[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone use Slackware any more?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: slack.png (79KB, 585x347px) Image search: [Google]
slack.png
79KB, 585x347px
Does anyone use Slackware any more?
>>
>>61426671
Usually the people that use slax aren't the type to start autistically screaming to let you know about it.
>>
File: SWchord2.jpg (15KB, 400x163px) Image search: [Google]
SWchord2.jpg
15KB, 400x163px
>>61426704
They're a different kind of autistic.
>>
>>61426704
Basically Arch people then.
>>
>>61426671
>/g/ used to shitpost about pulseaudio in slackware
>Firefox now requires pulseaudio
>>
I ran slack for a decade before realizing I had better things to do then fix other people's shitty build scripts. Only thing that's made look back to slack was systemd. What a shitty convoluted mess that thing is but, so far it's not as bad as having to debug a huge unfamiliar code base just to get vlc to work.
>>
used slackware for about a week. post-mortem: multilib (wine) was a pain in the arse, couldn't use vaapi to reduce cpu usage watching my chinese cartoons and i realised i was using a year-old release
>>
It's the most stable distro I've ever used.
>>
is it true that you need to resolve dependencies by hand?
that would make it even tougher than gentoo
>>
>>61428244
setting up multilib was literally just downloading a tarbar and then installing everything that was in it
>>
>>61429667
you don't do dependencies in slackware, you just install fucking everything
>>
File: uhmjt77ni7az.png (232KB, 940x788px) Image search: [Google]
uhmjt77ni7az.png
232KB, 940x788px
I use Slackware. I needed something that gave me enough power over my system to satisfy my autism (like Gentoo) but I didn't want to put in any effort to maintain anything.

Dependencies are easy enough. Most 3rd party stuff you'll want is on slackbuilds.org, and all the dependencies for every slackbuild are listed on there. It's more work than is required to install packages on other distros, but it doesn't bother me because I am not constantly going through and adding/removing packages.

Pic related, Slackware turned 24 today.
>>
>>61429718
The default repos, yes, but for third party repos and slackbuilds dependencies are something you need to do.

Most of the major deps that everything uses come by default in the base install, so there usually isn't much you need to go through.
>>
inb4 slakfinder.org
>>
>>61428080
This always confused me. We knew that pulseaudio was going to be a hard dependency on FF. What other functional, free browser is on the market? I mean, seriously. qutebrowser? I need my emacs keybinds!

It's just being pragmatic. It was totally obnoxious that everyone was throwing such a hissy fit on the forums.

>>61428244
I agree that setting up multilib is intimidating if you've never done Slackware before, but if you really want contemporary software, just switch to the current branch.

>>61429725
Did it? That's cool.
>>
I first learned about the Cosby rape trials on alt.slack, and it was just so fantastical, I genuinely thought everyone was just shitposting.

Even now, I think about the raping he's done, and it's just so absurd.

Sometimes I see the Slackware name juxtaposed to the portrait of Bob Dobbs, and I wonder what the connection is--other than the obvious.

Does alienbob browse slack or something? Because I've never seen him there.
>>
how the fuck is it acceptable that pretty much every 3rd party slackware component is maintained by that one dude alienbob or whoever it is? WTF? one guy is supplying all your shit?
>>
>>61431372
He's basically an official unofficial dev for the project.
>>
>>61431404
the dude is literally responsible for everything that's not in the official install. Seriously WTF how is that even possible?
>>
>>61431449
It's a small project.
>>
>>61429667
have fun
>>
>>61431470
That's kind of an exaggeration. In cases like that, the packager will list the dependencies necessary to retain most basic functionality as a required dependency.

Pretty much everything else you aren't going to enable anyway, unless use explicitly need that functionality, in which case, you know what you want and how to get it.
>>
I'm interested in both devian/devuan and Slackware. What can I expect from these if I'm coming from Arch?
>>
>>61432827
A distribution that won't break all the time.
>>
>>61432894
This.

Also, be ready to spend hours installing software. It's manual gentoo.
>>
>>61432894
yeah it doesn't break ALL the time because it comes broken and stays broken.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.