[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do this compare with RPi? im planning to buy this to use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

File: OrangePi.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
OrangePi.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
How do this compare with RPi? im planning to buy this to use as linux learning machine, or probably as small nas (with only 2 TB probably seeing i have some spare HDD)
>>
idk compare specs
>>
>>61425420
Tempted to get this. I want something to act as a Fossil server.
>>
File: comparisonupdate.png (117KB, 1431x530px) Image search: [Google]
comparisonupdate.png
117KB, 1431x530px
>>61425464
found this graph
Im confused because my friends keep telling me that RPi is great for SBC applications (im still new on this and just read on review, had little experience on tinkering with these), but on contrary this graph gives a pretty bad specifications on Raspberry compared to their competitor.
graph is from https://www.loverpi.com/blogs/news/94801153-raspberry-pi-3-banana-pi-m3-orange-pi-plus-2-odroid-c2-spec-comparison
>>
>>61425621
what is Fossil server?
>>
>>61425727
It's a source control system (git alternative) and also an issue tracker and wiki. Very handy. I use it for work and I want a personal one too. I don't want to run it on my desktop because I reboot between OSs a lot, and I don't want to run it on a VPS because my connection is quite high-latency.
>>
>>61425804
>not using git
>>
>>61425804
Personal source control seems neat, but what advantage does it has over git? maybe beside offline access (because it's local)
>>
>>61425994
>also an issue tracker and wiki
Sounds like it's git with github built-in.
>>
>>61425420
Bump for What is the best *pi for a nas?
>>
>>61425706
The reason the RPi is so we'll loves is the massive community support. I've tried a few other sbc's, but the RPi was a much more enjoyable experience. There are also many more options for the Pi in the way of cases, accessories, and other distros.
>>
>>61425994
git is local too, unless you want to pull/push which is not a requirement for it to work (even then you can pull and push to any ssh server, even on local networks).
>>
>>61425420
Wifi is extremely flaky.
>>
>>61425420
You're gonna have a bad time if you want to build NAS on a 100Mbit NIC.
>OPi PC 1 compares to Raspberry Pi 2 almost 1:1.
>With added benefit that the USB bus bandwidth isn't shared with the NIC like Raspberries do.
>OPi PC has heat issues. Under load it will even turn off a core to keep temps under control.
Still a good price for a SBC
>>
>>61425850
Currently I do use git for source, with fossil used for issue tracking and notes. However I do plan to move most source to fossil eventually.

Could you outline the main reasons you prefer git?
>>
>>61426044
Odroid C2
Hefty price though. And an actual NAS is better because RAID
>>
I bought an odroid xu4. Put a passive radiator on it and using it as a seedbox. It's been running 24/7 for about 6 months now no problem. I heard orange pi shits itself often
>>
>>61426820
Orange Pis are sensitive to the quality of the power supply and the microSD card (if equipped). Don't use a shitty charger or micro USB cable and you'll be okay, even with a mediocre microSD card.
It doesn't hurt to add a bit of heat sinking to the SoC, but it isn't strictly necessary.
>>
File: 1478026365369.jpg (176KB, 634x685px) Image search: [Google]
1478026365369.jpg
176KB, 634x685px
>>61426820
>don't buy the $17 board with possible heat issues goy- err anon, buy the $82 board instead! don't worry about the fan noise, i can offer a solution to that little problem, too!
I can't help but feel like every post involving odroid is a shill.
>>
>>61425420
bumping cuz i'm also interested in adquiring one of these.
>>
How's the graphics acceleration on the chink pis? I recall this being a big issue in the past
>>
>>61428372
Assume it has none.
>>
>>61425420
did these retards not realize that an orange pie would taste disgusting before they decided to give it that name?
>>
>>61426820
at that point why not buy a mini PC with an i5 or some shit
>>
>>61428372
2D > 3D

>>61428487
An orange meringue doesn't sound too bad, really.

>>61428614
Goodbye, shill.
>>
File: a.jpg (30KB, 517x256px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
30KB, 517x256px
>>61426820
>I heard orange pi shits itself often
My smol Zero just werks.
>>
Just to hijack because I'm that kind of guy, anyone here use the GPIOs on their opis for anything fun?
>gpio_keys and pushbutton to authorize/deauthorize usb port
>gpio_led externally for status
>>
>>61429408
not really, only made a small script to turn on and off the built-in leds according to the current upload speed since i use mine as a seedbox and vpn mainly
>>
>>61425706
The raspberry pi has worlds better support and is usually cheaper than the other SBCs
>>
>>61425420
I bought one.

Listen here, you dumb fuck. Unless youre an engineer and know how to deal with hardware and understand how to work with random Chinese shit based off their spec sheets with VERY LITTLE community support and complete abdonment by the primary developers then don't bother with it.

Make sure the thing has proper community support otherwise you'll be doing everything from scratch.
>>
>>61429843
>has worlds better support
true
>usually cheaper than the other SBCs
false
>>
>>61426129
Could always use a heatsink though, or just decrease performance a bit to prevent throttling.

There's also the opi pc 2 with the h5 instead of the h3 and gigabit lan. Looks interesting.
>>
>>61426053
>>61429860

fair point, that's my consideration too on RPi seeing orangepi seems to have limited community support, though maybe i should lurk more for it...

>>61429843
in my country Orange pi PC 2 is priced at 30$ meanwhile RPi Zero is 22$, the price of RPi here is so inflated so i've been trying to look for alternative (didn't help that RPi specs seems quite outdated)
>>
>>61430499
>orangepi seems to have limited community support
if you don't plan to do anyting with the gpio pins it's basically the same shit, since both run linux you can easily use or adapt raspi tutorials for the orangepi with minimal linux knowledge
>>
>>61430536
isn't gpio of orange pi same as RPi? or i mistake it for banana?, also iirc Allwinner has that open source problem when i look around information about OrangePi.
i think the community problem is how scarce the people around me know about OrangePi itself, not to mention it's chink and there's this stigma about chinkshits around here
>>
>>61425420
Just buy a lattepanda.
>>
>>61430728
Orange pi pc got great community support, the pc2 seems to be lacking unfortunately...
>>
File: 1473395223149.jpg (84KB, 620x425px) Image search: [Google]
1473395223149.jpg
84KB, 620x425px
>>61430728
>gpio of orange pi same as RPi
The /damnpis/ all have "similar" dual-row connector pinouts, insofar as power rails are "usually" in the same places. Beyond that, GPIO numbers and capabilities often differ between SoCs.
>Allwinner has that open source problem
True, they don't care much about the community because they don't need to when selling in volume, as SoC makers do. It does seem to be customary in the GPU industry to keep details like that closely held, but somehow the rpi guys pried the specs out of Broadcom and whoever, not that VideoCore was anything to write home about. Most of the onboard peripherals and controllers on the Allwinner chips are just IP cores from ARM, and other drivers from other SoCs need no or minimal modification to work with the Allwinner chips. That said, afaict Armbian doesn't need to load any blobs for the opis except for the weird wifi chip on the zero.
I'd really love to find some info on the DDR controllers on the H series because I'd like to build my own boards with them. Alas, that section of their H-series reference manuals is intentionally left blank.
>how scarce the people around me know about OrangePi itself
Not really much to know about it, since there isn't really anything very special about it. It's a series of fair-to-middling breakout boards for a selection of SoCs that run Linux and Android distros competently. The community problem is not just people knowing of the board, but friendly, helpful people knowing about and working with the board and investing time and effort in code and detailed tutorials for the rpis that one can easily reproduce. There are too many variables across the opi line for that. fwiw it took me a good day or two to go from knowing nothing about Linux kernel gpio handling to writing a dynamic device tree overlay for gpio_leds and gpio_keys drivers on the opi0, and the rpi documentation on the analogous feature was essential to understanding it well.
>>
>>61425706
Odroid C2 masterrace!
>>
>>61428095
Odrioid seems like the kind of thing you would choose if you're looking for something in the form-factor of a RPi, you need more beef, and your employer is footing the bill anyways. No way in hell I'd get one for myself.
>>
>>61432038
>masterrace
RPi is British, Odroid C2 is Korean. Do you even know what does "master race" mean?
>>
>>61425420
If you want to get OPi, make sure the firmware is still supported by third party such as Armbian.
>>
i'm working in the embedded linux world, and for what are you searching to do, the raspberry pi is your best solution, especially if you're new to this shit.

That board is made to teach kids about programming. The price is very affordable(40~€ for the RaPi 3 B ) too and you can make many applications with it
>>
>>61426142
>Asking for articulate and factual advice on /g/
Nigga
>>
>>61426129
>>OPi PC has heat issues. Under load it will even turn off a core to keep temps under control.
Run Armbian on it and you won't have those problems.
They use the actual chips stock speeds and voltage instead of the overclock that most distros ship with.

Also, heatsink.
>>
>>61434439
also it comes up with a pre-compilled "Raspbian" linux distro, so you just have to burn it on a sd card.

You don't have to worry about manually compiling your personal linux using yocto/buildroot

Although you must be retard to do such a thing, unless you're working in an industrial sector
>>
>>61426820
>I heard orange pi shits itself often
I can't say I have never had any problems with my oPis but I keep them running for months at a time usually.
>>
>>61425420
Buy it and use it with Armbian. Make sure to use a good power supply.

>>61426044
NanoPi Neo 2 with NAS extension, or the Rock64, since it has USB-C 3.1.

>>61428372
On H3 boards it's good, on A64 or H5 it's absent.

>>61434439
How did you find your job? I want to get into this more after having used it for my BSc thesis and at home for 3 years now.
>>
>>61425420
I got one, still haven't used it because I'm waiting for the display adapter since my screen is VGA and can't connect to it.
I read that it needs better cooling than RPi, so I bought 2 fans and standard RPi heatsinks for it.
>>
>>61426129
Use a good, solid power supply with a good, solid power cable, and you won't have heat problems. Do NOT just grab a charger out of the junk drawer and expect good results.
Adding a heatsink doesn't hurt, either. Pi SoC sinks will do.

>>61434439
Yes, how do people get these sorts of jobs then? No degree but can write a device tree overlay, write a CPU in Verilog, and design digital hardware reasonably well.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1497606021777.jpg (42KB, 795x617px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1497606021777.jpg
42KB, 795x617px
>Order a R Pi for a specific task
>In the meanwhile figure out how to do the task without the Pi

What do I do with it now?
>>
i was contemplating buying a small SBC to use as a NAS but the fact that the pi uses a shared network/usb controller kind of stopped me from doing so.
is there anything cheap that would do a decent job?
>>
>>61425621
Fossil is GOAT

>>61426024
Pretty much. Also has visual representation of checkins/branches and diff through browser based ui. So provides some functionality like SourceTree or Tortoise

Additionally is a 1mb binary with no other dependencies so pretty easy to throw everything on a usb stick and use on multiple pcs.
>>
>>61425706
>friends
leave
now
>>
>>61434507
>On H3 boards it's good, on A64 or H5 it's absent.
So the H5 boards are trash for something like a retrorangepi?
>>
>>61434768
Only the opis with 4 USB host ports have a USB hub on board. The ones with 3 USB host ports have them all directly connected to host controllers on the SoC. Also, Allwinner H-series chips support UASP over USB 2.0, so you can get nearly 40MB/sec each with a UASP-capable USB-SATA bridge.

>>61435020
On ARM, 3D acceleration engines are unrelated to 2D acceleration or H.264 acceleration. I'd still stick with the H3 boards. And not a Zero if you're performance-oriented, those have a narrow RAM bus. It's possible H5s might run the rest of the emulator faster.
>>
>>61428095
Won't it use more electricity if you put a fan on it tho?

Why have tiny computer if not planning on giving it a battery and running around with it?
>>
>>61435060
>And not a Zero if you're performance-oriented, those have a narrow RAM bus. It's possible H5s might run the rest of the emulator faster.
Thank you. I was thinking about getting either the PC or PC2 as they have a decent number of USB ports built-in for a minimum budget emulation brick.
>>
>>61435103
Excellent choice. Cheers m8
>>
>>61434507
>>61434507
i do have some experience but im more interested to install something like xubuntu/other distro on the pi, one of the reason being i can't handle raspbian interface, the other reason is hub and ethernet having same buses,
>>
>>61425706
fyi rpi3 is slowly being supported on android customs
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-rpi
>>
>>61434465
I was running Armbian
>>
ROCK64 ROCKING THROUGH.
Fucking Pine64 though, ROCK64 psu doesn't have an AU option where the Pine64 does.
>>
>>61435885
Then I dunno. I can run my oPi full load on Armbian and it gets to 80C without shutting cores down.
>>
>>61435060
eh, I wanted something kind of fast to access outside of the network, and I have a 100mbps upload so I don't really want to limit myself to 40mpbs, especially considering the price of the opis
>>
>>61436272
Get an oPi Zero and the NAS header.
Attach SATA drive.
Profit.
>>
>>61436368
what kind of transfer speed should I expect if I were to go with oPi zero + NAS header?
>>
>>61436434
Network speed.
>>
>>61426129
I was thinking what OP was thinking but now I'm leaning towards an Intel NUC

>x86 flexibility
>usb 3.0
>gigabit port
>video transcoding, x265 and 4K
>>
>>61436434
It can hit 600Mbit just dumbfiring bits down the line, but it's going to be way less than that in practice because the network chip is on SDIO, and the CPU is slow as shit. Your filesystem and networking protocol choices are going to affect real transfer speed a lot.

An ancient used PC (anything with PCIe) or a bottom end NUC can do much better.
>>
>>61425706

Even though that chart makes Raspberry Pi look bad, it's still way more than enough for most tasks you could consider using it for (especially 3B).

RPi has great support, that's its main selling point. Someone has already solved the problem you're going to have.

If you want more power but still ok support, I suggest Odroid C2. I'm running both of them for various things and am happy with both.
>>
I have an Orange Pi Plus 2.
Its chink shit, there is no support, broken documentation, small community, but hey, better specs than the raspi for the same price!
>>
>>61425420
who cares lol
>>
>>61434715
pls
>>
>>61436434
Either go with Odroid XU4 or just go x86 IMO. Odroid has SATA. x86 has everything.
>>
>>61437733
>It can hit 600Mbit just dumbfiring bits down the line
Yeah. meanwhile the CPU would overflow the barrier of and create a quantum tunnel
>>
>>61425420
better get odroid C2
>>
File: 1500111133327.jpg (241KB, 980x1306px) Image search: [Google]
1500111133327.jpg
241KB, 980x1306px
bannana pi? thoughts anyone
>>
>>61425621
>not running gitlab

lmao
>>
>>61439023
Gitlab:
>extensive dependency list
>recommends dual core CPU
>4GiB memory hard requirement
>5GiB DB space hard requirement
>detailed installation procedure
Fossil:
>self contained 2MiB binary
>very light CPU demands
>uses a few MiB of RAM
>no client/server DB needed
>each repo is a single file including all tickets, wiki pages, etc in a few MiB each
>trivial to install

hmm
>>
>>61425804
>>61425621
Why not just a private repo on http://chiselapp.com/?
>>
File: Hug_the_snakes.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Hug_the_snakes.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>tfw waiting for my opi pc to arrive off the boat from china
>>
>>61425706
>>61425420

Im planning getting a orange Pi plus 2 to install Opensuse and use for normal thing like web browsing, videos and playing some emulators ( snes mostly ), but im wondering if is compatible with a projector, i plan to attach to a projector has a monitor, is that possible?
>>
>>61439778
One, I want it on my local network for latency and security reasons. Otherwise I would use a Digitalocean/vultr VPS.
Two, that site looks very basic and isn't even served over HTTPS. I don't trust it at all.
>>
>>61436272
B is bytes. b is bits. I did mean megabytes per second.
>>
>>61437733
The Ethernet chip is integrated into the CPU. Only the wireless is on sdio.
Intel shill spotted

>>61438275
>community
If you're a maker hipster and need step-by-step instructions and giant babby frameworks to get through the day, opi is probably not for you.

>>61438563
>XU4 has sata
The Allwinner SATA has shit-tier read performance. You're better off with a good USB-SATA bridge.

>>61439851
If your projector does HDMI, then yes, compatible.
See if the +2E is better for your use case. The onboard SATA on the +2 is USB-connected but doesn't support UASP, so a bit slower.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.