[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gentoo Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: gentoo-screen1.jpg (98KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-screen1.jpg
98KB, 640x400px
I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on 4chan and perhaps elsewhere.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.
>>
If this is actually Stallman, I'd like to recommend a book
>>
>3.2.12
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
>>
>>61414472
Stallman wouldn't use 4chan because of google captcha
>>
>>61415154
Legacy captcha doesn't need nonfree JavaScript which is all Stallman cares about. But Stallman doesn't post on 4chan anyways.
>>
Perfectly valid. I use Gentoo and I'm a pretty hardcore freedard.

There's a difference between useable-ness (while still upholding freedom), and being so pedagocically excellent that the FSF can endorse it.

Like, many FSF members use Debian. Debian is good. They know better than to use nonfree software. But that's an incredibly elitist mindset. Even the most well-meaning laymen--by definition--don't know how to prevent themselves from using proprietary software. Thus, the only pedagogically correct operating system--GNU or not GNU--is one that steers the end user in the direction of freedom. That's why they're so anal about the "GNU" part in Gahnoo-slash-linucks.

That's an admittedly authoritarian stance. Personally, I just wish Gentoo would have a clearer policy in terms of free software. I know how to specify free software in make.conf, but it's unsurprising to me how a lot of Gentoo users don't even realise specifying licenses are a thing. I'm pretty sure they don't even mention it in the handbook--or, if they do--they only really gloss over it.

RMS acknowledges Fedora's policy towards free software and respects that. If Gentoo would just do the same, and also lop off the "Linux" part in "Gentoo Linux", making their stance more ambiguous, then they would be good.
>>
File: 2017-03-09-3.18.06_scrot.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-09-3.18.06_scrot.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>
>>61414456
neo /g/ is too stupid and too lazy to use Gentoo on a daily basis, they prefer Arch as an easier alternative or even macOS
>>
>>61415243
>free software
I prefer free (as in free from crazy hippies) licenses only
grep LICENSE /etc/portage/make.conf
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -GPL-3"
>>
Could I get assistance installing gentoo under UEFI? I can't even get the livedvd (the old one nominally with UEFI support) to boot-- it hangs at "loading initial ramdisk."

I can boot some other distro installers properly, and probably install gentoo from there, but I think the UEFI install instructions in the handbook are bogus based on gentoo forum posts and the install will fail to boot the same as the livedvd. However, better instructions weren't provided. Is there an up-to-date guide somewhere?
>>
>>61414456
which desktop environment in this pic
>>
>>61415730
>I can boot some other distro installers properly, and probably install gentoo from there
that's the prefered method as all that is needed for installation is terminal and some basic tools (busybox is fine), but with most other distros live cds/usbs you get a browser as well so you can shitpost while the ganoo system is being build up to the stage where you can just reboot to it and continue shitposting with as little downtime as possible
>>
>>61415801
no de, it's tint2 + openbox
>>
>>61415350
How do you get it to look so sleek compared to the shitty desktop in OP?
>>
>>61415730
I had problems as well, I installed it using systemrescuecd, it's just Gentoo, but at least it properly booted through UEFI on my PC.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.