[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Rust SJWs have launched their first public attack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 370
Thread images: 42

File: rustfag.jpg (171KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rustfag.jpg
171KB, 1280x720px
https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/16/death-to-c/

"Death to C, ++"

>Software engineer and TechCrunch columnist Jon Evans writes that the C programming language "gives its users far too much artillery with which to shoot their feet off" and is "no longer suitable for the world which C has built." An anonymous reader shared Evans' post:

>Copious experience has taught us all, the hard way, that it is very difficult, verging on "basically impossible," to write extensive amounts of C code that is not riddled with security holes. As I wrote two years ago, in my first Death To C piece... "Buffer overflows and dangling pointers lead to catastrophic security holes, again and again and again, just like yesteryear, just like all the years of yore. We cannot afford its gargantuan, gaping security blind spots any more. It's long past time to retire and replace it with another language.

>"The trouble is, most modern languages don't even try to replace C... They're not good at the thing C does best: getting down to the bare metal and working at mach speed." Today I am seriously suggesting that when engineers refactor existing C code, especially parsers and other input handlers, they replace it -- slowly, bit by bit -- with Rust... we are only going to dig ourselves out of our giant collective security hole iteratively, one shovelful of better code and better tooling at a time."

>He also suggests other fixes -- like using a language-theoretic approach which conceptualizes valid inputs as their own formal language, and formal verification of the correctness of algorithms. But he still insists that "C has become a monster" -- and that we must start replacing it with Rust.
>>
>>61406655
How do we oust these rats from the industry? They're going to ruin everything good that better men built before them. It's the same shit with front end frameworks getting worse and worse with the excuse that it's somehow easier to use, with a new one coming out every 6 months. It's just a big pile of shit and they won't stop.
>>
Rust doesn't make programming safer it makes it worse by fooling the programmer into thinking their code is "safe" by default. As a result the quality of the software ecosystem takes a nosedive and everything turns to shit.
Thanks mozilla, you truly make programming worse that it was 10 years ago.
>>
>>61406717
You pretty much have to call out their real agenda to oust them, put up public warnings about this organisation that's funded by Mozilla who are funded by the macarthur foundation, who in turn funds most SJW shit.
>>
Can someone explain in non-programmer retard terms why Rust is supposedly better than C according to its developers?
>>
>>61406768
BECAUSE SAFETY
OH MY GOD SAFETY
HAVE WE MENTIONED SAFETY???

They have an affine type systems that they think solves every problem they can encounter. Except it doesn't so they label problems that can't be solved within their socially just framework "unsafe".

It's basically a safe space for coding.
>>
>>61406768
Don't hate the player, hate the game.
>>
>>61406768
it's not, the only reason they shill it is to create vendor lock in for their garbage language that no one cares about.
it's literally the way microsoft made themselves persist to this day.
>developers developers developers developers
is now
>type-saftey type-saftey type-saftey type-saftey
>>
>>61406720
Except it does make programming safer, tell me more about how it doesnt.

>>61406832
How is it a garbage language exactly?

>>61406750
There's no actual SJW agenda, and even if it were the case Rust is an objectively superior language to C and C++.
>>
>>61406655
This seems all true.

Now, I am of the opinion that rust is a shit replacement, which is why I still use C for these tasks. But the point that C is a time bomb we need to get rid of as soon as possible is well taken.
>>
>>61406655
Actually, C++ needs to die a quick death
>>
>>61406878
>There's no actual SJW agenda
The throbbing CoC on your front page disagrees.

Mozilla is a SJW organisation.

C++1x is superior to your faggot language, and most professionals agree. C++20 will destroy any hope of you ever catching up once concepts kick in.
>>
>>61406832
>vendor lock in
Do you actually know what that means, you dumb fucking retard?
>>
>>61406905
C++17 is still C++, and it's the worst language I've ever worked with.
C++ is just plain garbage. It even makes Java look good.
>>
>>61406878
show me how your code is safer in rust compared to in C. it's the claim the rust people have yet to actually substantiate in any reasonable way.
>>61406923
Absolutely, I work at Microsoft after all.
>>
>>61406905
>C++1x is superior to your faggot language, and most professionals agree. C++20 will destroy any hope of you ever catching up once concepts kick in.
I see this supposed C++ version that "fixes the world" but I don't see it deliver anything substantial
>>
>>61406942
So microsoft is shilling visual C++
No wonder there
>>
>>61406905
>The throbbing CoC on your front page disagrees.

The fact the official community venues have a CoC in place does absolutely nothing.

You can create your own Rust community where everyone insults eachothers and circle jerk, nothing is stopping you from that.

>Mozilla is a SJW organisation.

That is true, but the majority of people working on Rust are not employed by Mozilla, so it has no effect.

>C++1x is superior to your faggot language, and most professionals agree.

You mean people with a superiority complex who have invested decades of their lives on an abomination think their language of choice is superior? Really surprising.

>C++20 will destroy any hope of you ever catching up once concepts kick in.

That was said about C++11, and C++14, and C++17, call me back when modules, concepts and the various other billion TS we've been waiting for are there. Some blog posts about it was posted a couple days ago, a lot of shit won't make it into C++20.

Besides, C++ is broken at the core, they can't provide any kind of actual enforced and formally proven safety.
>>
>>61406942
15 rupees have been deposited to your microsoft shilling campaign, rakesh
>>
>>61406942
>show me how your code is safer in rust compared to in C. it's the claim the rust people have yet to actually substantiate in any reasonable way.

There are many projects written in Rust that are superior to their C counterpart, just look those up.

And the safety claim comes from formal verification of the core features of the language and the concept of extensible safety, just look up the RustBelt paper that was released last week, assuming you can actually read a research paper on the matter.
>>
>>61406967
"C++XY will change everything !!11!!1!!" is like saying "20XY is the year of linux desktop "
>>
>>61406984
But C++11 literally changed everything and killed any hopes D had for example
>>
File: 1488794529873.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1488794529873.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>61406942
Ooooh, now I get it. You are shilling C++ because you want people to use your spyware compiler.

Pathetic
>>
>>61406982
Name 3.
>>
>>61407007
But D had no point in the first place, and pretty much killed itself with the Phobos and whatever the name of the other standard libary was.

C++11 didn't kill D, D killed itself.

That aside, Rust is a completely different beast from D and has a completely different set of objectives.
>>
File: 1498966480903.png (87KB, 975x522px) Image search: [Google]
1498966480903.png
87KB, 975x522px
>>61407007
Still no modules
>>
>>61406982
Telling other people to do the hard work for you isn't how you convince them you're right. You ever wonder why no one takes rust seriously? Look at that post, that's why. Rust will never amount to anything because it's purely an ideological language with no technical gains. No one will spend 30 million dollars to port a large code base to rust because "safety". Yell louder you'll only alienate people who used to be on your side.
>>
>>61407028
C++ has 2 standard libraries too. D got killed because no one gave a shit about improving its GC
>>
>>61406655
there's nothing related to social justice in this article. are you okay /pol/friend?
>>
>>61406942
>show me how your code is safer in rust compared to in C
As long as you don't explicitly use the unsafe constructions in rust, a bug can never lead to arbitrary code execution, because the language runtime is invulnerable to programmer error. This is true for most languages more recent than C++, and it's NOT true for C and C++. There are other security problems that can happen because of a bug, of course; but this particularly dangerous class of security problems is absent entirely.
>>
>>61407007
The only reason C++ is still more alive than D is because Microsoft actively shills C++
>>
>>61407052
He's just shilling Microsoft visual c pee pee
>>
>>61406982
>There are many projects written in Rust that are superior to their C counterpart
Name just one, SJW.
>>
>>61407068
Not him, look up ripgrep as a small example
>>
>>61407068
le es jay double-(you) xD
>>
The funny thing is we KNOW why you're pushing Rust. It's not about the ugly language but the social agenda behind it. You don't really hide it well.

I'll stick to C++ and Go, those work fine for my application. Enjoy your dead on arrival language.
>>
>>61407030
That's a good thing. Not having modules is one of the strengths of C and C++ over most more recent languages. Modules a shit.
>>
>>61407024
Name 3 what? Libraries? Self contained programs? Kernels? Systems used in the industry?

All of those exist in Rust, I have a job writing Rust and I'm not being paid by Mozilla.

>>61407043
>You ever wonder why no one takes rust seriously? Look at that post, that's why.

If people decide the technologies to use based on what some people in the community say, then they're just retarded.

>Rust will never amount to anything because it's purely an ideological language with no technical gains.

This is just false.

>No one will spend 30 million dollars to port a large code base to rust because "safety".

I wouldn't either, the people calling for rewriting everything in Rust are just retarded, doesn't mean you have to write new things in C or C++ because that's all you know.

>Yell louder you'll only alienate people who used to be on your side.

I don't give a shit about either, I pick technology objectively.

>>61407068
>SJW
If only you knew who I am.
>>
>>61407055
>As long as you don't explicitly use the unsafe constructions in rust, a bug can never lead to arbitrary code execution, because the language runtime is invulnerable to programmer error.

This is a dangerously arrogant assumption that WILL lead to RCEs. Anyone that seriously believes this needs to be shot in the head for being braindead retarded.
>>
File: 1498408261711.jpg (128KB, 600x1005px) Image search: [Google]
1498408261711.jpg
128KB, 600x1005px
>C++
>>
You know what C has that Rust doesn't? First class support in every BSD.
>>
>>61407085
>Modules a shit
And grapes are sour
>>
>>61407061
I don't think he is. I think he's just trying to fight political battles under the disguise of discussing programming which is pretty retarded but I don't really care as long as it stays on /pol/
>>
>>61407084
>C++
>Go
I think you are dumber than webdevs
>>
File: CyutxHoVIAELF5y.jpg (115KB, 953x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CyutxHoVIAELF5y.jpg
115KB, 953x1200px
>>61407080
>xD
Nice work pledditor! You are fitting in with your sarcasm, I'll totally cut off my balls now and use Rust.

>>61407030
Modules are a cancer. I'm glad C++ doesn't have them and oppose any motion to integrate this shitty thing into it. I prefer to have freedom to tool my builds the way I want to.
>>
>>61407056
No, it's because C++ started catching up and now there is no reason to give up years of backwards compatibility.
>>
>>61407109
No him, but OP clearly admitted that he's working for Microsoft. Microsoft wants people to stay off safety and use their spyware vendor lock in C++ compiler
>>
File: rust-sjw.jpg (62KB, 480x268px) Image search: [Google]
rust-sjw.jpg
62KB, 480x268px
>>61407090
>If only you knew who I am.
Edgy
>>
>>61407117
>CyutxHoVIAELF5y.jpg
Nice plebbit image, plebbittor
>>
>>61407131
I'm not the guy you're replying to, but sometimes it's really hard to resist throwing that in when you're actually an authority on the topic but have to keep your identity down low for various reasons.
>>
>>61407117
>I prefer to have freedom to tool my builds the way I want to.
Modules have nothing to do with that you fucking autist
>>
>>61407091
Don't be dense. You'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in most other post-C++ languages either -- excepting components written in unsafe languages, of course.
>>
>>61407085
Are you implying headers and stringly macros/inclusion is a good thing? You must have hit your head as a young child.

>>61407091
>This is a dangerously arrogant assumption that WILL lead to RCEs.

I don't think you know how that works anon.

>Anyone that seriously believes this needs to be shot in the head for being braindead retarded.

It's literally immpossible to get any kind of memory unsafety if no `unsafe` is used. Literally. Impossible. The program won't even compile.

That is proven, the area of research for formally proving Rust is safe is about the fact that you can wrap unsafety in a safe abstraction. And many of the standard library types that do that have been formally proven to be correct.

Read up on RustBelt and the proof framework they worked on. There's a bunch of Coq code you can run yourself to see it formally proven before your eyes.

>>61407131
I meant for the SJW claim not in the "I'm a super duper dude and so important lmao" way, I'm the opposite of that, I actually had to fight them.
>>
>>61407131
Nice argument, microsoft shill
>>
File: tumblr_lya9ic9Fjq1qbue5mo1_400.png (182KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lya9ic9Fjq1qbue5mo1_400.png
182KB, 400x300px
>>61406655
>C programmers
>>
>>61407090
>do you know who I am?
an arrogant narcissist asswipe?
>>
>>61407125
>C++ started catching up
It'll always be 15 years behind better languages, according to Scott Mayers
>>
>>61407102
kek
>>
>>61407168
>Resorts to name calling
Who knew
>>
>>61407168
Nope, it's easy to yell SJW when you don't know who someone is, what I meant is that if you knew who I was, then you wouldn't yell SJW. Learn to read.
>>
File: 1469827313908.jpg (30KB, 581x422px) Image search: [Google]
1469827313908.jpg
30KB, 581x422px
>>61407127
>No him, but OP clearly admitted that he's working for Microsoft
This is another thing both Rust advocates (SJWs) and systemd enforcers (SJWs) do. Accuse their detractors of working for Microsoft or the NSA.

But this socially just miscreant goes a step further stating that OP ADMITTED to working for Microsoft, just because he linked and pasted an article.
>>
C++ killed programming back in the 80's
>>
File: rust.png (30KB, 639x275px) Image search: [Google]
rust.png
30KB, 639x275px
But Rust sucks.
>>
>>61407194
>Accuse their detractors of working for Microsoft or the NSA.
see >>61406942
Fucking idiot

You DO realize, Microsoft pretty much owns C++ now right? Even the de-facto C++ book requires that you use Windows
>>
As a transgender person of color that wants to be a programmer I can see now why rust won't be a language I'll ever consider using. Too much ego, politics and drama, not enough programming.
>>
>>61407194
He's not working for Microsoft? What do you mean?
>>
>>61407207
That's not OP you fucking nigger
>>
>>61407198
Maybe for people who care more about masturbating over languages than actually getting shit done.
That's why C++ is so hated here, because it's the language of choice for people who just want results (and actually achieve them too!)
>>
>>61407226
>n-not him
Clockwork
>>
File: 4thEnglish.jpg (50KB, 591x722px) Image search: [Google]
4thEnglish.jpg
50KB, 591x722px
>>61407207
>Even the de-facto C++ book requires that you use Windows
Wow this is some raw sewage right here. I've never heard bigger bullshit than this.

Which page requires you to use Windows?
>>
File: 1491081808903.jpg (56KB, 945x482px) Image search: [Google]
1491081808903.jpg
56KB, 945x482px
>>61407228
>actually getting shit done.
In that case you would be using python or Java. Stop deluding yourself, pajeet
>>
If Rust is so good, why doesn't anyone run its OS, Redox? Timestamped screenshot now
>>
>>61407246
OH BOY HERE WE GO AGAIN
>>
>>61407249
>every language is going down
this doesn't make any fucking sense.
>>
>>61407273
Language monopoly does not exist anymore, newer languages are catching up and taking up the share
>>
>>61407250
Because Redox is a meme, if C++ is so good why aren't you using Windows?
>>
>>61407272
>visual studio
It's been that way all along. Bjarno was paid by microsoft to shill their botnet compiler
>>
>>61407272
>my favorite unremarkable text book is the standard guise
>>
>>61407185
>acts like a shithead
>gets called out for being a shithead to others
>THESE PEOPLE THEY'RE OPPRESSING ME
rust ecosystem in a nuttshell
>>
>>61407272
>Programming Principles and Practice using C++
>Not the actual C++ book by its author
Go fuck yourself SJW liar.
>>
>>61407310
YOU are the one who showed me that book you fucking dipshit
>>
I'd rather sit at the gas valve in Auschwitz than code a single line of C++. This thing transcendents any crime against humanity ever committed.
>>
>>61407322
>actual C++ book by its author
That's the actual C++ book, by it's author
>>
>>61407272
>Appendix C on how to use it with windows
>At the back of the book
>Required to use it
Wow Rust coders can't even read, no wonder they need safety so much.
>>
>>61407312
>>acts like a shithead
So basically OP?
>>
>>61407333
No that's not the actual C++ book, it's a book that is meant to compliment it and dumb it down for people.

The official C++ book is "The C++ programming language", 4th edition.
>>
>>61407296
>Because Redox is a meme
But you people claimed it was going to solve Linux's problems, and become better than it, from the get go. There is no backpeddling from that statement.
>>
>>61407146
>you'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in php
>you'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in java
>you'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in ruby
>you'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in python
>you'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in javascript
rust people in charge of saftey everyone.
>>
>>61407338
>>At the back of the book
>>Required to use it
>AT THE END OF THE BOOK

YOU FUCKING MICROSHILL STOP LYING RIGHT FUCKING NOW
>>
File: 1499981005324.jpg (238KB, 850x1172px) Image search: [Google]
1499981005324.jpg
238KB, 850x1172px
>>61407340
It's interesting you're so triggered by OP when all he did was quote your own shitty article.

Cry harder Rustfag

>>61407330
I'd rather get fucked in the ass before I write a single line of Rust.
>>
>>61407361
>it's a book that is meant to compliment it and dumb it down for people.
So basically C++ users? Got it
>>
>>61407385
>I'd rather get fucked in the ass
>Anime
I am not surprised actually
>>
>>61407365
>/g/ is a single person
>Rust programmers are a single person

Anon, pls.
>>
>>61407377
kek, Microsoft has been brainwashing C++ pajeets from an early stage
>>
>>61406655
This shit is insane.

They want a language as fast as C, but they want it to simultaneously be completely bulletproof, as well. They don't seem to understand that the lack of safeties is what makes C good at what it does.
>>
>what's worse than social justice warriors?

I'm not sure, but the alt-right /pol/ gamergate fuckers are just as annoying
>>
I just showed this thread as a reason not to adopt rust for one of our long term IoT related projects.
It worked.
>>
>>61407365
Redox is flat out THE BEST operating system ever written and it's primarily because it was written from scratch in Rust.

It literally never crashes.

Redox is going to kill Linux soon
>>
>>61407434
Redox vs TempleOS
go!
>>
>>61407420
Well of course, what C is good for is producing insecure software, so no wonder Rust sucks at that.
>>
>>61407385
>I'd rather get fucked in the ass
>defends C++

Wouldn't be a new experience
>>
>>61407424
>I base my political opinion on how annoying fringe group is.

18+, this website is 18+
>>
>>61407375
>you'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in php
>you'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in java
>you'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in ruby
>you'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in python
>you'll notice that RCEs are in fact not possible in javascript
Yes, that is exactly correct. These languages all have a handful of mechanisms that DO risk RCE, such as custom classloaders, include statements, or eval statements; but as long as you stay away from that short list of mechanisms marked DANGEROUS, RCE is not possible in these languages.

Buggy modules or interpreters written in C excepted, of course. That would be an RCE in the C code that you can access from the PHP program, not an RCE in the PHP code.
>>
>>61407432
>I showed a 4chen thread xD
It did work
>>
>>61407432
It's pretty easy when the Rustfags come in with their flat out lies, misinformation and deflections.

I passed this thread to someone who hasn't heard of Rust before, he is not very impressed.
>>
I hate C++ anyway
>>
>>61407439
TempleOS is less of a meme than Redox somehow, I have no idea how they managed to do that.
>>
>>61407434
Where is the screenshot? What browser are you posting from? That's what I thought - you're a joke, Rust is a joke.
>>
>>61407432
>>61407461
What are the odds that these are lies?
hmm
>>
>>61407443
It's actually impossible to write software that doesn't have undefined behaviour in Rust since it doesn't have a standard. Basically, writing in Rust is equivalent of writing something in your own language, writing a bug-ridden interpreter and just hoping that it works on your particular machine with particular environment set-up. Rust is a joke.
>>
>>61407461
>It's pretty easy when the Rustfags come in with their flat out lies, misinformation and deflections.

Bundling everyone together is not a good idea.

>I passed this thread to someone who hasn't heard of Rust before, he is not very impressed.

I'm happy about that, if someone takes their information from 4chan or retarded blog posts instead of doing their own research I'd rather not have to depend on something written by them.
>>
>>61407496
>Rust since it doesn't have a standard
I think you mean C++, it has two standards
>>
>>61407449
reminder that gamergatefags are cancer
>>
>>61407449
I never said anything about my political opinions. Fuck off back to kotakuinaction
>>
>>61407496
The whole undefined behavior business completely lays in some of the unsafe details in the language.

The difference in undefined behavior in Rust compared to C is the same between someone who never sucked a dick and you.
>>
>>61407468
nobody is working on redox

templeos at least has terry
>>
File: 1484699914718.jpg (993KB, 1182x1581px) Image search: [Google]
1484699914718.jpg
993KB, 1182x1581px
>>61406655
>Death to C++
Sign me up, OP
>>
>>61407485
C++ babies can't handle that Rust has:

a) The best type system ever created.
b) Safety that C++ cannot achieve because of fundamental design decision made early on.
c) Same or better expressive power than C++
d) Better killer apps, including Redox and soon Firefox
e) A warm welcoming community that isn't filled with assholes thanks to enforced community standards
f) Growing interest and libraries
g) In most cases, better or equal performance to C++

C++ is literally obsoleted by Rust, how does that make you feel you fucking dinosaurs.
>>
>>61407542
Terry is no one
>>
>>61407377
>This book is aimed at beginners taking a programming course and people learning C++ as self study.

Bjarne commentary on his page about: Principles and Practice Using C++

>an exhaustive description of the C++ Programming language, its standard library, and fundamental techniques for experienced programmers

Bjarne commentary about The C++ Programming Language.

I know reading can be hard sometimes, but I am here to help, feel free to ask me anything.
>>
>>61407568
>A warm welcoming community that isn't filled with assholes
>rust
pick one
>>
>>61407595
>I know reading can be hard sometimes,
Especially if you are using reddit spaces so often
>>
>>61407568
>a) The best type system ever created.

False, better type system than C++, but it's still lacking a lot of stuff, like existential types, dependent types, higher kinded types and some kind of specialization.

Some of them are being worked on, but it's nowhere near the best.

>b) Safety that C++ cannot achieve because of fundamental design decision made early on.

This is completely true.

>c) Same or better expressive power than C++

This is mostly true, teplates still allow much more magic than what you can achieve with Rust.

>d) Better killer apps, including Redox and soon Firefox

This is irrelevant.

>e) A warm welcoming community that isn't filled with assholes thanks to enforced community standards

This is irrelevant.

>f) Growing interest and libraries

Same applies to C++ caused by the incoming C++17, that's what always happens with C++, each new version you get growing interest, then people realize it's still shit and go back to whatever they were doing.

>g) In most cases, better or equal performance to C++

This is true.
>>
>>61407568
But Javascript does all of those better. Let's rewrite Rust in Javascript.
>>
>>61407603
It's even harder if you require a language that enforces safety. Your point has been defeated Rust liar
>>
>>61406982
>>61407055
>>61407090
>Show me an example of Rust being safer and better than C
>JUST LOOK THEM UP
>How about you give an example
>THERE ARE SO MANY THOUGH
rustfags, everybody.
>>
>>61407638
>Rust too hard for sepples babby
who knew
>>
>>61407652
>>Show me an example of Rust being safer and better than C
Noit him, I gave you an example 5 minutes ago. How did Microsoft barinwash you so badly?
>>
>>61407652
I have better things to do than go around fetching links when you can do it yourself if you're interested.

And since you clearly aren't I'm not going to waste that time.

>>61407654
That's actually true, coming from C or C++ to Rust is fairly traumatic because the compiler tells you that you're retarded over and over and over, and they get offended, "I must be smarts since I can use this complex abomination, stop telling I'm doing it wrong".
>>
Being really good at C++ is like being really good at using rocks to sharpen sticks. – Thant Tessman
Arguing that Java is better than C++ is like arguing that grasshoppers taste better than tree bark. – Thant Tessman
There are only two things wrong with C++: The initial concept and the implementation. – Bertrand Meyer
C++ has its place in the history of programming languages. Just as Caligula has his place in the history of the Roman Empire. – Robert Firth
C++ is history repeated as tragedy. Java is history repeated as farce. – Scott McKay
C++ is like jamming a helicopter inside a Miata and expecting some sort of improvement. – Drew Olbrich
C++ is the only current language making COBOL look good. – Bertrand Meyer
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg. – Bjarne Stroustrup
C++: Simula in wolf’s clothing. – Bjarne Stroustrup
C++ will do for C what Algol-68 did for Algol. – David L Jones
Historically, languages designed for other people to use have been bad: Cobol, PL/I, Pascal, Ada, C++. The good languages have been those that were designed for their own creators: C, Perl, Smalltalk, Lisp. – Paul Graham
I consider C++ the most significant technical hazard to the survival of your project and do so without apologies. – Alistair Cockburn
If C++ has taught me one thing, it’s this: Just because the system is consistent doesn’t mean it’s not the work of Satan. – Andrew Plotkin
If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor and when was the last time you needed one? – Tom Cargill
>>
I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind. – Alan Kay
It has been discovered that C++ provides a remarkable facility for concealing the trival details of a program – such as where its bugs are. – David Keppel
Java is, in many ways, C++–. – Michael Feldman
Java, the best argument for Smalltalk since C++. – Frank Winkler
PL/I and Ada started out with all the bloat, were very daunting languages, and got bad reputations (deservedly). C++ has shown that if you slowly bloat up a language over a period of years, people don’t seem to mind as much. – James Hague
The last good thing written in C++ was the Pachelbel Canon. – Jerry Olson
To me C++ seems to be a language that has sacrificed orthogonality and elegance for random expediency. – Meilir Page-Jones
Whenever the C++ language designers had two competing ideas as to how they should solve some problem, they said, “OK, we’ll do them both”. So the language is too baroque for my taste. – Donald E Knuth
Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get out. – Bjarne Stroustrup
{Major-Willard} C++ damages the brain … – EWD
C++ is the best example of second-system effect since OS/360. – Henry Spencer
C++ is an insult to the human brain – Niklaus Wirth
All new features added to C++ are intended to fix previously new features added to C++ – David Jameson
C++: glacial compiles, insane complexity, impenetrable errors, laughable cross-platform compat, basically useless tools. – Aaron Boodman
Life is too long to know C++ well. – Erik Naggum
>>
>>61407697
>rustfags dump quotes from other people instead of thinking for themselves
literally pajeet tier.
>>
>>61407726
If you like C++, you don’t know C++. There’s a mutual exclusion going on here, and I’ve yet to see a counter-example other than possibly a few of the members of the standards committee. – ssylvan in reddit.
*Oh, definitely. C++ may not be the worst programming language ever created, but without a doubt it’s the worst ever to be taken seriously. – Mason Wheeler
C++ is to C as Lung Cancer is to Lung.
I think maybe the guy who invented C++ doesn’t know the difference between increment and excrement. – smcameron
C++ is more of a rube-goldberg type thing full of high-voltages, large chain-driven gears, sharp edges, exploding widgets, and spots to get your fingers crushed. And because of it’s complexity many (if not most) of it’s users don’t know how it works, and can’t tell ahead of time what’s going to cause them to loose an arm. – Grant Edwards
C++: an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog. – Steve Taylor
I believe C++ instills fear in programmers, fear that the interaction of some details causes unpredictable results. Its unmanageable complexity has spawned more fear-preventing tools than any other language, but the solution should have been to create and use a language that does not overload the whole goddamn human. – Erik Naggum
>>
>>61407568
>a) The best type system ever created.
I disagree, it's mostly a rehash of ADA and that didn't really take off. I'd argue LISP's untyped system is superior.
>b) Safety that C++ cannot achieve because of fundamental design decision made early on.
More like safety that doesn't exist in Rust because it allows "unsafe" constructs if you beg it, while C++ will let you write whatever you want without doing an extra song and dance. Irrelevant point, C++ is as safe as you're willing to let it be.
>c) Same or better expressive power than C++
This is bullshit, TMP and the superior STL, rvalue syntax, template type reduction is more expressive than Rust's immature template system.
>d) Better killer apps, including Redox and soon Firefox
I hope you're joking.
>e) A warm welcoming community that isn't filled with assholes thanks to enforced community standards
Only if you like a big throbbing CoC up your ass
>f) Growing interest and libraries
Not true, the only people posting about Rust are rust shills, it's artificially propped up.
>g) In most cases, better or equal performance to C++
Not really. It can get equal performance because it uses a lot of shared code with existing compilers like clang and uses llvm as a backend. But most of the high performance computing is done in C++ and/or Fortran. Rust sits just below.

C++ is still evolving and with each revision becomes a better language, borrowing ideas from all the other languages around it.
>>
>>61407420
the overhead from some of these checks isn't much, but C programmers won't use any modern compiler features or analysis because muh fast
>>
I may be biased, but I tend to find a much lower tendency among female programmers to be dishonest about their skills, and thus do not say they know C++ when they are smart enough to realize that that would be a lie for all but perhaps 5 people on this planet. – Erik Naggum
C++ is a language strongly optimized for liars and people who go by guesswork and ignorance. – Erik Naggum
c++ is a pile of crap. – Theo de Raadt
With C++, it’s possible to make code that isn’t understandable by anyone, with C, this is very hard. – Mike Abrash
Whenever I solve a difficult problem with C++, I feel like I’ve won a bar fight. – Michael Fogus
C is C++ without the BS. – SocialPhatology
[keeping somebody] from using C++ makes me feel like I saved a life – aiju
C++ is probably the only language where the error [message] can be longer than the program – aiju
>>
>>61406655
The problem is not C. The problem is two fold.

1) Software engineering is not a formal professional field with strict entry requirements like civil or aeronautical engineering.

2) The world needs more formally trained, high IQ software engineers than are available. This is aggravated by the mass of "programmers" who drag down wages but can't possibly code to the quality level needed for secure systems. If you have a high IQ and the money required to choose any field, you are simply a fool if you choose anything related to computer science or engineering. You can make far more in medicine, finance, a real engineering field, etc.

Magic languages are not going to solve security OR productivity issues.
>>
>>61407741
>C++ is still evolving
C++ is dying, like perl did
>>
>>61407770
/thread
>>
>>61407697
>C++ will do for C what Algol-68 did for Algol. – David L Jones
just curious, what did Algol-68 do for Algol?

>Historically, languages designed for other people to use have been bad: Cobol, PL/I, Pascal, Ada, C++. The good languages have been those that were designed for their own creators: C, Perl, Smalltalk, Lisp. – Paul Graham
This is wrong, PL/I and Ada are great languages, in fact Ada is a safer and better language than Rust
>>
>>61407676
>i gave you
I just came into this thread.

>>61407689
>I won't justify my claims with anything, that's your problem!
Burden of proof, retard.
>>
>>61407791
>what did Algol-68 do for Algol?
Made a very bad impression on ALGOL
>>
>>61407797
>I just came into this thread.
sure, you *just came* to the thread and joined shitposting
>>
i know nothing of programming, why is c++ bad?
>>
>>61407740
>C++ is to C as Lung Cancer is to Lung.
kek
>>
The problem with rust isn't just the language, it's also the people that use the language.
>>
>>61407809
You are correct.
>>
>>61407697
>>61407721
>>61407740
>>61407762
>let me quote everyone too dumb or lazy to use C/C++ properly
>TAKE THAT C FAGS!
>>
File: 1497305697332.png (40KB, 1620x774px) Image search: [Google]
1497305697332.png
40KB, 1620x774px
>>61407740
>C++: an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog. – Steve Taylor
>>
>>61407741
>I disagree, it's mostly a rehash of ADA and that didn't really take off. I'd argue LISP's untyped system is superior.

>a better type system is no type system
Really deep anon, also very retarded.

>Irrelevant point, C++ is as safe as you're willing to let it be.

The point is not that people are unwilling, it's that they always make mistakes, and it's not because they're stupid or anything, it just happens.

Also if you actually want safety in C++ you *HAVE* to get a hit at runtime, which doesn't happe in Rust.

>This is bullshit, TMP and the superior STL, rvalue syntax, template type reduction is more expressive than Rust's immature template system.

Rust has no template system, because templates are retarded. I agree tho, C++ is way more expressive if you use enough dark magic.

>Not really. It can get equal performance because it uses a lot of shared code with existing compilers like clang and uses llvm as a backend. But most of the high performance computing is done in C++ and/or Fortran. Rust sits just below.

This is false, Rust exceeds C++ most of the time because its zero cost abstractions just compile to better code than what C++ compilers can do, it's a limitation in the language itself.

Rust performance is in the same ballpark as C a lot of the time.
>>
>>61407782
>C++ is dying
No, not true. It's still growing, it's just that there's a lot more programmers entering the field and they're all using Python.

>>61407762
>I may be biased, but I tend to find a much lower tendency among female programmers to be dishonest about their skills, and thus do not say they know C++ when they are smart enough to realize that that would be a lie for all but perhaps 5 people on this planet. – Erik Naggum
And the Rustfag reveals his agenda.
>>
>>61406905
> C++20 will finally fix all our problems! Concepts will get in this time! Or at least modules...
>>
>>61407834
>Donald E Knuth
>Too dumb to use C++
what could possible this anon be meaning by this?
>>
>>61407797
Looking for links is not a burden of proof, it's literally a search engine request away without having to dig through the 8th page to find it.
>>
>>61407740
Wow what a bunch of assholes
>>
>>61407721
>PL/I and Ada started out with all the bloat, were very daunting languages, and got bad reputations (deservedly). C++ has shown that if you slowly bloat up a language over a period of years, people don’t seem to mind as much. – James Hague
have to defend Ada again, it was never a bloated language, it simply had really bad compiler implementations. Also there were no free Ada compilers available which strongly contributed to Ada never taking a foothold in academia and industry.

A dialect of PL/I was used by Gary Kildall to make the CP/M operating system which was the defacto OS for all personal computers including all IBM PC's and Apple II's
>>
>>61407824
it's not, rust shills are mad that no one takes them seriously when they claim their better for no reason. it's literally a superiority complex with psychological projection.
>>
C++ is a horrible language, it's even made more horrible by the fact that all substandard programmers us it. ... In fact if using C keeps C++ programmers away, it's a good reason to keep the project C-only
>>
>>61407838
>Also if you actually want safety in C++ you *HAVE* to get a hit at runtime, which doesn't happe in Rust.
This isn't true. You can implement essentially the same feature using a preprocessor/analyser without taking a runtime hit.

>Rust has no template system, because templates are retarded
Says the Rust coder who doesn't understand that templates are there to save you time so you don't have to solve the same problem 60 times. Something that the Go designers didn't understand.

> Rust exceeds C++ most of the time because its zero cost abstractions just compile to better code than what C++ compilers can do
This is utterly false, with TMP and inlining, most of the time C++ code will simply compile to nothing whereas Rust's shit does not.
>>
>>61407824
Get into programming and then you'll understand why only /g/ autists will defend C++
>>
>>61406967
The real problem is that Rust sucks to use compared to C{++}. If you are using C{++}, then it follows that you must need its features (read: its unsafely). Otherwise, you're using the wrong language. Rust says "look, outside of `unsafe` blocks we are totally safe!" which is ignoring the entire use-case of these kinds of languages. So, Rust sucks to use and it will continue to suck to use.

Put the shit that needs to be blazing fast (and usually that means unsafe) into a C{++} library and call it from a higher-level language. There is absolutely no legitimate need for Rust.
>>
>>61407912
>Put the shit that needs to be blazing fast (and usually that means unsafe) into a C{++} library and call it from a higher-level language. There is absolutely no legitimate need for Rust.
Put the shit that needs to be blazing fast (and usually that means unsafe) into an unsafe {} and call it from a higher-level language. There is absolutely no legitimate need for C++
>>
>>61407912
>Put the shit that needs to be blazing fast (and usually that means unsafe) into a C{++} library and call it from a higher-level language. There is absolutely no legitimate need for Rust.
This.
>>
“It took 69 single steps to get past a BOOST_FOREACH() statement. Madness.” – John Carmack

“Saw comment // NEW BOOST CODE, and had a moment of panic before realizing it was vehicle boost, not C++ boost.” – John Carmack

<uriel> kfx: download BOOST and look at that
<kfx> uriel: I do not want to die
<aiju> BOOST is medusa

“The code [BOOST] produces is immune to debugging and sane compiler errors.” – cypherx in /r/programming
>>
>>61407957
What language can call C++ again?
Oh wait not one can. Because C++ is uttter garbage
>>
File: 1498117439711.png (753KB, 1338x5868px) Image search: [Google]
1498117439711.png
753KB, 1338x5868px
>2017
>ACTUALLY defending C++
Is everyone ITT trolling or what?
>>
>>61407894
Based Linus. He probably feels the same way about Rust "programmers". I bet he had a good laugh in regards to Redox OS, when Redox devs shat on Linux and claimed they would make a superior kernel, only to end up with another microkernel piece of shit. C wins, again.
>>
>>61407868
>Looking for links is not a burden of proof
No, but insisting on a claim and providing nothing to back it up and instead saying YOU GO FIND IT LOL is YOU failing on YOUR burden of proof.
You're insisting it's better. You refuse to provide any evidence of that, instead just claiming "there are tons of examples!"
If there really were tons of examples you wouldve been able to pull one out of your ass the second the demand for proof was first asked. Instead, you've done nothing but dodge the question, which just says "I'm wrong but I won't admit it"
>>
File: stl.jpg (99KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
stl.jpg
99KB, 600x800px
kek
>>
>>61407944
>switch to a new language that is far more complicated and makes it harder to accomplish (in the name of safety!) the task you're performing
>abandon 30 years of tooling
>reimplement 30 years of work
>have exactly the same problems you had when you started because you end up placing everything in an `unsafe` block

Bravo.
>>
>>61407971
>What is extern "C"
:3c Could it be that you simply don't know how to use C++?
>>
>>61407991
If you are unable to substantiate the core claimed technical gain of using your language do not be surprised that no one takes your language seriously.
>>
>>61408009
>What is extern "C"
Yeah go ahead and call your non-fizzbuzz function written in C++ from another languge, underage faggot
>>
>This isn't true. You can implement essentially the same feature using a preprocessor/analyser without taking a runtime hit.

Which is awful to do and is subpar to what Rust provides for that kind of thing.

>Says the Rust coder who doesn't understand that templates are there to save you time so you don't have to solve the same problem 60 times.

I do understand templates, I've done C++ for a really long time and I've done all kinds of template trickery.

That doesn't mean templates are a good way to implement generics, quite the contrary, it was just a hack around a lack of proper type system, i.e. see why people actually want concepts in C++.

>Something that the Go designers didn't understand.

Go was designed for retards who can't into type systems, no wonder.

>This is utterly false, with TMP and inlining, most of the time C++ code will simply compile to nothing whereas Rust's shit does not.

Non-retarded benchmarks show the opposite, Rust can be optimized much more easily and even LTO is way more optimizable because of how the compilation unit is devised, that's just how it is.

>>61407912
>Rust says "look, outside of `unsafe` blocks we are totally safe!" which is ignoring the entire use-case of these kinds of languages.

The whole point of Rust is not that you cannot do unsafe things, Rust treats memory safety the same way Haskell treats side effects.

It's about *extending* safety by wrapping the unsafe portion into a safe surface where outside that safe surface you can be 100% sure there's no chance of hitting memory unsafety.
>>
>>61408030
I do that regularly pea-brain
>>
>>61408009
That can't really call C++, you aren't pretending to be an idiot, are you?
>>
>>61408028
Whose side do you think I'm on exactly?
>>
>>61408042
What langauge?
>>
>>61408032
>The whole point of Rust is not that you cannot do unsafe things
UNSAFE BLOCK HAVE YOU HEARD OF IT NEGROID?
>>
>>61408052
>everything is "us vs them"
>>
>>61406655
Kek, I hate Rust but C is only slightly less shitty and has a much larger influence. Fortran uber alles.
>>
>>61408069
I'm saying that the faggot making a claim about Rust being fast/faster than C++ while being safer needs to substantiate said claims, while he repeatedly refuses to do so because "y-you just look it up!"
It has everything to do with him being a massive faggot, and nothing to do with the actual subject material.

Now post your fucking citations.
>>
>>61408061
The unsfafe blocks are quarantined to interface with the rest of your project quite safely. Not him though

I don't expect a C++ pajeets to understand that bit
>>
>>61408032
>It's about *extending* safety by wrapping the unsafe portion into a safe surface where outside that safe surface you can be 100% sure there's no chance of hitting memory unsafety.

Right. But in 2017, that unsafe portion should account for basically the entire C{++} codebase with FFIs to handle runtime logic. If you have to rewrite your application anyway, why wouldn't you hang onto chunks of what currently exist and implement the business logic in a higher-level language that is easier to maintain and faster to develop in than Rust?
>>
>>61408085
Rust is actually faster than C++ if you know how to use it :^)
>>
The only people who think Rust is a good language are the same people who think Haskell has legitimate practical uses.
>>
>>61408086
>quarantined to interface with the rest of your project quite safely
Not really, the whole existence of them proves that Rust is flawed as you can create memory leaks inside unsafe blocks and often precisely the things that would create memory leaks are what need to be written in unsafe blocks.

Rust is snake oil.
>>
File: 8xkpmHQ.jpg (13KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
8xkpmHQ.jpg
13KB, 250x250px
>>61408113
>Now post your fucking citations.
>>
>>61406655
>C has security issues!
>Lets replace it with another side-effect heavy language in order to prevent the security issues!
Yeah, I'm sticking with Ocaml, thanks kid.
>>
>>61408117
Memory leaks are not unsafe
>>
>>61408113
the oracle jvm is faster than gcc's c++ optimizations most of the time.
>>
File: 1489914396171.png (43KB, 645x364px) Image search: [Google]
1489914396171.png
43KB, 645x364px
>>61408126
How will microsoft ever recover?
>>
>>61408130
>I'm sticking to single core
Thanks for your inpot. Go fuck a camel
>>
>>61407837
why is this so funny? Is it the cock?
>>
>>61408108
Because Rust was never made for CRUD bullshit, and rewriting everything in Rust is retarded.

Legacy systems are legacy systems are legacy systems. People telling everyone to rewrite everything in Rust are just retarded and don't understand what that entails.
>>
>>61408160
No the "C++" language
>>
File: 1499444394227.jpg (142KB, 682x768px) Image search: [Google]
1499444394227.jpg
142KB, 682x768px
>>61408148
>Claims Rust is faster
>Provides evidence that it isn't
>>
>>61408148
>posts a flawed "benchmark" as proof
opinion discarded
>>
>>61408174
Looks like it is, though
>>
>>61408169
>Because Rust was never made for CRUD bullshit

What exactly was Rust made for?
>>
>>61408178
>flawed
Why, because it doesn't cater to your opinion?
>>
File: 1500233345937.png (3KB, 273x138px) Image search: [Google]
1500233345937.png
3KB, 273x138px
>>61408183
???
>>
>>61408190
rust was made by the jews to promote white genocide via "diversity" and eternal ecosystem fragmentation.
you can't make programming languages better if no one is a white male.
>>
>>61408210
?????
>>
>>61406655

disregarding politics i understand the concept and agree with it having a place in programming if it theoretically did what they're saying which it doesn't, even then it wouldn't obsolete anything
>>
File: 1498318563621.png (488KB, 1000x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1498318563621.png
488KB, 1000x1050px
>>61408220
>>>/pol/
this is a technology board, not your tinfoil propaganda forum
>>
>>61408225
C is faster than both
>rustfag literally can't read graphs
damage control inbound
>>
>>61408220
Thanks for clearing that up anon. I was confused :>)
>>
>>61408225
>I don't know how to read anomalies on range graphs
If anything that just means C++ is faster "if you know how to use it"
>>
File: 1494332105752.jpg (733KB, 3702x2198px) Image search: [Google]
1494332105752.jpg
733KB, 3702x2198px
>>61408247
>Refute that Rust is faster than C++
>Get BTFO
>B-B-BUT C is faster than both
Go ahead and write C then.
>>
>>61408246
why are you racist towards anime?
>>
>>61408269
So the confidence interval between Rust and C++ is the same AND C++ has worse record?

Who knew?
>>
>>61408282
Hanyuu a best and she loves Rust
>>
>>61408296
> the confidence interval between Rust and C++ is the same
It's not
>AND C++ has worse record?
It doesn't
Learn how to read a graph, jesus christ.
>>
File: I-can-count-to-potato.jpg (77KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
I-can-count-to-potato.jpg
77KB, 407x405px
>>61408134
>Memory leaks are not unsafe
You are the type of person I was referring to here: >>61407770. You have no business being in software engineering. And if it was a formal, certified field like the other branches of engineering, you would have NEVER made the cut.

You should be in middle management somewhere, maybe HR.
>>
>>61408312
>AND C++ has worse record?
Looks like it, the worst record of C, Rust and C++ belongs to [spoiler]C++[/spoiler]
>>
// Implement `Display` for `MinMax`.
impl fmt::Display for MinMax {
fn fmt(&self, f: &mut fmt::Formatter) -> fmt::Result {
// Use `self.number` to refer to each positional data point.
write!(f, "({}, {})", self.0, self.1)
}
}

This is the only reason I need to not use rust.
It is, without question, the ugliest language I have ever seen.
>>
>>61408313
Whatever your opinion is, memory leaks are NOT unsafe. Do your research first, undergrad
>>
File: 1495641113909.png (72KB, 1016x98px) Image search: [Google]
1495641113909.png
72KB, 1016x98px
>>61408341
You haven't seen C++ yet
>>
>>61408329
>It doesn't, look at the graph
>BUT IT DOES
>Look at the graph
>LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOOOOU
If you actually look at the data points used in that graph, you'll see that the outlier is regex-redux.
One test. A single one. C++ is otherwise on average faster and has a tighter runtime bound than Rust.
Learn. To. Fucking. Read.
>>
>>61408358
wtf is this
>>
>>61408345
>memory leaks are not unsafe
rust - not even once
>>
>>61408313
Memory leaks are literally not part of memory safety.

Every other language that solves memory safety through a garbage collector doesn't see memory leaks as memory unsafe.

You can have memory leaks in any kind of language, through reference cycles, forgetting to delete things and whatnot.

If your program leaks memory there's no way to actually exploit it, it will just eventually get killed by the OOM and that is not unsafe.
>>
>>61408341
this isn't hard to read, at least post some macro_rules! fuckery
>>
File: 1456123155782.png (234KB, 696x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456123155782.png
234KB, 696x720px
>>61408361
>One test. A single one.
Weren't you the one who was looking for a single example where Rust is faster than C++?
>>
>>61408382
You still haven't done any research. What do they teach in CS these days? MUH GAYMEN language?
>>
>>61408396
checkmat'd
>>
>>61408341
It's ugly because it's doing loads of concise shit in this particular example
>>
File: 1393703383405.jpg (28KB, 581x307px) Image search: [Google]
1393703383405.jpg
28KB, 581x307px
>special olympics: the thread
>>
File: 1498117439710.png (9KB, 637x130px) Image search: [Google]
1498117439710.png
9KB, 637x130px
>>61408370
C++
>>
>>61406655
>security holes
I don't care about the turf wars, the only thing that matters to me is, is it true?
>>
>>61408518
Yes, Rust actually fixes many security holes by design. /g/ doesn't like it because they have a hate boner against Mozilla and Linux.
>>
>>61407095
This is nothing but class warfare.
>>
lol the only way rustfags can shill is by attacking other. If there was anything worthwhile in the language people would use but even rustfags don't program in rust, they just tell others to rewrite their stuff in rust.
>>
>>61406720
When the C programming was released, there were ASM snobs just like you crying about how systems programming will suffer because of making it easier for amateurs to program using C.
>>
>>61408589
>by attacking other.
Basically what you did, OP
>>
>>61408610
lol no
C was created by people who knew their shit for the needs of a specific OS and due to being as good as it was started taking over.
Rust discards decades of research into static analysis the same way Go discards decades of research into programming language.
>>
Or you know how about you make a compiler flag that puts a stack cannary or hell checks if you try to access the array out of bounds and make keywords that null out objects that you marked as released for dangling pointers same goes for integer overflows, and just to be safe and double wrap with a code flow control with a compiler generated bitmap.
There, all of the codebase of C with slightly upgraded toolchain (which is mature and time tested) and none of the rust bullshit.
The syntax is fucking retarded, the standart libarary is retarded, the agenda is retarded.
Rust if fucking shit.
>>
>>61408610
The difference is that C solved a real problem, and Rust doesn't.
>>
File: 1500232743007.jpg (104KB, 851x478px) Image search: [Google]
1500232743007.jpg
104KB, 851x478px
>>61407095
>>
>>61407030
>C++ stole shit from Java
Java was made nearly 20 years after C++. Once again, Anon is a tech illiterate newfag who knows nothing about technology.
>>
File: 1489567943400.gif (458KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1489567943400.gif
458KB, 256x256px
>>61408541
>/g/ doesn't like it because they have a hate boner against Mozilla and Linux.

Wait, I thought this board was pro-FOSS.
>>
>>61408656
>>C++ stole shit from Java
>Java was made nearly 20 years after C++.
How are thy mutually exclusive?
>>
>>61408358
Looks more like a bad programmer and not a bad language.
>>
>>61408655
i'd smash my balls in her chin
>>
>>61408663
/g/ is pro-proprietary, anti-foss. There are more Linux/Firefox hate threads than Microsoft/Internet Explore hate threads
>>
>>61408672
A C++ programmer is a bad programmer
>>
>>61408358
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>61408637
GCC can already do all this stuff

>>61408693
mozilla turned into a fucking joke but i don't hate them
>>
Does it still count as being an SJW if you're the not the thought police, you're the thought vigilante?

Fuck racists, sexists, homophobes, transphobes, the illuminati, our corporate overlords, etc. They're all pieces of shit.

I say that as one person.

There are people who say things like that as a hive mind (except minus the "the illuminati, our corporate overlords" bit, because then they'd be biting the hand that feeds them). Except, ironically, they're also racists, sexists, heterophobes, and cisphobes. Fuck them too. They're pieces of shit.

I will do my best, as one person not backed by any tyrannical power, to silence and correct ALL hate speech I come across, targeted against ANYONE, except haters, the illuminati, and our corporate overlords.
>inb4 "code for white people"
NO. WRONG. I defend white people against hate speech too, and all the other demographics stereotypically considered the perpetrators of hate against relatively underprivileged minorities, whom, as I've already said, I also defend against hate speech.
And I'm not violating anyone's freedom of speech by doing it, either. An individual cannot violate freedom of speech. I'm challenging the speech, not violating its freedom.

Am I an SJW? y/n and why
>>
File: pool is closed.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
pool is closed.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>61408341
I don't like or even write rust but I can tell what this does. It's also heavily commented, meaning it's less readable than normal code.
>>
>>61406655
>Buffer overflows and dangling pointers lead to catastrophic security holes, again and again and again
So don't write shit code?

I don't think I'm following this logic here.
>>
>>61408693
Half of them are memes that are a part of the board laughable stock.
>>
>>61408725
The link OP provided has nothing to do with SJWs, it's just Microsoft fearmongering
>>
>>61407221
kys
>>
>>61408157
https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-multicore
Newfag.
>>
>>61408730
Just saying "lol don't run into people" does not justify why you would not be turning on the head-light
>>
>>61408341
that has to be the worst thing i've ever seen

>self.0

Rust is hideous.
>>
>>61408725
idk if you're a sjw but you are definitely a faggot
>>
>>61408752
>Microsoft fearmongering
OP here

I have nothing to do with Microsoft you fucking retard. They're just as cancerous as your Mozilla organisation.

KYS
>>
>>61408762
Look, I love OCaml and it's my favorite language syntax-wise, but the real big elephant in the room is not its JS-backend maturity. Rather it doesn't have kernel thread support...all threads are user-level just like Python due to a global lock for garbage collection. This means threads do not run concurrently across multiple cores. This is UNACCEPTABLE in 2014 - roughly 8 years since processors went multi-core. Intel is talking about having hundreds of cores on a single die by next decade and having programs that can't take advantage of that is extremely limiting. Xavier Leroy (the creator of OCaml) and his team at INRIA didn't think this was a big deal because when they were writing this stuff, processors were single core and had been since the beginning. Sure there were multiprocessor machines (not the same as multicore as there are multiple die), but those were only meant for servers/workstations. OCaml seemed very promising around 2006, the peak and end of the single core era with the Intel Pentium 4.
>>
>>61408762
What made OCaml so impressive was not only was it this beautifully simple, high-level functional language, but that the native compiler produced very fast code that was comparable to C/C++ performance. However, as multicore processors were introduced (Intel Core, Core 2), not having this capability made writing new code in OCaml less appealing. There are solutions like MPI, but that's lame. The same excuses you hear in the Python world about having true multithreading you hear in the OCaml world. Microsoft was able to do it with F#, which is essentially a clone of Caml by targeting their .NET CLR. Haskell is able to do it with GHC. I still think OCaml is a wonderful language -- not having true multithreading doesn't make it useless. However, to me it has become more like a statically-typed Python which I can use for scripting. Having to use hacks like MPI to do multicore processing is a huge turn off in a multicore world. This is again nothing against the language, but the standard implementation needs a concurrent garbage collector and kernel threads. Otherwise I think OCaml may be doomed to irrelevance in the long run, which would be truly sad
>>
>>61407047
D is actually fine and it's easy to avoid the garbage collector.
>>
>>61408799
Except you are shilling Microsoft vendor lock in language that treats nix users as second class citizens.
>>
>>61408815
>it's easy to avoid the garbage collector.
No. GC isn't inherently bad, D's GC is. They should really learn from Nim's GC
>>
>>61408774
But to the same respect if you can turn on your headlights and not run into people then you're probably doing better than a lot of other people

This just sounds like a case of "I turn on my headlights and STILL run into people, cars fucking suck lets all use skateboards instead."
>>
File: hmmmm.jpg (46KB, 620x482px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.jpg
46KB, 620x482px
>>61406799
Wait... so they encounter a security hole in their code.. and instead of.. Y'knowtrying to fix it, they just call it an unsafe type of code and pretend it doesn't exist?....

Did I comprehend that right, or did I miss the point?
>>
>>61408823
>Microsoft vendor lock in language
C++ has nothing to do with Microsoft but you Rust faggots can only deflect from the point at hand.

C is what is being attacked by you social justice warriors, as well as C++. C is the language of UNIX, if anyone is a corporate shill it's you.

Now go back to riding the CoC
>>
>>61408725
>Fuck racists, sexists, homophobes, transphobes
>Am I an SJW?
Yes, only a dyed in the wool pinko commie with a hatred for western civilization would use any of these words
>>
>>61408793
Why though? All I want is for there not to be categorical hate speech. Against anyone. Except perpetrators of categorical hate speech, because if there are still perpetrators of categorical hate speech, there's still categorical hate speech, so what's another stream in the ocean of piss, especially if it's full of piss-obliterating nanobots.
>>
I don't into coding that much, but this sounds retarded as fuck. Cry more about it. Wahhh muh language isn't as popular waaaah
>>
>>61408834
There's a performant GC but it can't be ported to Windows as currently implemented.
>>
>>61408846
You basically got it right. They also don't define memory leaks as unsafe "because it can't be exploited".

It's like data execution prevention does not exist. (it does)
>>
>>61406655
The only thing I don't like about Rust is that in EVERY thread about C and related topics, it is full of people shilling it. It's so common I just Ctrl+F "Rust" whenever I open a C programming thread.

Talking more specifically about HN and Reddit, this board thankfully doesn't have the same problem because they would get called out.
>>
>>61408846
You got it right.
>>
>>61408848
So recently the Microsoft-hired C++ board members rejected Clang's Module system. MSVS has its own module implementation of C++

Hmm, I wonder why Clang team got rejected
>>
>>61408852
You are most likely a perpetrator of categorical hate speech. I am sufficiently sure of this to feel comfortable telling you the following:

Fuck you, you're a piece of shit.
>>
Rust should've been a total functional programming language in order to be fully safe.
>>
>>61408853
and people in hell want ice-water. you're still a whiny faggot.
>>
>>61408841
>If I turn on headlights there are stilll chances for me to run over people
>So I must hate people that turn headlights on as I do it myself
Not very convincing startegy
>>
>>61408881
It's sarcasm, buddy. Not that guy but
>>
>>61408859
I don't care about windows. Tell me more about the supposed better performing GC. Is it thread-local?
>>
>>61408887
"Fuck you, you're a piece of shit" is not exactly whining.

If you insist that I'm a "faggot," I'm really more of a violent faggot.
>>
>>61408892
I'm not sure what you're getting at but ok
>>
>>61408874
delet this
>>
>>61408865
>>61408869

.... I honestly have no words.. I have no reaction image that is appropriate. I have debated full on soccermom tier anti-everything fun that could potentially be harmful to the chilluns people and have never encountered that kind of outright refusal to see reality before.

I'm not sure whether I should laugh, cry, drink or go take a smoke break and just sit on the porch and watch the weather for a bit.
>>
>>61408874
Fucked if I care, we're not even allowed to use Windows at work because of the spyware in windows 10. Microsoft is a dying company, the only thing that is growing is Azure.

>>61408881
>Fuck you, you're a piece of shit.
OH BOY THE RUST CODER IS FIRED UP

HE HAS TOLD OFF THE SOCIALLY UNJUST NAZI

WHAT WILL HAPPEN NOW THAT HE HAS BEEN ***TOLD***? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON

SOCIAL
JUSTICE
Z
>>
>>61408897
Oh.
Tongue-in-cheek humor is not something I parse very well when I'm in thought vigilante mode.
>>
>>61408917
Not that anon, but i think that you're just a regular old whiny faggot.
>>
>>61408943
>I'm in thought vigilante mode
This is the real reason you're an SJW
>>
>>61408932
>I just can't, the post
Rust the reddit/tumblr language.
>>
>>61408917
There you whiny faggots go making everything about feces and copulating again.

>this machine kills fascists XD
>>
>>61408939
You are not seeing what's obvious, my man. Unfortunately, C++ comitte only listens to Microsoft.

It's basically the same thing that happened with W3C this week, W3C standardized Web DRM technology because MS, Google and Netflix told them to do so.

W3C did it for the money
>>
>>61408939
I can tell that was meant to get my goat. Sorry, my goat is not for sale to low life scum who should have been postnatally aborted with flamethrowers.
>>
>tfw your arguments against a language are so bad you have to tie it to "muh sjw agenda" to make it seem bad

lmao how fucking stupid can you be

I am not invested in this argument on either side, it's just amazing how dumb you guys are.
>>
>>61408990
Most of /g/ are schoolkids
>>
>>61408939
Remarks that violate the Rust standards of conduct, including hateful, hurtful, oppressive, or exclusionary remarks, are not allowed in the Rust thread.
>>
>>61408963
But what about the not being controlled by corporate overlords and the illuminati though

>>61408952
>>61408975
see: >>61408979
>>
>>61408874
I don't think wincucks care, they are busy making another FOSS hate thread
>>
>D is the new meme language to replace C/C++
>D is dead
>Go is the new meme language to replace C/C++
>Go is dead
>Rust is the new meme language to replace C/C++
>Rust is dead

I wonder what the next one will be.
>>
>>61409023
C++
>>
>>61409008
s/illuminati/jews/
>>
Can we please physically remove all rustniggers already?
>>
>>61409023
Chapel or swift
>>
>>61409023
I don't think C++ is as popular as it were 4-5 years ago.

Here is my bold statement: Memory safety will kill C++
>>
Okay so what language does /g/ like?
>>
>>61409041
>MUH SAFE SPACE
Fuck off back to plebbit, pajeet
>>
>>61408979
anon, does your father know your uncle sexually abused you as a child?

honesty heals.
>>
>>61406655
>Jon Evans writes that the C programming language "gives its users far too much control
>>
>>61408977
>Unfortunately, C++ comitte only listens to Microsoft.
It's because Herb Sutter is on the committee, but actually they've rejected a lot of microsoft's thread safety bullshit.
>>
>>61409051
/g/ Likes Windows and C++
>>
>>61409032
>jews
I'm not controlled by jews either. Fuck you for hating jews, but as for those jews who hate whites, blacks, christians, muslims, atheists, """goyim""", men, and straight and/or cis folk, fuck those jews too, they should kill themselves!
>>
>>61409059
>they've rejected a lot of microsoft's thread safety bullshit.
For now*
>>
>>61409052
Why would Pajeet be against Rust?
>>
>>61409075
>im not controlled by jews goy!
>>
>>61409083
It's not OOP
>>
>>61409053
It was my father who did it. And yes, my uncle knows. My whole family knows, that's why we don't talk to him anymore. I hope he's doing alright.
>>
>>61409094
kek
>>
>>61409083
>>61409094
I chuckled
>>
>>61409092
Wow, I didn't know you couldn't read!
No offense to people who can't read. Fuck anyone who hates people who can't read, such people (the haters) deserve to die.
>>
>>61409095
confirmed literal incestuous jewish faggot
>>
>>61409075
Jews love Christians since Christianity is a derivative of Judaism and it's the Christians bringing in the Muslims to Europe to help destabilize the Middle East for zionist conquering. Reminder that paganism is the only religion for Whites
>>
>>61409120
>implying victims of child sexual abuse are at fault for what happened to them
>perpetrating hate speech against victims of child sexual abuse
Kill yourself! :)
>>
>>61409083
White/Asian nerd: C++, C, Assembler
Pajeet: Java
White SJW: Javascript, node.js
Subhuman mozilla developer mode: Rust
>>
>>61409121
Fuck any jews who hate pagans too.
Also, you seem like you hate jews, christians, and muslims, so fuck you too.
>>
>>61409136
>OOP
Not white. Fuck off, rajesh
>>
>be anon
>be at synagogue
>see dad
>decide i want his man-meat in my throat
>fast forward 10 years
>now I tell people to kill themselves on the internet
>>
>>61409136
Assembler is not a language, pajeet
>>
>>61409136
Nigger: Ook!
https://esolangs.org/wiki/Ook!
>>
>>61409008
>>61409075
>But what about the not being controlled by corporate overlords and the illuminati though
First of all, when people say "Illuminati" they mean Jews. Same thing with reptilians and Atlantis and flat earth stuff. It's always code for Jews. The whole conspiracy theory movement was a deliberate effort to psychologically prime people and acclimate them to neonazi propaganda. None of it is real.

Second, it would have been a good idea to hit the brakes on economic deregulation in the 70s and 80s and keep antitrust laws in place while they still could have done some good, but that horse is so far out of the barn I think our whole economy is fucked and we're just gonna have to suffer through years of feudalism until the system eventually implodes. You and me and all other humans beings with incomes of less than a million dollars are already effectively serfs. I'm not gonna be the one to bring out the guillotines but if you wanna try it, be my guest.
>>
>>61408932
I'm stockpiling ammunition, canned goods and have ashelter out on the sticks about a day hike from my house.

Get ready to watch the world burn and laugh as it does
>>
>>61409159
It literally is.
>>
>>61409142
When you first said you will defend ANYONE against hate speech and you'll use hate speech to do it, I didn't believe you.
I believe you now, but I also see that despite all that, what you're doing is a really bad idea.
Anon stop.
Categorical hate and prejudice is human nature.
If you told everyone who hates any entire demographic at all to kill themselves, and they all listened, there would be no one left.
You may not realize it but you're fixing to destroy the world here.
>>
>>61409177
Whateveer you say, pajeet.
>>
>>61409136
White Aryan: Golang
>>
File: 1499965176430.png (47KB, 1045x440px) Image search: [Google]
1499965176430.png
47KB, 1045x440px
>>61409187
>>
>>61409130
>says he will defend ANYONE from categorical hate speech
>doesn't defend pedophiles
>supports repressing normal expression of sexuality

KYS NAZI SCUM
>>
>>61409194
topkek
It's on its way to fix that pile of shit!
>>
>>61409183
See, even Pajeets don't make bullshit claims (unlike you).
>>
>>61409217
Okay, pajeet.
>>
>>61409220
No problem, Tyrone.
>>
fuck you shitlords

you have a new language to learn
>>
>>61407741
>I disagree, it's mostly a rehash of ADA
What does the Americans with Disabilities Act have to do with this?
>>
>>61409136
C was the Java of the 80s.
>>
File: 1449418535362.jpg (35KB, 281x281px) Image search: [Google]
1449418535362.jpg
35KB, 281x281px
>rustfags this mad nobody will use their shit language
>>
Assembly is NOT a language, fucking faggots!
>>
>>61409265
I actually see Rust quite frequently in /r/dailyprogrammer
>>
>>61409205
I do defend pedophiles. Innocent pedophiles. Their sexual feelings are a mental illness, and that's not hate, that's scientific fact. But it's wrong to hate someone for having a mental illness. Do you even realize how hard life is for pedophiles who have not committed child molestation and try their best to live normal lives without hurting anyone? I know from experience, the sexuality they experience is not just sexuality as you or I know it, it's pure distilled pain. Do you even have any idea what kind of hurt someone has to live with for those wires to cross up there? Child molesters / predators are truly disgusting. But people who are tending in that direction and successfully continue to hold themselves back are beautiful souls and don't you fucking dare hate them for what they are.
>>
How exactly is Mozilla an SJW organization? The only time that they have demonstrated SJW tendencies is when they caved to pressure and fired their CEO. Are there other instances? Serious question, because that's the only example anyone ever brings up.
>>
>>61409288
anon, we don't want to hear about what it's like be a pedophile

take you, your scat-and-child related perversions, and go back to /r/theresistance.
>>
>>61409293
They don't hire literal Nazis
>>
>>61408724
Yes GCC does have all of that maybe apart from the control flow guard, im not sure if it does have an implementation but i know that MS compiler is supposed to have one since windows 10 supports it and uses it for system libraries that wrap the system calls and if im not mistaken can/is used on the kernel.

That was my original point, GCC can implement the compiler generated security features (which rust tries to do) and be nearly as safe as rust with maybe less of shooting it self in the foot.
>>
>>61407944
you're literally proving the point that rust fags can't find a point to blame other languages on than "safety". and in rust its not even safe even though they promote it.

Moist Rust programmers will just .clone() the fuck out of everything and not care. there are even entire rust frameworks which will remove any and all boundary so you can program unsafe behavior.

your language and community have nothing to leverage on.

not speed, not safety and definitely not eco system
>>
>>61409046
>Memory safety will kill C++
CAN YOU FUCKS ARGUE ANYTHING ELSE THAN SAFETY ?
>>
>>61408846
this
/thread
>>
>>61409293
They fired their CEO because he donated to the wrong political cause
>>
>>61410040
i still wonder to this day why mozilla exists
>>
>>61410063
making a good browser certainly isn't one of the reasons
>>
>>61408345
>>61408387
>numerous exploits have taken advantage of leaked memory
>"memory leaks are LITERALLY not unsafe and i am LITERALLY triggered"
>t. Rust Bahbee

You have both illustrated my comment here: >>61407770

Go into another field. Maybe car sales. Or cashier at Walmart.
>>
File: lmao.png (68KB, 838x471px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.png
68KB, 838x471px
Is it possible to like rust simple because i can apply functional programming concepts and still have decent speed ?

I hate the fucking community and avoid it like the plague. (to the point of blocking /r/rust from my browser)

Rust is fine as a language if you want something else than OOP and imperative.

Just ignore the community at all costs.
>>
>>61408278
I love that someone actually learned the C++ template clusterfuck and operator overrides...and then made an infographic about it, but never heard about function pointers or void casts.

Never change, /g/.
>>
>>61410259
Runtime overhead.
>>
>>61407165
What a coicidence.
>>
>>61410040
Read my goddamned comment. I was asking about shit other than giving in to SJW bullying, and you brought up the time they gave into SJW bullying. I think it was a shitty move, but the alternative was for them to lose a shit tonne of funding. What ELSE have they done?
>>
>techcrunch
>>
>>61407199
"noob friendly" servers are always infested with psychopaths
>>
>>61407866
Knuth is an amazing mathematician, he is known for being a titan on computer science. Computer science != programming, or like your people would say, "koding".
>>
>>61408278
>rustfags can't cast

Pathetic.
>>
>>61408725

>Does it still count as being an SJW if you're the not the thought police, you're the thought vigilante?
Actually yes. BLM and Antifa actually advocate for the removal of the police, replacing it with mob justice. The thought police will give you your day in court for wrongthink. The thought vigilante will just hit you with a bike lock.

>Fuck racists, sexists, homophobes, transphobes, the Illuminati, our corporate overlords, etc. They're all pieces of shit.
Yes, they are all horrible people... but they have equal rights to you. Also, interesting that you mention the Illuminati. I've got some friends and family in the masons. As I have been informed, the Illuminati are "an old Italian lodge that had their charter revoked," and "they aren't that powerful."
>>
>mfw soon rustfags will advocate for rust replacing assembly code

The language is such a joke that the own name is autological. Your lack of knowledge of how stuff work on machine-level makes you feel comfortable by exporting the burden of making a secure code to a compiler made by God-know-who.
Thread posts: 370
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.