[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got a Thinkpad X60 from work and wanted to refurb and resell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170716_201913.jpg (4MB, 3126x2074px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170716_201913.jpg
4MB, 3126x2074px
Got a Thinkpad X60 from work and wanted to refurb and resell it. Entered the BIOS and saw this message pop up. How fucked am I?
>>
give it back obama
>>
>>61412355
not sure how bios write protection affects flashing libreboot but with this message I'd give trannyboot a try as having an actual message of being traced is reason enough.
>>
DEFCON 69
>>
Give it back, Tyronne
>>
>>61412452
>trannyboot
I'm never typing that in my search engine
>>
CompuTrace has never been defeated, and if you can't disable it in the BIOS and you see that message it means it's enabled and now it's going to phone home the moment it gets online and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I bought a really sweet Panasonic Toughbook at a pawn shop earlier this year, had CompuTrace enabled on it, I spent a week trying my damnedest to prevent it from working, deleted the files it creates, tried to use firewall rules to block Internet access, absolutely nothing worked and it just kept locking up.

There is no solution for it, never has been, and no hackers give enough of a shit about it to work on defeating it. It's not technically coded into the BIOS so it can't be defeated or stopped by flashing Libreboot or anything similar or any older BIOS files either.

Sorry, OP, it's about as useless as can be if that is enabled.
>>
File: you-must-be-new-here.jpg (44KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
you-must-be-new-here.jpg
44KB, 550x550px
>>61412492
>trannyboot
>searching
>>
>>61412516
>can't be defeated or stopped by flashing Libreboot
I don't think tracing works if you remove the "response code" from bios. In theory you can even change MAC and ID so I need some citiation on your claim.
>>
>>61412577

It's never been beaten, by anyone, anywhere, and unless you can prove it's been beaten then I don't have to prove it hasn't.

Go read up on it, see how nobody has ever stopped it from locking up the hardware and reporting the IP/location/etc info. Sure, you can install an operating system and never used it networked at all but that's kinda stupid - any network connection that exists and can get to the Internet will cause it to send a handful of packets to CompuTrace and on the return it'll lock the fuck up every god damned time. The ports change, the IP addresses change, etc, it's not fucking stupid technology and it's proven for 20 years now to not be defeatable.

But by all means, if you think you've got a solution, go for it and publish a whitepaper on your methodology and gain praise for all of 5 minutes till CompuTrace reads about it, patches it, then laughs in your fucking face about how easy it was to defeat your exploit of it.

I mean really, if you can find one instance of anyone claiming success in preventing CompuTrace from working, I'll PayPal you $20.
>>
>>61412628
you keep on saying things but you didn't provide anything in relation to trannyboot. this isn't about beating tracing, it's just removing the parrot.
>>
File: 51515.jpg (28KB, 352x464px) Image search: [Google]
51515.jpg
28KB, 352x464px
>>61412722
>trannyboot
>removing the parrot
>>
>>61412628
What if you used a USB network card?
>>
>>61412628
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoJack_for_Laptops#Vulnerabilities
PayPal: [email protected]
>>
>>61412355
Just install templeOS and use that until you can figure out what to do. If all else you can pull all the hardware you want from it and take it to a pawn shop. They'll just ask you to do a boot test and then they'll give you like 20 bucks. Sell or use the other bits. I would just give it back though, Jamal.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.