[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help me /g/, i am confused. what is the purpose of open-source

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: confused.png (205KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
confused.png
205KB, 505x431px
help me /g/, i am confused. what is the purpose of open-source projects other than to pad one's resume and make one more employable?
>>
>>61414811
>I want software that does X
>guess I'll write some
>if I make it open source maybe I'll find other people who want software that does X that'll send contributions, patches, bug reports...
>and even if I don't, why not, maybe it'll be useful to someone somewhere
>>
>>61414827
then i must deal with users' complaints for software i have written solely for my own use. this is a waste of my time because if i do not respond to these complaints i will seem unprofessional, and this will negatively affect my public image.
>>
>>61414811
Kind of the wikipedia type thing, people enjoy something so they work on it with others

Honestly though I think it's become a bit of a meme for finding a better job. A hr guy I was talking to at a company called their software "open source" and I called him out on not knowing what the fuck it meant. I asked him to describe their development process if it is open source and he couldn't do it.
>>
>>61414811
It's the only way I interact with people.
>>
>>61414847
>then i must deal with users' complaints for software i have written solely for my own use.
You don't have to. You can just put shit on github with a note saying you aren't taking requests, bug reports, or comments of any kind. "Provided as-is with no warranty".
>i do not respond to these complaints i will seem unprofessional
First, not really, plenty of people have their own stuff posted under a free license with a note like that. It's a perfectly common and normal thing to do. Second, if you aren't gonna talk to someone anyway, what do you care what he thinks of you?
>>
>>61414914
think about it from the perspective of a recruiter. it looks better if you take time to respond to your issues, as it is a reflection of how you will perform in the workplace too. it makes you seem like a team player overall, and not doing so will make you seem otherwise.
>>
>>61414847
Just tell them to fork or fuck off.
>>
>>61414941
see
>>61414938
>>
>>61414938
You know what comes before that in a recruiter's mind? "Does this guy have two brain cells to rub together? Can he actually write software like he says he can?" Showing them code shows that you've actually built something, unlike many applicants.

Any team-player concerns are only thought of after he's decided that you aren't some chucklehead who can't fizzbuzz. And with respect to not accepting bug reports or providing support for your open-source software, are easily assuaged by the simple expedient of saying "Well, it's just a personal side project for me, not a full-time job." Also what better way to make him think you're a team player than saying "Well, I really just wrote this for me, and it's not a big professional project or anything, but I wanted to give it to other people because maybe they had the same problem I had." "Gee", thinks the recruiter. "A guy who can provide evidence of his claimed skills with a helpful streak."
>>
>>61415022
well of course. that is the purpose of having open source projects on your portfolio.
>>
>>61414938
If you only care about contributing to projects to impress some recruiter then you might as well become another PR spamming moron that never contributes anything substantial.
>>
>>61415100
that doesn't make any sense. it clearly looks better to have your own projects.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.