[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /g/ know if AMD eventually fixed the buggy VME implementation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: ryzen.jpg (51KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ryzen.jpg
51KB, 1280x720px
Does /g/ know if AMD eventually fixed the buggy VME implementation on their ryzen chips?
>>
>>61401454

google.com
>>
>>61401456
Couldn't find anything specific, only old blog posts reporting on the issue. I do virtualization, so this is a concern for me.
>>
AGESA 1.0.0.6
>>
>>61401462

Thanks!
>>
they did in all but a few EXTREMELY specific use cases. fully functional for 99% of use cases. should be fixed completely with the next AGESA update.
>>
Windows XP 32bit works fine here.
1700x on Gigabyte K7 with AGESA 1.0.0.6 and Fedora 26 (KVM/qemu) as host.
>>
>>61401523

Thanks for the insight, I'll consider buying a Ryzen chip now; the VME bug was the only thing holding me back (and the lack of support from the Linux side of things).
Once these two issues are resolved, I'll just say goodbye to Intel I guess.

I only hope that AMD will cooperate more on a free implementation of their graphics drivers, so that I can use a deblobbed kernel, like I can on Intel.
>>
>>61401569
Linux support is decent since Kernel 4.10.*, with 4.11 and 4.12 things are even better.
Shit just werks.
The only thing I don't like is fucking ALC1220 that pretty much makes pulseaudio hard dependency.
I spent at least a couple of hours on Gentoo trying to make it work decently using Alsa alone but couldn't make it.
All in all Ryzen is fucking great, get a 1700x and don't bother with CPU overclock, it is not worth the hassle.
Just get a decent kit of RAM that is known to work at 2933/3200 MHz tho (Crucial value 2x16 GB are a good low cost option).
>>
>>61401645
What about graphics? Is there a good AMD graphics card one can run with free software alone?

Also, I was thinking about waiting for Threadripper to come out, but since that having a bug-less and errata-less chip is one of my priorities, I wouldn't buy it at launch.
>>
>>61401738

To be fair ryzen is essentially the beta testing for threadripper and epyc.
>>
>>61401837
stop being dumb, anon
>>
>>61401738
I don't know, I curretly run a 10 years old gtx260.
My only requirement regarding graphic cards is be able to drive 2 displays and working fine with nouveau.
Threadripped will be expensive as fuck compared to Ryzen.
A lot more powerful but also like more than 2 times expensive.
>>
Wendel from level1tech talks about it being fixed 99%
>>
>>61401865

So, I would have to buy a $799 CPU, but then get some very old nvidia GPU off of ebay that can run with nouveau.
I don't do gaming, but couldn't this bottleneck the system somehow?

I mostly care about having a display output, and having some decent acceleration (2D/3D).

I really would like for companies to release more documentation in regerds to their hardware.
>>
>>61401951
I am not suggesting you do that, I used what I already had (the aforementioned GTX260).
Before buying a nvidia graphic card give a look at this: https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
If you don't game or use CUDA/etc you don't need a powerful or new graphic card.
I can't comment on ATI or new-ish graphic cards in general, the most up to date nvidia I used is a GTX750ti that worked like shit in dual monitor configuration (like once a day I had my desktop freeze).
That's why I reverted back to the GTX260.
>>
>>61401454
>http://www.os2museum.com/wp/vme-fixed-on-amd-ryzen/
>>
>>61401454
>Does /g/ know if
Why would /g/ know any better than the rest of the internet
>>
https://community.amd.com/thread/215773
Still waiting word on this
>>
>>61403939
same
that 64 byte offset bug is fucking annoying
>>
>>61403939
This is interesting too...
>>
>>61401569
>(and the lack of support from the Linux side of things).
>works since release
>lack of support
kys
>>
>>61401738
Anything recent that supports the new free amdgpu driver.
I have RX 460 and it works great.
>>
>>61401738
yes amd/ati is best because radeon and amdgpu drivers tho radeon maybe weak for gaymes which is why all the hurrdurr when ubongo ditched catalyst recently but this applies for older cards only
>>
>>61404386
I was referring to the GPU/Graphics stuff mainly.
Also "works" doesn't mean that it works as it should.

>>61404395
Firmware blobs free?
>>
>>61401569
>I only hope that AMD will cooperate more on a free implementation of their graphics drivers, so that I can use a deblobbed kernel, like I can on Intel.

amdgpu + Mesa 17 already surpassed their proprietary AMDGPU-PRO driver in OpenGL performance and is very close in Vulkan.
>>
>>61404432
>I was referring to the GPU/Graphics stuff mainly.
then you were still wrong
>>
>>61404432
Amdgpu is part of the linux kernel so yes. You opnly need proprietary for now if you need opencl above 1.1 and freesync.
>>
>>61404432
>Firmware blobs free?
No. I think every vendor requires them now.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.