[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HackerRank -- Good or bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: logo_HRwordmark2700x670_2-1.png (57KB, 2700x670px) Image search: [Google]
logo_HRwordmark2700x670_2-1.png
57KB, 2700x670px
Hey /g/,

I just graduated University with a MS in Mathematics. My MS was focused primarily on control theory and I took some applied math classes which had some coding assignments, but I didn't do anything extreme coding at all. I was given projects and was just told to do certain things; we weren't graded on coding elegance, ease or anything of the like.

Anywho, I'm starting to look for positions in the tech field and I'm practicing my coding. I've forgotten a bit of it (aside from the stuff I learned in my recent MS), but I've become fond of HackerRank. Found out about it three days ago and I've been spending hours on solving problems in many of their sections.

Questions:

1. Is this a good way to refine/learn coding? I'm also learning from a book by doing some self studying, but HackerRank is really awesome and I find myself enjoying coding a lot more.

2. For some of the problems, is it bad to use Google for parts of it? For example, for one problem, I was able to develop a nice algorithm to solve it, but forgot how to find the min/max of an array (which was necessary for my algorithm to work). I looked up how to implement the min/max of an array, understood/learned the logic of it and then implemented it into my own code. The algorithm worked, I was happy. Is this bad or considered cheating? I didn't look up the question itself.

3. The algorithms and code I develop seem to be a bit more ... plentiful? I see other people solve coding challenges with like 10 lines of code while mine has 15 or more lines. Or, they have two for loops, but I have three or four. I'd imagine this is bad, but how bad is it?

Also, any advice for someone who wants to work for a FinTech/EdTech company? Thanks.
>>
someone who is this coddled ever finding a job seems very unlikely
>>
>>61401419
How so? Genuinely curious how you think I'm being coddled. Wouldn't being coddled imply that I need to always have approval for anything/everything I do, not writing a bit of code before pushing it? I've done all the coding myself, so...I don't understand.

Can you elaborate?
>>
>>61401434
Go back to school pajeet.
>>
>>61401529
>pajeet
I'm white, but thanks.

Also, no. Although I had a scholarship for my MS, I still had to take out some loans (not a lot, thankfully). Besides, I've spent a good chunk of my life in school; I don't plan on returning just to get another BS/MS, when I have them already.

I'd just like to analyze my options from this point forth, without going back to school. Given the statistics, about 50% of software engineers/developers in the field don't even have a degree in Comp Sci. Many of the best software engineers have degrees in STEM (e.g., physics, mathematics, EE, etc.). I fall in that latter group.

I'm clearly learning from a book and solving problems from the book, plus HackerRank; I just want to know if my plan is pretty alright for the most part.
>>
>>61401564
>Implying CS/CE is not stem
Nigga
>Implying you will learn to work with enterprise code by having a shit tier degree and "koding" on some meme websites
Bigga Nigga
>>
It's a good abstraction of problems you might encounter in practice. The problem with all the sites is that the questions are either trivial, super hard or medium difficulty and you do those for a while until the futility of the exercises becomes crushing because they are so isolated and serve no final use (happened to me with codeeval, codewars...).

It's always fine to use Google, it will help you learn instead to do some brute force solution.

More code doesn't mean a worse algorithm.
Often more efficient implementations need more lines as they have stopping criteria etc.
Maybe the other solutions know a few more builtin language constructs and syntax they know how to use.
The good thing is you can look at the code and compare runtime and figure out which is better.

Be warned, don't think these code challenge sites will get your foot in any doors
>>
>>61401564
Face it pajeet you'll going nowhere
Now log in back to Lebbit and upvote some puns
>>
>but forgot how to find the min/max of an array
you are seriously literally retarded if you need to google this
or if you are asking crap like this
>For some of the problems, is it bad to use Google for parts of it?
>>
>>61401844
Thanks for this advice. Appreciate it.

I only want to use the site to refine my skills and keep me up to date, so to speak; never wanted to use it to get my foot in the door. Thanks for the warning, though.

>>61401826
>A Mathematics degree from the Courant Institute of Mathematics is a shit tier degree according to a /g/ poster.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Also, I meant non-Comp Sci/engineering STEM degrees. Many people I know are Physics/Math/EE majors and they're working as software engineers/developers. Hell, the founders of Robin Hood have degrees in Math/Physics, respectively.

>>61401847
This is shitposting on another level. But thanks for nothing, I guess.
>>
>>61401911
Yes, it was an unsorted array of N integers. I didn't want to sort them to find the min/max; I just needed to find the min/max. But fuck you, regardless.

>For some of the problems, is it bad to use Google for parts of it?
Yes, because I don't want it to take away from the learning experience?

Nevermind, I don't know why I started a thread on /g/. Clearly, it's not the most helpful place. I'll be deleting the thread.

Thanks for the decent advice from that one anon. I appreciate it.
>>
>>61401950
>I just needed to find the min/max
Like I said, you ARE literally retarded if you need to google this.
You can't program you fucking retard if you can't figure out how to find min/max by yourself in a few seconds.
>>
It's better than watching anime for sure. I'm sure you become better at these type of problems by solving more of them.
Don't wait too learning absolute everything and expect to be able to tick every box the employer "requires", apply for jobs and see what they really mean when they say they need person who knows x. "The industry" has no uniform way of vetting people, they all do whatever they think is the best to find what they want.

Is it better to make lot of small separate demos, different algorithms, techniques, using different libraries tools etc. Or is it better to try do one huge project which has less content but shows ability to work on a more realistic, less synthetic project.
>>
>>61401978
Go fuck yourself, you shitposting faggot. Everyone starts somewhere and people forget even the most basic shit.

Just because you're a fucking loser with no life doesn't give you the right to shit on someone who actually wants to learn, to improve themselves and create something better. I admit that I'm not that good at programming (right now), but I'm getting better at it everyday and I'm learning new things/concepts.

Congrats, you didn't have to look that up yourself when you began coding. If I asked you to prove the Bolzano-Weierstrauss theorem or, better yet, compute a simple fucking integral, you'd blubber about like a retard.

It's not my fault you're a fucking failure at everything except coding. Congrats, you faggot nigger. Go jerk off some more into your towel and piss in some jugs, you NEET basement dwelling piece of shit.
>>
>>61401254

>>61401844
Fucking this. HackerRank is extra shit because it forces you to use stdin/stdout on everything, even in web programming languages where the concept is irrelevant and just results in needless boilerplate and makes debugging a pain.

Doing code challenges won't get you any interviews but a lot of web dev jobs are now using Hacker Rank to filter out people who can't code. So being familiar with their system will help if you are looking to get into web dev.

I'd say try and brute force a solution first. Then google t and refactor based on what you find.
>>
>>61402004
*don't wait too long
>>
stop acting like a normie and get triggered by every single post, wtf

here you have a good post >>61402004

since you're an MS in math I guess you would like to have a look in Project Euler

keep practicing and improving
>>
Sorta related but aren't sites like hackerrank equivalent to the shovel sellers in a gold rush. When the shovel sellers appear maybe the biggest rush is already over. Miners always appear before the shovel sellers, not the other way around. Why would you sell your shovel if there is gold in the ground underneath you.
You see some long time industry professionals saying "starting now is so easy, there are so many ways to learn and get started". They completely miss the point that the competition has become 100x more fierce. Getting started has actually become a lot harder.
It's still a good industry to be in, lot of things still to discover. If you look at 3d effects, modelling, there are so much more tutorials, courses and material(why has making tutorials become more profitable than the actual industry work). I think I'd still rather be programmer than 3d modeler for example. I think the shovel seller heuristic holds.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.