[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why the FUCK is battery, SSD/HDD and RAM replacement not standard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: img_55ff43a800e80.jpg (33KB, 650x300px) Image search: [Google]
img_55ff43a800e80.jpg
33KB, 650x300px
why the FUCK is battery, SSD/HDD and RAM replacement not standard on laptops by now? When will companies learn you can make attractive hardware with removable internals?

Thinkpads and old Macbook Pros are the only ones on the market which are decently built and offer these options.
>>
>>61407655
Because the jew wants you to upgrade anon, not that hard to undersatnd
>>
File: 1430236296498.gif (112KB, 255x231px) Image search: [Google]
1430236296498.gif
112KB, 255x231px
>soldered cmos battery
>soldered ssds
>soldered cpu and gpus
>soldered ram
>>
>>61407655
>not standard on laptops by now?
>by now

It was pretty standard, then apple thinness meme went too far

I recently took apart some shitty HP laptop from 2010 and was a bit surprised to find that it had a socketed CPU.
>>
>>61407706
This is entirely the reason. Now instead of buying a new battery every few years, you have to buy a new laptop entirely every two.
>>
>>61407708
How did they manage to solder the battery?
>>
>>61407708
This is why i think my last option for upgrading from this T420 would be a T440p, everything else fell for the soldered processor meme.
>>
>>61407655
Alot of laptops do have upgradable components but if you want cheap, thin and lightweight then soldered is the way to go.

My laptop 13 inches diagonally, has a celeron n3060, 4gb ddr3 ram with 32gb emmc storage, all if which is soldered on.

But it only cost £200 for the whole thing. Battery changeable though but at 5 months old i can still get 13 hours of use on Win10 (x64)
>>
>>61408145
>but if you want cheap, thin and lightweight then soldered is the way to go
I get that this is currently the case, but if consumers suddenly started caring about utility wouldn't thicker laptops with removable internals be cheaper to produce
>>
>>61408072
Including the later T-series models?
>>
>>61408070
Exactly the same way i soldered my dick to your mom
>>
>Thinkpads and old Macbook Pros are the only ones on the market which are decently built and offer these options.

You fucking moron, I can fix my Latitude E6400 by removing one fucking screw and some HP Elitebooks don't even require that to open the bottom and remove components.

GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE, YOU FUCKING STUPID PERSON.
>>
>>61408145
Currency is the only nice thing in this post, all the other is trash.
>>
>>61409149
yes

iirc the 440p is the last one with a socketed upgradable cpu
>>
>>61409405
Out of curiosity, what do we really /do/ with a upgradable CPU socket anyways? It's not like they even bother releasing better CPUs for the newer laptops...
>>
>>61409447
See the old as fug T400, you can install a $10 extreme core 2 duo x9100 and get something way better than stock. Same with the T420 and installing a quad core while the increase in temperature isn't that high.

Basically squeezing some extra years out of them.
>>
>>61407655
Planned obsolescence.

They dont want you to repair and upgrade small parts, you're supposed to buy a new laptop.
>>
File: sm1491397841317.jpg (786KB, 1181x1181px) Image search: [Google]
sm1491397841317.jpg
786KB, 1181x1181px
>>61407655
>by now?
It was standard for decades. How old are you, 16?

>When will companies learn you can make attractive hardware with removable internals?
They did, they learned it isn't as profitable.

>Thinkpads and old Macbook Pros
No, ChinkPads don't old ThinkPads do, same with old...OLD MacBook Pros.
>>
>>61408070
Spot welding or resin encased battery.
>>
>>61407655
Because it's cheaper so solder these parts on rather than socket them. Buy business class laptops and you'll have exactly those things mentioned, though less and less laptops now have socketed CPUs which is really disappointing. I still use a ThinkPad T400 with Libreboot. It just works.
>>
What laptop has a good gpu and removable components?
>>
File: slate-1_1x.png (511KB, 376x750px) Image search: [Google]
slate-1_1x.png
511KB, 376x750px
>>61407655
>When will companies learn you can make attractive hardware with removable internals?
lol yea ok kid. Just by a new laptop every year like a good goy.
>>
>>61408038
Until you realize EVERYTHING runs off of 18650s and if it doesnt currently then it can easily be modified to run off of them better than whatever shitshow of a battery you currently have.
>>
>>61407655
Because it's all about "muh thin" now.

Soldering everything shaves off 0.5mm and that's what sells these days not upgradability.

Also millennials wouldn't know how to add RAM or replace the battery even if their devices allowed it.
>>
>>61408070
>How did they manage to solder the battery?

I know Apple uses glue.
It's possible to dissolve the glue with chemicals, but you'll make a big mess and obviously void the warranty.
>>
>>61410320
Most batteries right now are screwed and connected to the motherboard via cables. Don't know what are they implying about soldered batteries
>>
>>61407655
>Thinkpads and old Macbook Pros are the only ones on the market which are decently built and offer these options.

>macbook pros
>well built
that's a good one, also way too many fucking screws to change shit on those fuckers. Seriously, if you think macbooks and thinkpads are the only good serviceable machines you're fucking retarded kiddo
>>
>>61407655
Wait when apple did stop soldering Rams ?
>>
>>61407655
based EU will probably soon require that all computers have removable battery, ssd, ram etc

they will claim the reason is that they want to fight global warming, but the real reason is that EU is salty because all cool new technology ranging from Apple to the Interwebs is invented in America

screen cap this you saw it here first
>>
>>61410361
They're dumb and thinking about the normal CMOS CR2032 cells that PCs have.
Laptops don't have those (generally) but instead use the laptop battery.
The amount of power required to maintain the CMOS settings is minuscule so even when the laptop won't turn on because it doesn't have enough power it can trickle enough in for that.
>>
>>61409258
>Currency is the only nice thing in this post, all the other is trash.

Dickhead, Cheaper laptops have worse specs and laptops with worse specs are cheaper.
So yes, the laptop of low specs, but was incredibly cheap to purchase.

>>61408676
The most people have no interest in upgrading laptops and would rather just buy a new one every few years, so they wouldent start caring.

Also laptops with removable internals are actually more expensive to produce which is a reason manufacturers like soldering and consumers prefer thinner and lighter to thick and bulkier so they prefer it as well (even if they dont realize it)
>>
>>61407655
>by now
"anymore", you mean
>>
one of the main reasons I got an inspiron 15 7000
>>
>>61407655
>Macbook Pros are the only ones on the market which are decently built and offer these options.
>soldered RAM
>soldered GPU
>shitty SSDs
WTF is this bait
>>
>>61412692
how about a non-gayming laptop that doesn't cost over $800?
>>
>>61412692
>DELL
>>
>>61411052
>Laptops don't have those (generally) but instead use the laptop battery.
Source: Your ass.
>>
>>61407655
Why would they?

The point of laptops is to be as user-unserviceable as possible so you buy a new one when it breaks, like phones.

There's no market for laptop parts like there is for desktop parts either so they'd lose money trying to set one up.

There's no need for it honestly.
>>
>>61412932
>hownuru.jpg

it wasn't always that way youngin'
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
Im glad I bought a "gaming" laptop last summer when Windows 8.1 was the standard
Everything is upgradeable besides the quad-core intel i7 and 950m
Good enough for CAD and Solidworks on the go and it runs great
Might invest in a 500GB SSD for faster loads and lighter weight
>>
>by now
What a strange choice of wording. We're not making slow progress TOWARD component replacement. We're rapidly moving AWAY from the days when it was commonplace.
>>
>>61412932
>There's no market for laptop parts like there is for desktop parts
There literally is. It's just a smaller market since it excludes a few things like mobos and GPUs. But the market for laptop form factor RAM, HDD/SSD, WiFi antennas, screens, etc. has always been there. It's great for laptops where those things are user serviceable.
>>
>>61407655
dude just buy a new laptop
>>
File: 1395107887680.jpg (89KB, 353x251px) Image search: [Google]
1395107887680.jpg
89KB, 353x251px
>>61410186
>like a good goy
It brings me great joy to see that the goyim are truly waking up. We are not merely cattle for the chosen people and many are realizing this, you are a /g/reat anon.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.