.
>>
*nix package manager are quite good, but thats because it was a necessity rather than optimal because of dependency hell.

>>61431290
>download program
>double click to open up(mount) archived zip/rar
>click next, next, uncheck, next, hmmmm next, next, close
>restart OS

>uninstall a program
>open up uninstall a program options
>click program and uninstall option
>hunt down %appdata% local and roaming folder for remnants of the program
>hunt down documents library for remnants of the program
>also use ccleaner few times to remove the leftover registry files left over
>and restart the computer

Windows has it the worst of all 3, everyone can see that. *nix has it best when it works and worst when it doesn't because dependency hell. Macs is just drag drop app, "mount" is simple opening the archived data dmg/rar/zip/etc.
>>
Windows
>Find correct exe
>Run installer
>Agree to license
>Select features
>Reboot if prompted
>Done
Mac
>Find correct dmg
>Run installer
>Drag program to applications folder
>Done
Linux
>Open terminal
>Package manager install syntax
>Downloads and installs program
>Done
There all easy OP
>>
>>61431222
No
>>
File: we wuz solders n shieet.jpg (57KB, 345x540px) Image search: [Google]
we wuz solders n shieet.jpg
57KB, 345x540px
>>61431222
>2017
>OS X STILL doesn't have a proper application manager
IT JUST WORKS
>>
>>61431873
>not using linux
>>
>>61434516
this
>>
>>61434178
No tits, no knees..
>>
>>61432361
No, why?
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.